• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Chabon’s pitch for a Fantastic Four movie (1995)

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Fantastic Four aren't about darkness
- They are about the fantastic possibilities and wonder in life, not darkness
- The world is stuck in a perpetual state of beehive hair-dos, atomic scares, communists and everything 1963
- In this fantastic world, there are secret laboratories, secretive European countries and other spots of incredible advancement
- Story focuses on Sue and Reed, Thing and Human Torch are "ancillary" characters
- Story isn't about how they got their powers because thats goofy
- Dr Doom or Galactus/Silver Surfer are the proposed villains (and Communists!)
- Dr Doom has mapped the time stream and wishes to use his time machine to alter the past to create a present that is conducive to his needs (you know it'll be a bad place)
- Communists capture Sue Storm and brainwash her into killing the other members instead of using the SueStorm turns into Malice plotline

dW7OaXb.png

http://www.newsarama.com/23077-not-...el-chabon-tim-story-arrested-development.html

Sounds like a fun premise but because its 1995 I really doubt they were up to the task. They weren't up to the task in 2000 either. Why is it so hard to remake The Fantastic Voyage with Marvel characters? *shakes fist at the sky*

Because film studios then (and now) think that people don't want to see the source material as it is.

Now they're confused as to why Marvel is mopping up at the box office.

i dunno why they don't just hire him on as a writer now. his only two contributions to film were spiderman 2 and john carter and they were fun (the former being the GOAT comic book movie tbh)

MC Safety

I like the idea of setting a Fantastic Four movie amid the Cold War and the 1960s, but suggesting Thing and Torch should be secondary characters misses the point of the comics.

I'm not sure how much of a pitch this is. It seems kind of unfocused, suggesting an either/or situation with the villains, and attempting to rework the Malice storyline, which wasn't all that good when John Byrne did it.

gerg

I think the Fantastic Four is a property that could really benefit from being set in the past, or some kind of retro-futuristic alternative universe. I'm having a hard time envisaging how the characters would fit into the current Marvel movie universe, for example, unless they spent most of their time in Asgard-esque locales.

I don't like that the focus wouldn't be on them. Some heroes you do the story about what's happening around. The FF should focus on the FF. I do like the beehive and communist setting though.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
And 9 years later Pixar showed how comic team movies should be done especially the F4:

But now we're getting Dr. Doom-Jong-un and an inevitable X-Men crossover

Seriously, this shouldn't be hard.
"Alright people. Adapt the comic, and use the Incredibles as the basis for the writing"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom