• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

syllogism

TheGreatDave said:
Should Persona 3 be a hard game to run? I've got a 4850 and a Dual Core at around 3ghz, but as soon as the game gets to actual gameplay everything is in slow motion; voices included. Is this something a tweak should fix; I admit I'm ignorant as to what all those speed options do.
It should run pretty well with the right tweaks, but apparently for some reason possibly worse than persona 4. Look here:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3015.html

Zenith

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Should Persona 3 be a hard game to run? I've got a 4850 and a Dual Core at around 3ghz, but as soon as the game gets to actual gameplay everything is in slow motion; voices included. Is this something a tweak should fix; I admit I'm ignorant as to what all those speed options do.

no, it's one of the easiest. I'm halfway through it.

don't expect memory card saves to work. even if you save it successfully it could corrupt at any time. very common with any game. i use savestates.

f@luS

More than a member.
i dont understand why budokai 3 isnt full 50Fps (it often drops to 40) with C2D@3.3 , 4gb ddr , 4850 ati. naruto is 60fps full speed

snakeater

It's working great for me with Okami! (had to use GSDx 890 0.1.14 patch to get graphics showing correctly though). Without the frame limiter I'm getting between 80-100 FPS (Core i7 940 @3.2 GHz - 6gb RAM - GTX 280 SLI)

Edit: running at a D3D internal (native) resolution of 1920X1080

burgerdog

maniac-kun said:
go to cpu setup and activate limit

Awesome, that worked! Now the only problem is that cinemas have artifacts and go down to 15FPS, any fix for that?

1zocmzb.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still no answer...

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to select a proper fullscreen resolution with the ZeroGS plugin? 1280x1024 is simply not going to cut it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Haunted said:
Wow, Odin Sphere looks and runs beautifully.

Awesome!

Did anyone tried Ratchet And Clank games, Jak and Daxter games, Ace Combat 5, Gran Tourismo 3 & 4, and Star Wars Ep3? :D

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
15 fps and glitchy 2d at lowest settings with BoF:DQ :(. Thankfully my PS2 is still going strong... I'd like this to run at 100% to get rid of the native underscan though.

GaussTek said:
Ehmm, what version/plugins are you using? I get flickering with Fantasy Zone II DX :(

Edit: NVM, tried ZeroGS and works better. Some lines in the screen, but perfectly playable.

You can get rid of those lines (or significantly reduce them) but pressing select in-game, then going to display options, and changing the texture mapping to smooth. They basically vanish.

Baryn

Banned
Does anyone who is testing own Yakuza? The interlacing really hurt that game's visuals, if someone could show me the game in HD with AA, I will let you touch me where no one ever has -- my heart.

Mamesj

Banned
Baryn said:
Does anyone who is testing own Yakuza? The interlacing really hurt that game's visuals, if someone could show me the game in HD with AA, I will let you touch me where no one ever has -- my heart.

I haven't tested it on this new version of PCSX2, but on the old version, some terribly tragic stuff happened with the vaseline filter on the game. It becomes wayyy more pronounced and is a bit glitchy. On the other hand, the game was playable and I played past the funeral scene.

I'll test the game on this version later on.

Nice, can't wait to try this tonight. Maybe I'll finally be bothered to beat FFXII.

I've got a laptop running these specs:

2.2ghz Core Duo 2
nvidia 8600M GT
3GB ram
vista os

Ok enough?

Asparagus

Edit - Missed Mamesj's post. It's going to be great replaying the Yakuzas when all of the issues have been sorted out.

Yakuza 1
pcsx2-yakuza1.jpg

Yakuza 2
pcsx2-yakuza2p1.jpg

pcsx2-yakuza2p2.jpg

I set the internal res to 1600 to get rid of most of the jaggies. Yakuza 1&2 both have graphical problems as you can see in some of the pics, the cutscenes tend to be very blurry as well. Probably still playable if you can put up with it.

Because it's awesome-
pcsx2-dq8p1.jpg

suikodan

I'm going to try FFXII tonight but I'd like to know if some people played this game for a long time as I'd like to be able to play through it.

Also, anyone knows if I can take a PS3's PS2 Exported savegame and use it with the emulator?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Ugh.

This is always the most frustrating point in emulator development. Halfway between unplayable/power hungry and stable/easy to use. It's such an annoying tease. The trial and error involved with labyrinthine plug-ins and settings is just ridiculous at this point.

Yes, YES I know some of you are getting stuff running on the latest GPUs and CPUs but you're the exception.

Hopefully the rate of improvement will continue with PCSX2.

GaussTek

Seems there's a new PCSX2-PG SVN (681) at the official forums:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2731.html
(You need to register there first)

Pcsx2 PLayground beta 681
Main changes are, God of War and Kingdom Hearts 2 are now playable. Kingdom hearts 2 requires the appropriate gamefix, same as God of War

Seems a bit slower to me, but it's because my crappy setup :lol

zbarron

burgerdog said:
Do you guys get that line in the middle of your models, too?
I do. I think the game just isn't meant to be this high of a resolution.

dark10x said:
Still no answer...

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to select a proper fullscreen resolution with the ZeroGS plugin? 1280x1024 is simply not going to cut it.
I don't think you can. Try using the GSDX plugin.

Asparagus said:
What setting did you use to get it to look like that. Mine came out so different.

Edit: I see. You went lower than the native so it would blur.

RiZ III

Hot damn FF12 is an amazing looking game! And yea, the black line in the middle of the model is because of the way they render the character models in FF12. Only half the character geometry is stored, the rest is generated on the fly, so with the resolution being super high, you can actually see the artifact from it.

DieH@rd

Banned
GaussTek said:
Main changes are, God of War and Kingdom Hearts 2 are now playable. Kingdom hearts 2 requires the appropriate gamefix, same as God of War

Nice.

EGM92

Kingdom Hearts 2?! I JUST CAME!!! Anyone able to test if CoM works on it as well? they're on the same engine iirc

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think you can. Try using the GSDX plugin.
The results produced by the GSDX plug-in seem considerably worse, though. Lots of additional graphical glitches appeared when I used it. It does support proper fullscreen resolution selection, though.

JSnake

GaussTek said:
Seems there's a new PCSX2-PG SVN (681) at the official forums:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2731.html
(You need to register there first)

Seems a bit slower to me, but it's because my crappy setup :lol

Actually GoW isn't completely playable. It crashes a fuckton sometime after the first boss. KH2, however, works perfectly in my experience.

Asparagus

zbarron said:
What setting did you use to get it to look like that. Mine came out so different.

Edit: I see. You went lower than the native so it would blur.

I had the internal res at 1600, full screen res at 1680x1050 rendered with GSDX in DX10 with texture filtering ticked. I'm not sure what you mean by going lower than the native res, lowest I go is 1024.

Edit - I guess that pic does look a little blury, that whole scene is like that though. Here's a pic from inside the town using the settings I listed above. Could also be because I saved the pic as a jpeg?

pcsx2-dq8p2.jpg

suikodan

Yay, finally got FFXII working very decently and, thru some magic tricks, was able to get my in-PS3 saved game from 2006 working as well! Yay! :D Now I need to relearn how to play. It works very well on my 1080p 46" HDTV. THIS is what I want with PS2 emulation on PS3.

zbarron

Asparagus said:
I had the internal res at 1600, full screen res at 1680x1050 rendered with GSDX in DX10 with texture filtering ticked. I'm not sure what you mean by going lower than the native res, lowest I go is 1024.

Edit - I guess that pic does look a little blury, that whole scene is like that though. Here's a pic from inside the town using the settings I listed above. Could also be because I saved the pic as a jpeg?
Let me show you what mine looks like.
12141080p1.jpg

This is 1920x1080 with filtering on. See how terrible the edges look?

Oh. I think I get it. 2560x1600. Yeah. That does look nice.

itxaka

Defeatist
I tried it on my gf laptop and ffx runs at 15fps :(

Does anyone know how patches work? I see one patch for ffx but the SCESxxxx numer doesn't match mine so it's not applied.

So does the emulator only run ROMs or disc images? Also does it work with PS(1) games, whenever I try to load Persona 2 it just takes me back to the browser...

EGM92

itxaka said:
I tried it on my gf laptop and ffx runs at 15fps :(

Does anyone know how patches work? I see one patch for ffx but the SCESxxxx numer doesn't match mine so it's not applied.

what are her specs? you need a mininum of a dual core 2ghz to get "decent" speeds. Patches and hacks don't always do much.

EGM92

SlaughterX said:
So does the emulator only run ROMs or disc images? Also does it work with PS(1) games, whenever I try to load Persona 2 it just takes me back to the browser...

No you can load your DVD games but you'll get performance issues, it's better to ISO the disk and load it from that. Why would you want to run PS1 games on this when A. It's not complete B. There are much better PS1 dedicated emulators out there?

I posted this in the Can We Talk About Emulators Here thread but I suppose it's more fitting here: Anyone know if ps2 emus have got to the point where I can play fighters like KoF XI, KoF 98 UM, KoF MI:RA, Rumble Fish, CvS 2, and SFAA @ a stable 60 fps? Last time I tried I got fluctuating frame rates from 30-65 when playing XI (game I want to play the most) so sometimes it was perfectly smooth and others it was crap.

itxaka

Defeatist
EGM92 said:
what are her specs? you need a mininum of a dual core 2ghz to get "decent" speeds. Patches and hacks don't always do much.

Oh, then it doesn't matter as it's a shitty laptop single core 2,4Ghz. thanks anyway, just seeing the game running made me happy :D

EGM92 said:
No you can load your DVD games but you'll get performance issues, it's better to ISO the disk and load it from that. Why would you want to run PS1 games on this when A. It's not complete B. There are much better PS1 dedicated emulators out there?

Becuase my PS emulator isn't working right now and that was the only ISO I had around. How do I get it to load games off the disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom