• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Marvel have struck a deal with Fox for Fantastic Four film rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty obvious F4 is a moneysink for Fox right now. They wasted a lot of money on a movie that was a mess that no one saw and nobody's going to see the sequel. Cut your losses send it back to Marvel. Their producers can make a good high-grossing movie, Fox can't.

The terms of the Mutant X lawsuit were undisclosed, but you don't "negotiate" for a property you own.
Lol what? Negotiating just means discussing terms for a deal. In this case Fox needed Marvel's permission to make a live action X-Men show so they negotiated with them on a coproduction deal. It's got nothing to do with TV rights themselves.

By the way, I posted this article in the thread earlier, but it has the VP of Marvel Animation saying that everything X-Men, including animation, is now controlled by Fox. This was back in April.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/02/why-doesnt-marvel-have-an-x-men-cartoon-out/

If this is true, I could see the Inhumans movie being pushed back and them appearing in a Fantastic Four movie first before their own thing.

Edit: nvm its fake now? i wanted to see johnny and crystal go at it.

Aselith

1302426305594.png

tyaaron

Neo Member
So it's a co production but is it tied to the Fox X-men verse or loosely tied the MCU? And why did Marvel need to partner with Fox to make these shows? They could have easily done them on their own.

Penguin

Since you can't have a carnival of... this magnitude without a ring-leader, ladies and gentlement Mr. Johnston!

Earlier today, Den Of Geek ran a rumour that the Fantastic Four rights were returning to Marvel, as some kind of trade for the X-Men TV rights to Fox.

It was utter nonsense, whipped up by the presence of X-Men TV series and some interestingly written press releases.

You can see by from them that while Fox makes a nod towards co-operation with Marvel, and lists a number of Marvel producers on the shows, it is notable that there is no quote from a Marvel rep, just Fox people. It is co-operation in name only, the producers mentioned are part of a legal agreement, they won’t actually have anything to do with the shows. Fox have the full rights to make any live action TV shows based on the X-Men and Fantastic Four properties without interference.

Fox have no intention of letting the Fantastic Four rights slip, even after the performance of their third film. To maintain it, they have to do something but it doesn’t need a feature film to maintain it. Hell, an appearance on Hellfire or Legion might do it. And it is an asset that it would seem foolish to let slip. The last time they did, they lost Daredevil. They’re not letting that happen again.

While there are big problems between the Marvel Films side and the TV/games/comics side, and there have been suggestions that Marvel CEO Isaac Perlmutter may consider the enemy of his enemy is is friend and try to rectify things with Fox, at least as far the TV/games/comics are concerned. However, I’m told by reliable sources that this is not the case. Don’t expect a Fantastic Four comic, or a line of X-Men games and toys any time soon, and expect Marvel Comics to continue to support Avengers, Guardians and Spider-Man for preference.

I understand that Perlmutter is playing the long game, believing that Marvel movie boss Kevin Feige will overspend and underperform on the Avengers movies and that will be his undoing.

Jigorath

Banned
Fox have no intention of letting the Fantastic Four rights slip, even after the performance of their third film. To maintain it, they have to do something but it doesn’t need a feature film to maintain it. Hell, an appearance on Hellfire or Legion might do it. And it is an asset that it would seem foolish to let slip. The last time they did, they lost Daredevil. They’re not letting that happen again.
FOX must be stopped.

Sandfox

If I were Fox I would have tried to do what Sony is doing with Spider-Man now before releasing that horrible movie, but they are probably ok with sitting on the what they have now.

Since you can't have a carnival of... this magnitude without a ring-leader, ladies and gentlement Mr. Johnston!

Wherever there are clicks to be had you'll see an article from Rich.

Jarmel

Banned
I understand that Perlmutter is playing the long game, believing that Marvel movie boss Kevin Feige will overspend and underperform on the Avengers movies and that will be his undoing.

Can't wait till Perlmutter is gone.

Neoxon

As it turns out, Marvel does indeed have all TV rights to the X-Men. It's just that Fox can intervene if Marvel's TV shows concerning the mutants infringe on their movie rights, as was the case with that Mutant X show.
The provision simply states that although the grant of rights to Fox contained in Paragraph 6 of the Agreement does not include live-action television rights, "Marvel shall not, without Fox's prior written consent, which consent may be withheld in Fox's sole discretion, produce, distribute, or exploit or authorize the production, distribution, or exploitation of any live-action motion picture for free television exhibition, pay television exhibition, non-theatrical exhibition or home video exhibition (on cassettes or discs) . . ." (See Choe Decl., Exh. 2 at 9). It is unclear whether this provision was meant to prevent Marvel from producing a live-action television motion picture "based on," or "inspired by," the X-Men property, or whether it merely prevents Marvel from "using," i.e. appropriating, elements of the X-men property in creating a show that is substantially similar to X-Men. Thus, even though a provision precluding Marvel from producing motion pictures "based on" X-Men may be breached by the production of a show whose similarity to the X-Men property is less than "substantial," see Fink, 9 Cal.App.3d at 1008, 88 Cal.Rptr. 679, the Court is unable to discern whether such a provision is in fact part of the 1993 Agreement. Similarly,
So in short, Marvel must have reached some kind of deal. And knowing Marvel, they'd probably want something in return. Though it could be as simple as a decent cut of the profits.

Cptkrush

Don’t expect a Fantastic Four comic, or a line of X-Men games and toys any time soon, and expect Marvel Comics to continue to support Avengers, Guardians and Spider-Man for preference.
Uhhhh... Hasbro just announced a new X-Men toy line, so this stuck out to me

Neoxon

Uhhhh... Hasbro just announced a new X-Men toy line, so this stuck out to me
If I recall, Hasbro can still make X-Men toys. The catch is that they have to be weaved into Avengers waves (they apparently can't make X-Men waves, anymore). You can see this in the NYCC-exclusive figures, which was basically an Avengers wave that featured Rogue. That plus the ones that did come out prior to the cut-off point were Toys R' Us-exclusive. Though the video game shut-out is indeed real......for all games released after Contest of Champions (emphasis on after). Basically Lego Avengers, Marvel Mighty Heroes, & Marvel Future Fight got the blunt of it. That being said, the likes of Marvel Heroes (which saw its initial release prior to the cut-off point) dodged the bullet. The cartoons are also feeling the effects of the shut-out, with Marvel Animation backpedaling on all appearances of X-Men & F4 characters in more recent episodes.

Dalek

As it turns out, Marvel does indeed have all TV rights to the X-Men. It's just that Fox can intervene if Marvel's TV shows concerning the mutants infringe on their movie rights, as was the case with that Mutant X show.

So in short, Marvel must have reached some kind of deal. And knowing Marvel, they'd probably want something in return. Though it could be as simple as a decent cut of the profits.

I start to read this document and about 2 paragraphs in my eyes start to glaze over.

Neoxon

Hey remember when 'Marvel denied Paul Rudd was in -Amt-Man...
Look, between this & the ill-fated Friday Nintendo Direct rumor, my balls might as well be Kree transplants right now. I'd rather not have them turn into Ronan's pair.
.....or Thanos'.

hupla

If I recall, Hasbro can still make X-Men toys. The catch is that they have to be weaved into Avengers waves (they apparently can't make X-Men waves, anymore). You can see this in the NYCC-exclusive figures, which was basically an Avengers wave that featured Rogue. That plus the ones that did come out prior to the cut-off point were Toys R' Us-exclusive. Though the video game shut-out is indeed real......for all games released after Contest of Champions (emphasis on after). Basically Lego Avengers, Marvel Mighty Heroes, & Marvel Future Fight got the blunt of it. That being said, the likes of Marvel Heroes (which saw its initial release prior to the cut-off point) dodged the bullet. The cartoons are also feeling the effects of the shut-out, with Marvel Animation backpedaling on all appearances of X-Men & F4 characters in more recent episodes.
Rouge was explicitly said to not be apart of the Civil War wave (tho she does come with a part for their Onslaught build-a-figure) and that the wave she does ship with will be cmen focused

I'm surprised people don't talk about the prospect of Marvel attaining the X Men. It's arguably more valuable than any current Marvel franchise.

Neoxon

Rouge was explicitly said to not be apart of the Civil War wave (tho she does come with a part for their Onslaught build-a-figure) and that the wave she does ship with will be cmen focused
Weren't those images of Rogue's figure at NYCC from the Avengers wave? And even then, X-Men figures are typically Toys R' Us-exclusives (correct me if I'm wrong, since they're the only place where I can find Hasbro's X-Men figures).

hupla

Weren't those images of Rogue's figure at NYCC from the Avengers wave? And even then, X-Men figures are typically Toys R' Us-exclusives (correct me if I'm wrong, since they're the only place where I can find Hasbro's X-Men figures).
At NYCC Hasbro revealed the rest of the future civil war wave (which will have a Red Onslaught Build-a-figure) and also revealed rouge who they said would be part of a future mass release Xmen themed wave. She does come with the classic onslaught head for the civil war wave but will not ship with them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh man. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

Doom needs to come home!

EDIT: Awww, it's not true? :(

Penguin

I'm surprised people don't talk about the prospect of Marvel attaining the X Men. It's arguably more valuable than any current Marvel franchise.

Because short of Disney draining their piggyback, Marvel really has nothing to offer FOX for that... nor does FOX have any... logical reason to want to give it up.

Heck, I would say FOX hasn't even exploited the X-Men license for all it's worth yet

Mindwipe

Then why are Sony's rights to James Bond set to expire after Spectre?

As already explained, that's a completely different type of deal.

It's pretty common in TV too. I know of one prominent sci-fi show that got a season made for the primary reason to stop the rights reverting. People would be surprised that the broadcaster concerned did not own that show, but but they don't, and its a similar deal.

Shaanyboi

Banned

I mean Wolverine and the X-Men didn't get cancelled for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom