• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Marvel have struck a deal with Fox for Fantastic Four film rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Marvel Puzzle Quest, like Marvel Heroes, was initially released before Contest of Champions. As such, the Puzzle Quest devs dodged the bullet.

Why would that matter? Is it that the contract upon time of signing with the developers excludes them from releasing certain characters? I'm sure if Marvel demanded as such, d3 would not have released Mr Fantastic for example.

Neoxon

Why would that matter? Is it that the contract upon time of signing with the developers excludes them from releasing certain characters? I'm sure if Marvel demanded as such, d3 would not have released Mr Fantastic for example.
Because certain contracts were likely signed at the time giving the developer in question access to certain characters, including DLC. For reference, because Marvel Mighty Heroes was after the cut-off point, their license excluded anyone connected to the X-Men or the Fantastic Four. Though with Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch, they seem to be allowed on a case-by-case basis (allowed for Lego Avengers, but not Marvel Mighty Heroes or Marvel Future Fight).

Because short of Disney draining their piggyback, Marvel really has nothing to offer FOX for that... nor does FOX have any... logical reason to want to give it up.

Heck, I would say FOX hasn't even exploited the X-Men license for all it's worth yet

You're right. Marvel/Disney can't afford the X-Men property. Besides, they'd probably ruin it anyway with their light tone.

Garlador

You're right. Marvel/Disney can't afford the X-Men property. Besides, they'd probably ruin it anyway with their light tone.

Ah yes. That Marvel and their constant, non-stop, Disney-friendly "light tone".
2015-04-12_23_25_20-0.gif

GIF_daredevil_trailer_karenmatt.gif

08-20a37.jpg

daredevil-ep4-cardecapitation.gif

Hey, I don't think everything Marvel does is golden, but it's ridiculous to think Marvel can't do the X-men justice or get their tone right, or that they'd be afraid to go dark with it.

Honestly, one of my big issues with the Fox X-men films is how silly some of them end up being by trying to be "cool" by being "darker"... so, yes, I would prefer yellow spandex over dull black leather outfits. Having colors other than black doesn't mean a property can't be dark as all hell.

See the upcoming Jessica Jones as proof of that.
Did-you-spot-the-Avengers-Easter-egg-in-the-new-Jessica-Jones-teaser-trailer.jpg

The color purple will get a whole lot creepier soon...

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Hey, I don't think everything Marvel does is golden, but it's ridiculous to think Marvel can't do the X-men justice or get their tone right, or that they'd be afraid to go dark with it.

Honestly, one of my big issues with the Fox X-men films is how silly some of them end up being by trying to be "cool" by being "darker"... so, yes, I would prefer yellow spandex over dull black leather outfits. Having colors other than black doesn't mean a property can't be dark as all hell.

Did-you-spot-the-Avengers-Easter-egg-in-the-new-Jessica-Jones-teaser-trailer.jpg

Why even still argue with these haters at this point?

iamblades

Yeah, and I'll take 'light tone' where it makes sense(which is most of the avengers and GotG certainly) over 'every character is batman because that's all we know how to do well'.

We also likely are going to see some darker marvel movies with Dr Strange, Civil War and Ragnarok. We don't need a broody emo captain america or iron man.

It's disingenuous to contrast Netflix releases with that of cinematic films. Marvel have set out clearly their vision for the mass audience, and that is bright, vivid colours with humour. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but needless to say it wouldn't fit in with an X-Men universe that tends to flirt with more provocative themes such as racism.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's disingenuous to contrast Netflix releases with that of cinematic films. Marvel have set out clearly their vision for the mass audience, and that is bright, vivid colours with humour. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but needless to say it wouldn't fit in with the X-Men.
Even the X-Men have their fun moments.

Dalek

Well at least we might actually get an X-men film, and not Wolverine and friends.

Truth.

"Hey look it's Jamie Madrox the Multiple Man. You can tell by his powers."

It's disingenuous to contrast Netflix releases with that of cinematic films. Marvel have set out clearly their vision for the mass audience, and that is bright, vivid colours with humour. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but needless to say it wouldn't fit in with the X-Men.

Is this the same dark X-Men franchise with NSYNC jokes and "Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning?" Quips?

Rydeen

Can we get a thread title change?

The rumor is false.
Same thing happened after the rumors about Spider-Man being folded into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and look how that turned out. My money's on a concrete answer in the next 12 months.

Dalek

I just watch the movies for the cameos at this point, since we never get to know anybody.

Oh come on-you've never dreamed of an X-Men franchise where Mystique of all people is The Most Important and Interesting Character in Existence?

It's kind of nice that Marvel doesn't have those film right. It means that they can focus on characters who otherwise wouldn't get movies. Do you honestly think we would have gotten an Iron Man movie if Marvel never lost the rights to Spider-Man and X-Men?

It's hard to remember now, but at the time the first Iron Man movie came out he was a C-list character at best.

RK128

So this rumor is false?

I mean, despite the Fantastic Four reboot not doing so great (or not being a good film from critical and fan feedback), Fox still wants to use the IP for something. Or, they just want to spite Marvel by having the rights to something 'they' own.

With the X-Men, I see something like the Spider-Man deal with Sony/Marvel Studios happening at some point. It would be a good relationship as Marvel can use X-Men characters in Marvel films (Avengers, ect) while Fox gets more advertisment for the X-Men brand and has creative control over the films it makes.

Still, a Marvel Studios produced X-Men film should be really great, as I would love to see their take on other famous X-Men heroes like Jean Grey, Shadow Cat, Beats, Cyclops, Psylock, and many others. It would also give them more female heroes to have in their films, as the X-Men universe is overflowing with strong and powerful female heroes.

Interested to see how this all plays out within the next few years, but right now Fox is okay with the X-Men IP, with the Deadpool film coming up looking fantastic and I am wondering how they will do the Apocalypse story line.

Truth.

Is this the same dark X-Men franchise with NSYNC jokes and "Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning?" Quips?

Beasts of No Nation and American Psycho also have several examples of dude-bro humour, therefore they are fun films.

Amirite?

RangerX

Banned
Oh come on-you've never dreamed of an X-Men franchise where Mystique of all people is The Most Important and Interesting Character in Existence?

Your joking but as someone whos been reading X-men comics for 25 years I am completely baffled and appalled by how they made Mystique so important in the films. People might like Singer's X-men films but they are that in name only. I don't think I'm ever going to see a proper X-men film at this stage.

So, X-Men are that dark now? Wow.

Of course not.

I just find the suggestion that specific examples of humour somehow equate to a film being light-hearted and fun.

The premise of the X-Men however is darker than that of Marvel villains wanting to wipe out the Earth for reason #2419 as shown in their movies. It's not even a comparative. And I personally think that tone to be more interesting for that universe. Perhaps it's a testament to how cartoony the Marvel villains have been that we can have this discussion.

Slayven

It wouldn't be so bad if that Mystique wasn't so bland and lifeless. Her entire identity is only what the men in her life decide it to be. 616 Mystique would put 2 in her dome as a mercy kill

So, X-Men are that dark now? Wow.

Well the climax of the first couple were at night

RK128

Your joking but as someone whos been reading X-men comics for 25 years I am completely baffled and appalled by how they made Mystique so important in the films. People might like Singer's X-men films but they are that in name only. I don't think I'm ever going to see a proper X-men film at this stage.

Well, the actress of the Main Character of Hunger Games plays Mystique, so they want to bank on how popular she is by having more exposure of her in the newer X-Men films.

If it means anything, I thought that First Class did a good job highlighting all the characters. Days of Future Past was more or less a Wolverine Movie with X-Men and company tagging a long (from the hour and a half I watched of that; didn't see the whole thing) though.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Of course not.

I just find the suggestion that specific examples of humour somehow equate to a film being light-hearted and fun.

The premise of the X-Men however is darker than that of Marvel villains wanting to wipe out the Earth for reason #2419 as shown in their movies. It's not even a comparative. And I personally think that tone to be more interesting for that universe. Perhaps it's a testament to how cartoony the Marvel villains have been that we can have this discussion.
I dont think seeing Magneto doing stuff against humanity and beeing sided by a human who wants to wipe out mutantkind for 15 movies is far more interesting.

Edit: Based Slayven!

Of course not.

I think you mean Comic Booky.

XAL

Ahhhhh close the thread already please.

I keep getting excited and let down simultaneously everytime I see this move up.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Same thing happened after the rumors about Spider-Man being folded into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and look how that turned out. My money's on a concrete answer in the next 12 months.

I mean.
The concrete answer right now is "no".
So...

I dont think seeing Magneto doing stuff against humanity and beeing sided by a human who wants to wipe out mutantkind for 15 movies is far more interesting.

Edit: Based Slayven!

I think his argument/reason for wanting to do so are interesting. The fact that he can recruit others to his cause because of the racism, fear and intolerance they faced by an increasing aggressive human population can prompt questions from the audience.

We even had a thread about this and its parallels with MLK and Malcolm X.

I can't remember the last villain or what their issue was in Marvel.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think his argument/reason for wanting to do so are interesting. The fact that he can recruit others to his cause because of the racism, fear and intolerance they faced by an increasing aggressive human population can prompt questions from the audience.

Funny thing, I can tell you the motivation from 11 years of MCU villains and I have big problems recalling any motivation of X-Villains beside wanting to destroy/heal all mutantkind because of racism.

Slayven

Funny thing, I can tell you the motivation from 11 years of MCU villains and I have big problems recalling any motivation of X-Villains beside wanting to destroy/heal all mutantkind because of racism.

If we ever got Utopia Cyclops on screen, folks wouldn't know what to do

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Truth.

"Hey look it's Jamie Madrox the Multiple Man. You can tell by his powers."

if you wanna go by powers and abilities...thats a whole new game you can play watching the XMen films..." who is this cornball getting beat up by mystique?"

Who is that cornball? an Xmen triva game brought to you by Parker Bros.

Kingpin, but Marvel TV... Disingenuous... Something like that right?

Plus Purple Man has the potential to be one of the best comic book villains in a long time.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

? I guess im wondering why magneto couldn't have

A) powered a device that behaves like an electromagnet...hence no need to risk his body or Rogue, batteries man!

2) how will he deal with a phone call to the police informing them of his plan that could be verified with minimal follow up? Yep theres...the machine..call it off.

iii) What will you do when you just make a bunch of dudes with influence a bunch of shitty morlok type mutants and ruin their lives while others capitalize on the chance to push them aside? it's a complete fail and you killed a fellow mutant to accomplish nothing.

Magneto is so powerful i never understood his angles in the films. Why not THINK hey Charles this is a trap bring Colossus and lets beat some ass, in X2?

Dalek

Remember that time Magneto tied up Rogue in the Statue of Liberty's torch and wanted to turn the United Nations into mutants because reasons?

2dark4u

such disgusting slander.
2srgCIF.png

this is what happens when MCU fans are literally starving for some villainy. thank god for netflix marvel which is separated from the mickey mouse movies. punisher gonna come through for us all.

I'm not especially familiar with the X-Men franchise, but nothing about it really seems like it would need to be much darker than, say, Winter Soldier. Or even necessarily that dark, really.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
such disgusting slander.
2srgCIF.png

this is what happens when MCU fans are literally starving for some villainy. thank god for netflix marvel which is separated from the mickey mouse movies. punisher gonna come through for us all.

typical foXMen fan, blatherskite , no refutation possible so misdirection and ad hominen in light of no real substance beyond their own adoration of leather jackets and blue man group stunt work.

What has Fox done to the Children of the Atom...

killed them, soon the xmen will be fully fallen from grace ,the only fans left people who grew up on wifebeaterBomberJacket Wolverine, master of Quarters Magneto , heroin pusher Beast , and a Colossus that skips leg day...dammit Fox

Well at least we might actually get an X-men film, and not Wolverine and friends.
God forbid
It wouldn't be so bad if that Mystique wasn't so bland and lifeless. Her entire identity is only what the men in her life decide it to be. 616 Mystique would put 2 in her dome as a mercy kill
Amen
If we ever got Utopia Cyclops on screen, folks wouldn't know what to do

Or even Astonishing Cyclops.

At what point do they just concede that Fantastic Four isn't going to work as a movie and just put the effort toward some other comic book series? Like what is it about F4 that they HAVE to keep trying, no matter how many times it crashes and burns?

At what point do they just concede that Fantastic Four isn't going to work as a movie and just put the effort toward some other comic book series? Like what is it about F4 that they HAVE to keep trying, no matter how many times it crashes and burns?

That was always my opinion too, but given the current quality of MCU films? I think the FF would have a decent shot at being watchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom