• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Life As a Darklord: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is coming to WiiWare

farnham

Banned
Blast Processing said:
Dark lord

DARK LORD

NOT "DARKLORD"

wtf is a darklord?
star-wars-episode-ii-sith-lords-4900609.jpg

hiryu said:
Very cool, reminds me of dungeon keeper.

thats what i thought of the moment i saw it too

conceptwise of course

Talamius

Hopefully this integrates into MLaaK. It would be cool to see your towers in MLaaK, while seeing your MLaaK adventurers attacking towers in Darklord.

Scrubking

jump_button said:
you can see what your fighters are doing now or is that the game and is nothing like the little king?

It's nothing like MLAAK. That was a kingdom sim this is a simple tower defense game.

Artadius

Scrubking said:
It's nothing like MLAAK. That was a kingdom sim this is a simple tower defense game.

I don't think that's a fair assessment.

Sure, you seem to be coordinating the defense of a tower, but to call it a 'tower defense game' pins it into a genre that seems to mean something else than the vibe I'm getting fromt his (Dungeon Keeper + Sim Tower). And the screens, in my opinion, scream anything but simple :)

Scrubking

Whatever you want to define the genre as the point is that it's not like MLAAK (which is a gigantic disappointment for me).

Vinci

Danish
So we're maintaining the process: A game is announced for the Wii; owners get excited; something as simple as a screenshot or two is revealed; some owners bitch.

Lets save the hate train for when we actually know a bit about how this plays, hm?

Hikari to Yami no Himegimi to Sekaiseifuku no Tō: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

That has to be one of the contenders for lengthiest game name ever.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Prime Blue said:
Hikari to Yami no Himegimi to Sekaiseifuku no Tō: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

It´s the sequel to Chiisana Ōsama to Yakusoku no Kuni: Fainaru Fantajī Kurisutaru Kuronikuru after all :lol

Wow, only 1000 Wii Points this time. I really enjoyed My Life as a King, while I know it's not going to be the same, I'm excited for this and hoping it'll be as fun.

mclem

Prime Blue said:

Attack of the Mutant Zombie Flesh-Eating Chickens from Mars (Starring Zappo the Dog)?

botticus said:
I'll be curious to see what differences there are in terms of mechanics. Loved the first game, but I'm hoping this is more than just a face lift.

I cant tell what the hell is going on in the screens, but it definitely looks nothing like the first game.

whiterabbit said:
I cant tell what the hell is going on in the screens, but it definitely looks nothing like the first game.

It's a tower defense game, this time.
You set traps, spawn monsters, ect, all to kill those pesky Heroes that enter your dungeon.

GDGF

Soothsayer
AceBandage said:
It's a tower defense game, this time.
You set traps, spawn monsters, ect, all to kill those pesky Heroes that enter your dungeon.

That sounds so completely badass :lol

I haven't been following this one (as my FF eye has been set firmly on Crystal Bearers) but it's good to know it's out there (or soon will be)

Zanasea

Here is the staff from the official website:

Producers
Hiroaki Iwano, Takamasa Shiba

Director
Hiroyasu Kaneko

Scenario Director
Motomu Toriyama

Main Character Designer
Yasuhisa Izumisawa

Composer
Kumi Tanioka

Art Superviser
Toshiyuki Itahana

Executive Producers
Akitoshi Kawazu, Yu Miyake
Has anybody heard of this Hiroyasu Kaneko fellow before?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MLAAK was fucking awesome, so I'm all over this Day 1. Hell yes.

Article up on IGN.com:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/976/976157p1.html said:
April 24, 2009 - Square Enix announced a Japanese release today for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Dark Lord. So why does this matter to you, the presumably non-Japan-based gamer? How does new screenshots and a few new details on the game sound?

As previously detailed at its Game Developers Conference unveiling, My Life as a Dark Lord is a sequel to the early WiiWare game My Life as a King. Things have flipped around somewhat, though. This time, you take control of a demon and attempt to keep adventurers from making it up to the top of your tower and stealing your dark crystal. To achieve this, you position traps and monsters around on the various floors of your tower.

In the Japanese version, the demon you control is named Mira. She's known as "Miss" in the English version. The background story, as detailed at the newly opened Japanese official site, kicks off when a mysterious object is seen flying through the sky. That object is your tower -- yes, it's one of those flying towers that everyone's talking about! Mira, who became the Dark Lord following her father's death and now longs for world domination, issues a battle decree against all the world's adventurers.

How exactly the game plays out is still somewhat of a mystery, and that's despite a full blowout in this week's Famitsu. It appears that you'll use "Negative Power" to place your traps and monsters about the floors. You end up clearing a stage once you've defeated a certain number of adventurers. Should your traps and monsters fail, the adventurers slowly advance up your tower.

The site lists the following staff members for the game:

Producer: Iwano Hiroaki, Shiba Takamasa
Director: Hiroyasu Kaneko
Scenario Director: Motomu Toriyama
Main Character Design: Yasuhisa Izumisawa
Composer: Kumi Tanioka
Art Supervisor: Toshiyuki Itahana
Executive Producer: Akitoshi Kawazu, Yu Miyake

A Japanese release for My Life as a Dark Lord is set for June. As the US version was announced first, we hope this means a worldwide release won't be too far off.

Not sure why they say her name is "Miss" in the US version. We've seen screenshots with her name being Mira in English. :lol

Vinci

Danish
Zanasea said:
Has anybody heard of this Hiroyasu Kaneko fellow before?

Talented guy.

Here's another project he's worked on:

Suppression of Hepatitis C Virus Core Protein by Short Hairpin RNA Expression Vectors in the Core Protein Expression HUH-7 Cells

Sounds pretty hardcore.

This is the only Hiroyasu Kaneko I could find online.

Zanasea

GoldandBlue said:
Not sure why they say her name is "Miss" in the US version. We've seen screenshots with her name being Mira in English. :lol
Official website calls her Miss as well... Seems to contradict the screenshots.

Suppression of Hepatitis C Virus Core Protein by Short Hairpin RNA Expression Vectors in the Core Protein Expression HUH-7 Cells
Now that's an amazing background for a FFCC game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Maybe her actual name is Mira but her minions just call her Miss? Only time will tell!
Totally interested in this game, wonder if there'll be a bunch of DLC for it as well, probably :D

Haunted

Well, it might be a tower defence game - as in, you are literally defending a tower >_< - but the screens don't really make it look like one of those isometric/top down tower defence games I hate so much.

It looks more like Grim Grimoire, or a simplified Dungeon Keeper on a 2D plane.

I dunno, I need to see more and how it plays, I guess.

Somebody pointed this out to me:

2i6ozrp.jpg

You can see King Leo there, if you hadn't noticed him yet but also right next to him is Princess Fiona from the original FFCC.

dqjf9x.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The castle has a bit pair of tits on it...

I love the character design from the artist from FFIX, which seems to be the same one here?

Zanasea

Ether_Snake said:
The castle has a bit pair of tits on it...

I love the character design from the artist from FFIX, which seems to be the same one here?
No, it's Yasuhisa Izumisawa, but it does look like Toshiyuki Itahana's art.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Game looks super awesome and will be super awesome.

Not a fan of the main character design, though. Which is sad, because I usually love the FFCC art direction. (Though, actually, King Leo is pretty dumb looking too)

d+pad

I think it's funny how so many complain about SE's lack of output on the Wii so far, but in my mind, the three FFCC games (this game, FFCC: My Life as a King and FFCC: The Crystal Bearers) are more interesting and more original/unique than the shit they've put out on PS3/360.

Anyway, I'll be picking this up day one. FFIV: The After, too :D

Mardak

I bought this on Thanksgiving and have been playing it every day since. It's got plenty of strategy with different monster/adventurer types and rooms to place them in. Some reason it reminds me a bit of Tactics.

I haven't purchased any of the DLC, but I might end up getting the extra chapter once I beat the game.

Top Bottom