• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Soundtracks of the 6th Generation (+PC/ARC 2000-2005) Voting Thread [over]

demidar

The reason why we have never made a "comment or else your vote will not be counted" rule in these soundtrack threads is because a lot of people have trouble describing how they feel about a certain track or a soundtrack overall, or they may not have a lot of things to say or don't know how to talk about the track in its context It would limit the amount of votes that the thread essentially gets which is definitely a bad thing. Thus we'll never make that aspect a definite rule.

That particular rule is okay for a game of the ____ thread because people have an easier time describing why they liked a game they played since there are many different facets of a game to be discussed, or they can describe something on an anecdotal level. Those threads also typically get a ton of posts so it isn't difficult to put that rule into effect.

So... basically what I'm trying to say is that to try not to let peer pressure get to you, even if I--or anyone else--say, "man these posts are great". I still read and go through all of the posts without comments because music selection tells me what you're into. Since I've known a few of you on GAF for years already I kinda have a feeling as to what you'll pick anyhow. :p

You could always hand in a vote and come back to edit in a comment at any time. I don't like when these threads are locked after the results threads are put up, and I'm going to try to keep it that way for folks who want to append a comment to their posts.

Edit: why do i always always get the last post of a page that's not coooooooooool

I'm mainly doing it for myself. Even if I don't end up posting any comments, I would have at least started thinking of ways to describe music other than "This music is good/this track is cool I guess".

Honorable Mention Post

This list is unordered short of the next three, which were almost a dead tie with Persona 4 (this was a bloodbath).

X. Skies of Arcadia ~ Tatsuyuki Maeda, Yutaka Minobe

Cave Dungeon <--- Vagrant Story-sounding, ain't it?
Kingdom of Ixa'taka
Military Facility Dungeon
Ice Dungeon <---- flawless Downtempo
Delphinus

X. Persona 3 ~ Shoji Meguro

Unavoidable Battle
BABYBABYBABYBABY, er, Mass Destruction <--- This grew on me from hating it early. Such is Meguro's magic.
During the Test
Changing Seasons <--- This song should not WORK. How is it? Why is it?
Master of Tartarus

X. Metroid Prime 1 ~ Kenji Yamamoto, Kyoichi Kyuma

Menu Selection Screen
Tallon Overworld 2
Magmoor Caverns
Phendrana Drifts <---- Tommy Tallarico thinks it sucks, so you know it's great!

X. Shadow Hearts Covenant ~ Yoshitaka Hirota, Yasunori Mitsuda, Kenji Ito

Deep in Coma
Town of Twilight
Ladder to Heaven
Old Smudged Map
The 3 Karma <--- Three masters, one ass-kicking final boss fight theme

X. Wild Arms 4 ~ Masato Kouda, Michiko Naruke, Noriyasu Agematsu, Nobuyuki Shimizu, Ryuta Suzuki

Nightless City Guara Bobelo <---- Far too good to be in this whiny silly game
In a Cold Iron Box
Howling at Unstoppable Fate

X. Zone of Enders 2nd Runner ~ Maki Kirioka, Akihiro Honda, Toshiyuki Kakuta, Norihiko Hibino

Bahram Battleship
Beyond the Bounds
Nephthis Battle <---- INSANE
Ardjet <---- Some Kobayashi-level Epic Shit

X. Venus and Braves ~ Masako Oogami, Keiki Kobayashi, Tomoko Tatsuta, Junichi Nakatsuru

Battle <---- SHIT
Waltz for Ariah <--- HOLY SHIT
History of the Braves <---- HOLY FUCKING SHIT

X. Makai Kingdom ~ Takayuki Aihara, Ayako Saso, Hiroshi Takagi, Ryou Sakai, Hirohito Saitoh, Tsuyoshi Kaneko, Tamiya Terashima

Royal Road <--- Lawrence of the Netherworld
Devil's Descent <--- Almost assuredly Saso's doing
Love/Desire/Affection <---- MK is a collaborative joint both visually and audially, and is NI's best game
Quiet Tension
Makai Fusion
Burning Fighting Spirit

X. Final Fantasy XII ~ Hitoshi Sakimoto

Dalmascan Estersand
Giza Plains
Eruyt Villiage
Salikawood

X. Pokemon Colloseum ~ Tsukasa Tawada

Normal Battle
Phenac City
Cipher Admin Battle
Relic Forest
Semi-final Battle <--- this game's battle themes are lightyears better than any mainline game's ones.

X. Phantasy Star On-Line ~ Hideaki Kobayashi

Pioneer 2
Mother Earth of Dishonesty 2 <---- Saltybet turned me onto this OST
A Longing for Ancient Times
Jungle: A Lush Load
Entry into the Crater 2

I've got my top 10 nailed down (mostly), but now comes the time to actually listen to the soundtracks and pick the ones to put in the list. The thing is, I don't think I can stretch enough adjectives across 10 half-paragraphs and not come across as dry or same-y, so I think I might just do descriptions for the top 5 and leave the bottom 5 as links plus a brief description. Just dumping links isn't very useful.

I suggest what I did: lots of capitalization, alliteration, and vulgarity. :p

Yuterald

Episode I: FROM the Abyss

cover_l.jpg

Composer:
Kota Hoshino

Having grown up with From Software games, I never would have imagined they would be where they are today. When I was younger, my brother and I would bring a system or two to the shore when we would go on family vacations. I can distinctly recall on one particular occasion where we brought our Playstation and King's Field II (which was technically III in Japan). We were that into it, I guess. Years later, when we first got our PS2, were were blown away by From's launch lineup. Their PS2 output may be a joke/laughable to most, but for us, having been there since their early days, it was fascinating and exciting to see the jump from King's Field III to something like Evergrace/Eternal Ring. We never imagined we would have been playing something like this growing and we were certainly NOT prepared for what we were about to listen to...

Notable Selections/Works - Evergrace:
Sunbeams Streaming Through Leaves on the Hills
Ryuvane's Wind
I Saw it in a Circle
Howl

Notable Selections/Works - Forever Kingdom:
Forgotten Valley
Forsakken Village
Palace Theme
Camp Lullaby
Item Shop Song

I couldn't even tell you what I was thinking when I first heard Evergrace's music (pick your poison from the above selection). At times, this shit just sounds like straight up noise. Like it's one big cluster fuck of a jam session. It's fragmented, dissonant, and completely abstract, too. Interestingly enough, according to the composer's Wikipedia page, the guy can't read music...and you know what, I love everything about it. I would like to say, however, that the games have somewhat of a worldly-like sound to them. Between the percussion-work and the chants/hymns (see Sounds of the Cavern), it just sounds very cultured, I guess you could say...or maybe it doesn't, I don't know, some of this shit is crazy! While there's certainly plenty of things "off" about the actual game, the music perfectly compliments its bizarre setting and atmosphere. All of these elements are what made these games so special and unique to me back in the day.
side note; my username here is the name of the main character from Evergrace...

256px-Forever_Kingdom.jpg
Lost_Kingdoms.jpg
Cookiecreamps2.PNG

Kota also did the music for Forever Kingdom (Evergrace II), Lost Kingdoms I & II and The Adventures of Cookies & Cream. Take Lost Kingdom's music, for example; while it is a lot more coherent/structured than Evergrace, you can still hear that distinct Evergrace-like sound (see Plains of Rowahl). Check out the Battle Theme too and compare it to something like Rock Beast: Golem from Cookies & Cream, and then listen to Boss Music from Forever Kingdom (Evergrace II) and you'll really start to go insane! Kota has also contributed music to various Armored Core titles, Otogi, the ever internet-popular Metal Wolf Chaos, and even a Tenchu title. The guy has made his rounds and more importantly, he left his mark during a period/time when From Software (and developers/publishers, in general) were more experimental and had diverse portfolios/projects. Despite having grown up with these guys on the original Playstation, the PS2/GC/Xbox-era of From will always be my favorite and most memorable/personal time I've shared with the company.

A Few Quick Bangers FROM the Archives:
Mansion of Howling Winds - King's Field IV
Otogi
Echo Night: Beyond
Cliff Forest - Eternal Ring

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yoooo, I never hear anyone talking about those soundtracks, Yuterald! It's very very underrated. I genuinely prefer Evergrace to some of their more recent works' soundtracks, tbh. Good work. I like Will the most, tho. It's very Hirota-esque and it's dumb that I'm comparing works from one composer to another but Hirota made a tremendous impact on me that gen. It's also why I probably didn't mind this boss theme in Forever Kingdom cuz I thought it was neato.

I was working on the archive last night into this morning (really! Check it out! I actually have to go for a fifth post now! and it's still in-progress!), and I took the time to actually -really read- those Nocturnowl posts (especially for DKC3 GBA, lol), Yuterald's really cool expansive posts per platform (and it gives me a better impression of what you expect minimalism to be--especially that From post just now), and a lot of other posts.

There's a looooot of good stuff to be gleaned from every post in here. The tracks some of you pick when you're just listing stuff is pretty much in-line with what I thought you'd pick based on previous threads if I've seen you before, and if I haven't seen you before, it's a neat first-impression. As for the folks who made longer posts, it's pleasure reading through them, and I ended up picking some tracks from your posts based on what you said or how lofty of an impression those tracks made on you.

Really, though, check the archive if you're having trouble picking stuff. It takes a lot of time to compile even with a lot of help from other people, and I really hope people are checking it out other than Jucksalbe and probably randomkid. It's been fun to compile, though, because I'm ended up reviewing a lot of soundtracks from that era via listening or through discussion. Soooo... to be honest, for -me-, there are a lot of GameCube / Xbox / GBA soundtracks that I've only listened to out-of-context because I didn't get a chance to play those games until I bought a Wii/DSLite, or didn't get to play at all. So it's neat to read how those soundtracks impacted a lot of you and it helps give me context to them too.

I added a lot of shmup/arcade and FTG soundtracks I really enjoyed from that era to the archive since Ghaleon and I would probably be the only people who'd add those to our lists, lol.

-----------------

As for the vote count, I was doing some of it this morning and as of Page 3, two soundtracks are pretty much neck-and-neck. I *think* that I might start PMing people who said "reserved!" on the first page, or stated that their ballots were incomplete and thus I didn't count them.

But, I hope that people don't do the "reserved" thing for the SotY 2015 thread since the practice sorta doesn't make sense to me. Sorry for being a little blunt about it, but I guess I don't get it, and I'd rather people post when they actually have something to say.

Yuterald

Thanks! I actually was given the option to take off from work today and I took it, so I figured I could contribute something. Yeah, as cool as the Souls games are and as much as I like them, I'm disappointed that FROM doesn't produce/release games like they did before. More disappointingly, I don't understand where their composer(s) went. Motoi has been phoning-in so-so tracks for the Souls games and I'm already beyond tired of it. I absolutely miss the days when both their games and music were more diverse and interesting.

Yeah, I'd like to do about 3 more PS2-related posts and a Dreamcast one, too. So it's cool if we can continue to post stuff after the deadline because I still don't think I'll manage an actual list?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, it'll take me a bit to get the results up because exams, so you can post to your heart's content in here until then.

I counted the results up to page 5 and I'll start PMing more people to finish their ballots on Friday.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I hate double-posting but I actually have something to say.

I'll post a ballot when I'm finished studying for this week's exams on Saturday, which'll probably be different from a loooot of people's lists, but lol.

I did a prelim count of the full ballots cast so far and added everything up, including how many people voted for what soundtrack and stuff (since I learned from last time that this stuff takes a while and I figured I'd get on the ball now). 174 soundtracks have been voted for, which isn't bad. That's a decent spread considering a lot of factors involved. The top three have pretty much been decided, but they haven't run away with it so this could definitely change if more people vote.

51 full ballots have been cast, and I need to PM a few people to remind them about the deadline, but... that's, uh... something. I really hope more people will vote by Sunday. For now, I'll stop working on the archive since I was spending a lot of time on it last week, though. I did not count anyone who said "list is subject to change/list incomplete", etc.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It would really be appreciated, but I usually do a sweep and look for edit times/dates.

I might make that a rule next time, though.

AniHawk

i will definitely be putting my vote in, but this was still one of the generations where i wasn't really paying attention to soundtracks. honestly, there are very few that i can clearly recall.

Anko

I assume visual novels that were released on the PS2 qualify?

It was Japan only, very niche and pretty much something only I will list but I really liked them. Both of them were originally released on PS2 although one went on to get a PC release 7 months later.

I can't believe I forgot about them.

FYI, it's Akai Ito & Aoi Shiro. Both composed by MANYO.

This might change my rankings up a bit... I'll prep to add them in, and move them to honorable mentions if they don't qualify.

demidar

I assume visual novels that were released on the PS2 qualify?

It was Japan only, very niche and pretty much something only I will list but I really liked them. Both of them were originally released on PS2 although one went on to get a PC release 7 months later.

I can't believe I forgot about them.

FYI, it's Akai Ito & Aoi Shiro. Both composed by MANYO.

This might change my rankings up a bit... I'll prep to add them in, and move them to honorable mentions if they don't qualify.

Well people put Phoenix Wright on their lists, which was on GBA in Japan only so it should be fine.

Anko

Well people put Phoenix Wright on their lists, which was on GBA in Japan only so it should be fine.

Done :)

To think that something could come between my love for Kajiura. I really do love the series and his music a lot.
Manyo did amazing work for the first Flowers VN. If the sample tracks for the second VN in the series is any indication, it looks like that trend will continue.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah I was listening to those tracks a while ago (for the second Flowers VN, I mean) and I thought they were really nice!

I think I got my Top 10 down and decided with a bunch of honourable mentions and a few songs + my fave arrangement albums and whatnot. Probably not gonna be a long post, but I don't have time to work on it in-depth atm (in fact, I've only done one soundtrack's writeup right now). It... wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, tbh. GotG, though, is super-hard and every time I attempt to make a list, I end up deleting any preliminary list I write, so I dunno! I think if I were to write a list for that thread, I'll just limit to maybe 1-2 games per platform instead.

For some preliminary stats, it's sorta making me think that we should increase the Top 15 to a Top 20 instead for more variance and a better spread in terms of musicality. But we'll see when the final results come in.

Out of a Top 15, though, the prelim results (as of today), aren't much of a surprise. The genre distribution was expected, the platform distribution was expected, the musical genres included were slightly expected (even though I was surprised with a few inclusions), and even the vote histogram was expected. So even if a lot of people don't vote, it's pretty safe to say that most will agree on what should be there.

Also: Honourable mentions are the very first things used to break ties in a final count, so if you'd like to include them at all, include them.

Yeah I was listening to those tracks a while ago (for the second Flowers VN, I mean) and I thought they were really nice!

I think I got my Top 10 down and decided with a bunch of honourable mentions and a few songs + my fave arrangement albums and whatnot. Probably not gonna be a long post, but I don't have time to work on it in-depth atm (in fact, I've only done one soundtrack's writeup right now). It... wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, tbh. GotG, though, is super-hard and every time I attempt to make a list, I end up deleting any preliminary list I write, so I dunno! I think if I were to write a list for that thread, I'll just limit to maybe 1-2 games per platform instead.

For some preliminary stats, it's sorta making me think that we should increase the Top 15 to a Top 20 instead for more variance and a better spread in terms of musicality. But we'll see when the final results come in.

Out of a Top 15, though, the prelim results (as of today), aren't much of a surprise. The genre distribution was expected, the platform distribution was expected, the musical genres included were slightly expected (even though I was surprised with a few inclusions), and even the vote histogram was expected. So even if a lot of people don't vote, it's pretty safe to say that most will agree on what should be there.

Also: Honourable mentions are the very first things used to break ties in a final count, so if you'd like to include them at all, include them.

We both know from experience here that, deep down, that's not happening. :D

AniHawk

i had not actually listening closely to soundtracks in games. it's something i do now more with time. i like to think that grandia iii was the turning point. it was a game that convinced me that even game music in the modern age can actively ruin a game even more than a truly awful story (why do you hurt me grandia iii your gameplay is so good).

so that essentially renders the previous generation useless. however, i do have fond memories of a couple soundtracks. this is my list, and it's not super great.

1. beyond good & evil ; let's just get this out of the way right now: home sweet home is a little too pretty to be in a video game. i mean, it might be fine as a piece of credits music or during a trailer, but hearing it out on the overworld? i have to actually let the entire thing play out. it's a perfect piece to the introduction of the world of hyllis at large and really the bigger part of beyond good & evil. if this was the only part of the game i could remember, i still might give it the top spot. but what of the funky funky akuda bar, the energetic spanish bar or the wild ballad of hyllis? and so much more. it ranges from beautiful to suspenseful, to scary, and back to beautiful again, and it all works in the strange little world ancel and his team cooked up.

2. metroid prime ; it's just so... uniquely metroid prime. there really isn't anything like it. it's like an alien version of rare's goldeneye soundtrack with a weird midi chorus. and actually it's a lot better than that sounds like it has any right to be. where do i start? tallon overworld theme 2? phendrana drifts? the opening intro and staff credits? without a doubt, it's the soundtrack that stands as the best part of the game.

3. skies of arcadia ; i can't remember any one particular song, except for really the credits music and the intro, both which are urging me to play it again just listening to them now. examples in this very thread are pushing me even more to do so.

x. the legend of zelda: the wind waker ; gets credit for the staff roll.

not really an honorable mention, but i did want to give a wider shout out to gust, for having produced some really good-sounding stuff. surprisingly so, given the budget one might assume for such games.

Eolz

My first post in the thread wasn't a reservation post, so here's the list.
It's a definitive order, I'm just posting it first without the descriptions and links, I'm editing just after this first post.

1. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
1725-1189906095.jpg

Not a typical RPG soundtrack. Composed by the great Ben Houge, this soundtrack is mainly string instruments, with short and melancholic tracks that really fits this strange world. It is classical music at its finest.
You can read his comments on this work here.
Tracks: Arcanum / Dungeons / Isle of Despair

2. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
488-1156062142.jpg

Most people know Amon Tobin for his influence and experiments in various electronic music sub-genres, but many forget he's also the composer of one of the best Ubisoft soundtracks ever. Using his own samples and the help of other musicians, he succeeded at making a soundtrack that is modern and atmospheric, fitting the genre and the Tom Clancy universe, making you tense and attentive to everything you can hear and see ingame.
It also had a great remix album with the "port" of the game on 3DS years later.
Tracks: The Lighthouse / Kokubo Sosho Stealth / Ruthless - reprise

3. Half-Life 2
48631-1413310300.png

A weird mix of techno and atmospheric music, this soundtrack really helps the immersion of this legendary game. Its pacing follows the plot of the game, what you're seeing, what you discovered in the past, and what you're fearing to face around the next corner. It is so perfectly integrated in the levels that you'll immediately remember every moment of the game at every track. Many fans feared that its composer Kelly Bailey wouldn't be there for the future of this series, but he came back last year, hopefully working on games just as memorable.
Tracks: Triage at Dawn / You're not supposed to be here / LG Orbifold

4. Jet Set Radio Future
290-1337972043.jpg

Jet Set Radio was an unique soundtrack for an unique game, and the sequel just does it even better. There's probably more people remembering this soundtrack than what actually happens in the game. Max Anarchy's equivalent during the previous generation, excellent soundtracks that deserve more mentions, from underrated games.
Tracks: The Concept of Love / Like It Like This Like That / Teknopathetic

5. Metroid Prime
412-1272075080.jpg

Unlike other mentions in this list, I don't think this soundtrack particularly stands on its own as a whole. However, it is a masterpiece ingame. It's not just music, it's the sounds of this planet, the melody of one of the most memorable adventures of Samus Aran. You'll feel isolation, discovery, tension, and more. This is definitely futuristic, yet filled with nostalgia of a world you never put your foot on.
Tracks: Title / Phendrana Drifts / Frigate Orpheon

6. Rez
386-1214077070.jpg

This game wouldn't be that good without this soundtrack, but this soundtrack wouldn't be as good either if it wasn't mixed and cut to adapt to the various phases of gameplay. The whole experience as a whole is something that will stay with you for years. It's the kind of music that makes you oblivious to what is happening around you, and I can't even imagine what would happen if that happened with some virtual reality accessory...
Tracks: Buggie Running Beeps 01 <area01> / Fear is the Mindkiller / P-project <Trancemission>

7. Okami
2411-1161303445.jpg

This is the perfect example of a soundtrack being made organically around a game. This is linked to its setting obviously, but also the love the developers poured into this game. 5 CDs full of great compositions, for every part of the game.
Also, it is one of the rare soundtracks where the official artbook will recommend you to listen to a particular track while reading a specific set of pages. Perfect.
Tracks: Ryoshima Coast II / Orca's Theme / Rising Sun

8. Sim City 4
13397-1257920814.jpg

Sim City's soundtracks have always been pretty good, but this one is even better than expected, even listening to it now. It is the kind of soundtrack that is obviously composed to work as a background atmosphere, and to not disturb the player, but it is full of details here and there, and is really varied, powerful, and incredibly dynamic. It could work for every kind of moment ingame, but it really makes you think of specific phases when you're not playing. Could it be the best soundtrack in this genre?
Tracks: By The Bay / Oasis / Primordial Dream

9. Kirby Air Ride
mqdefault.jpg

Kirby is an happy "guy" and so are his games' soundtracks. It contains some classic remixes, uses some kind of orchestral score and has some really interesting and surprising original pieces. Of course, this isn't just about fun, and you can feel the stress some music pieces will put on you during the game.
Tracks: Sky Sands / Machine Passage / City Trial (Backside)

10. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
37624-1359741425.jpg

My favourite Elder Scrolls soundtrack. It is disappointing by its short number of tracks, yet particularly impressive. It's a high-budget soundtrack, that is fairly typical for the genre, but that also defined this series. Classic.
Tracks: Nerevar Rising / The Road Most Travelled / Hunter's Pursuit

Honorable mentions:

There's a lot to mention for every gen, but here's some specific ones:

x. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
x. Super Mario Sunshine
x. XIII
x. Eve Online
x. Shadow of the Colossus
x. Doshin the Giant

Special mention as well to EA, who did a fantastic job with all those licenced soundtracks.

Sorry once again for not posting a list sooner!

Edit: added descriptions. They're short, but I think the message is there. Music speaks better than words :) .

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hmmmmmmm... today's shook some stuff up in the Top 20.

That was pretty neat to see.

i had not actually listening closely to soundtracks in games. it's something i do now more with time. i like to think that grandia iii was the turning point. it was a game that convinced me that even game music in the modern age can actively ruin a game even more than a truly awful story (why do you hurt me grandia iii your gameplay is so good).

so that essentially renders the previous generation useless. however, i do have fond memories of a couple soundtracks. this is my list, and it's not super great.
what do you mean you don't like this glorious piece?!?!

...so there is something that you like about Metroid Prime. :p That's a shock right there.

My first post in the thread wasn't a reservation post, so here's the list.
It's a definitive order, I'm just posting it first without the descriptions and links, I'm editing just after this first post.

Sorry once again for not posting a list sooner!
Don't worry about it. I know that wasn't a reservation post and more of a musing post. :V

We both know from experience here that, deep down, that's not happening. :D
I know.

Oh boy, I know.

Time's ticking.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Hmmmmmmm... today's shook some stuff up in the Top 20.

That was pretty neat to see.

what do you mean you don't like this glorious piece?!?!

...so there is something that you like about Metroid Prime. :p That's a shock right there.

Don't worry about it. I know that wasn't a reservation post and more of a musing post. :V

Still the the only good track in a SHOCKINGLY weak Iwadare soundtrack, and not surprisingly, it was the ambush theme (which is ALWAYS better than the regular battle theme).

I know.

Oh boy, I know.

Hopefully it doesn't go full meltdown like in the latest Essential RPG thread. Not sporting that kind of butthurt.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Added another honorable mention to my vote. I also added some (very short) comments to each of my choices, my post looked so empty otherwise.

Not much time left to vote, folks! Get on it, you wouldn't want your favorite music be underrepresented like Mana Khemia is right now.

Don't really have time for explanations..
  1. Xenosaga III
  2. Tekken 5 DR - released in JP arcades in Dec 2005
  3. Capcom vs SNK 2
  4. Guilty Gear XX
  5. Kingdom Hearts
  6. Kingdom Hearts II
  7. Dragon Quest VIII
  8. Final Fantasy XII
  9. Final Fantasy X
  10. Persona 3

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Additional reminder that this thread isn't going to end at the same time as Game of the Generation. We decided to give everyone the extra day (and thus it'll end at 11:59 PM PST tomorrow) to get a vote in if they were voting in both threads.

So if you're rushing to meet the deadline, don't! You still have more than 24 hours.

Jordan117

1. Katamari Damacy ; Katamari Fortissimo Damacy by Y&#363; Miyake

Sample tracks: "The Moon and the Prince" - "Walking on a Star" - "Angel Gifts"

An unrivaled masterpiece, and one of the most infectiously joyous soundtracks of all time -- an eccentric, richly produced, and incredibly catchy blend of funk, salsa, bossa nova, experimental electronica, J-Pop, swing, lounge, bamboo flute, hair metal, buoyant parade music, soaring children's choirs, Macintalk fanfares, and the finest theme song this side of Super Mario Bros.

(description borrowed from a post I did on the game last year)

2. Jet Set Radio Future ; Jet Set Radio Future: Original Sound Tracks by Hideki Naganuma

Sample tracks: "Sweet Soul Brother" - "Funky Dealer" - "The Concept of Love"

A crazy eclectic and energetic blend of wildly diverse genres that perfectly reflects the spirit of the title -- so key to the experience, in fact, that the inclusion of (nearly) all the tracks was one of the biggest selling points for the last-gen re-release of the game.

3. Halo 2 ; Halo 2 Original Soundtrack: Volume One and Two by Martin O'Donnell

Sample tracks: "Ghosts of Reach" - "Earth City" - "Dust and Bones"

Marty O'Donnell's work on the original Halo introduced an assortment of iconic themes, but it was his score for Halo 2 that fleshed these pieces into full suites and backed them with the power of a live orchestra. Epic, haunting, and powerful, with forays into rock and ambient electronica, his evocative themes defined one of the greatest series in gaming history.

(BONUS: While the Volume One disc included some cringeworthy licensed tracks, it also features "The Odyssey," a four-part instrumental tour-de-force by Incubus that doesn't appear in the game.)

4. Shadow of the Colossus ; Roar of the Earth by Kow Otani

Sample track: "Prohibited Art"

Much of Shadow of the Colossus is spent in silent contemplation as you cross the desolate wastelands. But that silence just lends all the more power to the stirring orchestrations that presage your next foe: rousing music that swells into a majestic bombast as you strike the final blow from on high -- and sinks into somber elegy as you face the consequences.

5. We Love Katamari ; Katamari Wa Damacy by Y&#363; Miyake

Sample track: "Beautiful Star"

It doesn't have the shock of the new that "Fortissimo" had, but We Love Katamari traffics in the same nameless, cheerfully whimsical genre, and boasts a fresh slate of catchy and enjoyable melodies.

6. The Sims 2 ; The Sims 2 by Mark Mothersbaugh

Sample track: "Makeover"

While the first Sims soundtrack made do with modest piano pieces, Mothersbaugh's well-produced follow-up infuses the sequel with a jolly, sprightly air that enlivens even the most tedious gameplay sections.

7. Civilization IV ; Civilization IV by various artists

Sample track: "The Chairman Dances"

Featuring a diverse selection of works from throughout history, the soundtrack for Civ IV is best known for it's inspiring and award-winning rendition of "Baba Yetu." But most interesting, perhaps, is the complete reliance on minimalist composer John Adams to score the game's Modern Age -- his orchestral pieces brim with an energy that intensifies the epic sweep of the game without becoming repetitive or distracting.

8. Crazy Taxi ; by Bad Religion and The Offspring

Sample track: "Them and Us"

You could count the number of tracks heard during gameplay on one hand (with a finger to spare), but the heavy rotation renders them instantly recognizable, and their high-octane spirit mirrors the simple, addictive gameplay. It also helps that Bad Religion in particular serves up some literate, thoughtful songwriting that contrasts well with the manic action.

9. Sonic Adventure ;

Sample track: "Mystic Ruin"

Recaptures some of the magic of the old-school Sonic games while managing to give each environment a strong sense of place.

10. Halo: Combat Evolved ; by Martin O'Donnell

Sample track: "Covenant Dance"

I've had to throw out two other contenders (see below) and am too tired to think of a fresh one, so I'll slot in the first Halo here. As mentioned above, Halo 2 did everything on this album bigger and better, but this first outing deserves credit for generating the underlying themes. Special kudos for wringing such emotion from what was (apart from the title track) a completely computer-generated orchestra and choir.

Honorable mentions:

Not marking these since they're ineligible, but I really wanted to include Twisted Metal 2 and the original Grand Theft Auto before I remembered they're both PSX titles. TM2's driving guitars were super cheesy, but fun and memorable, and I remember being thrilled to find out you could put the GTA disc in a CD player and listen to all the radio tracks on demand, talking heads and all.

Wiktor

1.Clannad - (examples: Nagisa, Roaring Tides)

2.Myst IV (examples: Main Theme, Welcome)

3.Myst III: Exile (examples: Main theme, Going Home)

4.Advent Rising (examples: Bounty Hunter, Greater Lights))

5.ICO - (examples: Castle in the Mist, You were there) I'm propably the only person here who vastly prefers this OST over SotC

6. Air (examples Tori No Uta, Aozora)

7. Shenmue (Main Theme, Shenhua

8. Halo (Truth and Reconciliation, Perilous Journey

9.Higurashi (Rainy Day, Demonic Institute)

10. Darwinia (Impact of Silence, Visitors from space)

10. Okami ; [PS2] - Cursed Shinshu Field

9. ICO ; [PS2] - Castle in the Mist

8. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory ; [PC] - El Cargo

7. Shadow of the Colossus ; [PS2] - The End of the Battle

6. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 ; [PS2] - During the Test...

5. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 ; [PS2] - Heaven

4. Silent Hill 2 ; [PS2] - Theme of Laura (Reprise)

3. Half-Life 2 ; [PC] - Episodes 1 & 2 were amazing as well, and much in the same vein as this one. - CP Violation - Probably Not a Problem - Triage At Dawn

2. EVE Online ; [PC] - Youtube playlist to most of the tracks - You used to be able to move all of the music files from the install directory if you owned the game - which is about 12 hours of music last I checked - but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. The soundtrack was more than worth the price of the game.

1. Deus Ex ; [PC] - Dismayed at the dearth of DX on these lists, but I guess it just speaks to the greatness of that era of game music. One of the best soundtracks of all time to one of the best games of all time! - UNATCO - The Synapse (Hong Kong Streets) - DuClare Château

Anth0ny

Overall, I believe the quality of original video game music went down when compared to the previous gen. With the advent of higher capacity disc media, more and more developers were able to fill up their games with licensed music tracks. When I reflect back on this generation, a lot of the time I’m not thinking of unforgettable original music (as was always the case before) but instead, Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean or Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, but a lot of my favourites from the previous generation (Kondo, Wise, Kirkhope) were not really able to follow-up their masterpieces of that generation. Nevertheless, as is the case for each generation, the following ten games have absolutely stunning soundtracks, whether completely original, remixed from other games, or entirely made up of licensed tracks. Making this top 10 was not easy. Here we go!

Honorable Mentions: Halo: CE, Resident Evil 4, REmake, GTA III (gets credit for having a radio station that is essentially the Scarface soundtrack on loop), SSX Tricky, Metroid Prime.

10. Dragon Ball Z: Sparking!

zz7ajrd.png

I’m sure this one is unique to my list. The reason why this game is on my list is pretty simple. While the Sparking! games are nothing special (known as Budokai Tenkaichi in North America), they had a very specific goal in mind: to replicate the feel of the fights in the Dragon Ball Z anime. This did this through camera angles, easy combos, lots of teleportation, cinematic super moves, and most importantly, the music. In North America, you wouldn’t know this, as the soundtrack was replaced. But in Japan, Shinshuke Kikuchi’s unforgettable score to Dragon Ball Z was kept in tact, slightly remixed. For the first time, the anime’s soundtrack was used for a video game, and it was awesome. I imported the game from Japan just to play it with my ideal Dragon Ball soundtrack. While the original soundtracks made specifically for Dragon Ball games aren’t horrible, I’ll always be partial to the Sparking! trilogy, which used the original anime soundtrack for the first time in a DBZ game. An unforgettable score used to great effect with the Sparking! games.

Sample Tracks:

Solid State Scouter
Mezase Tenkaichi
Son Goku vs. Freeza
Saiyan Battle theme
Fight!

9. Marvel vs. Capcom 2

H0rB1fj.jpg

It seems like MVC2’s soundtrack is a love it or hate it type of deal. I can understand the hate: why is there weird jazz music playing in my crazy, 3 v 3 crossover fighter between Marvel and Capcom characters? While I do prefer the Street Fighter-esque character theme songs given to each character in the original Marvel vs. Capcom, MVC2’s unique, jazzy soundtrack has grown on me tremendously over the years. The jazz music and Storm’s “HO! HO! HO!” just sounds right. And, of course, the game has one of the best character select songs in all of gaming.

Sample Tracks:

I Wanna Take You For a Ride
Opening Title
Carnival Stage
Cave Stage
Clock Tower Stage
River Stage

8. Metal Gear Solid 3

cpVDAGs.jpg

The Metal Gear franchise has given birth to some fantastic music, and MGS3 might be its finest moment. We kick off with the Bond-esque Snake Eater, which soon became one of my favourite vocal tracks in all of video games. Easily one of the most memorable intro songs ever, not only because of the groovy beat, but the completely absurd lyrics. MGS3 does not let up, perfectly meshing the MGS aesthetic with the 60s spy aesthetic. The result is one of the better soundtracks of the generation. The game also ends with my personal favourite use of licensed music in a game’s credits EVER. Starsailor's Way to Fall is the perfect song to end this game, especially coming off the emotional ending of the game’s story.

Sample Tracks:

Snake Eater
Battle in the Jungle
Battle in the Base
Starsailor - Way To Fall

7. Super Mario Sunshine

HdBASZt.jpg

The quintessential summer game, Super Mario Sunshine’s tropical, happy soundtrack is yet another masterpiece on the part of Koji Kondo. Delfino Plaza has become an iconic track from the Mario franchise. While many of the tracks in the game share the same melody, the instrumentals and pace of each song are changed up enough that you never get sick of the sound.

Sample Tracks:

Delfino Plaza
Bianco Hills
Ricco Harbour
Gelato Beach
Noki Bay

6. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3

ZwvlfEw.jpg

Like GTA, the THPS franchise introduced me to a ton of music that I would have never been exposed to otherwise. Playing through the first two THPS games on my N64, I started developing a love for rock and punk rock music that listening to the radio would have never given me. While less influential on my musical tastes than the first two games, THPS3 still has an awesome soundtrack, and Neversoft proves they are the shit at picking great, licensed tracks for their games. Now running at a stable 60fps, THPS is more fluid than ever, with reverts allowing for extended combos moving at higher speeds unlike the previous games in the franchise. As such, the music picked up the pace accordingly, with classics from The Ramones and Motorhead present in the game. The awesome, fun, fast paced gameplay of THPS is synonymous, to me, with an awesome soundtrack, and THPS3 does not disappoint.

Sample Tracks:

The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
The Adolescents - Amoeba
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Fight Like a Brave
AFI - The Boy Who Destroyed the World
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - If You Must

5. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

V6ByJ0x.jpg

While rock music in games usually comes off as generic and forgettable, that was hardly the case for Sonic Adventure 2. Memorable guitar riffs and energetic, fast paced tracks perfectly keep up with the pace of the quick moving Sonic and Shadow stages. Shifting to the slower paced, exploration based stages of Knuckles and Rouge, the musical style also changes, now lounge-like rap and trance. While the lyrics are possibly the dumbest and cheesiest of any songs ever recorded, they are memorable as hell and spending 10+ minutes listening to these songs while searching for emeralds has a special place in my heart. As the characters head into space, the music shifts to a darker, more electronic sound, only to cap off the game with the vocal track of ultimate cheese, Live and Learn.

Pumpkin Hill is probably my favourite song of the entire generation, and that’s not even irony. I can’t stop listening to this song. It’s so dumb that it loops back around to being the greatest thing ever. I just listen to it like:

FPvgUyh.gif

Sample Tracks:

City Escape
Metal Harbor
Green Forest
Radical Highway
Wild Canyon
Sonic vs. Shadow: Final
Live and Learn

and last but not least...

FPvgUyh.gif
PUMPKIN HILL
FPvgUyh.gif

4. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

1OOOMGI.jpg

The story with San Andreas is pretty similar to Vice City. The only difference here is, as a kid, I was obsessed with rap, and my ipod had most of the greatest hits of early 90s west coast gangsta rap on it. Going into San Andreas, after being exposed to the franchise through the masterful Vice City, I had some lofty expectations going in to this game, especially with the soundtrack. San Andreas did not disappoint. 2Pac, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube and NWA were all there. Add to the fact that Los Santos is essentially Compton, California as seen in the music videos of NWA and Ice Cube from the early 90s, and this music felt more than at home. In fact, I’d say Radio Los Santos meshed with the Los Santos aesthetic even better than Vice City’s soundtrack did with that game. It was perfection.

Of course, the game’s soundtrack didn’t consist entirely of gangsta rap, and once again I was being exposed to music from the early 90s that I never heard of before. While west coast rap was the name of the game, I was exposed to rock hits from Guns N’ Roses and Living Colour, as well as classic rock and pop hits from decades before the 90s. However, I found myself blasting the rap stations for the majority of the game. As diverse as the soundtrack is for San Andreas, the rap really is the perfect music to listen to when you consider the game’s aesthetic. While less focused than Vice City, San Andreas has a timeless soundtrack consisting of the greatest rap hits of the early 90s that is a joy to listen to every time I boot the game up.

Sample Tracks (with music videos included so you can see the similarities with Los Santos):

2Pac - I Don't Give a Fuck
Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Dogg – Nuthin But a G Thang
Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Dogg – Fuck wit Dre Day
Ice Cube – It Was a Good Day (literally Grove Street from San Andreas)
Ice Cube – Check Yo Self (The Message Remix)
Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg – Deep Cover
Guns N’ Roses – Welcome to the Jungle
Living Colour – Cult of Personality
Rod Stewart – Young Turks (goes surprisingly well with high speed chases and drive by shootings)

3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

jldnlpw.jpg

Grand Theft Auto is probably the franchise most well known for its fantastic, licensed music-filled soundtracks, and Vice City is the best of the bunch. After a somewhat clumsily put together soundtrack in GTA III, which took place in 2001, Vice City instead takes place in 1986. The various radio stations play what can be essentially called the greatest hits of the 1980s. From new wave to metal to pop to latin jazz, Vice City has it all. I played Vice City at the ripe age of 10 for the PC. Being born in 1992, I had little exposure to 80s culture, or really any popular culture before my time. This all changed with Vice City, and in a time before youtube and spotify, it was through games like Vice City that I was introduced to generations of music I otherwise had no access to. With the exception of the Michael Jackson tracks, everything in this game was new to me.

As soon as the game starts, you jump into your first vehicle and Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean starts playing, you knew you were in for something special. One after another, I was exposed to a new, awesome song. As most of the time playing this game is spent in a car, the 80’s greatest hits added a feel to the game that was incredibly unique, and still is over ten years later. Over 100 of the greatest hits from the 80s are included in this game, each of them playing incredibly well to the atmosphere of the game. There’s nothing quite like flying a helicopter over Vice City while listening to Africa, driving in the rain listening to Owner of a Lonely Heart, or shooting down a bunch of gang members while Iron Maiden is blasting from your car speakers.

I can only hope that GTA returns to the past someday, as I feel Rockstar is at their most creative when tacking a past time period, and has far more established popular culture to explore as a result. A return to the 80s with the current gen would be incredible, just for the music alone!

Sample Tracks:

Toto - Africa
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
Gary Numan - Cars
A Flock of Seagulls – I Ran (So Far Away)
Quiet Riot - Cum on Feel the Noize
Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart

2. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

OpV8mmA.jpg

The best looking game I’ve ever played also enjoys one of the best soundtracks I’ve ever heard. My standards for a new Zelda soundtrack are probably higher than any other franchise out there, and Wind Waker certainly passes that test with flying colors. The instrumentation used in Wind Waker is unlike any other Zelda title, boasting an Irish folk sound that meshes with the cel shaded, colourful art style so perfectly. For the first time, Koji Kondo wasn’t the head composer for a Zelda game, but that didn’t stop composers Kenta Nagata, Hajime Wakai and Toru Minegishi from creating another unforgettable soundtrack that is more than worthy of being attached to the Zelda name.

Even for some of the less colourful parts of the game, Wind Waker’s soundtrack hits it out of the park. The Zelda franchise is known for its memorable, uplifting overworld themes, and The Great Sea is another classic that you never get tired of hearing even after all of that sailing. Dragon Roost Island might be the most memorable theme in the game, and one of my all time favourite Zelda tunes. The music heard in the frozen Hyrule Castle (as well as the subdued music in the “Old” Hyrule) is incredibly atmospheric. The shift from frozen to animated in Hyrule Castle is also brilliantly executed. In true Zelda fashion, Wind Waker brings back the classic, staple tracks of the franchise and executes on them perfectly, with the Hyrule Castle theme from Link to the Past and even the Link to the Past intro jingle being integrated into probably my favorite Zelda cutscene of all time. The direction in this game is fantastic: not only is the music great, but they knew just when to use it for maximum effect.

Sample tracks:

Title Theme
The Legendary Hero
Outset Island
Inside the Pirate Ship
Windfall Island
The Great Sea
Dragon Roost Island
Sealed Hyrule Castle
Hyrule Castle
Ganon's Castle
Farewell Hyrule King

Bonus Track: Wind Waker Symphonic Movement - Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony

A beautiful, orchestrated take on the Wind Waker soundtrack. Flawless.

1. Super Smash Bros Melee

KBjI8My.jpg

I tend to be a purist when it comes to video game music. Many franchises use remixed versions of iconic songs in sequels and spinoffs, and with my tastes, I almost always prefer the original to the newer versions. In all of video games, there is one giant exception to this rule for me, and that exception is Super Smash Bros. Melee. Nintendo’s most iconic music has never sounded so good, and that includes the original games from which they were inspired, and in any game that has been released since Melee’s launch in 2001.

For years, I considered choosing a Smash Bros soundtrack as the soundtrack of the year (or generation) as cheating. “Of course it has the best soundtrack, just look at the back catalogue it has to pull from!”. Then two new Smash Bros. games were released, and despite having great soundtracks, they just never made the same impression on me as Melee. Why? They have far more tracks than Melee and choose from a far larger pool of classic, Nintendo tunes than Melee did. What was it about those soundtracks that wasn’t clicking with me? Or rather, what was it about Melee that was so great?

The Melee soundtrack versus the newer Smash Bros game soundtracks is a classic case of quality over quantity. Melee contains 29 stages, most of which only have one song assigned to each stage. At most, a stage will have two different songs attached to it. Compared to the 5 or more songs assignable to each stage in later Smash Bros games, the experience with Melee’s soundtrack is a bit more intimate. I’ve listened to every song in Melee countless times just from playing all of the stages, whereas in later Smash Bros games, there’s just too much there. I can’t really get attached to many of the newer songs for this reason.

But enough about the newer games. There is one primary reason why Melee’s soundtrack works as well as it does: the incredible new arrangements that breathe new life into Nintendo’s greatest hits. The orchestrated versions of Nintendo’s classic themes in Melee are, to this day, the best they’ve ever sounded. Being a competitive player, I’ve played thousands of hours of Melee. This also means I play on just a few stages most of the time: Battlefield, Final Destination, Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi’s Story, Fountain of Dreams and Dreamland 64. After close to 14 years of listening the same tracks over and over and over… I’m not tired of them. Not even close. In fact, I find myself listening to the beautiful Fountain of Dreams piece and the orchestrated Pokemon theme song that plays at Pokemon Stadium when I’m not playing Melee. The music in this game is that good.

Bringing it all together is the originally composed music for Melee. The opening movie music and character select music have become iconic Nintendo themes in their own right. The two stages not based on Nintendo games, Battlefield and Final Destination, contain incredible guitar and synth heavy pieces that add a big feel to the often serious matches that take place on these simple stages.

Melee is my most played game of all time, yet somehow, I’m not sick of its music. To me, that’s the reason why this is the soundtrack of the generation. In fact, that might be an understatement. Melee’s soundtrack has lasted for me over multiple generations, and not only don’t I intend to stop playing the game any time soon, but I don’t expect to stop loving the hell out of its soundtrack.

Extra fun story: the first video game soundtrack CD I’ve ever owned was the Smashing Live CD that was sent to every subscriber of Nintendo Power in 2001. It contained recordings of a live orchestrated performance of the Melee soundtrack. Oh how I wish I could have been there. The soundtrack is easy to find on youtube, so if you haven’t given it a listen, I highly recommend it if you’re a fan of Melee’s soundtrack, or just a fan of Nintendo music in general. Nintendo music and orchestras are the perfect combination.

Sample Tracks:

ALL OF THEM. The music in this game is so good. Pretty much every remix sounds better than the original game. But if I had to pick a couple…

Opening
Menu 1
Multi-Man Melee
Together We Ride! (Fire Emblem) (now I love Fire Emblem music)
Hyrule Temple (an awesome arrangement of a great song from Zelda II!)
Fountain of Dreams (So beautiful!)
Pokemon Stadium (I wish the actual Pokemon games used orchestrated music. This sounds incredible)
Yoshi's Island (THE BANJO)
Mute City (THAT GUITAR)
Corneria (Star Fox + Orchestra = Perfection)

Hirokazu And&#333;, Tadashi Ikegami, Sh&#333;go Sakai created these new arrangements to these classic tracks from great composers such as Koji Kondo and Junichi Masuda, amongst countless others. To them, I'd like to say: thank you for putting together the soundtrack of the generation, and one of the greatest collections of game music I've ever heard.

If you have time, check out my Top 10 Games of the Generation posts. It goes with this post like Nintendo music goes with orchestras ;)

Crayolan

So in general when choosing my picks I decided to value soundtracks which do something beyond just sounding awesome, like fill me with emotions, immerse me within the world, or fit so goddamn well within their context that you couldn't imagine any other song in their place. Of course my own preference in music is still the final determinant, but I'd say my top 6 all do this pretty well while the rest are just great to listen to.

1. Okami-A game which uses music to perfectly capture every moment throughout the game. It has sad songs, triumphant songs, catchy songs, epic battle themes, everything you can imagine. It also uses an amazing Japanese instrumentation which somehow manages to work for every situation. I know I listed a ton of songs for this game, but just picking out this many was difficult because every song in the game is a joy to listen to. I also tried to show off examples of all the different types of music in the game: battle themes, character themes, powerful, emotional songs, and just some of my favorites. Needless to say, Okami was an easy choice for #1.

Sacrificial Arrow
Giving Kushinada a Ride
Moon Cave
Ryoshima Coast
Sei-An City Aristocratic Quarter
Dragon Palace
Demon Lord Ninetails
Oki's Theme
Wep'keer
Reset (Thank You Version)
The Sun Rises

2. Shadow of the Colossus-Another example where I could probably put the entire soundtrack under "notable songs." Shadow of the Colossus probably has one of the best uses of an orchestra for a VG soundtrack ever, perfectly representing the feeling of fighting titans 20 or 30 times the size of the Wander. Even the songs that are not grand epic battle themes are all still fantastic and capture the empty, loneliness of the forbidden lands.

Prologue
Grotesque Figures
The Opened Way
A Violent Encounter
Revived Power
A Messenger From Behind
A Despair-Filled Farewell
Gatekeeper of the Castle Ruins
Demise of the Ritual

3. Metroid Prime-A game with an amazing soundtrack which immerses you in it's alien world like no other. From your first step onto Tallon IV, the music makes the place seem like a mysterious place full of life and you just want to explore every inch of it. Then when you step into Phendrana Drifts, you feel like you're in a frozen wasteland. When you enter the Phazon Mines, you feel that there's a sinister presence constantly around you. And when you encounter a boss, the music does a fantastic job of making them feel like the big, grand, powerful creatures they are. The intro to the Omega Pirate Battle does this especially well.

Tallon Overworld
Tallon Overworld 2
Inside the Crashed Space Pirate Frigate
Phendrana Drifts
Thardus Battle
Omega Pirate Battle
Meta Ridley Battle
Essence of Metroid Prime

4. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes-Basically the same as Metroid Prime, but this loses out because I feel MP1 does a slightly better job of immersing you in the world. Plus MP1 has Tallon Overworld 2 which is like the best thing ever.

Dark Samus Battle
Torvus Bog
Torvus Bog Hydrodynamo Station
Chykka Larva / Chykka Adult Battles
Sanctuary Fortress
Quadraxis Battle
Emperor Ing 1

5. Mother 3-A game with amazing music despite the technical limitations of the GBA. It has awesome battle tracks, it has funny, quirky tracks, and it has some tracks which really hit me hard and make me feel.

F-F-Fire!
Hard Rain
Passing Down Secrets
Unfounded Revenge
A Railway in Our Village!
Intense Guys
Mother!?
Pulling of the Needles
Volcano! Inferno!
Master Porky's Theme

6. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door-A game with a really unique soundfont which I can't exactly describe, but absolutely adore. It has kick-ass battle themes, character themes which are so good you'll always smile when they show up, and best of all, nails the themes of all the areas you'll be revisiting the most so they never get stale. It also has a few tracks which really get me feeling nostalgic, like The Crystal Stars. The more I gush about this soundtrack the harder it's becoming to put it this low.

Intro
Main Theme
Rogueport
Tutorial Battle
Battle Theme
Ruins of the Thousand Year Door
Rawk Hawk Battle
X-Naut Fortress
Bowser Battle
The Crystal Stars

7. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle-Well it's a Sonic game, so having a good soundtrack is a given. Adventure 2 wins out over Adventure 1 though because it actually gives each character their own music type, all of which I like except for whatever Tails gets. And Adventure 2 has more than 1 Knuckles Rap. Nothing feels-y or special beyond just being great to listen to from here on out though.

Live and Learn
E.G.G.M.A.N.
Escape From the City
Won't Stop, Just Go!
A Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (AKA the glorious Pumpkin Hill)
Unstable World
Highway in the Sky
Trespasser
I'm a Spy
For True Story

8. Sonic Adventure-Basically the same as SA2, just a bunch of awesome songs, mostly focused in the level themes in this game.

Unknown from M.E.
Theme of E-102g
Be Groovy
Twinkle Cart
Run Through
Red Hot Skull
Keeps Us On The Move
Sky Deck a Go! Go!
Crank the Heat Up!!
E-101B
Open Your Heart

9. Super Smash Bros Melee-A legendary game with an assortment of legendary remixes of already legendary songs. It also has some great original tunes and one of my favorite video game opening themes ever.

Opening
Menu 1
Kongo Jungle
Hyrule Temple
Fountain of Dreams
Corneria
Mute City
Fire Emblem
Multi-Man Melee 2
Trophy
Giga Bowser

10. Maplestory (circa 2005)-A not so good game with some stellar composers. Only being able to include the soundtrack as of 2005 this just barely scratched its way onto my list, but nowadays it'd easily rank near the top. If you're not impressed by these songs you will be when it comes to the gen 7 SOTG vote. Well, probably, depending on the year cut-off.

Anyway, as of 2005 Maplestory's soundtrack specialized in mystical, magical sounding songs which make you feel like you're really in a fantasy world with tons of stuff to discover (and way back when, there was tons of hidden stuff to discover).

Maplestory also does a good job with menacing, intimidating songs, which, back in the day when most players couldn't feasibly explore the entire world due to the difficulty of leveling, helped immensely in building up mystery and suspense surrounding the areas where these types of songs played and making people legitimately scared of the unknown. And because of the huge contrast between these types of pieces and the usual happy music in the game, these songs acted as a big flashing sign warning you when you wandered into an area you shouldn't be, which I think is an awesome idea and a great use of music in any game.

Also nostalgia.

Title
Above the Treetops
Missing You
White Christmas
Come With Me
Wolf Wood
Battlefield
Fantasia
High Enough
The Way Grotesque

Honorable Mentions:

x. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Midna's Lament
Blizzeta Battle 2

x. Psychonauts

Taking on Black Velvetopia's Worst
The Meat Circus

x. Super Monkey Ball 2

Under the Ocean
Clock Tower Factory

x. Pokemon Colosseum

Miror B.'s Retro Groove
Cipher Admin Battle

x. Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

Cipher Admin Battle
Citadark Isle

GhaleonQ

Boo! I have a concert tonight and I've traveled the last 2 weeks for work. So, write-ups will come tomorrow night, because I GENUINELY rethought what my soundtracks were, playing through the whole things, not just my most remembered tracks.

I'm incredibly surprised. I really enjoyed Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria's soundtrack. Mister Driller Ace/A ended up in my top 15, even though no one's even bothered posting the music to an English-language video website. Silent Hill 3 and Klonoa Of The Wind: That Which The World Wants To Forget didn't make my top 10, despite those games being in my top 20 and 10 of all-time. Game Boy Advance games didn't really survive a lot of cuts.

My rules were no remakes and 1 entry per series.

Honorable mentions: Klonoa Of The Wind: That Which The World Wants To Forget, Bayshore Midnight Maximum Tune 1, Giant Egg: Billy Hatcher's Great Adventure, Mister Driller Ace

01. Ico/Ico:
You Were There: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3uGF7QlhE
Heal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YCUjoBqpSc
The Gate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zKypqi3wo
02. Kingdom Hearts 1/Kingdom Hearts 1:
A Very Small Wish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwRBgKqJftw
Pirate's Jig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obWrJxyqLMQ
Dearly Beloved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExsP_nCOiJY
03. Final Fantasy XII/Final Fantasy XII:
Ashelia's Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIcI70Ve-f0
Boss Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySrSIrO_Cs8
Imperial City Of Archades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3vT3hp0U5w
04. Turnabout Defender 3/Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials And Tribulations:
Inquiry: Cornered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqK1jvM2gI
What Purity: Hazakura Temple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8XCGssXkAo
Reminiscence: Looking At Scenery From The Bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCRK2nV3VMI
05. Panzer Dragoon Orta/Panzer Dragoon Orta:
When The Day Breaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdrQWweAOOc
Altered Genos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t5yH9zJbZA
Pain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnJtUkfobgg
06. Chulip/Chulip:
Smooch Of Divine Protection, The Best That You Can Give: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xaviztf7AI
Agonizing Jizo Ridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsX59VpmK10
Earthen Middle School Alma Mater: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDqcz03En-w
07. The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Baton/The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker:
Staff Credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qshBAHTsZfU
Dragon Roost Island: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWPQQnXK6Hw
Sacred Shrine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZUc9eYiMtk
08. Metal Slug 5/Metal Slug 5:
Windy Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEtgIzuZPOU
Zoom Down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3O5ukfCnCI
Fierce Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdrKMkOpQ2E
09. Venus And Braves: The Witch, The Goddess, And The Prophecy Of Destruction/Venus And Braves:
Headquarters: http://www.waltzforariah.com/music/vandb
Waltz For Ariah (Long Version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Bxak_yjT8
Invisible Side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDgIHzAdVu0
10. R-Type Final/R-Type Final:
Dark Forest's Watchdog: http://youtu.be/ihhoBg4uwwU?t=24m23s
Twisted Ecosystem: Underwater: http://youtu.be/ihhoBg4uwwU?t=17m39s
Wherever: http://youtu.be/ihhoBg4uwwU?t=51m14s

TheOGB

Banned
Gen 6 is kind of a blur to me. I was really young then, not even in my teens until after the Xbox 360 came out, so most of my gaming was done on GBC/GBA, and I rarely ever ventured out of my bubble of mascot platformers and the like. When I did get to play a new console game it was at a friend's house or something, and it was usually a limited experience. Needless to say, I missed out on a lot of awesome shit from this era until much later. This will be immediately evident in my list, which mainly features some of the games I was most intimate with in that era, and a few I got acquainted with later.

1. Sonic Adventure
The first game of this era to come to mind, and a soundtrack I recall fondly. Between the two Sonic Adventure games, the first has a variety in its soundtrack that I really appreciate. It's a different kind of variety than Adventure 2's. Where Adventure 2 is known for its abundance of "cheesy buttrock" for 4 of the 6 characters' stages, Adventure hits a ton of different notes. It was jazzy, funky, rockin', menacing, sad, calm, upbeat, cool, wild, and groovy, and it all sound excellent, besides sounding like an actual adventure (instead of that cheesy buttrock action mess Adventure 2 was).
Mt. Red: A Symbol of Thrill ...for Red Mountain
Skydeck A Go Go! ...for Sky Deck
Bad Taste Aquarium ...for Hot Shelter
Leading Lights ...for Lost World
Theme of E-102 / Crazy Robo ...Boss: E-101
Other tracks: Unknown from M.E. - Theme of Knuckles / Red Hot Skull / Sand Hill / Welcome to Station Square! / And... Fish Hits! / Event: Sadness / Theme of Tikal / Fakery Way / Windy Hill

2. Sonic Adventure 2
That said about Adventure, I'll also admit that I'm totally down with cheesy buttrock with a side of jazz and rap (hell, Shadow the Hedgehog almost made it into my Honorable Mentions, lmao).
Every Knuckles stage (but especially Wild Canyon and Pumpkin Hill)
Bright Sound ...for Dry Lagoon (and probably every other Rouge stage)
Supporting Me ...for Biolizard
Unstable World ...for Crazy Gadget
For True Story ...Sonic vs. Shadow
Other tracks: Metal Harbor / Green Forest / White Jungle / Pyramid Cave

3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
Sweet, sweet orchestral goodness. Melee may be my least played Smash Bros. game, and the iterations afterwards contain most of my favorite tunes (sorry, quality over quantity peeps), but it does have that godly menu theme, and some of its remixes remain the best in the series.
Fountain of Dreams
Mute City
Fourside
Trophies
Giga Bowser

4. Jet Set Radio
Hideki Naganuma is a god. That is all.
Humming the Bassline
That's Enough
Sneakman
Grace & Glory
Other tracks: Super Brothers by Guitar Vader / Bout the City by Reps / Improvise by Jurassic 5 / Dragula by Rob Zombie / Recipe for the Perfect Afro by Feature Cast

5. Jet Set Radio Future
*see above*
Concept of Love
Fly Like a Butterfly
Teknopathetic
Let Mom Sleep (No Sleep Remix)
Other tracks: What About the Future by Richard Jacques / Statement of Intent by Bis / I'm Not a Model by Russell Simins

6. Tekken 5 / Dark Resurrection
I always liked to think of the Tekken 5 stages as the Act 1 versions and DR stages as the Act 2 versions because I was a Sonic loving dork. Seriously though, I consider this to be Tekken's musical high point--which isn't to say that the soundtracks afterwards have been bad, they just haven't topped this. (And this only barely tops Tekken 3's soundtrack for me)
Those Who Go to Heaven / Garden of the Tiger
Formless Like Water / Estrada de Estrela
Crimson Sunset / Call of the Inferno
Other tracks: Conclusion (Inferno, DR) / Gold Rush (Pirate's Cove, T5) / Antares (Cathedral, T5) / Moonlit Wilderness (T5) / Elegance in Violence (Pool Party, DR)

7. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
New Generation and 2nd Impact both sound really good, but I gotta give the edge to 3rd Strike because it has most my favorite versions of new themes.
Alex & Ken Stage ~ Jazzy NYC '99
Chun-Li Stage ~ China Vox
Ibuki Stage ~ Twilight
Akuma Stage ~ Killing Moon
Let's Get It On
Other tracks: Hugo Stage / Gill Stage / Makoto Stage / Dudley Stage / Elena Stage

8. Tekken Tag Tournament
My brother had this game for a while, but he didn't let me play his PS2 very often; when he did, it was mostly only Mad Maestro, and I had to look it up just now to remember it was all classical music. >.> Err, anyways, I'd watch him play sometimes or stand outside his room and listen in, and I remember coming to love the opening and school stage music. Many years later I dated a girl who was really into Tekken and got me much more into it than I had been, and through the HD release on PS3 I was reintroduced to those tracks and gained some new favorites (which I guess was also my reintroduction to Tekken 5/DR).
Opening
School
Ogre
Unknown
Staff Roll
Other tracks: Jin / Heihachi / Yoshimitsu / Xiaoyu / Hwoarang

9. Persona 4
I'll be honest, I've never actually played P4 (or any Persona game, or any SMT game), but I really enjoy Persona 4's soundtrack. I don't even remember how I initially came in contact with it!
Pursuing My True Self
The Poem for Everyone's Souls
Electronica in Velvet Room
(though the songs in the archive were the first to spring to mind)

10. PaRappa the Rapper 2
I can't help but love how funky, outrageous and charming these songs are. *shrugs*
Toasty Buns
BIG
Sista Moosesha
Noodles Can&#8217;t Be Beat
Mini Game
Say I Gotta Believe! (Funkyboard Remix)

Honorable Mentions:
x. Sonic Advance trilogy and Sonic Battle (my suggestions are in the archive)
x. Crash Twinsanity - Ant Agony / Henchmania
x. Rayman 2 Revolution - The Walk of Life / Final Battle
x. Rayman 3 Hoodlum Havoc - Land of the Livid Dead / Reflux the Knaaren
x. Metal Gear Solid 3 - Snake Eater / Battle in the Base
x. Street Fighter EX3 - Coldman Rosso / Indra Bridge of Ta So Ga Re

-------------------------------

WHEW, done!

Astral Dog

This thread almost destroys my poor mobile browser soo here is a brief list:
1) Metroid Prime, i choose this just because how unique it really is, Phendrana Drifts, Tallon IV, Chozo Ruins, its a masterpiece that fits Metroid on every level.
2)Zelda Wind Waker One of my favorite Zelda soundtracks, and the last truly great one, console wise, the soundtrack makes the world of Wind Waker.
3)Silent Hill 2 (and 3) Silent Hill soundtracks are always amazing, and these two are among, if not the very best, the theme of Laura is easily one of the most memorable videogame themes.
4)Resident Evil 4 (Zero, REmake too) the Resident Evil games may not have the amount of good tracks other games have, but what RE has is damn good, RE4 is just an amazing soundtrack for the series, special mention to the save theme.
5)Metal Gear Solid 3 (and 2) MGS games always have high quality music, and MGS3 is no exception.
6) FFX a classic soundtrack and one of the best in the FF series.
7) Castlevania Aria of Sorrow well overall all the Castlevania games had great music on PS2/GBA.
8) Devil May Cry, along DMC 3 invented and reinvented a new genre with rock music, and masterful orchestral scores.
9) Okami, for its final boss theme
10) Kingdom Hearts and KH2 for that characteristic Yoko Shimomura style

Sorry for being late on this; college life got waaaaayyyyyy too into the, uh, way.

Sadly I don't have the time for any write-ups, but I've included some brief comments

10. Katamari Damacy (Katamari on the Rocks will always be gaming's quirkiest masterpiece. Lonely Rolling Star's a great one too. Gotta champion some of the non-vocal ones as well: The Wonderful Stars Walk is Wonderful and Katamari Stars)
9. Tales of Symphonia (Probably the best fantasy adventure music I've ever heard, including the likes of Old Familiar Scent of Iselia, both versions of Lloyd's theme, Last Battle ~Will~, Beat The Angel...list goes on.)
8. Animal Crossing (GOAT Title Screen? 8 AM, 1 PM, 6 PM, and 8 PM consist of the best hourly themes. Can't go wrong with the nostalgic Rainy Day)
7. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (Believe it or not, this was the very first game I've ever cried at. Why? Because We're Counting on You, Mario! Rougeport and X-Naut Fortress are also huge winners in a superb soundtrack)
6. Metroid Prime (Best sci-fi music ever? Menu Theme, Phendrana Drifts, Sunken Frigate, and Tallon Overworld are masterpieces.)
5. Kirby Air Ride (God damn. Just listen to how Fantasy Meadows, Celestial Valley, Frozen Hillside, and Magma Flows channel a level of fantasy unknown to Kirby. Sky, too. City Trial borrows music from the Japanese version of the anime, and you wouldn't believe how well it fits.)
4. Kingdom Hearts (The game has not aged well in the slightest, but fuck me if the soundtrack isn't incredible. Yoko Shimomura captures the essence of Disney to a tee, be it Destiny's Force, Gummi Ship 1, Neverland Sky, Traverse Town, or Scherzo Di Notte)
3. Shadow of the Colossus (What can I say? A tragic, awe-inspiring masterpiece in every track. To the Ancient Land is beyond words, and A Despair-Filled Farewell is my personal favorite battle track).
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee (I personally prefer the arrangement museum collection of Brawl/4, but Melee still has two of the series' best arrangements in Mother 2/Pollyanna and Fountain of Dreams. Both Menu 1 and 2 are classic original pieces as well)
1. Mother 3 ("Strange. Funny. Heartrending." Shogo Sakai's soundtrack is as hilarious (War of the Words)as it is heartbreaking (Long Shadow). And heartwarming (Gentle Rain). And badass (Natural Killer Cyborg). And heartbreaking again (Mother 3 Love Theme/Name These Children). This is the best soundtrack of the 6th generation)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You have less than 3 hours left.

Hell what am I talking about, I have less than three hours left to finish my writeup. :x

1. Katamari Damacy [x]
2. Metroid Prime [x]
3. Skies of Arcadia [x]
4. Shadow of the Colossus [x]
5. Final Fantasy X [x]
6. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker [x]
7. Kingdom Hearts [x]
8. We Love Katamari [x]
9. Persona 3 [x]
10. Super Mario Sunshine [x]

Rutger

Banned
I did not learn my lesson with the Soundtrack of 2015 voting. I even knew about this from the first day it was open too. D:
Not much time left, let's see if I can figure this out. I think I'll have to go with short descriptions.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
The first place choice actually wasn't difficult for me to make at all. Wind Waker is one of my favorite Zelda games. It was the first 3D Zelda game I played, and while it has its problems, I still love the game very much. The soundtrack is just as charming as the rest of the game, Wind Waker would not have been the same game without this soundtrack.
The title screenOutset island
The Great Sea
Dragon Roost Island
Hyrule Castle
Molgera battle
The Legendary Hero
Staff Roll

2. Digital Devil Saga 1
Some of Shoji Meguro best work can be found in this game imo. The chill environment themes and the energetic battle themes stood out to me from the moment I first started playing the game.
Muladhara
Svadhisthana
Manipura
Sahasrara
Hunting
Big Battle
Hunting - Comrades

3. Guilty Gear Isuka
Not exactly the best Guilty Gear game, but it has one of the best soundtracks in a fighting game.
Sheep Will Sleep(If You Become Fatigued)
Riches In Me
Drumhead Pulsation
The Irony of Chaste
Lady Fascination
Push a Bush
The Cat Attached to the Rust

4. Okami
It's a game with a wonderful artstyle and the perfect music to go with it.
Ryoshima Coast
Wep'keer
The Sun Rises

5. Metroid Prime 2
This is my favorite Metroid game actually. I like the music a little more than Prime 1's for the same reason I like the game more, it's because of the dread in the air everywhere I go.
Title Theme
Menu Select theme
Temple Grounds
Torvus Bog
Sanctuary Fortress
Dark Samus Battle

6. Metroid Prime 1
Still a great soundtrack though, and a great way to start the Prime series.
Title Theme
Menu Select theme
Tallon Overworld Depths
Phendrana Drifts
Meta Ridley

7. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
I'm a big Fire Emblem fan, and FE9/10 have some of my favorite music in the series. This was the first time the FE series was on a console that can do more than just chiptunes, so they took advantage of it with a style that fits perfectly with the series.
With Us
Against the Black Knight
Vow
Lion King Caineghis
Fire Emblem Theme

8. Guilty Gear XX
More hard rock from Guilty Gear, not much else to say.
Holy Orders
Suck A Sage
Momentary Life
Haven't you Got Eye in Your Head?
The Midnight Carnival
Still In The Dark(Okay, it's actually a GGX song, but it's also on GGXX games!)

9. Persona 4
Shoji Meguro decided to go for a pop style with P3 that works nicely with the high school setting. I personally prefer what he did in P4 more though.
Pursuing My True Self
I'll Face Myself
I'll Face Myself - Battle
Mist
The Almighty
The Genesis

10. Final Fantasy XII
A Final Fantasy without Nobuo Uematsu sounded crazy at first, but the end result gave us a soundtrack that helps give Ivalice a lot of its personality.
The Final Fantasy Theme
Boss Battle
Giza Planes
Esper Battle

Honorable Mention
The Mega Man Zero series
The MMZ games are some of my favorite in the MM series. Alone, no game was enough to make it on my list, but I still want to mentions some songs from all four games.
Departure (MMZ2)
Neo Arcadia (MMZ)
Theme of Zero (many games)
Prismatic (MMZ3)
Cannon Ball (MMZ3)
Falling Down (MMZ4)
Esperanto (MMZ4)

Boo! I have a concert tonight and I've traveled the last 2 weeks for work. So, write-ups will come tomorrow night, because I GENUINELY rethought what my soundtracks were, playing through the whole things, not just my most remembered tracks.

I'm incredibly surprised. I really enjoyed Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria's soundtrack. Mister Driller Ace/A ended up in my top 15, even though no one's even bothered posting the music to an English-language video website. Silent Hill 3 and Klonoa Of The Wind: That Which The World Wants To Forget didn't make my top 10, despite those games being in my top 20 and 10 of all-time. Game Boy Advance games didn't really survive a lot of cuts.

My rules were no remakes and 1 entry per series.

Honorable mentions: Klonoa Of The Wind: That Which The World Wants To Forget, Bayshore Midnight Maximum Tune 1, Giant Egg: Billy Hatcher's Great Adventure, Mister Driller Ace

01. Ico/Ico:
You Were There: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3uGF7QlhE
Heal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YCUjoBqpSc
The Gate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zKypqi3wo
02. Kingdom Hearts 1/Kingdom Hearts 1:
A Very Small Wish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwRBgKqJftw
Pirate's Jig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obWrJxyqLMQ
Dearly Beloved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExsP_nCOiJY
03. Final Fantasy XII/Final Fantasy XII:
Ashelia's Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIcI70Ve-f0
Boss Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySrSIrO_Cs8
Imperial City Of Archades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3vT3hp0U5w
04. Turnabout Defender 3/Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials And Tribulations:
Inquiry: Cornered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqK1jvM2gI
What Purity: Hazakura Temple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8XCGssXkAo
Reminiscence: Looking At Scenery From The Bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCRK2nV3VMI
05. Panzer Dragoon Orta/Panzer Dragoon Orta:
When The Day Breaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdrQWweAOOc
Altered Genos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t5yH9zJbZA
Pain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnJtUkfobgg
06. Chulip/Chulip:
Smooch Of Divine Protection, The Best That You Can Give: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xaviztf7AI
Agonizing Jizo Ridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsX59VpmK10
Earthen Middle School Alma Mater: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDqcz03En-w
07. The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Baton/The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker:
Staff Credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qshBAHTsZfU
Dragon Roost Island: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWPQQnXK6Hw
Sacred Shrine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZUc9eYiMtk
08. Metal Slug 5/Metal Slug 5:
Windy Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEtgIzuZPOU
Zoom Down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3O5ukfCnCI
Fierce Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdrKMkOpQ2E
09. Venus And Braves: The Witch, The Goddess, And The Prophecy Of Destruction/Venus And Braves:
Headquarters: http://www.waltzforariah.com/music/vandb
Waltz For Ariah (Long Version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Bxak_yjT8
Invisible Side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDgIHzAdVu0

10. R-Type Final/R-Type Final:
Dark Forest's Watchdog: http://youtu.be/ihhoBg4uwwU?t=24m23s
Twisted Ecosystem: Underwater: http://youtu.be/ihhoBg4uwwU?t=17m39s
Wherever: http://youtu.be/ihhoBg4uwwU?t=51m14s

Venus and Braves...that makes two mentions(?) Such a cruel thing, this wonderous generation of music, cuz that one deserved more slots.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I’ll apologize for my post being pretty short but I have a tooooon of stuff to take care of this weekend since a bunch of stuff cropped up unexpectedly. Been tabulating the results every day with some help, so it’s not like it’s going to take a ton of time to tabulate the results this time around! I was originally going to do best arrangement albums but I don’t have time to look for the tracks for them. Just know that I think the Piano Collections: Final Fantasy X album is the best piano album that SE has ever produced. The Genso Suikoden III Music Collection is outstanding (and so are the Celtic albums and the Hiroyuki Namba albums!). And the Mega Man Zero arranged albums did justice to the original pieces, period. Persona 4 Reincarnation is pretty cool, too.

1. Shadow Hearts

7ebqYPr.jpg

It was very difficult choosing between this and Shadow Hearts II, but I decided to go with my heart and pick this one. I think it’s probably because this does some interesting stuff with horror elements in an RPG and it’s a genuinely cohesive and thoughtful collaboration between multiple composers including Yoshitaka Hirota (see below) and veteran Yasunori Mitsuda (in fact, it hasn’t been since Chrono Cross’s Lost Child of Time that we’ve heard him tackle something even remotely like this and that was just a cover of an Uematsu theme from Chrono Trigger). But I remember being especially enamoured with this soundtrack as a teenager, even to the point of keeping saves before certain pieces so I could listen to them before I even entertained the notion of importing the soundtrack. I realize that I’m being pretty personal with this one, but one of the primary reasons I’m picking it is because it’s so personal to me, and because it was much different from a lot of what I’d heard before (like, think of me being 12-13 without a lot of income and the only soundtracks I’d ever imported up to that point were Squaresoft soundtracks and most of the games I’d played were rented or borrowed, so it was only natural that I’d feel that this was different).

It’s not often we get a lot of horror RPGs around here. I genuinely appreciated the darker tone of the soundtrack overall and its unabashed lack of reluctance to sound even remotely like a survival horror game. In fact, those pieces are the ones that stand out the most to me on the entire soundtrack and I genuinely love those pieces even though they can be one-note. The cutscene theme, Continental Express ~ Wind Which Blows From the Dark I, has some great bass and ambience earlier on before breaking down with guitars. Meanwhile its counterpart, the dungeon theme Continental Express ~ Wind Which Blows From the Dark II is more focused on blending percussion and ambience in a train full of dead people, while climaxing with strings and cymbals.

Almost everyone I know who’s listened to the Shadow Hearts soundtrack seems to enjoy Plains ~ Sphere –qu-. It’s more atmospheric than anything else and it’s a nice, relaxing blend of different synths with Chinese instrumentation. It’s very representative of the game to me, or at least the first half of the game to me. It isn’t completely overt, but it’s a very subtle theme, and a lot of the better themes on the soundtrack itself are very subtle. Even some event themes like Daily Life I ~ Coffee with Bullet have a great bassline, dual guitar interludes, and electric piano to sound soothing enough. Anger ~ Much Hatred Still Rankles may not be one of the better motivational themes on the soundtrack, but the bass, percussion, and that great bell that appears halfway through can keep the player going (especially the portion where the beat drops and the bass is the only thing there). Alice’s Theme is used throughout the series, but it got its start here with orgel and strings. It’s a fair composition and it even fits decently in a dungeon later on in the game. Birth ~ Steal Soul – Tanjou is essentially Yuri’s theme, and it’s a main fixture in the series to some extent (in fact, this theme gets arranged in the next game). I like the piano introduction, but I think the SH2 version of it is much better.

The dungeon themes are very creative. Zhaoyang Village ~ Destruction -Noiz of Fangs blends a lot of sounds that would be in survival horror (like a lot of the distortion and “breathing distortion”, and the percussion (including the harder percussion), with more rhythmic instruments like the piano and the erhu to make it sound like it came from an RPG. Fear ~ Angel Heart is one of my favourite themes of the entire generation, too. It sounds more rhythmic than your average horror theme (in fact, in some ways, it sounds more traditional), but I love the string plucking after the introduction and the harsher strings themselves. It’s one of the themes I think of when I think of the Shadow Hearts series in a nutshell, and while I like the entire series overall, it’s a small disappointment that it shed much of its horror roots so the only things close to this that we get in later entries are standard dungeon themes used for most dungeons in the games. The use of Anxiety ~ Someone’s Table in the first Shadow Hearts is kind of what I mean. It’s used for a few different optional dungeons, but it’s still frightening enough not because of its synth string use, but because of the piano portion halfway through and its slight distortion. Temple Ruins ~ Death –Zombie Party- opens with distorted synth voices and carries on with ambience to create tension, and my favourite part has to be the percussion on that track. It makes the whole thing very catchy. Kuihai Tower ~ Misfortune –Psycho Temple- is a wonderful cap to the entire China chapter in the game. It blends synth and different types of instrumentation for a climactic end.

The second half of the game has an adequate share of dungeon themes. Bistritz ~ Dirty Nails is very atmospheric, and relies a lot more on sound effects and voices than anything else. I appreciate this theme a lot, actually. I like it a lot more than I should, mostly because it’s “different”. Graveyard ~ Graveyard Moon isn’t necessarily a dungeon theme (it’s actually an area theme with monsters to fight), but what I like the most about it is the piano, string pulling, and distortion portions. It’s more engaging than the traditional Halloween sounds at the beginning of the track. Yasunori Mitsuda’s arguably best contribution to the soundtrack, Blue Castle ~ Coffin Fetish is a string and piano-based dungeon melody, which isn’t necessarily completely drenched in horror elements like Hirota’s work is, but it’s still catchy enough to be very reflective of a horror RPG genre (hell, you can even hear his influence halfway through with the bass portion). Murderer’s Mansion ~ Ripper Ripper is an extreme contrast to Coffin Fetish, incorporating a ton of distortion, a skipping record of all things, cymbals, synth, staccato, and strings. And the dungeon is a friggin’ well-lit mansion. It works in out-of-context, and in-context after reading around the dungeon a bit, but I think the dissonance is just funny. Main Theme Beat Arrange ~ ICARO Beated Ver is a funky penultimate dungeon theme, and interesting take on ICARO, the main theme of the entire series. It has some nice electric piano and bass, but it has an awesome percussion breakdown before it loops, which is my favourite bit. Star Shape (a decent mellow piano and synth-based theme) and Middle of Nowhere (aw yeah that organ sounds super-cool when it’s put together with some synth vocals at the beginning, and the percussion is dope as hell) are two of the three final dungeon themes, and they’re very fitting to round off the soundtrack.

Shadow Hearts also does a decent job with its town themes. Themes like Fengtian ~ Heaven –Kunyang Kungyang- and Dalian ~ Sea –Highnoon Fish- are adequate for the Asia portion of the game, and they’re catchy enough to listen to out-of-context. Smuggler’s Boat has an extra bassline and some nice piano backing to carry it together. Map of China ~ Blow up is the first version of the map theme, and I generally like this one better because it’s a better mix and includes more percussion and cohesive Asian instrumentation. It fits the mood of the game slightly better than the second map theme.

The second portion of the game opens up with Map of Europe ~ Atmosphere –Blow Up-, the second map theme. It starts with some Spanish guitar, and the main melody is filled with some distortion, some percussion, and is generally more toned-down than its Chinese counterpart. I don’t think I latched onto this theme as much as a teenager, and as an adult, I don’t think I do now. It’s all right, but I like the former theme a lot better. The first European town you visit is Prague ~ CITY. I like this theme just because of the funk guitar and organs, which sounds absolutely nothing like a European town before 1918 at all! It’s catchy as hell, though. Rouen ~ But-Dad-Dead-Bed is okay. Looking back on it, I think I was in love with it as a kid, but as an adult, I just think it’s an okay atmospheric theme. London ~ Vitamin Metropolis sounds too funky and silly to even… I don’t even know. It’s supposed to be incredibly reflective of a lot of the “street rats”, though, since that’s what the story revolved around in that area. So in that case, it works fairly well. It’s one of the more uplifting tracks on the soundtrack, which is interesting in itself. Mystery ~ Callback from Jesus is a theme that we’ve seen before, and it’ll appear again in the series, but it’s a nice thing that ties the entire series together. I personally like the SH2 version of it, but this is good enough compositionally, particularly after the introduction.

Battle in China ~ Brain Hopper is a fairly unique battle theme, and I don’t like it that much in-context. It’s paced pretty slowly, but instrumentally, it’s really neat. It has distortion, vocals, great Asian-style percussion, and a wonderful bassline. I used to hate it as a teenager, but now I’ve come to really enjoy it. Its inverse, Desperation in China ~ Ghosts Jogging, is super-frantic and I like it a ton when the backing drops and leaves the “alarm sound” ringing without it. Midboss I ~ China Ogre encapsulates the instrumentation used in this part of the soundtrack, and it’s a better theme than the standard battle theme. If I remember correctly, Yasunori Mitsuda composed this theme, and it shows. You can definitely hear a lot of what he’d do compositionally with a theme like this and it turned out pretty well! Its flipside, Midboss Berserk ~ Meltdown, is… pretty crazy. It has great percussion, though.

The second portion of the game has a lot of battle themes I like a lot. Battle in Europe ~ NDE / Near Death Experience is a super-catchy battle theme and I like it a lot for its percussion and vocal melodies. The best bit is when the theme breaks down halfway, and the most striking portion is the little breaks in between the melody. This probably isn’t even the best version of the theme (this version is, off of the Shadow Hearts Arranged album; even the prototype of the theme is pretty cool). This theme is good enough to have its prototype put on special album! I don’t really like its flipside berserk theme Desperation in Europe ~ SSC/Special Short Cuts that much, though. It’s the one I’ve heard the most, but it’s the one I like the least. Grim Reaper Battle ~ The Thorn of Mind is a very good effort by Hirota in terms of trying to fit horror elements in an RPG battle theme with lower-range instrumentation and composition, a lot of percussion, and some distortion. It comes out pretty good. Grim Reaper Berserk ~ Reckless is one of the better flipside berserk themes since it’s more rhythmic and the main synth is really catchy. Midboss II ~ Demon’s Gig is the better boss theme on the soundtrack. It has a good intro that hooks you in, organ, great percussion, nice synth vocals, and distorted strings to round it up before the loop. It’s very enjoyable and it’s a bit sad you don’t get to hear it enough! Midboss Desperation II ~ Sicking Fucking has a hilarious title, and to this day I don’t know what to think of it other than I think it’s great that includes the intro to the Midboss II theme.

If there’s one theme I hear a lot of people who didn’t play Shadow Hearts talk about, its Imbroglio. It’s awesome. It’s too bad that the final boss is a joke (well, I thought it was a joke) because you don’t get to hear much of it in-game, but it completely shines after the hard bell intro. The organ, tambourine, and strings portion with some of the bells in the second portion of the theme really make it shine. I just think it’s amazing that out of everything that makes a final boss theme shine, instead of using electric guitars or vocals, they choose a friggin’ bell of all things. Even the Final Boss Desperation ~ Bate Me Bate Me theme uses a friggin’ bell. At least they know what brought us all to the table!

The game closes off with one of the better vocal themes of the generation, Shadow Hearts. While it isn’t as interesting as Shadow Hearts: From the New World’s SPREAD MY WINGS, it’s soothing enough to accompany the imagery shown during the credits theme. I love the instrumentation, and the vocalist’s diction and the overall mixing make the theme an excellent end to the game.

I realize that this is a controversial decision to make it my number one, but Yoshitaka Hirota’s work that generation made a tremendous impact on me. Looking back on it, it’s the soundtrack that I appreciate the most for opening my eyes to other forms of VGM and even other genres. It showed me what we could actually do with RPG music instead of relying on traditionalism. I genuinely miss Hirota’s compositions and I hope that he returns in some capacity to composition instead of arrangement and performance. Otherwise, I’ll keep waiting.​

2. Digital Devil Saga

j8Ipm9g.jpg

Digital Devil Saga, outside of Raidou Kuzunoha 2, is probably the best/most consistent solo Shoji Meguro soundtrack of the generation. Opinions on this soundtrack seem fairly polarized; if you don’t like it, you really don’t like it, and if you like it, you really like it. It definitely depends on how you view minimalistic rock or how much of a few genres you can take, I think. This soundtrack came to us as Shoji Meguro stopped using hardware synth so hearing him actually tap into his rock elements in a more realistic fashion created some interesting products. This was when we had realized that Meguro could create not just interesting rock, but also interesting techno, breakbeat, and jazzy compositions. I generally like this album just because it’s so consistent.

Slower, more acid jazz or mellow rock themes like Svadhisthana and Muladhara are general citations for some of the best tracks on the album, and they genuinely are very good tracks. Both tracks have nice electric piano backing (heck, a lot of the tracks have that), and are led by different stuff (like Muladhara is led off by mellow guitars and rugged basslines, as opposed to Svadhisthana being lead in a more mellow direction). Anahata is more drenched in classic rock and the magnification of a bassline. Hideout of the Chickens is one of the more stand-out tracks on the soundtrack. It draws from Meguro’s older works, and it’s very jazzy blended with rock in a coherent fashion. It’s very very catchy.

As you venture through the game, and the soundtrack itself, you’ll realize that many of the dungeons have two movement themes. Sometimes these themes aren’t that different, but in a lot of cases they are very different from each other in some manner (tempo, instrumentation, etc). It’s an interesting take on the “motif use” type of composition. Going from River of Samara then to River of Samara –The Second Movement- is strange. One is more chill, while the other has a stranger bpm by comparison. Man’s Tomb and Man’s Tomb –The Second Movement- is also another comparison of distinctly different instrumentation (and a funker beat) altogether! Spider’s String is a more sombre-sounding theme, while its counterpart Spider’s String –The Second Movement sounds more dire or something out of a spy film with a solo jazz guitar and a neat bassline.

DDS has several battle themes depending on certain circumstances, though some are simply minutely different. The Hunted (which, iirc, you had to grab off of Meguro’s site) and Hunting-Surprise Raid have different introductions (and I generally prefer Hunting-Surprise Raid, myself[/url]. Hunting – Comrades has a neat variation; it has some cool staccato bass which I barely ever ever hear in VGM and some neat snare drumming. It’s really good battle theme and it’s a pleasure to listen to, far more than the normal battle theme. Hunting – Rare Devil is a loftier piece where the guitar and synth have more focus than the bass. It’s similar to Hunting – Compulsion. I have to mention that the level up theme Karma is hilarious in how enthusiastic it is in terms of rock organ. It’s a good theme, but in practice, it makes me laugh just thinking about it.

The final boss theme, Hari-Hara is more melodic than a lot of the other battle themes on the soundtrack, counting a lot of the melody in from the town/environment/character themes, and the more rock-driven components of the battle theme after the introduction. It’s something better-listened-to out of context. Hari-Hara –The Second Movement- takes on the The Second Movements’ brand of being super-different from the original theme and it is fairly gorgeous. It has so many freaking time signatures, different instrumentation throughout, and its pacing is all over the place. The organ combined with the strings sounds great, then it moves into more guitar-based rhythms fusing with the strings. And the drums change their bpms throughout. It’s a fairly interesting final boss theme for the game it’s in, and having a nice blend of sounds being all over the place but making a cohesive piece at the same time sounds great.

So this was the soundtrack that opened me up a little more to Meguro. It’s very consistent and you hear a lot of what he’d wanted to compose for years in many of the themes at the beginning and at the end. I value the soundtrack because it’s so cohesive, and it’s the type of sound that I like Meguro concentrating on (other than Raidou 2).​

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Q1n9ZTu.jpg

I will come right out and say that I think this is the best Zelda soundtrack outside of my compliments to Skyward Sword&#8217;s soundtrack in 2011. There aren&#8217;t that many &#8220;dud&#8221; tracks (outside of arguably the cutscene tracks specifically catered to cutscene direction), so I&#8217;m happy to say that I&#8217;m generally fine with a lot of the tracks here. For some of the previous games, even some major tracks like some dungeon themes (Snowpeak, I&#8217;m looking at you) are fairly lackluster, but The Wind Waker&#8217;s fairly strong in that area. The bosses have their own unique boss theme this time around (an extension of what we had previously seen in Ocarina of Time with Volvagia/Dodongo having different themes than everyone else), and this is something that has been carried forward since then.

Instead of relying a lot on bombastic tracks or dramatic soundscapes, The Wind Waker instead relies on more woodwind (haha, get it) instruments to carry many of the themes that become the face of the game. That&#8217;s immediately apparent when we first hear The Legendary Hero, with strings and flutes, even though the strings carry the theme throughout. It&#8217;s one of the best pieces on the album and one of the better renditions of the original The Legend of Zelda theme in the series. The subtle influence of woodwind is also seen in Outset Island&#8217;s theme, where even though it sounds like it relies more on a synth orchestral sound, the reality of the matter is that it&#8217;s introducing you to the woodwind instrument&#8217;s influence over the entire soundtrack. It&#8217;s also a very humble-sounding piece and very enjoyable. Grandma&#8217;s Theme is super-gentle and carried by synth woodwind yet again.

It isn&#8217;t just woodwind that gets play, but more organic percussion instruments, too. You can easily hear that in The Forest of Outset Island, even if it&#8217;s a very monotonous piece. The battle theme doesn&#8217;t really sound that great on the soundtrack itself since it feels like it&#8217;s missing the extra notes from the hits that you&#8217;ll make on an enemy. It&#8217;s something that&#8217;s carried into Skyward Sword, so it&#8217;s nice to see its origins here.

Pirates is hilarious to me, just because tubas make me laugh, and it&#8217;s super-fitting for that pirate crew you&#8217;re collaborating with. It&#8217;s also a theme that doesn&#8217;t necessarily jive with conventional pirate music, so that makes me a little happy. Windfall Island skips over the general woodwind conventions and has other instruments carrying Kakariko Village&#8217;s theme instead (the woodwind&#8217;s in the background). It&#8217;s a neat remix of the theme, and if you&#8217;re not even thinking about it, you might not realize that it&#8217;s a remix itself. The Inside Forest Haven theme is a pretty adorable take on Saria&#8217;s Song but with a lot more percussion.

A few years ago, I had written a post about world maps, and I said something along the lines of, &#8220;We&#8217;re lucky that the music is decent. Imagine if The Wind Waker&#8217;s map theme sucked!&#8221; The Great Sea is a very dramatic theme, and it&#8217;s utterly triumphant in terms of the fact that it&#8217;s a map theme, and you start realizing that the game&#8217;s load times aren&#8217;t even apparent (which is a triumph in itself). The theme gets mixed with several arranges like Yacht Game (just with a different intro), The Great Sea is Cursed (very inverted and very cool), The Great Sea is Cursed (no sail) (which sounds more dire than the former theme since it doesn&#8217;t pick up), and the various battle themes. But Maritime Battle and Second Maritime Battle are completely different from the Great Sea theme, but still jive entirely well with the piece enough that it&#8217;s easy to come in and out of the themes cohesively and dynamically.

I have only met one person who hated the Dragon Roost Theme (I actually dated him), but otherwise everyone seems to love it. It&#8217;s so delightfully Peruvian, and I love its second portion before the loop since that&#8217;s what made the theme stand out to me in the first place.

The sage themes are interesting in that they&#8217;re so different from each other. Sage Laruto sounds graver (particularly because the instrumentation later on factors in), while Sage Fado sounds so&#8230; silly, even with its &#8220;tiniest violin fiddle in the world&#8221; playing in the second half. This plays into how Medli&#8217;s Awakening (with an excellent low-tempo take on the Dragon Roost theme) and Makar&#8217;s Awakening both sound.

I like that all of the dungeon themes are pretty good in some way, even though they call back to previous Zelda soundtracks in some fashion. While Dragon Roost Cavern is a bit one-note, Forbidden Woods is a lot more interesting as it relies on a lot more ambience and a little less monotony than the former. Tower of the Gods is where it probably picks up for a lot of people, since it involves synth vocals, synth strings, and a lot of ambience to complete its atmosphere and mysticism in general. It genuinely is one of the better dungeon themes on the entire soundtrack. Sealed Hyrule Castle is one of my favourite tracks, even though it&#8217;s just an inverted version of the Hyrule Castle theme. The inclusion of SFX makes the theme unique enough to enjoy in-context.

Wind Temple relies a lot on woodwind and similar instrumentation to what is used in the Forest Haven portions. Triangles and acoustic portions make the theme more rhythmic and more bearable to listen to above its woodwind backing. Earth Temple is a lot more tribal, using didgeridoos and more percussion while trying to remain subtle in-context. Both themes are absolutely perfect for their areas. Ganon&#8217;s Castle revisits a lot of the previous dungeons in terms of including motifs (Dragon Mountain Shrine, Forbidden Woods (this is where it picks up), Earth Temple (catchy as hell), Wind Temple (holy crap!)).

The boss themes are pretty good on this soundtrack, too! I usually think they&#8217;re pretty blasé in other games, but these are really great, with great instrumentation. Mini-Boss&#8217;s more orchestrated-like instruments are complemented very well by woodwind (even though its main hook&#8212;the bells&#8212;do an excellent job at hooking the player in). The second portion in the video adds on how it sounds when Link is attacking the enemy and that sort of dynamic is really neat. Both Gohma themes (First Half / Second Half) are super-catchy. Kalle Demos isn&#8217;t as catchy as Gohma&#8217;s theme to me, but it has some great distorted beats and percussion.

Gohdan has one of the more rhythmic themes out of most of the bosses, with some creative and completely different instrumentation than the other bosses overall, or even on the soundtrack alone. It&#8217;s just too bad that he&#8217;s easy enough to get killed before you can hear the best part of the track where it breaks down. Gohdan actually marks the point when the bosses become more rhythm&#8212;focused. Phantom Ganon is a nice mix of the regular Ganon fight theme and it&#8217;s nice to hear extended when you&#8217;re not using a bottle in the battle. Helmaroc King is surprisingly more rhythm driven than expected. Jalhalla is hilarious for good reason, and I get a kick out of the accordion more than anything else. Molgera is my favourite boss theme in the entire game. It has beatboxing, an anemic flute, bells, and some cool synth backing that grows on you. It&#8217;s so simple, but it&#8217;s so catchy.

It&#8217;s not until Ganon&#8217;s Castle that we reach yet another turning point in terms of the boss themes again. They are all distorted and weird and I think they&#8217;re legitimately among the best boss tracks just because of that. Molgera 2nd time really builds on the first theme and makes it even catchier with extra distortion. I love it. After that, I feel like the Ganon final battle themes don&#8217;t hold as much sway over me since I&#8217;m so used to the instrumentation in Ganon&#8217;s battles after following the series for so long. But I genuinely like Ganondorf Battle as a final climax. The faux vocals and percussion truly make that theme.

Listening to Farewell Hyrule King and Ending turns me into a baby so I&#8217;ll refrain from commentary. The Credits theme is one of the best, if not the best theme on the entire soundtrack, which is something we&#8217;d sampled at the title screen. The Celtic blend with woodwind, fiddles, and bagpipes makes this theme come alive and the percussion carries it all the way home. It&#8217;s legitimately the first thing I hear whenever I think of The Wind Waker and I don&#8217;t think I&#8217;m alone.

So&#8230; before Skyward Sword, The Wind Waker was my favourite Zelda soundtrack (and to be honest, I&#8217;m waffling between the soundtracks now). Every theme is built with purpose and all of the remixes are really nice. In nearly all regards, this soundtrack surpasses Ocarina of Time/Majora&#8217;s Mask and brings a heck of a lot new to the table that we see later on in other Zelda games. It may be one of the more unusual soundtracks we&#8217;ve heard in the series, but that&#8217;s what makes it special. It&#8217;s pretty weird, but it&#8217;s beautiful at the same time.​

4. Psyvariar 2

lsupvfK.jpg

Psyvariar 2 was an arcade game for me, but I had also played the Dreamcast version. I thought the music stood out far more than the game itself for many reasons. I like it more than Espgaluda&#8217;s soundtrack moreso because it blends piano and electronic music pretty well (probably better than E2). It&#8217;s also better than its predecessor simply because it&#8217;s more experimental than the first one which I felt to be safe.

Even the Opening Theme is different in terms of tone with vocals and piano to make it seem a little more ethereal. Though we move into the Select Screen theme with a jazzier and more upbeat track.

The Stage 1 shmup hook track, Weakboson~Gorge City focuses even more on the piano leading the way, even during beat drops. Adding vocals to make it sound more meaningful and more ethereal and some strings complements the piece very well. OMAL-4 is paced well, with more minimalist synth, but I feel like it loses its edge since it&#8217;s followed up by Earth. Earth is excellent! It&#8217;s my favourite track overall on the entire soundtrack even though it&#8217;s much different and more reflective of jazz piano and a neat bassline. Graviton arranges the original Psyvariar theme with dissonant piano to make a statement. The final stage theme, Eta is beautiful. The piano intro is gorgeous, and even as the beat drops, it comes back with some trance, and some Sega-like backing, some nice synth, and a beautiful piano mix. It&#8217;s also one of the better themes on the soundtrack, and it&#8217;s a nice way of encapsulating the entirety of Psyvariar 1 and 2&#8217;s music altogether.

Emagicker worked on the Boss #01 theme, which is drenched in DnB, even with the piano leading the way and synth appropriately backing it up. It isn&#8217;t that intense, but I feel like it still does its job properly in-context (even out of context it sounds very good). Boss #03 is a better boss theme for those looking for an amazing bassline and some great funk influences. The Final Boss theme is very nice, blending synth, great backing synth, and piano. It&#8217;s probably my favourite boss theme on the soundtrack and for good reason.

Psyvariar 2&#8217;s soundtrack is fairly interesting in terms of being a shooter soundtrack, and it&#8217;s far better than the original game&#8217;s soundtrack. Many of the pieces are nice to listen to out-of-context and it&#8217;s a more uplifting soundtrack overall with some creative experimentation.​

5. Espgaluda II

dvEWel4.jpg

This soundtrack is sooooo good. It&#8217;s one of my favourite shmup soundtracks ever, ever. Even just the select screen music, Fatidic, is in your face with some great bpm and some hot synth coming from multiple directions. Lots of droning bass is definitely appreciated. Stage 1&#8217;s theme, Mutiny~Fate is with the Girl, is a standard shmup hook theme, sounding uplifting at first, but then 25% of the way through, the beat drops and we get arpeggio synth carrying the main melody with distorted bass. Descend is the boss theme, and this one is pretty hit and miss for me. It has some great bpm after the intro, though. Azures ~ Incarnation of Life (Stage 2) is a nice piece with a neat intro with higher notes carrying the piece at first, and then the main melody takes over with lower-range synth, then cooling off with some isolated synth which lends some mood to the theme itself. It&#8217;s really nice. Deserted ~ Younger Brother and Elder Sister sounds very beautiful with its piano backing leading the way. Piano and synth usually go together very well, but it&#8217;s nice that the piano isn&#8217;t just overused and the synth ends up carrying the piece later on since it&#8217;s supposed to keep up as an uptempo shmup track. In the meantime, Aerial ~ Sadness Bathes in Dusk introduces some gritty jazz elements to the soundtrack and I appreciate this version far more than the updated 2010 version of the soundtrack.

Honestly, my favourite track on the entire soundtrack itself is Galuda ~ Achieving Perfection. It uses piano backing yet again to try to make the theme uplifting for the player. It sounds incredibly soothing and it&#8217;s nice to hear the piano lead the way with the synth being mixed well enough to accompany the piano on its journey. It&#8217;s absolutely gorgeous and one of my favourite themes in the entire generation alone.

Kujaku, the final boss theme, is different from a lot of the themes found on the soundtrack. After the intro that busts things up, the thicker synth has its own interlude before looping a little. I do think the stage themes are much better than the boss themes overall, though.

Espgaluda II&#8217;s soundtrack is much stronger than the first (which was already strong in the first place!). The trance is fantastic, and while the boss themes fall short, the numerous stage themes pick up the pieces enough for repeated listens.​

6. Xanadu Next

RND4UUs.jpg

Xanadu Next was released in English on the Nokia N-Gage. No one played that. It was also released in Japan on the PC, which is what this soundtrack is for). I think I said a few years ago on GAF that this particular era was not one of my favourites for Falcom&#8217;s sound samples (plus this was the time when we had a &#8220;new sound team&#8221;). There are some soundtracks that are really good (like this one), and then there are others that I think have decent tracks but are generally middle-of-the-road.

I think this one of the better the &#8220;new&#8221; sound team had done back then. It has some neat direction and nice keyboard work throughout. Xanadu Next&#8217;s soundtrack is motif-driven, so you&#8217;ll typically hear motifs of La Valse Pour Xanadu. This track was in the original Xanadu (and a bunch of Falcom Special Boxes, among other things), so it&#8217;s fairly fitting for it to lead off on Xanadu Next. This version of the theme is an orchestral take on the theme which is something we don&#8217;t hear a lot. Considering that Xanadu Next was a different take on Xanadu entirely, it makes sense that this is like that too. I like the last bit of the theme after the choral portion with more percussion since the mixing is well done. It finds itself in the deeply percussion-based Battle theme, the field (waltzy), and orgel-based event theme.

A lot of the setting themes are fairly enjoyable. The Treacherous Woods fuses synth woodwind with two electric guitars playing harmoniously and it sounds really damn good. I really enjoy the bit when the xylophone comes into play. This goes for Harlech, too, but that piece brings accordions and violins into play with some great harmonies. Bump in the Road does a lot of cool bombastic stuff, especially halfway through the piece before the loop. Clover Ruins has a very beautiful piano backing, then after the intro, we get some synth woodwind and impactful percussion. It&#8217;s somewhat reminiscent of what was done in some of the Kiseki soundtracks after Sora FC.

A lot of people don&#8217;t like White Lie in Black. Musically, it&#8217;s pretty good, but I guess I feel like the mixing could be a little better to make the vocals blend better with the rest of the music. The English diction takes away from the theme a little bit because the mixing doesn&#8217;t do as good a job blending the vocals with the rest of the music. The minimalistic instrumentation is very very good, otherwise.

Evildoer, the final battle theme, and The One are what people generally expect from Falcom&#8217;s sound team. The One blends organ work with hard-hitting percussion that&#8217;s synthesized very well in a complimentary fashion. Evildoer is&#8230; basically what you&#8217;d expect a final battle theme from Falcom to be like in that era (at present, they&#8217;re more intense), but the combination of synth, electric guitar riffs and a solo guitar breaking off into a main passage make for an enjoyable battle theme. I particularly enjoy the bit where the synth breaks off after the guitar&#8217;s solo venture since it&#8217;s genuinely some good synth and very rhythmic and catchy. Even Devil Advent has a lot of common with the Sora FC/SC games in terms of pacing and thematic use.

I think this album is fairly demonstrative of what Falcom can do without heavy reliance on rock elements. Outside of two tracks, rock is generally rejected in favour of bombastic composition, mood-enhancement themes, and mysticism. It works well in the confines in terms of Xanadu Next being a completely different take on Xanadu&#8217;s concept altogether and it was interesting to see what the &#8220;newer&#8221; Falcom team was capable of at the time.​

7. Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact

AsbqsiG.jpg

Had a tough time weighing between the two, but I ultimately felt like 2nd Impact&#8217;s soundtrack was better than 3rd Strike&#8217;s. Because I&#8217;m lacking for time, and I&#8217;m stupid and chose this soundtrack to write about last&#8230;

Bottoms Up is drenched in some hot saxophones and organs. It&#8217;s incredibly catchy and I don&#8217;t mind that it loops forever. Get on a Train is a hot DnB mix and you can&#8217;t go wrong with that for me. Jazzy NYC&#8217;s house mix is so reminiscent of the 1990s that it hurts. Sao Paulo is perfect for Sean and it blends in well with the stage. That bassline is hot.

I wish I could say more but the clock&#8217;s ticking. :/​

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
8. Katamari Damacy

Gs5D6Yv.jpg

Katamari Damacy is one of the more classic soundtracks of this generation, and it isn&#8217;t just because it&#8217;s as quirky as the game it&#8217;s attached to. There are so many people on this album and so many genres represented on this soundtrack that each track is pleasantly refreshing.

The lead theme on the soundtrack is Katamari on the Rocks, and it ties everything on the soundtrack together, and it&#8217;s a very strong and catchy track overall. To pull together many different genres and moods into one track is incredibly impressive.

The styles covering the soundtrack can range from pop, jazz, mimimalistic electronica, dance, whatever you want. You have the mellow in terms of The Moon and the Prince. Unique blends come in the form of Cherry Blossom Colour Season where violins blend with acoustic guitars, and vocals with children. You can&#8217;t help but to sing along, even though it&#8217;s incredibly eccentric. Wanda Wanda just sounds bizarre, but it fits the soundtrack&#8217;s quirkiness so cohesively that I can&#8217;t hate on it. Gin & Tonic & Red Red Roses is an awesome, catchy jazz piece and it&#8217;s genuinely my favourite theme on the soundtrack. Ado Mizumori&#8217;s vocals are so good on this track, it&#8217;s unbelievable. Que Sera Sera is just as good for the same reason.

Anyone can get into this soundtrack, even if they aren&#8217;t VGM nuts. Katamari Damacy&#8217;s soundtrack is that transcendent. It&#8217;s a collage of goodness from many parts of the music industry and it&#8217;s an essential listen for any VGM listener.​

9. Mother 3

qfUwKqk.jpg

It is a massive shame that we&#8217;ve never ever gotten a soundtrack release of Mother 3&#8217;s material and have had to rely on gamerips for years (at varying quality, too!). Mother 3&#8217;s soundtrack is one of the few GBA-native soundtracks (and by that, I mean I can listen to a gamerip of it no problem) that I like. As many of you know, Mother 3&#8217;s soundtrack is friggin massive. My own gamerip of it is over 250 tracks. It&#8217;s pretty ridiculous!

Many of the themes run on a motif of Mother 3&#8217;s theme (the Mother 3 Love theme), or motifs of previous themes in their string (ex: Mom&#8217;s Hometown, Going Alone), and even the battle themes play into this pattern by having one drier theme originally, and a more intense theme or arranged theme later on.

Other than that, for lack of time, I just have to talk about some of the tracks that stand out to me. Hard Rain has an excellent bassline that carries the whole thing. Homely Yado Inn is one of my favourite GBA tracks alone for the sake of a great bassline and sounding quite folksy, amplifying the current tone of the game at that time : just a simple town in a rainstorm with a jazzy track playing in the background (in fact, much later on Absolutely Filthy Apartments plays this exact role but with a different musical genre). Cumbersome Guys and its counterpart More Cumbersome Guys have an interesting beat progression (particularly the latter, dropping the beat momentarily). Dry Guys and Drier Guys are fun tracks that I like just because they&#8217;re silly and they include accordions. The faster beat progression in Drier Guys makes the track even better and it&#8217;s easier to keep up with in-game when trying to tap out beats, I feel. Anthem of Waste is a derivative of another theme and I think the percussion at the beginning makes the theme incredibly enjoyable.

Monkey&#8217;s Delivery Service is a catchier, yet more sombre version of the original village theme, and it&#8217;s accordion-backed which makes the theme incredibly catchy which contrasts with the mood of the piece overall. Even What&#8217;s Beyond the Tunnel?, which is supposed to be fairly one-note, gets some praise from me for cohesive instrumentation. Strong One and its counterpart Stronger One are drenched in percussion carrying the themes, but I love how incomplete some of the sound strings are, and those singular notes are really nice.

Sunflowers and Illusions is supposed to play to the player&#8217;s feelings and not only does the imagery in that particularly moment enhance it, the theme is sombre and paced well enough to bring tears to the player&#8217;s eyes, even right down to its progression into Mother?!. Pink Shell seems to have to evoke similar feelings but I can only think of the theme as incredibly beautiful.

Natural Killer Cyborg is the one that everyone screams &#8220;Mega Man!&#8221; at. Or ZZ Top. Whatever you prefer. It&#8217;s a genuinely good piece and catchy enough to transcend genres. Meanwhile Battle Against the Masked Man channels its inner Giygas by encapsulating a lot of synth elements and different moods while it&#8217;s backed by a simple bassline. It&#8217;s a very interesting theme and does its job properly.

Believe you-me, I would&#8217;ve liked to have taken the chance to talk about how each theme plays its role into the story because every single one is just that important, but time constraints simply do not permit this. I love this soundtrack, though. It&#8217;s one of the more interesting ones of the generation because almost every single theme is purposeful and carefully crafted enough in terms of playing a role in the narrative and having significance in its battle system. One day I might do it.​

10. Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune

7JWWjeZ.jpg

This was still the time when I thought Yuzo Koshiro could do no wrong (*pushes Time & Eternity&#8217;s soundtrack into the waste bin*). Koshiro&#8217;s style meshes incredibly well with racing games and these soundtracks themselves click very well. The Maximum Tune game I&#8217;d recently played was MT2 since we have this small makeshift arcade in a movie theatre nearby. I like MT4&#8217;s soundtrack the most out of the entire series (since it shifted gears a little in terms of focus even though it didn&#8217;t focus that much on trance anymore), but I think MT1 or MT3 might be my next favourite. (The first disc in the Maximum Tune 2 OST is the music for MT1.)

Racers aren&#8217;t typically a genre I main because I just can&#8217;t get past my motion sickness anymore, but they usually have some excellent soundtracks. A soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro with trance elements sounds like something I want to listen to. There are an assortment of themes that I genuinely like, such as Stream of Tears, Maximum Acceleration, and Feel the Passion. All of the themes generally fit the same pattern of bassline, beat, main portion of the song with two melodies interweaving through each other. But that&#8217;s trance, my friend.

Nothing Can Live Forever has nice vocals and is mixed well enough that neither the instrumentation nor the vocals overtake each other too much. Vocal trance is usually pretty cool because the melodies are generally driven by the vocals than the instrumentation, and Nothing Can Live Forever shows that Yuzo Koshiro is more than a competent trance engineer. In fact, the entire soundtrack does, and we all know how Koshiro genuinely feels about this genre of music and club tracks in general (hint: He loves &#8216;em).

I think GhaleonQ can elaborate on this soundtrack, or MT2&#8217;s soundtrack, better than I ever could.​

Honourable Mentions: (I'll write stuff in later)

x. Border Down ; Not the most perfect shmup soundtrack but very adequate tuneage on the Dreamcast. Standout tracks: Girl of Power, Bye-Bye Mars -take.II-, Crushing Blow

x. Genso Suikoden IV: Yeah that&#8217;s right I picked 4 over the other ones. I think it&#8217;s one of the better soundtracks in the series since it&#8217;s more consistent than GS2&#8217;s, even if GS2 had better standout tracks than this one. Standout Tracks: La Mer (another one of my fave songs from that gen), Finale: Remembering the Deep Blue Sea, Oh, Sparkling Sea! Oh, Sky!

x. Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon ; randomkid likes this one, and for good reason. It's jazzy as heck and one of the more cohesive Meguro soundtracks of the gen.

x. Gitaroo Man ; Because GAF member pietepiet would kill me if I didn&#8217;t put it on here.

x. Guilty Gear XX ;

x. Initial D Arcade Stage ;

x. Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi ;

x. Melty Blood Actress Again ;

x. Sonic Adventure; This is a video game that some would say destroyed Sonic for them (if they didn&#8217;t play Sonic 3D Blast), and others would say that made them interested in Sonic (depending on the age group, and whether or not the person had a Dreamcast or a GameCube at the time). Sonic Adventure had another distinguishing feature: its soundscape was different to a lot of people who had been with the series since its initial outings on the Genesis/Mega Drive. Depending on how you looked at it, you could say that Sonic Adventure made or broke Sonic music for you, as its soundscape would go on to influence Sonic games right up to present day. I&#8217;m generally somewhere in the middle. I&#8217;m not super-fond of the Adventure games (or a lot of the Sonic games in this era, really). I have to admit that it took me a while to adjust to the Adventure soundscape. In fact, I think I liked Sonic Adventure 2&#8217;s soundtrack more even up to maybe 2013 until Sciz showed me the light. Sonic Adventure&#8217;s soundtrack has more variety, and it&#8217;s a fair representation of what Sega would end up doing with its soundscape post-Dreamcast in general.

x. Shadow of the Colossus ;

x. Evergrace ;

Some Favourite Songs

The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts 2)

Note: Reposted from 2011:
This isn&#8217;t necessarily the theme I&#8217;d pick to showcase Yoshitaka Hirota&#8217;s talent. In my opinion, Hirota helped to make the Shadow Hearts series what it was by defining not only its soundscape, but also helping to define its tone, mood and atmosphere (with a little bit of help from Mitsuda every now and then). I think he&#8217;s a little underrated, to be honest with you.

The acoustic intro coupled with the orgel is absolutely beautiful, yet grave. A single sombre voice chanting joins in, but doesn&#8217;t overshadow the instruments. Percussion, strings and a bass (bass makes me melt) join, in slowly building into this sombre melody. The piece slowly builds and builds into its climax when the singing takes over. Then you have a moment of rest&#8230; and then&#8230; another buildup, and the violin takes over with a beautiful sombre melody accompanied by the guitars and percussion. We are treated to a rather anti-climactic ending, but I think it&#8217;s handled well with the acoustic plucking, percussion and chanting.

Hirota&#8217;s music isn&#8217;t usually calm like this, so it&#8217;s a very nice change of pace.

Rune of Punishment ~Meeting the Cursed Rune~ (Rhapsodia/Suikoden Tactics)

Note: Reposted from 2011:
This is one of my favourite Genso Suikoden themes ever. I never would have thought that Genso Suikoden IV would have given me one of my favourite tracks in the series. But here we are. I&#8217;ve said it before, but I&#8217;ll repeat myself here. While Miki Higashino was no longer at the helm for Genso Suikoden&#8217;s soundscape, Norikazu Miura and Masahiko Kimura picked up the slack starting with Genso Suikoden IV&#8217;s soundtrack (well, I didn&#8217;t find that it picked up until Rhapsodia&#8217;s soundtrack, imo).

The Rhapsodia/Suikoden Tactics version is essentially the &#8220;director&#8217;s cut&#8221; and complete of the theme. You encounter this theme before on the Genso Suikoden IV soundtrack, but it&#8217;s cut short. This is a beautiful, extremely moving piano and violin duet. It&#8217;s a well-constructed tearjerker melody. It&#8217;s a lovely and extremely accurate musical representation of the main character&#8217;s&#8212;no, I guess that would apply to nearly all Suikoden protagonists, wouldn&#8217;t it?&#8212;burdens and hardships throughout the game. While the violin does all the work carrying the melody, the piano solo portion at around 02:42 playing the main melody, despite seemingly lonely is extremely beautiful in its simplicity. It&#8217;s definitely one of my favourite &#8220;tragic&#8221; themes in the Suikoden series. While Reminiscence from Genso Suikoden II (rightfully) gets so much praise, I can&#8217;t help but to enjoy Rune of Punishment even more because of what it represents, and because of its beautiful simplicity and heartbreaking mood. It&#8217;s one of those rare themes that I can just feel in my heart and soul.

Wind Crest ~The Three Trails~ (Final Fantasy X-2 Int&#8217;l + LM)

I like this better than Memories of Light and Waves, just because it has more going for it instrumentally. Both themes are good, but I love the acoustic portion of it, especially. It has its own brilliant melodic twists and each instrument brings its own party to the table. It&#8217;s far more representative of the message of teamwork that the original game was trying to communicate, and I feel like it&#8217;s more uplifting than the original theme (I&#8217;m not saying that it wasn&#8217;t good because I love that theme very much, but I appreciate what Wind Crest was trying to do).​

feel (Final Fantasy X feel/Go Dream album)

This is how I actually learned about Hamauzu, since at the time I&#8217;d played FFX, I didn&#8217;t realize who composed which tracks on Final Fantasy X. I imagine the conversation went like this:

Uematsu: &#8220;Yo Hamauzu-san, can you try to do this arrangement for the Yuna/Tidus image album?&#8221;
Hamauzu: &#8220;ya sure, what do you want me to do?&#8221;
Uematsu: &#8220;can you try to make it sexy&#8221;
Hamuazu: &#8220;wut&#8221;

That&#8217;s pretty much what this piece is. It&#8217;s Yuna&#8217;s Image theme from the Feel/Go Dream album, and they somehow managed to turn it into an adequate RnB theme while still retaining the kokyu and everything. That&#8217;s the first time I felt like Hamauzu could do anything, and felt that he probably did the cooler tracks on FFX&#8217;s soundtrack (which he did). It&#8217;s easily the best track on the image album, and one of the best vocal themes of the generation alone.​

GamerJM

Banned
1. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 ; Shoji Meguro's magnum opus. I'm a big fan of J-Pop and J-Rock and Persona 4 just really nails the vibe its going for, perfectly suiting the game. Tunes like "Your Affection," and "Heartbreak, Heartbreak," just got stuck in my head endlessly. Reach Out To The Truth was great as well. This game's OST was actually a big motivator in getting me into the Persona/SMT series in general, as I decided to listen to it after someone on a forum I visited linked to the game's opening theme and I loved its hook right off the bat.

2. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 ; Prior to writing this list, I listened to the soundtracks for various games I've yet to play (since, it wouldn't be as time consuming as playing all of the games for the games of the generation topic, and I wanted to give everything an equal chance, or at least as much as I possibly can). This was the first of two games with a soundtrack good enough to make it, but yes, this game's OST is so good that I feel comfortable putting it this high on the list despite having never touched this game. In fact, I could even see it topping number 1 once I play this game and listen to it in context. I listened to this game's OST and its predecessor's back to back, and 2 edges out 1 (though I decided not to put 1's on this list since it's too similar to 2's). To be honest, I don't really remember what each individual track was, but this game's soundtrack was just an awesome listen the whole way through, with tons of banging rock jams. The boss battle themes in particular were quite great, with just really neat and fun instrumentation.

3. Sonic Adventure 2 ; The OST everyone knows. SA2's soundtrack is so unbelievably corny but 8-year-old me thought it was some of the best music he had ever heard. Years later I still love listening to it and I can't decide if it's ironic or not. I think it partially is, I mean, no one can think those Knuckles aren't hilarious. But despite being buttrock, I legitimately think that "City Escape," and "Metal Harbor," are still great rock tunes with just the perfect balance of corniness.

4. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 ; I actually got this game before Persona 4 because I didn't have a PS2 at the time (got the PSP version). It's not quite as good as Persona 4's, I don't really like the darker tone quite as much, but it's still great, with tracks like Burn My Dread and of course Mass Destruction. Also, I think When The Moon's Reaching Out The Stars might be my favorite track in the series, and possibly of the entire generation. I like this game's OST for most of the same reason's as 4's, they hit the right tone that J-Pop and J-Rock should hit.

5. BeatMania IIDX 11: IIDX Red ; I had trouble choosing one of the many IIDX games released this gen but I went with this one. Just a really solid collection of electronic songs that enhances the gameplay rather well. Plus it has Speedy Cat! The Beatmania series in general is just chalk full of great tracks that suit the truly fantastic gameplay, and this one basically represents them all.

6. Katamari Damacy ; The second game on here that I haven't played. Endlessly unique sounding, with just a really unique collection of songs. "Katamari On the Rocks," is just such a fun song, possibly one of my favorites of the generation. Others, like "Lonely Rolling Star," and "The Moon and the Prince," just evoke such a unique emotion that really makes the soundtrack stand out.

7. Dance Dance Revolution Extreme (arcade) ; A lot of corny songs here, like SA2, but I like them partially due to nostalgia, and partially because the music is so integral to this game. I still get songs like "Butterfly," "Captain Jack," and "Cartoon Heroes," stuck in my head. Catchy goofy pop songs that I'll always remember, and that's what I really look for I guess :p.

8. Gitaroo Man ; Gitaroo Man's OST is just....timeless. It's short but it's so damn good. I love how it builds up and consistently gets better, matching the game's difficulty. The Legendary Theme is just so damn good and so memorable, perfectly fitting the climax of the game. It's a contender for song of the generation no doubt.

9. Sonic Adventure ; Rather similar to Sonic Adventure 2's, this one is corny in all of the right ways, with the perfect balance of buttrock. "Open Your Heart," in particular is just a really great track. It's significantly lower due to the lack of City Escape and something as hilariously awesome as Pumpkin Hill.

10. Super Smash Bros. Melee ; Melee's OST is like Christmas music to me, I loved it when I was a kid so very much but now I've listened to it so much that I can't really decide if I love it anymore. I think I like it enough for it to rank on the list, albeit at number 10. The opening theme was, for a long time, basically my favorite song, just conveying a perfect sense of "epicness," but now idk, though I still love it. Everything else here is a pretty great collection of Nintendo tracks, with standouts including the remixes of "Together We Ride," and "Big Blue". I also really like "Final Destination 2," of the original songs. "Smashing....Live!", is also just a really, really incredible performance of this game's OST using live instruments. But overall I think what really bring Melee's OST down for me is that I think Brawl's and Smash 4's are quite a bit better, and I don't say that when discussing Brawl/Smash 4 vs. Melee often.

x. F-Zero GX ; I really wish I could have put this on the list. A lot of people prefer X's OST. I disagree. I could listen to Mute City's theme for hours on end (and have). "ZEN," is just such a unique, nifty song, with the way it builds up and totally pulls it off. And of course, Captain Falcon's theme is just deliciously cheesy and reeks of early 00s Sega, and I love it.

x. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker ; I'm not a huge fan of Wind Waker, but I feel that it has one of the best soundtracks in the series, right behind Ocarina's. The sailing theme just emits that perfect sense of adventure that the activity deserves. And the credits theme might be my favorite song in the entire series, the direction the song goes in towards the end causes me to get a bit emotional.

x. Street Fighter III: Third Strike ; I know some people like Double Impact's OST more, I think I slightly prefer Third Strike's though both are pretty close. With its unique eclectic jazz instrumentation, Third Strike's OST has really grown on me while playing the game. From Jazzy NYC '99, to You Blow My Mind, to the main theme, I really just adore OST's soundtrack. Nothing else really sounds like it, at least that I've heard.

x. Fire Emblem: Rekka No Ken ; I'm not a big fan of the GBA soundchip at all, so if this wasn't a GBA game it likely could have ranked. I really do like this game's OST though, but it might partially be nostalgia here though, since again I really don't like the GBA soundchip at all. But songs like "Together We Ride," and "Friendship and Adventure," are just endlessly memorable, and fit the game perfectly.

x. Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door ; A pretty eclectic soundtrack here, with the main theme and the battle themes being the most memorable to me (really helps this game's OST that the two best songs are pretty important songs, imo). Much like Third Strike, nothing really sound's like this game's OST that I've listened to, having some really unique instrumentation and sounds in general.

x. Halo 2 ;From dat main theme, to "Peril," to "Ghosts of Reach," Halo 2's OST is some of Marty O'Donnel's best work, conveying emotion and enhancing Halo 2 as an experience in a way a lot of western OSTs fail to. Of course, it's not as good as the GOAT ODST's, but then again what is?

x. Tales of the Abyss: What do we have here, another game I haven't played :p? Though I didn't listen to this one specifically for this list, and likely wouldn't have had I not binge listened to a bunch of Tales games' OSTs back in like 2010, before I played more games in the series and realized I didn't like it. Of the Tales OSTs I listened to this one was my favorite. I really, really love the main theme here, "Karma," it's just one of those J-Rock songs that I can listen to over and over again. And they sample/remix it in other songs in the OST, like "Meaning of Birth," and "Mirrors". In some respects this game's OST is kinda generic and not all too different from the kind of stuff you typically hear in JRPGs, but it does what it does very well, and I can listen to a lot of the songs several times over.

x. Final Fantasy X ; One of the better FF OSTs. I don't really know how to explain this but this game's OST actually feels more like something out of gen 5 to me, idk it just kind of has a PS1ish vibe to it. Seymour's Battle Theme and of course To Zanarkand are some highlights. Really fits the vibe needed for the world of Spira.

x. Guilty Gear XX ; Metal as fuck! From "Holy Orders," to "The Midnight Carnival," XX's OST is just one huge love letter to hard as hell metal and it works. This is the kind of music I want in anime fighters!

x. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 ; I WANNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE
(but for real this game's soundtrack is rad with some nice jazz, even if it doesn't necessarily fit the game well)

x. Jet Set Radio Future ; Another game I haven't played, but listened to the OST of in preparation for this topic. With unique use of samples and instruments, JSFR is another OST that, yet again, manages to sound endlessly unique, covering a variety of genres. The whole thing is just funky and fun to listen to the whole way through. Oddly enough, I also listened to the Jet Grind Radio OST prior to making this list and didn't care for it very much for some reason....JSFR has always looked like the more interesting game to me as well. "The Concept of Love," and "Funky Dealer," were major highlights for me.

x. WarioWare Inc.: Mega Micro Game$ ; This game's OST isn't very long but what is here I love. Drifting Away and the Title Theme are catching and very nostalgic for me, and they don't really seem too limited by the GBA's soundchip.

That was difficult! Did anyone else listen to the OSTs of a bunch of games you've never played :p? But really, ranking these was hard because I don't usually rank soundtracks, just games. Everything from like, 5 and onward (through the honorable mentions) is mostly just really arbitrary. There were even games that had OSTs that I quite liked that didn't even make honorable mentions because I didn't really like them enough for that, like Mother 3, the console Pokemon games, Animal Crossing, Super Monkey Ball 2, and SMT Nocturne.

demidar

Goddamn it Schala. You say you apologize for your list being too short, then proceed to post the biggest, most verbose list in the entire thread.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Goddamn it Schala. You say you apologize for your list being too short, then proceed to post the biggest, most verbose list in the entire thread.
It's not even finished and my last two soundtrack thread posts were like four posts long i'm not even kidding:

Also I post 4 posts' worth of words in the Soundtrack of the Year threads. They're pretty cool.
2011 Soundtrack of the Year: 1, 2
2012 Soundtrack of the Year: 1, 2, LTTP Post
2013 Soundtrack of the Year: 1, 2, 3, 4
2014 Soundtrack of the Year: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

That was difficult! Did anyone else listen to the OSTs of a bunch of games you've never played :p? .
I kinda have to do it every year, lol.

NEO0MJ

Missed the GOTG thread so I hope I don't miss this.

1. Super Smash Bros Melee
Fountain of Dreams
Final Destination
Brinstar Depths

2. Viewtiful Joe
Blue the True Hero
Another Joe
Inferno Lord Fire Leo

3. F-Zero GX
Zen
8 Guitars
Dizzy

4. Shadow of the Colossus

Revived Power
A Violent Encouter

5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Title Theme
Molgera Battle Theme

6. Okami

The Sun Rises

7. Mother 3

Master Porky's theme

8. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Battle in the Base

9. Persona 3

The Battle for Everyone's Soul

10. Gotcha Force

Decisive Conflict

x. Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

Gonna put more detail into it later. Not even sure if I put them in the right order.

I kinda have to do it every year, lol.

Why?

Top Bottom