• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Fantastic Four’: Julia Garner Joins Marvel Studios Movie As A Shalla-Bal Version Of Silver Surfer

ManaByte

Then it seems more like incompetence that Disney didn't use the X-Men and FF sooner if there wasn't some contract preventing it.
Feige said when Fox was bought X-Men weren’t in their five year plan. He wasn’t lying. Even with the COVID delay the first MCU mutant was five years after the purchase.

Also Fox just released Dark Phoenix which was a huge bomb. They wouldn’t rush back to something that failed that bad so fast. The 2015 F4 movie was even worse. People forget how bad the Fox stuff was.

But now Disney owns all that garbage, and Feige says it’s all canon to the MCU due to the multiverse.

Ulysses 31

Feige said when Fox was bought X-Men weren’t in their five year plan. He wasn’t lying. Even with the COVID delay the first MCU mutant was five years after the purchase.

Also Fox just released Dark Phoenix which was a huge bomb. They wouldn’t rush back to something that failed that bad so fast. The 2015 F4 movie was even worse. People forget how bad the Fox stuff was.

But now Disney owns all that garbage, and Feige says it’s all canon to the MCU due to the multiverse.
Which IMO was a mistake of Feige considering the hype the MCU had in 2017-2019. X-Men with different actors would've been given a chance by the audience with Marvel's rep at that time.

Edit: Most of the the Fox actors also aged considerably by now which adds to the bizarreness of Disney insisting to use the Fox actors(if that's their plan).

Last edited:

ManaByte

Which IMO was a mistake of Feige considering the hype the MCU had in 2017-2019. X-Men with different actors would've been given a chance by the audience with Marvel's rep at that time.

Edit: Most of the the Fox actors also aged considerably by now which adds to the bizarreness of Disney insisting to the the Fox actors(if that's their plan).
They’re only using them in the multiverse. After Secret Wars does the soft reboot like in the comics the MCU X-Men movie will use a new cast.

bitbydeath

And again, why does it need to be set in the 60s, why from alternate Earth?

Galactus could still come to Earth and do his thing.

I mean there's not any reason they couldn't come from this universe. They could have all the things you listed without this alternate take.
I prefer this way.
FF not being on 616 explains why they never got involved with Thanos, same with Deadpool and Wolverine bringing mutants to 616.

She-hulk should be removed from canon for the shit they pulled.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Another flop incoming. Hahaha
I think so too. Then the proper surfer will never happen and my dream of a good silver surfer film will never happen….
Sad Peanut Butter GIF by For Everest

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hugh Jackman, Toby Maguire, and RDJ on screen together is going to make $3 billion at the box office.
I dont know that they can craft a convincing series of films that gets us to that point. And just a single "Avengers Greatest Hits" type Mashup film starring a bunch of 50-60 year olds is.....a stretch at best but probably worth a billion to be honest. Cost 250 mill for those 3 to show up though.

ManaByte

I dont know that they can craft a convincing series of films that gets us to that point. And just a single "Avengers Greatest Hits" type Mashup film starring a bunch of 50-60 year olds is.....a stretch at best but probably worth a billion to be honest. Cost 250 mill for those 3 to show up though.

Well they have been building to it for the last 4 years but people have been ignoring it and claiming they weren't building to anything. Deadpool & Wolverine will probably be the last big piece, introducing the modification of the anchor concept from Hickman's Secret Wars. In the comics, each universe had a piece of Molecule Man as an anchor, in the MCU each universe has an anchor who if they die the universe ceases to exist. That's introduced in Deadpool. Then F4 and DS3 (if they get to it) will probably be the last big multiverse movies before the two Avengers. Cap 4 deals with the celestial island where people are fighting over Adamantium, Thunderbolts, Wonder Man, and Daredevil are street level. Ironheart has Mephisto, but that's probably not important to the Multiverse.

The basic path to Secret Wars is:

WandaVision
Loki S1
Multiverse of Madness
No Way Home
Ms Marvel
Loki S2
The Marvels
Deadpool & Wolverine
Fantastic 4
Avengers 5
Secret Wars

If they get to Doctor Strange 3 before Secret Wars it'll be about him and Clea dealing with Incursions that other Strange variants caused.

Quantumania had a Kang variant, but Loki S2 dismissed him as nothing. The 10 Rings could be Kang tech.

Then the new 616 MCU universe is built from what's left after Secret Wars and the X-Men movie is released.

Last edited:

Shouta

That seems way too high concept to sell. I guess if its good and the alt-Earth thing happens in the third act and not right away, maybe the masses will buy it but DAMN, that's some navel gazing story wanking to try to have an individual story AND keep it all connected. The MCU already set up plenty of 60's era heroes that for some reason are memory holed by the 2010s, I don't really see why they can't layer these new stories on top and just use periodic team ups to have them all hang out.
It is a bit high concept and may not go over well but honestly, they need to do something like this because it's way better than any of the shit stories they've had in the last phase of the MCU. I'm usually pretty soft on the stuff they've been putting out but the stories they're doing have been bland even putting execution aside.

Anyway, if the proposed story that's going around ends up being the one that makes it to film, I'd be pretty happy. Using Shalla-Bal to introduce the audience to the Silver Surfer before Norrin Rad would be interesting too if they use her to introduce the conundrum of being a herald and selling how dangerous and powerful Norrin is. That is assuming they can properly do it, of course.

I know who Shalla-Balls is but I never knew she was a herald. The comic I had with her in it had her soul getting tortured by Mephisto while Norrin Rad just stared in horror. She was his girlfriend, by the way. At least at that time.

NickFire

I‘ll be seeing Deadpool 3. Beyond that I’m forever done with theater prices for Marvel (except Spider-Man) and Star Wars. The new audiences that Disney has chased for the last few years can have my seat.

Top Bottom