• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Baha

For the few that are interested, the 1st chapter of the Valkyria Chronicles manga was translated yesterday.

Snaku

Banned
Beat chapter 8 and 9 last night. Chapter 9 was ridiculously easy.

And woah my gawd @ the fan service in the R&R chapter! Alicia...*drool* Oh and wtf was Welkin wearing? It looked like he had small tits, and was seriously creeping me out.

Snaku said:
Beat chapter 8 and 9 last night. Chapter 9 was ridiculously easy.

And woah my gawd @ the fan service in the R&R chapter! Alicia...*drool* Oh and wtf was Welkin wearing? It looked like he had small tits, and was seriously creeping me out.

If you didn't know, the costumes are available for viewing in the Personnel tab. Drool over Alicia all day if you want.

Koren

Psychotext said:
Polishing off the game now with some of the hard skirmishes. Level 2 is pretty vicious.
Yes, hard skirmishes are pretty interesting. I'm waiting for the extra hard.

I'm still thinking the second one can be done in 1 turn, though
Use Alicia, Rosie and Largo, throw Awaken and Defense Boost on Alicia (3CP), hope for Resist Counterfire and Double mouvement to trigger, and reach main enemy base in 1 turn. Then, play : you have to receive enough damages to trigger Valkyria (<50% HP), and then, you can attack the gatlings... When you go above half HP (damn Mysterious body, for once), go in front of gatlings (be careful if you haven't triggered Resist Counterfire, though). You have 6CP to destroy them... should be possible AFAIK. Unfortunately, I had Gallian S20-R equipped, so I needed 11 shots to kill them, and I had 5 shots per turn. There's weapons with less precision but 30% more attack power, or more bullets per action, so I'm pretty confident it's possible...

I'm still wondering how the last mission before the final boss is possible in two turns, on the opposite.

vpance said:
So what is the secret New Game+ mission or journal or whatever? Someone spoil it for me.
This enables you to play the game a second time with your current stats and skippable cinematics. They give you stats on missions, hard skirmishes, and you'll be given the opportunity to unlock special (powerful) abilities, more data, get all medals, and so on. It's really a pleasure to continue playing, although the story mode is really, really too easy the second time (you can pretty much 1-turn nearly all missions with Alicia in solo)

Snaku

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
If you didn't know, the costumes are available for viewing in the Personnel tab. Drool over Alicia all day if you want.

Heh, maybe I will. Still wondering why Welkin borrowed his suit from Isara? :shudder:

ianp622

hwateber said:
the battle with jaeger (is that chapter 16 or am i remembering wrong)

The one with Jaeger was one of my favorites. (Although maybe this should be spoilered?)

The Marmota one is easy as long as you have an engineer. Even if you don't you can use a tank to run over anti-personnel mines. Just make sure nobody else is around when you do that (I found that out the hard way).

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
hwateber said:
yeah the marmota battle was ridiculously easy. Jaeger is kicking my ass though :(

I am stuck in that battle also.

To be fair, I am juggling a TON of games at the moment
-Tales of Vesperia
-Ar Tonelico II
-Tales of Hearts
-Final Fantasy: Dissidia
-Persona 4

Pretty soon you add these games to the mix
-Street Fighter 4
-Star Ocean: The Last Hope
-Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2
-Dragon Quest 5
-Valkyrie Profile

That isn't even the whole list.

Koren

hwateber said:
yeah the marmota battle was ridiculously easy. Jaeger is kicking my ass though :(
I found it overly easy (not marmota-like, though), but I must admit I had a bit of luck... No cheating, but IA makes mistakes.

I found the base on the south-west the most interesting first target. So I sent a squad taking it in the first two turns. It's defended by 4 enemies, but not really difficult to take.

Then the IA is making some errors. If you drive your tank back in the alley like me, to avoid fire from the main avenue, Jaeger drive its own tank towards this base. The tank close to this base drive away, and don't even try to take it back. The only real "threat" is a sniper from the north-west and a (small) attack from Jaeger tank.

I had requested a lancer and an engineer after taking the base, since Jaeger tank was visible in the far street, so when he came and I got my lancer, it was an easy prey. Of course, on my first playthrough, it was too difficult to destroy on the single third turn (now, it's pretty easy). But on the third turn, he tries to go back to the base on the main street, protected by a smoke wall. Unfortunately for him, sending a lance on it through the smoke will hit (and remove the smoke for the subsequent attacks). So it's easy to kill on the fourth turn, before he can get back in good shape.

By the way, is it me, or IA is a bit more clever in hard skirmishes ? IA in missions doesn't seem to use the same lancer more than twice in a turn, but in hard skirmishes, they often unload all their lances at once.

RpgN

hwateber said:
the battle with jaeger (is that chapter 16 or am i remembering wrong)

I think that was chapter 17. It was pretty challenging. You shouldn't hurt jaeger at all before claiming all the camps first. It doesn't matter where you start, but start claiming the ones close to each other. Because the enemies will keep trying claiming the ones you got. Make use of the smoke jaeger launches everytime. For instance, you won't be able to see the camp and the enemies, but you can also come behind them and they won't see you too *a shoktrooper like Rose*, let others use a bomb to remove the smoke and let the killing begin :D

Koren

RpgN said:
You shouldn't hurt jaeger at all before claiming all the camps first. It doesn't matter where you start, but start claiming the ones close to each other. Because the enemies will keep trying claiming the ones you got.
Actually, I won claiming only one camp, and killed Jaeger without him really trying to claim it back (see above). So I'd say it does matter where you start ;) . I think IA uses scripts based on some (false) assumptions on the player objectives. It's really obvious on this mission...

But the street warfare if you play the mission the way the IA expects you (which bothers me a bit since I find this illogical) is really engaging.

RpgN

Koren said:
Actually, I won claiming only one camp, and killed Jaeger without him really trying to claim it back (see above). So I'd say it does matter where you start ;) . I think IA uses scripts based on some (false) assumptions on the player objectives. It's really obvious on this mission...

But the street warfare if you play the mission the way the IA expects you (which bothers me a bit since I find this illogical) is really engaging.

Nice. You must have had dozens of lancers prepared? Maybe I could try your method on new game plus. I did find the ace there :D

Koren

RpgN said:
Nice. You must have had dozens of lancers prepared? Maybe I could try your method on new game plus. I did find the ace there :D
On my first try, IIRC two lancers and an engineer, requested after claiming the base, but I don't think I used both. There was no counter fire, so no real danger if you're quick enough.

Quite early in the game, I've taken the habit starting the missions with a limited number of people (and I think that on my first playthrough I lost people claiming the camp), and calling reinforcement after taking bases. That speeds up deployment.

Edit : but it took ~10 lances on my first playthrough, indeed (spend nearly two turns doing only this). Now, Audrey kills the defences in 3 turns, and Largo kill the tank in two more, IIRC.

Darkpen

Banned
Koren said:
On my first try, IIRC two lancers and an engineer, requested after claiming the base, but I don't think I used both. There was no counter fire, so no real danger if you're quick enough.

Quite early in the game, I've taken the habit starting the missions with a limited number of people (and I think that on my first playthrough I lost people claiming the camp), and calling reinforcement after taking bases. That speeds up deployment.

Edit : but it took ~10 lances on my first playthrough, indeed (spend nearly two turns doing only this). Now, Audrey kills the defences in 3 turns, and Largo kill the tank in two more, IIRC.
it really does :D

Koren

Shit, it doesn't seem it's possible to finish Skirmish 2 Hard in a single turn. I need Awaken, Defense, Attack and 6 action points, missing only one :(

Does someone know how damages are computed for rifles vs heavy gatlings / AT canons ? S20R does more damage than the best weapon taken to the ennemy (5), so it's not the anti-personnal number that is used. But using A20 doesn't help neither, so it's not anti-tank number either.

T_T

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
It would be worth it if the manga wasn't a piece of crap.

meh...it's not that bad if you go in with the knowledge that any game -> manga media expansion results in something pretty lackluster...

Darkpen

Banned
anotheriori said:
unrelated but found this on 4chan :D
1233398035330.jpg
:lol holy crap. I thought about this before, when I was playing the game, but I totally waved it off, but seeing it illustrated is hilarious and disturbing :lol

Darkpen said:
:lol holy crap. I thought about this before, when I was playing the game, but I totally waved it off, but seeing it illustrated is hilarious and disturbing :lol
What am I supposed to be seeing there?

DemiMatt

Koren said:
- last mission is doable in 1 turn

How? I have been stuck on this one.

I use smoke to cover my troops and I bring in shock troopers and blast on him. But once he gets to the 2nd phase I cant dps him enouigh b4 he heals.

vpance

Koren said:
This enables you to play the game a second time with your current stats and skippable cinematics. They give you stats on missions, hard skirmishes, and you'll be given the opportunity to unlock special (powerful) abilities, more data, get all medals, and so on. It's really a pleasure to continue playing, although the story mode is really, really too easy the second time (you can pretty much 1-turn nearly all missions with Alicia in solo)

Yup I knew that. Just wanted to know if there were any secret story journals or missions that give extra info on the main characters.

DemiMatt said:

I use smoke to cover my troops and I bring in shock troopers and blast on him. But once he gets to the 2nd phase I cant dps him enouigh b4 he heals.

I'm wondering how you can 1-turn it too. I didn't know you could snipe the towers so I used lancers and tanks on em. But the main thing I did was park the Edelweiss near the center of the map and just camped around there. Took out the towers, then rushed him with shocktroopers and flame. In one turn I flamed him like 3 times before I had to run and heal. His attack isn't that strong. Repeated this move for 3 turns and he was done.

Hannes rocks,whenever i flamed him he'd evade the counter attack like 80% of the time :lol

Koren

DemiMatt said:

Don't use smoke, he's not so dangerous... Kill the far switch with a sniper, the two close ones with a lancer, then bring three troopers, launch attack boost, and trigger a triple attack. You have to be able to make the triple attack before he jumps, so maybe the first trooper shouldn't attack, depending on its power. You have to bring him quite low with the triple attack, and he'll jump. Then, you have 4CP IIRC to finish him, so use scouts and grenades to kill him (you'll probably need three scouts).
Be careful, I think grenades efficiency depends on the distance, so the shot should NOT be orange, because the grenade would jump back. Press down a little, so that it turn white, the grenade will go very close, increasing the damages

vpance said:
Yup I knew that. Just wanted to know if there were any secret story journals or missions that give extra info on the main characters.
Oh, sorry... There's
an additionnal chapter on the princess, without mission. The last skirmish only appears on the second playthrough, too. Plus a couple of new recruits, with their profiles (and I think the profiles for your player will lenghten a bit...
. Nothing REALLY important, I'd say.

Brandson

Just started playing this game over the weekend and it really is as good as people say. My girlfriend loves it too, but as good as the gameplay is (it's really good!), wow is the writing ever terrible. After playing Fable 2 right before this, the disparity in writing (and acting) is huge. We're literally cringing every time we have to listen to a cutscene. Is the writing intended for young children or something? Welkin's lines are really really bad.

ianp622

Brandson said:
Just started playing this game over the weekend and it really is as good as people say. My girlfriend loves it too, but as good as the gameplay is (it's really good!), wow is the writing ever terrible. After playing Fable 2 right before this, the disparity in writing (and acting) is huge. We're literally cringing every time we have to listen to a cutscene. Is the writing intended for young children or something? Welkin's lines are really really bad.

I kind of figured Welkin was just a socially awkward character. The lines delivered by the other characters were generally good I thought, even if they are a little cheesy at times. Also, as you play through the game, it will get a little more serious.

Hobbun

ianp622 said:
I kind of figured Welkin was just a socially awkward character. The lines delivered by the other characters were generally good I thought, even if they are a little cheesy at times. Also, as you play through the game, it will get a little more serious.

I loved the game but the one problem I had (MAJOR SPOILERS)
with the story was the writing with Welkin in his reaction of Isara's death compared to when he thought Alicia was going to die. I understand that Welkin fell in love with Alicia and wanted to spend the rest of his life with her, but Isara was his actual sister and he showed nowhere near the emotion when she died compared to Alicia when she was near death.

And it wasn't like it appeared lhe was in shock, it was just a "oh darn, she died. ok, let's move on and do this for her." He just didn't seem anywhere near as upset as he did with Alicia, and his sister actually died.

RpgN

Hobbun said:
with the story was the writing with Welkin in his reaction of Isara's death compared to when he thought Alicia was going to die. I understand that Welkin fell in love with Alicia and wanted to spend the rest of his life with her, but Isara was his actual sister and he showed nowhere near the emotion when she died compared to Alicia when she was near death.

And it wasn't like it appeared lhe was in shock, it was just a "oh darn, she died. ok, let's move on and do this for her." He just didn't seem anywhere near as upset as he did with Alicia, and his sister actually died.

I agree, this got me. But I remember he said he was in shock and couldn't believe it happened. It's like
She's not dead to him. Besides, what happened was so sudden. He couldn't prevent it but he could prevent Alicia's fate

ianp622

Hobbun said:

Same here, but remember that
Isara wasn't actually Welkin's sister.
Not trying to justify it, just correcting what you said.

patsu

I agree with Hobbun, but at the same time... Welkins may also be thinking,
"Not again ! I am not going to lose another this time."

Hobbun

RpgN said:
I agree, this got me. But I remember he said he was in shock and couldn't believe it happened. It's like
She's not dead to him. Besides, what happened was so sudden. He couldn't prevent it but he could prevent Alicia's fate

Yes, I do remember him saying that, but it's just it wasn't shown through his reaction with the writing, IMO. But really, it is a minor gripe for a great game.

Hobbun

ianp622 said:
Same here, but remember that
Isara wasn't actually Welkin's sister.
Not trying to justify it, just correcting what you said.

No, I disagree. She was his sister. Maybe not in blood, but they were siblings as they grew up together. Whether it's in blood or not really means nothing if they knew each other almost all their life and were close, which is how they were portrayed in the game.

Koren

KTallguy said:
Yea, I kind of find it creepy in a way :lol
Yes... The fact that all enemies wear a full helmet and are faceless is not a coincidence, I think. It's difficult to have a light-hearted game with gunfights, that's definitely illogical. I really don't feel like killing human beings, and I really prefer this.

The war depicted in the game is pretty similar to the "ideal image" of war in 1914, I think. The kind of ideal war that clash with reality.

I like wargames, but there's absolutely no pleasure doing the same in RL. It's a pretty strange feeling. It was the same with Advance Wars, by the way. Colorful while you send units to death.

Hcoregamer00

Koren said:
Yes... The fact that all enemies wear a full helmet and are faceless is not a coincidence, I think. It's difficult to have a light-hearted game with gunfights, that's definitely illogical. I really don't feel like killing human beings, and I really prefer this.

The war depicted in the game is pretty similar to the "ideal image" of war in 1914, I think. The kind of ideal war that clash with reality.

I like wargames, but there's absolutely no pleasure doing the same in RL. It's a pretty strange feeling. It was the same with Advance Wars, by the way. Colorful while you send units to death.

You know what is funny, for a game that has the "ideal image" as you so say, Valkyria Chronicles is probably the most HUMAN representation of war in a videogame. It shows what most war games miss, which is the human experience as part of war. The game chronicles loss, sadness, genocide, hatred, love, camaraderie, and friendship. It may be a pretty idealized setting, but it chronicles the horrors and the glories of war in a manner that repels and shocks the audience. This opposition to violence in war makes Valkyria Chronicles one of the few anti-war war games out there.

Nose Master said:
In Chapter 12
Will Selveria spawn if you don't take the middle camp? Cause, well, fuck that crazy lance bitch :(
Just be ready to roll on the final camp.
Ignore her completely

Nose Master

I forgot about the gate. Meh, that mission wasn't bad at all, I just had Largo one shot the tank.

The next mission however... ridiculous.

Darkpen

Banned
Koren said:

Rather, I think what the game was trying to do was to make the player empathize with their soldiers, by always showing their faces, hearing their voices, and even having journal entries on their personality and background.

And because of this, I assume they wear invisible helmets on the battlefield, as that has to be the only explanation as far as rationalizing the game is concerned, especially since you hear metallic noises when anyone's shot in the head.

Hcoregamer00 said:
You know what is funny, for a game that has the "ideal image" as you so say, Valkyria Chronicles is probably the most HUMAN representation of war in a videogame. It shows what most war games miss, which is the human experience as part of war. The game chronicles loss, sadness, genocide, hatred, love, camaraderie, and friendship. It may be a pretty idealized setting, but it chronicles the horrors and the glories of war in a manner that repels and shocks the audience. This opposition to violence in war makes Valkyria Chronicles one of the few anti-war war games out there.
On the contrary, it glorifies the winning team, without any real sense of heavy losses. Realistically speaking, I should've lost half of my unit by end-game, and that's assuming I was smart about how I deployed my units, and never gambled on potentials.

If this really was anti-war, then we would have seen the faces of both enemy and friendly units, but that isn't the case.

The game's story is anti-a lot of things, but it does a poor job of being anti-war. The images can be striking, and there's a message that makes itself through, but its not the best.

Darkpen said:
If this really was anti-war, then we would have seen the faces of both enemy and friendly units, but that isn't the case.

The game's story is anti-a lot of things, but it does a poor job of being anti-war. The images can be striking, and there's a message that makes itself through, but its not the best.

I disagree.

I think that anti-war philosophies do not need to be projected through graphical means. VC does so through storytelling and ideology, themes and emotions. It seems to intentionally censor the graphical horror aspect through yes, wearing helmets, metallic sound effects when hit in the head, and lack of blood, not as a poor representation of anti-war element, but as consideration for the target audience.

Darkpen said:
On the contrary, it glorifies the winning team, without any real sense of heavy losses. Realistically speaking, I should've lost half of my unit by end-game, and that's assuming I was smart about how I deployed my units, and never gambled on potentials.

Again, I disagree. If one is a good strategist, casualties can be avoided, theoretically speaking. The winning team also spends MUCH of the story grieving over their losses, as well as remorse for the enemies they have downed. As Welkin said to his comrade "What you're doing is only escalating the conflict, not ending the war!".

Hcoregamer00

radiantdreamer said:
I disagree.

I think that anti-war philosophies do not need to be projected through graphical means. VC does so through storytelling and ideology, themes and emotions. It seems to intentionally censor the graphical horror aspect through yes, wearing helmets, metallic sound effects when hit in the head, and lack of blood, not as a poor representation of anti-war element, but as consideration for the target audience.

Again, I disagree. If one is a good strategist, casualties can be avoided, theoretically speaking. The winning team also spends MUCH of the story grieving over their losses, as well as remorse for the enemies they have downed. As Welkin said to his comrade "What you're doing is only escalating the conflict, not ending the war!".

Excellently said, I would have written a similar reply, but my brain in melted after writing 20 pages of Thesis work over the course of the past 5 hours.

@_@

I haven't had the chance to play this much over the holidays but I picked it up again yesterday. I was about to wrap up chapter 6 when I got hosed. 2-3 of their guys dodged like masters for a whole round and got me routed by two tanks that I tried to avoid. I tried again tonight and it went much smother. I basically took two scouts out and around all the tanks and to the far back. I took out the group of snipers from behind and won without touching the tanks at all. I'm going to try a few skirmishes before I try chapter 7 as I've heard it ramps of the hurt. The only thing I don't like is having my feeling hurt after each fight. D?!?!? did you see that fight was awesome and a D?!?! ARRR I whooped the first skirmish with three people and two turns and only got a B.
It's not a good comparison fron gameplay stand point, but VC has been giving me FolkLore vibes. Great, original IP with unique graphical style and a really well done story.

Top Bottom