• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's ANT-MAN Trailer #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
That was a different tone than I was expecting, but I still enjoyed it. Laughed at the ending quip. Glad it doesn't feel like any of the MCU films that have come before. Hype levels steady.

haha wow that is a really dull trailer. probably the studio's worst too.

really like the casting of michael douglas though. but a shame at what this movie could have been. wright's comments earlier in this thread for having this be about as stand-alone as iron man 1 (yet still appeasing the ties to the universe) and being foremost a heist movie was exactly what i wanted :(

plus he had the writer of attack the block with him. and these buffoons replace them with the creative mind behind anchorman 2.

duckroll

Marvel defenders need to chill out and realise that there's a lot of confusion about the trailer because it just wasn't that fun looking. The next trailer needs to be goofy as hell. We all know it.

But Marvel's Defenders won't be coming out until 2017, probably.

Wiktor

people are getting ridiculous, trying to convince themselves that GotG's first trailer was bad just so it might give a pass for Ant-Man.
First GotG trailer was great. It introduced both the concept and the mood perfectly. Antman fails to do any of those two.

pulga

Banned
Well how many heroes you have in the MCU?? Why not has as much evil as you have good?

Then make super villains? This is will be the fourth (fifth if one counts HYDRA) evil guy in a suit we've had in a Marvel flick. Snooze.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Then make super villains? This is will be the fourth (fifth if one counts HYDRA) evil guy in a suit we've had in a Marvel flick. Snooze.

To be fair, Ant Man's greatest nemesis is a regular guy wearing slightly heavy shoes.

Peyton Reed was such an awful choice of director for this. And boy it shows in that trailer.

RIP the visually amazing Edgar Wright film that we'll never see.

duckroll

Well, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Iron Man started off the entire Marvel wave, and there are 3 of those movies. Iron Man villains are traditionally rich dudes or scientists in suits.

I definitely agree that MCU villains are generally really weak, but it feels like a problem with execution rather than a lack of variety. In Phase 2 we've had Killian (good villain, actually takes off his suit and fights naked at the end!), Malekith (terrible villain, but he's a dark elf and not a suit), Winter Soldier (great villain, not a guy in suit), Ronan (another iffy villain, but not a suit, Kree Accuser).

Next we're getting Ultron. So yeah, outside of comparing Iron Man 3 with Ant-Man, I don't think it's true that there are too many "bad businessmen/tech-head" villains. There's a bit more of them because of Iron Man, but with Ant-Man it isn't really out of place because Hank Pym is very much a Tony Stark type of character in terms of social spaces and business, so having a similar sort of villain isn't strange.

people are getting ridiculous, trying to convince themselves that GotG's first trailer was bad just so it might give a pass for Ant-Man.
First GotG trailer was great. It introduced both the concept and the mood perfectly. Antman fails to do any of those two.

I didn't really feel the first GoTG trailer (just as I didn't like this one), but I do agree that the first GoTG did a much better job of setting the mood and introducing the general concept.

This trailer completely failed to do either beyond some hokey fluff related to the lead and his daughter, which I hope to God isn't the main focus of the movie.

Mr. Sam

It was going to have to be something special to wash the sour taste of Edgar Wright's dismissal out of my mouth. Not only wasn't it special, it wasn't even good. Pity.

pulga

Banned
Well, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Iron Man started off the entire Marvel wave, and there are 3 of those movies. Iron Man villains are traditionally rich dudes or scientists in suits.

I definitely agree that MCU villains are generally really weak, but it feels like a problem with execution rather than a lack of variety. In Phase 2 we've had Killian (good villain, actually takes off his suit and fights naked at the end!), Malekith (terrible villain, but he's a dark elf and not a suit), Winter Soldier (great villain, not a guy in suit), Ronan (another iffy villain, but not a suit, Kree Accuser).

Next we're getting Ultron. So yeah, outside of comparing Iron Man 3 with Ant-Man, I don't think it's true that there are too many "bad businessmen/tech-head" villains. There's a bit more of them because of Iron Man, but with Ant-Man it isn't really out of place because Hank Pym is very much a Tony Stark type of character in terms of social spaces and business, so having a similar sort of villain isn't strange.

I agree it isn't strange considering the similarities between Pym and Stark, but it's undeniably boring at this point.

How is it possible that in 10 movies there's only been 2 legit great villains in Loki and Winter Soldier? Doesn't seem like Ant-Man is going against the norm either. It's truly sad how Marvel has mishandled greats like Red Skull, Malekith and Ronan :(

Wiktor

I agree it isn't strange considering the similarities between Pym and Stark, but it's undeniably boring at this point.

How is it possible that in 10 movies there's only been 2 legit great villains in Loki and Winter Soldier? Doesn't seem like Ant-Man is going against the norm either. It's truly sad how Marvel has mishandled greats like Red Skull, Malekith and Ronan :(
I would argue even Winter Soldier wasn't great as a villain. He apeared rarely and had bassicaly two big scenes, ending up as a puppet for Hydra and getting turned into good buy by the end.
Loki remains the sole great villain in Marvel universe, with a large reason for it the fact that he lasted more than one movie and had space to grow.

Platy

It had shrinking, ants, kamen rider suit and Hank Pym.

So basicaly people are sad that it didn't had Edgar Wright ... I can see why.

It really does feel like it could be Marvel's Green Lantern.

With Hal Jordan as a cameo teaching Guy Gardner =P

neorej

ERMYGERD!

I still think Trevor Slathery was the best Marvel Movies villain as of yet. People still talk about him with pasionate hate I have not seen outside Game Of Thrones discussions regarding Joffrey.

pulga

Banned
I still think Trevor Slathery was the best Marvel Movies villain as of yet. People still talk about him with pasionate hate I have not seen outside Game Of Thrones discussions regarding Joffrey.

It's like Marvel is going out of their way to fuck up the few good villains they do have the rights to!
KuGsj.gif

The "All Hail The King" one shot better pay off and retcon that mess.
LLShC.gif

The trailer was pretty bad.

Is this a version of Ant-Man that can also grow into a giant? Or smaller than atoms or whatever?
Or is it only ant-size?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Looks like trash
I'm not going to write it off yet because I though Guardians looked like trash and look how that did. Still the premise and the name is shit

+1 for Paul Rudd looking ripped though. Always had a little crush

duckroll

I would argue even Winter Soldier wasn't great as a villain. He apeared rarely and had bassicaly two big scenes, ending up as a puppet for Hydra and getting turned into good buy by the end.
Loki remains the sole great villain in Marvel universe, with a large reason for it the fact that he lasted more than one movie and had space to grow.

I think the Winter Soldier was handled very well for what they were going for in the film. He's definitely not a traditional "villain" especially since he'll be a good guy in the rest of his appearances in the MCU, but that's the entire point of the character.

What I think is being touched on here accurately is that Marvel has a serious problem with seeing their villains as characters first and foremost. Instead most of them are taken from more interesting comic counterparts and placed into movies as nothing more than a plot point to oppose the heroes. That's what makes it all really boring. Loki is interesting because he's an actual personality. He's not just an evil guy doing The Evil Thing (TM) in whatever movie he's in. The scenes he's in are fun, and he has an actual dynamic with the characters.

This is something Mickey Rourke complained about after playing Whiplash too. He was upset that his contribution to the film was an afterthought, and they supposedly cut out tons of development scenes which better establish the character. The "story" comes first, the villain(s) are just cogs in a wheel. That's a lame way of developing threats, and it's a problem the MCU has had since the start. I thought Malekith was a huge waste of talent and comic character, but Ronan was a fucking tragedy.

Bricky

That trailer just made me sadder about the fact Edgar Wright left the project.

But let's see how the final movie turns out before judging. I trust Marvel.

pulga

Banned
This is something Mickey Rourke complained about after playing Whiplash too. He was upset that his contribution to the film was an afterthought, and they supposedly cut out tons of development scenes which better establish the character. The "story" comes first, the villain(s) are just cogs in a wheel. That's a lame way of developing threats, and it's a problem the MCU has had since the start. I thought Malekith was a huge waste of talent and comic character, but Ronan was a fucking tragedy.

Poor Mickey, he was hellbent on having Whiplash be an actual character, going as far as to recommend half of his lines be in russian and all that hubbub about his pet bird. It's fucking tragic, Marvel could have a genuinely fantastic stable of villains by now if they bothered to treat them with respect.

CloudWolf

I see it like this. The MCU is basically a television series and all the villians we've had thusfar were 'villian of the week'-deals. That also explains why the 'big bad' of the series, Thanos, has had no character at all up until now, they're saving him for the series finale/second half of the season. Just like how in shows like Arrow and The Flash the big bads only showed up in the mid-season finale.

Toa TAK

Banned
That trailer just made me sadder about the fact Edgar Wright left the project.

But let's see how the final movie turns out before judging. I trust Marvel.
Pretty much. Its still cool that there are some actors I like in there, but I really wish we got the original vision of the film instead.

Blues1990

Not a particularly great trailer, but then the first trailer for GoTG wasn't particularly inspiring either. Not feeling the daddy/daughter focus either, hopefully it's not too big a focus in the movie.
You've taken the words right out of my mouth. Nothing had caught my attention, & I generally wasn't feeling it.

Hystzen

GOTG teaser "too light to many jokes this is going be shit "

Any-Man " too serious no jokes it going be shit"

No wonder companies can't win with trailers when comments like this.

Still think they should held back a trailer until more footage was complete it barely wrapped filming a while ago. Unless this is a trick the trailers be all Batman serious then when people sit down watch film it a comedy the ultimate troll.

noah111

Still Alive
Still sad Edgar Wright isn't behind this.

This looked better than I was expecting . . . but I'm still holding onto plenty of reservations.
Yeah, decent trailer (and awesome suit) but there seems to be little chance the movie will end up wowing or even being anywhere near Avengers/CA2/GotG territory. Getting empty/Hulk-like vibes.

Mr_Zombie

I'm not gonna lie, the test footage made me hype more than this trailer. The trailer is simply boring and the only cool thing that distinguish from the other comic book movies is Ant-Man riding a fly. The rest of it is just generic superhero fluff. Yawn.

number11

Listening to the generic trailer music reminded me that Steven Price also dropped out once Wright left. The soundtrack was one of the main things I was looking forward to.

Chopper

Weird trailer. I'm hyped, because Paul Rudd and Marvel, but what exactly is awesome about Ant-Man other than he can shrink? Does he have super strength? If so, they should really have shown that too.

Feige elaborated that "much of the movie will still be based very much on [Wright and Cornish's] draft and the DNA of what Edgar has created up to this point" with Reed stepping in to direct, and McKay reworking only parts of the script. "

This keeps me hopeful.

sol_bad

I hope this is the first huge Marvel bomb. First for wasting dear Edgars time. And second, because I am sick of their bland movies, and I am disturbed by how they are harming cinema.

Stories are good because you have endings. You need a good ending to have satisfaction. But Marvel movies never end, they are just a never ending stream of fighting against glowing rocks.

I like resolution and Marvel cannot ever give this.

This is ...... incredible. They are not harming cinema, if you choose to direct all your attention at Marvel's blockbusters rather than see what other talented directors have on offer, that's your fault. Marvel's blockbusters can live in harmony with the stand alone story offerings of other films. Franchise blockbusters in general have always made more money than independent films, it's nothing new and has been happening in forever,

I also hope you really look at what you typing, it never ends? Every single Marvel film has had closure.
Iron Man 1 - Tony Stark went through his character arc, changed the way he though and defeated the power hungry Obadiah Stane. Yeah he announced to the world he was Iron Man at the end of the film, many a film have used a tactic like this but a sequel is not always guaranteed.
The Incredible Hulk - Bruce Banner went through the motions of trying to heal himself,, thought he had but failed. He defeated the crazy Abomination and learnt to control himself a bit. He ran away into hiding, the film ends in the opposite manner to Ang Lee's original. The story arc is complete, yes there is a scene between Ross and Stark but there was no guarantee there would be a sequel .... and there wasn't.
Iron Man 2 - Stark learns more about his father and somehow creates a magical new element. SHIELD help point him the right direction to discover said element. Stark also deals with the crazy son of his dads partner. Stark and Rhodey save the day and are awarded medals, SHIELD tell Stark that he isn't fit for the Avengers initiative. Story arc finished.
Thor - Thor is disgraced and sent to Earth with no powers. While he is gone his brother Loki devises a plan to trick his parents so he can ear n the throne. Thor learns to care and love for people, not necessarily (fall in love), he becomes worthy and returns home in time to defeat Loki. Loki drifts off potentially never to be seen ever again. Thor's character arc is over, story arc is over.
Captain America 1 - Steve Rogers wants to fight for his country and stand up to the bullies but he never has the opportunity. Dr Erskine discovers Rogers, sees that h has heart and puts him in the super soldier program. Even after training Rogers still fails to join the military and does stage shows to help the production of artillery. Peggy Carter inspires him to be more and he becomes more, he saves hundreds of soldiers. He also helps defeat Red Skull and ultimately winning WW2. Red Skull gets sucked into a portal, potentially to never be seen again .... and he hasn't. Story arc done and dusted.
Avengers - Loki basically attacks Earth with an alien race and Earth's mightiest heroes come together to defeat him and his army. Chitauri destroyed by a nuke, worm hole closed and Loki returned to Asgard to be thrown in jail. Story arc completed, sure Loki is working with someone but the movie works fine eve if you never discovered who it was and a sequel/sequels were never created.
Iron Man 3 - Stark suffers from PTSD due to what happened in New York. He is half the man he used to be. Random explosions start happening and he investigates, discovers it's Aldrich Killian, someone he turned down many years ago. With the help of a young boy he learns to et over his PTSD and stops Killian. He has his arc reactor removed and starts his new life, story finished.
Thor 2 - A Dark Elf Malekith is awakened due to the activation of an ancient powerful force. He wants to destroy the universe but Thor stops him. We get to see Thor and Loki interact as brothers and it brought on some needed characterisation between them.Yes we find out Loki has taken the throne at the end but the story arc is completed.
Captain America 2 - Hydra is discovered within SHIELD and defeated. Rogers discovers that his best friend is still alive as a crazy assassin, helps him realise he has an identity. Rogers wants to find his friend Bucky at the end but that's a different story, the story about Hydra infiltrating SHIELD is finished.
Guardians of the Galaxy - Crazy Kree Ronan wants to destroy Xandar due the ending of the war. Through a crazy chain of events to GOTG come together and defeat him. Story arc complete, sure we see Thanos but there were huge doubts this would be a huge bomb and it would be the last time we see Thanos.

Jesus that was a lot to type. Please tell me what the difference is between the Marvel films and the original Superman films, the original Batman films, the Nolan Batman films, the Blade films and the original Spider-Man films?
The basic fact is that a franchise is going to keep developing sequels until a film either flops financially or fails critically. I mean The Dark Knight rises finished with a cliff hanger, how is that any different? Warner Brothers could have continued making Nolanverse Batman films after the 3rd film, The Dark Knight Rises surely finishes with an opportunity for a sequel at least, just like some of the Marvel films do.

Now in regards to your childish "wasting Edgar Right's time" thought? I liked Shawn of the Dead, loved Hot Fuzz, loved Scott Pilgrim and loved The World's End, he is a great director.
Back in 2006/2007 or whenever it was that Marvel studios acquired funding for Iron Man/Hulk, they obviously talked to Edgar Right about Ant-Man as they knew he wanted to do it. They let him write the script and they were weaving their magic behind the scenes to ensure that all the Phase 1 films worked out well, Ant-Man was going to be a Phase 1 film. Unfortunately when it came closer to shooting the film someone was close to passing away or something and Edgar Right decided to drop the Ant-Man project in favour for The World's End.
Edgar wasted Marvels time because they spent time working on the building blocks of the MCU, those blocks had to be rearranged once Edgar Right left the Ant-Man film on the floor.
Years later Marvel have already worked out their MCU plans and so Edgar Right's script didn't work as it was, changes were required. When he had the go ahead to do Ant-Man originally, Edgar Right would have known Marvel were making a combined universe and that his script would have fit in with the rest of the pieces. Edgar Right did not want to corroborate with Marvel and make adjustments to the script to fit in with the modern MCU. He walked away from the project again and this time wasted Marvel's time AND money and pre-production had started..

I can't think of anything else to type now......

lednerg

So Rudd said, like, ten words in total? Bizarre trailer.

I was hoping for something with a more fun tone, but nope. It's early still...

.la1n

That is probably the worst Marvel studios trailer I have seen so far. I'm not going to judge the whole movie based on one trailer though (or any trailer for that matter.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom