• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Fantastic Four’: Julia Garner Joins Marvel Studios Movie As A Shalla-Bal Version Of Silver Surfer

Dude won best Actor before going off the rails, he might not have been at his peak when cast as Iron man but he was definitely A list, whatever that means.
random people win things all the time, with A list to me is how pervasive someone is in the public awareness; an a-lister is thus someone who fills seats in the theater on name alone because everyone knows them, RDJ was not on that level back then, it was people like bruce willis, sam jackson, will smith, eddie murphy, schwarzenegger, etc., basically the 80s/90s stars were still the big names in the mid 2000s.

clarky

Gold Member
random people win things all the time, with A list to me is how pervasive someone is in the public awareness; an a-lister is thus someone who fills seats in the theater on name alone because everyone knows them, RDJ was not on that level back then, it was people like bruce willis, sam jackson, will smith, eddie murphy, schwarzenegger, etc., basically the 80s/90s stars were still the big names in the mid 2000s.

Yeah we have different definitions of whats A list.

Mine seems to be in line with what wiki says:
An A-list actor is a major movie star, or one of the most bankable actors in a film industry.
AI thinks so too:
Assistant
An "A List" actor is typically considered to be a highly successful and in-demand performer in the entertainment industry. They are often associated with leading roles in major films, have a significant level of fame and recognition, and command top salaries in the entertainment industry

clarky

Gold Member
Mine seems to be in line with what wiki says:

AI thinks so too:
Cool. Let see what AI specifically says about RDJ then.

'Robert Downey Jr.'s performance as Charlie Chaplin in the 1992 film “Chaplin” was a significant turning point in his career. His portrayal earned him critical acclaim, a BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role, and nominations for an Academy Award for Best Actor and a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Motion Picture Drama1. This recognition certainly bolstered his reputation in Hollywood.

While the term “A-list” can be subjective, it’s generally accepted that his nomination for an Oscar for “Chaplin” helped establish him as a leading actor in the industry. His subsequent career, including his iconic role as Tony Stark in “Iron Man,” solidified his status as an A-list star"

Seems pretty A list to me.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
For sure. There is "A list" from a commercial/mass consumer perspective (like Johnny Depp/Orlando Bloom in the late 2000s on the midst of POTC fame) and then there is A-list from a more critical/art lover perspective (like Timothy Chalomet probably would be today, or Ed Norton or RDJ on the eearly 2000s). There are very few cross over actors that stride both now, versus Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, or the like from the 90s or Matt Damon/Will Smith in the 2000s who can churn out both critically acclaimed AND commercially successful products.

Doesn't really matter anymore, no actor is immune to getting dunked on and very very few can carry an entire movie on their own even if it is derivative schlock. They are all only as good as their last film now.

His subsequent career, including his iconic role as Tony Stark in “Iron Man,” solidified his status as an A-list star"

Seems pretty A list to me.
Yeah, now after iron man lol, it even says so; before it was "subjective" and afterwards it was "solidified".
In any case he wasn't on the level of names I mentioned earlier before iron man.

intbal

What we want:

mgeNm8e.jpg

What we'll get:

YWsigi3.jpg

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah, now after iron man lol, it even says so; before it was "subjective" and afterwards it was "solidified".
In any case he wasn't on the level of names I mentioned earlier before iron man.

That's not what it says at all. What a ridiculous argument to start the day on.

Lets just move on lol.

That's not what it says at all. What a ridiculous argument to start the day on.

Lets just move on lol.
While the term “A-list” can be subjective...his nomination for an Oscar...helped establish him as a leading actor...His subsequent career...solidified his status as an A-list star
That's exactly what it says lol: before whether he was A list could be considered subjective even though he could be seen as a leading actor thanks to a nomination, his subsequent career > A list.
But again in any case he wasn't on the level or previous mentioned, so yeah lets move on.

intbal

Who wants that? We want the og back.
Sure, but it's already too late for that.
But they could just use the actress for motion capture and have the character be a good CGI creation.
However, I think they'll actually use the actress live. Although with CG-enhanced appearance.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Can't be worse than the last time they put the Silver Surfer on screen. At least this time it will be a hot chick.

I don't think this is a bad play, but it makes me question why they are going out of their way to buck the normal story of the Fantastic Four.

Why does this need to be an alternate reality version?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

If you haven’t watched Hearts and Souls before it is a classic of his.

Weird Science too, but I think most already know that one.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I read a rumor that the fantastic four are from another universe and so is this silver surfer... And then the FF end up in the main MCU universe. Then Norrin Radd will be the main silver surfer going forward because he's the MCU silver surfer

ManaByte

I read a rumor that the fantastic four are from another universe and so is this silver surfer... And then the FF end up in the main MCU universe. Then Norrin Radd will be the main silver surfer going forward because he's the MCU silver surfer

No, they are from a different universe. In the 60s. The Human Torch art confirmed it. He's flying over a futuristic skyline.

It's a different universe. A different Earth. Meaning Galactus will eat their Earth and the F4 will escape to the main MCU universe.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
No, they are from a different universe. In the 60s. The Human Torch art confirmed it. He's flying over a futuristic skyline.

It's a different universe. A different Earth. Meaning Galactus will eat their Earth and the F4 will escape to the main MCU universe.

That's what I said... ? We said the same thing ... ?

ManaByte

That's what I said... ? We said the same thing ... ?

It's set in the 60s where the F4 are the only heroes in that universe and are established celebrities as the Future Foundation is responsible for all of the prosperity and high tech they have. Franklin and Valaria already exist. Galactus and the Shalla-Bal SS show up and destroy that Earth. Reed and family escape into the multiverse.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It's set in the 60s where the F4 are the only heroes in that universe and are established celebrities as the Future Foundation is responsible for all of the prosperity and high tech they have. Franklin and Valaria already exist. Galactus and the Shalla-Bal SS show up and destroy that Earth. Reed and family escape into the multiverse.

I am certain I said they're from another universe (and so are the Shalla-Bal and Galactus) and end up in the main MCU universe at the end ... You just added more details.

ManaByte

Yeah, that art confirms it. The question is why is it necessary to do alternate universe take?

Seems like a recipe for bullshit deviations from the source material.

FF is one of my favorite comics, I'll be disappointed if they fumble this.

Deviations? It's set in the 60s. The Future Foundation is already a thing. Reed and Sue already have both kids, hell they have fucking H.E.R.B.I.E. from the cartoon.

It's set in an alternate universe so they can 1. set it in the 60s, and 2. have Galactus eat a planet that actually matters to people: Earth.

If they set it in the 616 they couldn't have it be in the 60s and Galactus would just eat some no-name planet no one cares about. By having Galactus eat Earth and have the F4 escape into the 616 that ups the stakes when the 616 Galactus and Norrin Radd Surfer shows up.

Last edited:
Deviations? It's set in the 60s. The Future Foundation is already a thing. Reed and Sue already have both kids, hell they have fucking H.E.R.B.I.E. from the cartoon.

It's set in an alternate universe so they can 1. set it in the 60s, and 2. have Galactus eat a planet that actually matters to people: Earth.

And again, why does it need to be set in the 60s, why from alternate Earth?

Galactus could still come to Earth and do his thing.

I mean there's not any reason they couldn't come from this universe. They could have all the things you listed without this alternate take.

ManaByte

And again, why does it need to be set in the 60s, why from alternate Earth?

Galactus could still come to Earth and do his thing.

I mean there's not any reason they couldn't come from this universe. They could have all the things you listed without this alternate take.

Then it'll just be a repeat of the two shitty Fox movies.

I can't wait for people to bitch about Magneto not being the villain in the X-Men movie and instead just wanting it to be a repeat of the Fox movies (Sinister is the villain).

Last edited:

ManaByte

Also, it's set in the 60s because Feige has wanted to do the first F4 movie in the 60s since the first Fox movie. Avi Arad shot him down.

Originally the 2005 F4 movie was set in the 60s, but Avi Arad told Fiege "no" because a period piece wouldn't sell toys basically. So they made the shit one instead.

It was ALWAYS going to be in the 60s in the MCU.

Then it'll just be a repeat of the two shitty Fox movies.

I can't wait for people to bitch about Magneto not being the villain in the X-Men movie and instead just wanting it to be a repeat of the Fox movies (Sinister is the villain).
It wouldn't be a repeat if they actually did it right, and to be honest the two fox movies weren't the worst takes.

Buy yeah, magneto is overplayed. Even Sinister is overplayed in the cartoon.

Give me Annihilus and the Negative Zone. Even the Mole Man would be cool.

As far as Xmen goes, I'd like to see Mastermold and some real sentinels, maybe the friend of humanity.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It's not the main MCU universe.
And that wouldn’t be an issue if they were bringing in the proper silver surfer in then as I stated but there is zero indication of that. I have zero faith they won’t fuck up my all time favorite comic hero.

jason10mm

Gold Member

If they set it in the 616 they couldn't have it be in the 60s and Galactus would just eat some no-name planet no one cares about. By having Galactus eat Earth and have the F4 escape into the 616 that ups the stakes when the 616 Galactus and Norrin Radd Surfer shows up.
That seems way too high concept to sell. I guess if its good and the alt-Earth thing happens in the third act and not right away, maybe the masses will buy it but DAMN, that's some navel gazing story wanking to try to have an individual story AND keep it all connected. The MCU already set up plenty of 60's era heroes that for some reason are memory holed by the 2010s, I don't really see why they can't layer these new stories on top and just use periodic team ups to have them all hang out.

I remember I worked at a movie theater when both the original F4 and The Rise of the Silver Surfer came out, both were horrible, but I remember thinking that Larry Fishburne as The Silver Surfer's voice was a solid choice and the best thing about the movie.

That reboot a few years ago was also horrible, even worse than the original 2 in my opinion.

I guess I could keep an open mind about this 4th reboot, but Marvel's outings the last few years have almost all been mediocre at best so I don't have a ton of faith that they'll do the team justice. It's crazy we haven't gotten a good X-Men or F4 movie all these years into the super hero craze rights issue aside.

Fantastic 4th times a charm I guess. I hope.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I guess I could keep an open mind about this 4th reboot, but Marvel's outings the last few years have almost all been mediocre at best so I don't have a ton of faith that they'll do the team justice. It's crazy we haven't gotten a good X-Men or F4 movie all these years into the super hero craze rights issue aside.

Fantastic 4th times a charm I guess. I hope.
The rumor is that Disney wants to use the Fox actors but can't till their contracts run out(next year or in 2026).

Top Bottom