• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Marvel have struck a deal with Fox for Fantastic Four film rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

decoy11

wish this was true since I would of liked Marvel Comics to stop dumpstering the comics because they don't own the movie rights.

Garlador

Why ? Xmen movies are some of the best in the genre

I continue to be mixed on the X-men movies. I acknowledge that they're well-made...

... But at the same time, if you're a fan of characters other than Wolverine, Xavier, Mystique, or Magneto, there's a really high chance the character will be altered beyond all recognition in the transition.

They have the characters (Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Havok, Juggernaut, Colossus, etc.), they have their names and their powers, but the personality traits they possess in the comics are often largely absent. Key relationships that define them are missing. They're there to fill out rosters and make fans go "ooh, that's Kitty Pryde! I know her!" but almost none of them have any arc, any development, or any faithful portrayal to the medium that spawned them in the first place.

DESPITE this, they're good movies, but they're not remotely faithful adaptations, even in the general sense. Even Wolverine himself was altered into "leading man material" and is a pretty far cry from his unhinged, short, stocky, abrasive comic counterpart. It works for the films, and I enjoy it along with everyone else, while acknowledging it's not the Wolverine I enjoyed growing up on.

In that regard, what Fox has done with X-Men is the SAME approach they used on Fant4stic... only without a Wolverine, Magneto, or Xavier performance, it falls apart.

Like the X-men, the Fant4stic team are the characters in name and power only. Everything else is unrecognizable. The villain is Dr. Doom... in name only. Their motivations, their origins, their personality traits, their personal connections, all were altered beyond recognition. It worked in the X-men because the X-men has hundreds of mutants to toss in for a quick cameo and they don't have to be faithful whatsoever so long as they're just THERE (Quicksilver in DOFP is NOTHING like Quicksilver in the comics, but many viewers loved it), but the Fantastic Four aren't interchangable with a dozen other mutants per movie; they're the core. So while X-men can just do whatever the hell they want with most characters (we drew the line with Deadpool...), their "center" characters (Charles, Magneto, Wolverine) at least had the very best characteristics of their comic counterparts that the spirit of the comics was maintained in those three and those three primarily, so everyone else became background noise to Charles and Eric's civil war.

But the spirit of the comic wasn't maintained for Fant4stic, and there is no character that really embodies it in the new film. Fox did exactly what they did with X-men, because they've never really expressed any interest in being faithful to the comic until recently (hello Deadpool reboot), but what worked for X-men doesn't work with the Fantastic Four. They're too personal, too unique, too dependent on one another to function. An X-men movie can exist without Cyclops or Jubilee, or they can be good even if Angel or Blob or Sabretooth aren't done justice, but EVERYONE has to work in the Fantastic Four for the team to work, and the new film just did not do that.

If Fox approaches the Fantastic Four like they approach the X-men, it will fail again and again.

Cptkrush

If I recall, Hasbro can still make X-Men toys. The catch is that they have to be weaved into Avengers waves (they apparently can't make X-Men waves, anymore). You can see this in the NYCC-exclusive figures, which was basically an Avengers wave that featured Rogue. That plus the ones that did come out prior to the cut-off point were Toys R' Us-exclusive. Though the video game shut-out is indeed real......for all games released after Contest of Champions (emphasis on after). Basically Lego Avengers, Marvel Mighty Heroes, & Marvel Future Fight got the blunt of it. That being said, the likes of Marvel Heroes (which saw its initial release prior to the cut-off point) dodged the bullet. The cartoons are also feeling the effects of the shut-out, with Marvel Animation backpedaling on all appearances of X-Men & F4 characters in more recent episodes.

The Rogue shown at NYCC is a mock up for next year's X-Men Legends line, like the Spider-Man Legends. They are introducing a new line just for X-Men characters.

This thread has been a rollercoaster
tumblr_msaq2tuJSW1sdw9ggo1_250.gif

While I do think he's perfect for Doctor Doom NOW-most likely the role will be cast similarly in age to Reed Richards, and they'll probally skew younger.

I don't see them doing a Young Fantastic Four again so soon after this one failed. Hugh Dancy for Reed.

Lol we all questioned him about it and then he serves the truthfact. I legitimately had no idea about Constantin and I haven't seen a single site mention them during all the rights discussions

When I saw the name Constantin I was trying to remember where I saw their name before. Then I remembered they released the Resident Evil movies!

Cafeman

The was the most crushing disappointment of a debunked rumor ever. Even Stan Lee posted it was so! I believe it! I imagined Avengers vs Dr. Doom!

ah, rats.

Malmorian

I feel like they focus too much on their powers, and not the chemistry. No one these days gives 2 shits about a "family of superheroes" schtick. It should all be about the rivalry between those two with the rest of the folks filling out the cast.

Make the movie be about the science, a race to see who can save the human race 1st.

Neoxon

Or that's just tinfoil hat bullshit.
You have to admit that the X-Men/F4 shut out from all post-Contest of Champions games is a bit suspicious. That plus there are a number of shirts & posters with all Fox-related characters removed. Something's definitely up.

Squire

Banned
You have to admit that the X-Men/F4 shut out from all post-Contest of Champions games is a bit suspicious. That plus there are a number of shirts & posters with all Fox-related characters removed. Something's definitely up.

It's nowhere near as severe as is so often suggested though.

Also, whoo boy this thread delivered some twists.

Dalek

They are all up in Marvel Puzzle Quest though. Some if the recent additions were The Thing, Mr. Fantastic and Old Man Logan.

Neoxon

They are all up in Marvel Puzzle Quest though. Some if the recent additions were The Thing, Mr. Fantastic and Old Man Logan.
Marvel Puzzle Quest, like Marvel Heroes, was initially released before Contest of Champions. As such, the Puzzle Quest devs dodged the bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom