• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Marvel have struck a deal with Fox for Fantastic Four film rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

With spiderman its just a simple fact that every movie has made less than the last and that is not the direction you want to go in with an IP that has that kind of potential.

Sony could have just got their shit together and tried to make the best Spidey movie they could but that was still no guarantee that they'd get the returns they'd want. Their best bet was to have Marvel take the wheel and give Spidey the kind of buzz he would get from joining up with the Avengers. They can get that MCU cred and also have a (hopefully) decent Spider-Man movie to build a new franchise on.

I'm just gonna hang back, and wait for you to respond... since we're on the same wavelength it seems :p

Platy

If Fox is to be believed, they think there's a good Fantastic 4 film with Fant4stic's cast "somewhere" and they just have to find it. It could just be PR but as it stands right now they're going ahead with a sequel.

Well the cast was by FAR the best thing about the movie.

...maybe the only good thing =P

Patryn

Compared to its budget, when Fox made "Elektra", it only made 131% more than its initial projected budget at the box office. Since theaters and distributors take a huge cut of those returns, failed to recoup their losses, and Fox saw no more use for the Daredevil franchise and let it lapse. Marvel picked it up.

Compared to its budget, when Fox made "Fant4stic", it has only made 139% more than its initial projected budget at the box office.

... Hmmm.

Well, the Fantastic Four movies have BOTH going against them.

1 Fantastic Four $330.6 million 27% Rotten Tomatoes
2 Rise of the Silver Surfer $289 million 37% Rotten Tomatoes
3 Fant4stic $167.1 million 9% Rotten Tomatoes

Even then Fox was getting ready to do a Born Again film for Daredevil to meet its deadline, but had the whole thing fall apart at the 11th hour and they couldn't get anybody to pick up the pieces.

However, Fox wasn't super invested in the franchise, as Marvel offered to give them more time with Daredevil in exchange for Galactus and Silver Surfer, but Fox said no and let the DD rights lapse.

I'm just gonna hang back, and wait for you to respond... since we're on the same wavelength it seems :p

Yeah wasn't responding directly to your post, but the idea that Spider-Man movies still make a lot of money (they kinda do just based on gross alone) but what they're getting alongside that downward trend is not good enough when they're also missing out on merch $$$

Penguin

Yeah wasn't responding directly to your post, but the idea that Spider-Man movies still make a lot of money (they kinda do just based on gross alone) but what they're getting alongside that downward trend is not good enough when they're also missing out on merch $$$

Oh didn't mean it that way

Just you said basically what I was thinking.

Sony had their backs against the wall with a falling franchise

FOX has a failing franchise, but don't have their backs to the wall which is more important here I think.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I can't wait for Doctor Doom to launch an aerial attack on New York and be disintegrated while a beam of light hits the sky and the FF quip.

a916

I can't wait for Doctor Doom to launch an aerial attack on New York and be disintegrated while a beam of light hits the sky and the FF quip.

If we can't protect the Earth, you can be damned well sure we'll avenge it!

Oh wait wrong movie...

j.rob

Been said to death in this thread probably.

But this is worth it for Doom alone. I like the FF, but I want to see Doom wreck Shit in the MCU with a single foot dive.

Wag

latest

GOAT Doom to the rescue!🐐

Been saying it for a while but I hope so, so that we can get Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer, and Galactus in the MCU films finally. I really don't care about the F4.

Edit: Fuck!

Garlador

Even if the rumor was 100% true, no way would Fox confirm it. Fant4stic is still out in some theaters and still has yet to open in some locations, it has to go through home video release, and there are still network broadcasting terms to negotiate.

Until every last possible door of revenue is closed, they won't say anything on the matter. Nor should they. They still have a terrible film to promote in some places and to try and salvage as much as they can.

They'll talk about a sequel that'll never happen, spin-offs and crossovers that will never occur, put on a bold face and blow a lot of hot air because they're a business and you stand behind your product until the bitter end... and only then, only after all the smoke has cleared, will we know for sure if they've truly given up on it and made a deal with Marvel.

But Fox was never going to confirm this. They'll deny even the merest hint of negotiating or letting go of the series until it's actually "official" and Marvel breaks the news. But that just isn't happening so long as the body of Fant4stic is still warm.

Dalek

Not saying it's true one way or the other, but...

Less than ONE MONTH later, Spider-man joined the MCU.

While I agree there's nothing but smoke here-It could be possible, and even if it were true, neither side would officially announce anything today.

The one sticking point here is the TV show announcements-that's the one thing that lends credibility to this to me.

Garlador

While I agree there's nothing but smoke here-It could be possible, and even if it were true, neither side would officially announce anything today.

The one sticking point here is the TV show announcements-that's the one thing that lends credibility to this to me.

The timing is definitely suspect, especially with Marvel announcing "mystery" movies for 2020.

And the reports that Fox "always had the rights" so there was nothing to negotiate is false. We had Fox executives CONFIRMING that negotiations were in place.

So, yeah, a lot of smoke. But nothing is going to be announced today... or tomorrow... or until Fox knows for sure how much damage the Fant4stic movie did when the Blu-Ray sales shrivel up on the vine.

And the reports that Fox "always had the rights" so there was nothing to negotiate is false. We had Fox executives CONFIRMING that negotiations were in place.
No it wasn't. Fox always said they were in negotiations with Marvel. They didn't say it was for the TV rights. Even the original articles state that they were in negotiations to greenlight production of the series.

http://screenrant.com/x-men-tv-series-live-action-deal/

There's never been indication from Fox that they were negotiating for the TV rights themselves. That matter was supposed to have been settled with the Mutant X lawsuit years ago.

Every other article of this incident says otherwise.
Believe me, I've gone through three entire google results pages of article and not one, not one, has a Fox person confirming that they are seeking TV rights to X-Men.

People just like jumping to conclusions.

Garlador

Believe me, I've gone through three entire google results pages of article and not one, not one, has a Fox person confirming that they are seeking TV rights to X-Men.

People just like jumping to conclusions.

“X-Men, we’re in negotiations with Marvel,” Walden said. “We’re hopeful that we’ll be able to announce something soon. We’re not closed on a deal yet but it’s something we’re definitely pursuing.”
"It's in negotiations," Newman tells TVInsider. "We're cautiously optimistic, we had a good meeting with [Marvel]. That will not be on a fast track creatively. This is just the deal, now we have to find the creative."

The terms of the Mutant X lawsuit were undisclosed, but you don't "negotiate" for a property you own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom