• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Jamesways

I guess I'll ask in this thread, guys, what's the best Rally game on PS3 ?

WRC 4 or DiRT 3?

Any others worth considering?

Need something to play before WRC 5 later this year.

I'd say Dirt 2.

Although they won't win any beauty contests, and they reuse stages through most of the games, I really had fun with the WRC games. Imported them to the US.

Dirt 2 was fun, Dirt 3 was good (especially with the Monte Carlo DLC) but there's only 5 rally environments, and the stages are really short. Plus the whole Gymkhana Ken Block and friends show wasn't my thing. I enjoyed the WRC series more for actual rally racing.

We'll see how Kylotonn's game turns out. Milestone also is doing a console rally game, even though they lost the license, Sebastian Loeb Rally. They're released screens but no gameplay yet.

DD

Yeah... I had fun with WRC too, but Dirt 2 is a better game in my opinion. Dirt 3 has fewer sceneries (although it has time and weather variations) and very short tracks. I don't know, I really miss some great rally racer like Richard Burns Rally. ;/

Gestault

Comparison of pCARS and Assetto, ultra settings.

https://youtu.be/As0pY4kmIzU

I'd assume PC is on the left, AC is on the right. It's an interesting comparison. I do like the haze in AC in theory, but coming around certain stretches, you almost see it propagate on the track ahead. Even set to the same factors, I sense that these would still feel like different times of day. The range of lighting effects/contrast range in PC is very nice, though AC holds up all on its own by having the basics (and sense of movement) well in place.

I know it was disabled for the comparison, but is motion blur handled better or worse in either game? I'm not familiar with the process/renderer for either.

Sipheren

Banned
I'd assume PC is on the left, AC is on the right. It's an interesting comparison. I do like the haze in AC in theory, but coming around certain stretches, you almost see it propagate on the track ahead. Even set to the same factors, I sense that these would still feel like different times of day. The range of lighting effects/contrast range in PC is very nice, though AC holds up all on its own by having the basics (and sense of movement) well in place.

I know it was disabled for the comparison, but is motion blur handled better or worse in either game? I'm not familiar with the process/renderer for either.

The haze in AC is nice, makes it feel like a misty track in Germany. I think the details, lighting and texturing are a bit better in pCars.

The motion blur works well in both, I just don't like it being on to high in racing games.

bj00rn_

Banned
Comparison of pCARS and Assetto, ultra settings.

https://youtu.be/As0pY4kmIzU

I don't know why the video creator chose to compare them in different weather conditions. AC was set up to a flat light weather condition with lots of haze compared to a sunny clear and shadow-ey PC. Videos are not even synced.

Anyway, I can't wait to throw out my DK2 for a Oculus Rift CV1 and a HTC Vive.. I JUST CAN'T ****** WAIT.

Edit: Changing weather.. Ok.. Got it :) But AC should be in sunny weather from the get go, looks best that way.

Yiazmat

fujitsuefuou.jpg

bathurstc29gup2.jpg

bat4fux1.jpg

Having spent the last few weeks flip flopping between Driveclub and all three PS3 GTs and looking at the images and videos in this thread, it's clear to me that GT PS4 will completely annihilate the competition for pure eye candy.

Can't wait to clap eyes on it, when is GT Academy 2015 PS4 getting announced?

Aren't those just 2D sprites though? I mean, even GT has that
on some tracks
I think they are but they're 2D in 99.9% of games anyway. The density of it is still impressive. GT6 still looks great despite the hardware but the effect is lost a bit when you play it and realise it's rarely ever 60FPS. They pushed the PS3 too far and favoured graphics over consistency.

But if you look closely GT6 is more true to the real thing.

While that's true, I think Forza's looks better than the real one anyway. Not more realistic, but just the fact that the real one has patchy grass over mud and Forza's is nice and consistent.

Caayn

on some tracks
Still 2D sprites indeed, a ton of games still use that. And why wouldn't they? Would love to see 3D for everything but that would be a waste of resources the current consoles don't have, and 2D can look really good if done well like in Driveclub for example. Evo really outdid themselves by making the 2D foliage look 3D even when standing still.

In game it's dense enough to give you the illusion that you're looking at an actual 3D field of grass, especially at the speeds that you're going past it.
fm5caayn2jvjwu.png

AndyD

aka andydumi
While that's true, I think Forza's looks better than the real one anyway. Not more realistic, but just the fact that the real one has patchy grass over mud and Forza's is nice and consistent.

Forza does that in a number of places, they go for a more consistent look even if not authentic to the real thing. GT strives more for the authentic, even if ugly. They mentioned this in an interview that they try to make it look real and nail key reference points real world drivers might use like an odd tree or bump or sign.

It's a fair approach for both of them, and each has its merits.

p3tran

Banned
on some tracks

you know, there is another racing game that uses 2d sprites for leaves, branches and what not, but still is getting universal appraisal here for its fantastic plantation graphics
(pro tip: its not forza 5)

Having spent the last few weeks flip flopping between Driveclub and all three PS3 GTs and looking at the images and videos in this thread, it's clear to me that GT PS4 will completely annihilate the competition for pure eye candy.
I have no doubt it'll hit spectacular high points, but the fact that they're still keeping standards around makes me wonder how well it'll all come together. And are they going to redo all of their tracks? I hope so, but given how long it takes Polyphony to work their magic I honestly don't know what to expect.

This thread has reminded me how much I love Forza 5's Bathurst. Might have to jump back in for a few laps of Mount Panorama and the ring. Its been a while.

Yiazmat

Still 2D sprites indeed, a ton of games still use that. And why wouldn't they? Would love to see 3D for everything but that would be a waste of resources the current consoles don't have, and 2D can look really good if done well like in Driveclub for example. Evo really outdid themselves by making the 2D foliage look 3D even when standing still.

In game it's dense enough to give you the illusion that you're looking at an actual 3D field of grass, especially at the speeds that you're going past it.
you know, there is another racing game that uses 2d sprites for leaves, branches and what not, but still is getting universal appraisal here for its fantastic plantation graphics
(pro tip: its not forza 5)

I know, my point was that there's nothing 'amazing' about 2d sprites. (ps: I'm not complaining about them, they look good most of the time and are a necessary tradeoff for games, but they're not amazing by any means)

I have no doubt it'll hit spectacular high points, but the fact that they're still keeping standards around makes me wonder how well it'll all come together. And are they going to redo all of their tracks? I hope so, but given how long it takes Polyphony to work their magic I honestly don't know what to expect.

They only need to remake 2 tracks from scratch: Laguna Seca and Cote d'Azur (Monaco) the other ps2 tracks (Trial Mountain, Grand Valley and Deep Forest) only need to be updated like they did with Autumn Ring. And the tracks made for the ps3 only need higher res textures and a little more geometry.

But the standard cars will be a problem, yes. Theres's no way they can update all of them.

They only need to remake 2 tracks from scratch: Laguna Seca and Cote d'Azur (Monaco) the other ps2 tracks (Trial Mountain, Grand Valley and Deep Forest) only need to be updated like they did with Autumn Ring. And the tracks made for the ps3 only need higher res textures and a little more geometry.

But the standard cars will be a problem, yes. Theres's no way they can update all of them.

I could see them dropping Cote d'Azur unless they're allowed to update it properly. I'm not sure if they can get the license for the track since I remember someone saying that it's connected to F1 in some way. I think the others will probably be remade.

I guess it also depends on how many new tracks are going to be added. Isle of Man and the return of Pikes Peak are two tracks that are heavily rumored. And they all but confirmed Seattle's return when they recently brought this back to GT6

i1xjbnsgjd0xaeceyo5p.jpg

i16gy7xsthfjndbtwr3h.jpg

i1rvbtfb6wrlsdhu5qc1.jpg

I could see them dropping Cote d'Azur unless they're allowed to update it properly. I'm not sure if they can get the license for the track since I remember someone saying that it's connected to F1 in some way. I think the others will probably be remade.

I guess it also depends on how many new tracks are going to be added. Isle of Man and the return of Pikes Peak are two tracks that are heavily rumored. And they all but confirmed Seattle's return when they recently brought this back to GT6

i1xjbnsgjd0xaeceyo5p.jpg

i16gy7xsthfjndbtwr3h.jpg

i1rvbtfb6wrlsdhu5qc1.jpg

Bottom shot looks like real life

ShamePain

Banned
It's actually surprising but GT6 has higher res textures than Forza 5 on Bathrust and I don't really understand how. I've compared them both on my systems.

Shaneus

It's actually surprising but GT6 has higher res textures than Forza 5 on Bathrust and I don't really understand how. I've compared them both on my systems.
Texture streaming vs. ??? I know PGR4 was god-tier in that regard, only streaming textures it needed rather than all of them. Not sure if FM5 (or GT6 for that matter) works the same way.

Yiazmat

Isn't the name the only problem with the Monaco license? It is a public road after all, so maybe they could laser scan it but keep the Cote d'Azur name, who knows.

Polyphony's wizardry.

_machine

Cote d'Azur doesn't need a license since it's a public road. If you were to name it Monaco GP you would need a license from F1.

Isn't the name the only problem with the Monaco license? It is a public road after all, so maybe they could laser scan it but keep the Cote d'Azur name, who knows.

Cote d'Azur doesn't need a license since it's a public road. If you were to name it Monaco GP you would need a license from F1.

So they'd legally be allowed to laserscan Monaco just as long as they didn't actually call it Monaco? They seem to be trying to get their real world tracks FIA certified, so they'd need to laserscan it.

p3tran

Banned
you mean you found one surface where you think that gt6 has higher resolution, or
it is your opinion that in general gt6 bathurst textures are higher rez than forza5's?
mighty impressive if the latter. you have any pics ?

Mascot

GT6 can look amazing (yet struggles in motion, as we know) but I've got a whole heap of dithering that I can't seem to get rid of, even at 1080p. It's very noticable on distant trees and chain-link fencing. I don't remember it ever being this bad.

_machine

So they'd legally be allowed to laserscan Monaco just as long as they didn't actually call it Monaco? They seem to be trying to get their real world tracks FIA certified, so they'd need to laserscan it.
Yup , but laser-scanning a public road might not be the easiest thing to arrange and you would still have to make the curbs and whatnot by hand.

ShamePain

Banned
you mean you found one surface where you think that gt6 has higher resolution, or
it is your opinion that in general gt6 bathurst textures are higher rez than forza5's?
mighty impressive if the latter. you have any pics ?

All signage in general are less pixelated in GT6 than in FM5, so it's easy to compare, especially if it's the same banner.

GT6 can look amazing (yet struggles in motion, as we know) but I've got a whole heap of dithering that I can't seem to get rid of, even at 1080p. It's very noticable on distant trees and chain-link fencing. I don't remember it ever being this bad.
That dithering is overpowering at times. Its impossible to miss when running Bathurst.

Melfice7

Seeing the DF performance analysis on Project Cars makes me wonder if people now appreciate a little more what PD managed to do on the freaking PS3

Sipheren

Banned
I don't know why the video creator chose to compare them in different weather conditions. AC was set up to a flat light weather condition with lots of haze compared to a sunny clear and shadow-ey PC. Videos are not even synced.

Anyway, I can't wait to throw out my DK2 for a Oculus Rift CV1 and a HTC Vive.. I JUST CAN'T ****** WAIT.

Edit: Changing weather.. Ok.. Got it :) But AC should be in sunny weather from the get go, looks best that way.

They are both the same time of day (at the start, pCARS transitions), both set to overcast, no rain in AC so I couldn't turn it on. I just wanted to show them both at their best. AC has an interesting haze to the distance which I like.

The racing is out of sync because I couldn't get the lap exactly the same, I could have speed up the video at certain points but it looks stupid so I just left as is, you still can easily compare the lighting, textures, geometry, etc.

benzy

Lol. Must say I prefer the Bathurst and Willow Springs in GT6; the Bathurst trees in pCars is strange looking. Not a fan of the yellowish tint in GT6's Silverstone though.

Can you get some pCars comparisons to this?

Nurburgring
gt6photo18nlr0.jpg

Bathurst
gt6photo2ahxdu.jpg

gt6photo371u3k.jpg

jett

D-Member
lol at that gif

Looking at those comparison pictures I feel like PC should be holding 60fps. :p Wonder what GT7 is going to look like.

Game4life

Banned
Jesus Christ seeing those pics I dont know how Polyphony got GT to look as good as it looks on a freaking PS3. Cannot wait to see their PS4 debut attempt. Driveclub's weather is going to spoil PD's effort though.

Top Bottom