• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Marvel have struck a deal with Fox for Fantastic Four film rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure of the legitimacy of the site but Den of Geek have an exclusive claiming that Marvel has secured the rights back for Fantastic Four from Fox.

Megaton if true.

Link

Would make sense since Fox salted the earth for any future FF films with that horrendous reboot.

According to our source, Fox were given the TV rights for X-Men in exchange for Fantastic Four. The deal's been in the works for some time, we're told, and further, the timing of Marvel's recent announcement of its movie slate leading up to the year 2020 and the X-Men TV series is no coincidence.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/fan...t-marvel-movie-planned-for-2020#ixzz3odf0JYue

Edit: Worth noting that Marvel has recently announced three untitled films for 2020. Den of Geek are claiming one of these to be the FF movie.

Praise Doom.

Update:
Editor in Chief at collider.com says it's not true.

Full article here.

Apparently Marvel never had the TV rights to X-men in the first place so there was no trade whatsoever.

Update 2: Den of Geek have updated with this.
Update: Having asked for some clarification from our source, we understand that the deal Marvel have made with Fox - which will see Fantastic Four returned to the Marvel fold in exchange for the X-Men TV rights - also includes the rights to villains Galactus and Doctor Doom, as well as the Silver Surfer.

If the deal pans out as our contact says it will, this means that two of the biggest villains in comic books will be able to appear elsewhere in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and not just in the 2020 film we've heard is already in place.

Update 3: Rumour was confirmed false by multiple sources. Pack it up, boys and girls.
From Den of Geek
Since our original story about the possibility of Marvel having re-acquired the rights to Fantastic Four, we've been contacted by 20th Century Fox. It states that our source's suggestion that Fox had reached some kind of deal with Marvel is "completely untrue."

A denial has also come from Marvel.

Cheebo

Banned
People speculated this when we found out yesterday Marvel is letting Fox have the X-Men tv rights now. We'll see. I will wait for a more trustworthy source.

El Topo

Can't wait for the Captain Marvel movie to debut in 2021. Wait, 2020? Oh, no delay possible? That's actually fantastic.

I hope they didn't pay much , fantastic four is pretty meh as a franchise at the moment

Free Doom , last iron man villain x team up with thanos and galactus x silver surfer take over after Thanos dies

Thinking about it, it's insane that Fox couldn't find success with Dr Doom. One of the coolest villains in the history of pop culture.

Doom
Galactus
Silver Surfer

I am still not sure who had the rights to the Skrulls. Agents of SHIELD could really use them.

Correct. Marvel would get Doom and Galactus back. Which is the most important part of such a deal. Fuck Thanos, the granddaddy is coming home.

Well then marvel has the two most important marvel villians back.

So expect a tease of Doom or Galactus right after the second part of the third Avengers movie.

Donos

I hope Xmen is next.

Galactus rights are then on Marvel right? Please god let it be true.

X-Men Ip is not in shambles like F4. Sucessful X-Men films keep the Marvel brand strong while the last F4 movie did ... well...

Now there is a Chance of a proper Dr. Doom ??

SpaceWolf

Banned
HoldOntoYourButts-6569368e73fdd4fc78eab08ecf814080.gif

Based on James Gunn's comments though, I won't get my hopes up.

McNum

So, Doctor Doom vs. The Avengers? Yes, please. Heck, a Doctor Doom solo movie would be crazy enough to work.

Galactus and the Silver Surfer would be nice, too. I could see the Guardians of the Galaxy run into Surfer, at least. Wasn't he a member at some point, come to think of it? Comics are weird...

As for the Fantastic Four themselves? Eh, a walk-on cameo in a second tier Marvel film is enough... if they have to appear that is.

Busty

Banned
It's no coincidence that this has cropped up in the light of FX setting up two TV projects with Marvel set in the X-Men (???) 'universe'. Giving up the F4 rights in return for more/all X-Men live action television rights would make sense but this all seems a little too easy for me.

If true it could be huge but I just cannot see Fox being that forward thinking and open minded about the whole affair.

But if this does come to pass it would potentially show the aggressor in the Fox and Marvel's dealings in the past has been Rothman and where is ol' Rothamn now? Sony. It's going to make Spider Man's
glorified
cameo appearances in the MCU all the more interesting.

Yes. I'm in the minority it seems in that I care more about the Fantastic Four in the MCU than Doom. They are awesome if done right.

Was there a thread for these X-Men FX shows? I completely missed the news.

They property is so damaged now, why would Marvel Studios even want the F4 back?

They're hoping five years is enough time that people will forget. They will reboot and repackage it with some crossovers.

Majanew

Banned
Would be awesome if true.

Doom and others can show up for the infinity war.

And Thanos can pay Galactus a visit once he has the infinity gauntlet on with all 6 gems. The opportunities!

So I'm guessing this will mean F4 will appear as cameos in other Marvel movies. But at least Doom, Galactus, and Silver Surfer will finally be where they belong.

Thank you Josh Trank. This was his plan all along.....

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
iirc Marvel has the rights to the Skrulls already, it's the Super Skrull that they don't.

Doom and Galactus are the obvious advantages, but F4 back would also mean Annihilus, who could be useful for GotG.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Expect the people whining about how X-men should go back to Marvel to increase now that Spidey and FF seem to be back in the Marvel camp.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
As someone that has never read a comic book, it would be nice to see what the fuss for Dr. Doom is all about.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Do Den of Geek have a good track record with these kind of reports? Someone check the source before Bobby Roberts yells at us.

ZeroX03

Banned
Happy if true. I don't care for the Four themselves - they're a giant snooze honestly - but Doom, Skrulls and Galactus (and the GOAT Kang maybe?) are great gets.

And Fox are doing decent work with X-Men and I like that they don't have to follow the Marvel Studios formula so I prefer them at Fox. FX and Noah Hawley are very solid choices on the TV front.

Cheebo

Banned
Expect the people whining about how X-men should go back to Marvel to increase now that Spidey and FF seem to be back in the Marvel camp.
Except no one saying that makes any sense at all. The X-Men films of late have been both financially and critically successful. Fox has absolutely nothing to gain by doing that. X-Men is easily the most lucrative franchise Fox has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom