• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

ShamePain

Banned
At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see GT7 running at 4k@60fps while sporting better graphics than any other racer. It's PD after all, their engineers can summon sony consoles from parallel universes and connect them in a cluster. Otherwise how do you explain that GT6 runs at a higher resolution than most of Xbone games all the while putting out graphics comparable to currentgen 60 fps racers?

lol at that gif

Looking at those comparison pictures I feel like PC should be holding 60fps. :p Wonder what GT7 is going to look like.

I've been saying for some time that I think people are really underestimating what PD will be able to do without the limitations that they had with the PS3. They were already doing shit that no one else was even attempting on that hardware. The 30fps vs. 60fps argument seems to be pretty prevalent when discussing why they can't match the visuals of other games. But they've had no problem doing that in the past with their games.

But I guess we'll see whenever they finally reveal the game. Hopefully it'll be E3. I'm most excited to see what their lighting engine looks like on the PS4. They've been wizards in that area since the PSone.

saladine1

Nurburgring
gt6photo18nlr0.jpg

Amazing!

GT7 is going to look absolutely incredible.

Yiazmat

Lol. Must say I prefer the Bathurst and Willow Springs in GT6; the Bathurst trees in pCars is strange looking. Not a fan of the yellowish tint in GT6's Silverstone though.

Can you get some pCars comparisons to this?
It's a bit tricky without knowing the correct time of day. But here it is:

I almost couldn't find the corner of the second picture. lol

benzy

I'll give it a go tonight, if I can get the same angles.

Nice. Would be cool to get another take on it.

It's a bit tricky without knowing the correct time of day. But here it is:

I almost couldn't find the corner of the second picture. lol

Thanks! lol. I believe Bathurst is early morning sunrise at around 5:30am-ish but I forgot what setting I had the Nurburgring on.

Amazing. Just going by artistic merit alone PD is on a whole different level.

pcars642015-05-0723-5kgx6y.png

gt6photo18nlr0.jpg

pcars642015-05-0800-4u7yt9.png

gt6photo2ahxdu.jpg

pcars642015-05-0800-1gujel.png

gt6photo371u3k.jpg

shandy706

Wow at GT6 besting racing games running on better hardware :O !!!

It doesn't unless you shrink it to gif size, setup well placed photo shots, or find perfect situations to make it look better. During actual gameplay it drops off a cliff in comparison.

For example. Find one road detail that comes close to this...

inn4SyuQSD5Xv.jpg

Or this...

ibhRKFp95A4RVO.jpg

Or this...

ibhFT9xdSG8Kqj.jpg

Or this...

i71TF8WEIFYlx.png

Or this...

447B40E8-063E-44E7-B197-CC03D3C5727A.jpg

..or even an open world racer..

iboZ1W7bhv6yvx.jpg

The textures, paint, trackside detail..it's all far greater on the better hardware.

It's all very obvious on a big screen 1080p set.

Edit* I'm not talking art direction of course. PD has excellent art/lighting. I'm talking detail/texture quality/entire scene, polycount

pixelation

Not as a whole (sorry if i didn't explain myself better) but it certainly does somethings better for example the threes in the pics posted look better in GT6, it has 3D spectators, the lighting IMHO is more realistic in GT6 stuff like that.

Edit: Dude above me posted a quality shot...

Noobcraft

WTF, c'mon man, that's a real image surely..
It is above the games rendering resolution so I don't know what it is lol. GT6 takes screenshots in full 1080p, but you won't ever see that in game.

I do expect GT7 to at least reach GT6 photomode levels of detail whenever it releases, which should be glorious. As it stands now it's a bit silly comparing GT6 photomode to Forza 5 or PCars though honestly.

benzy

It is above the games rendering resolution so I don't know what it is lol. GT6 takes screenshots in full 1080p, but you won't ever see that in game.

I do expect GT7 to at least reach GT6 photomode levels of detail whenever it releases, which should be glorious. As it stands now it's a bit silly comparing GT6 photomode to Forza 5 or PCars though honestly.

This is GT6 1080p in-game. Anyone with ps4/xbone pCars wanna take a comparison?

gt6in-gameykudn.png

gt6in-game285uli.png

Noobcraft

Some of the more popular Forza Horizon 2 gameplay shots I've taken in terms of views:
mon_mar_16_16-40-11_maikk1.png

screenshot-original14joubf.png

screenshot-original-9kcuaq.png

sat_feb_28_18-42-41_mwusb5.png

This last one wasn't as popular but I like it.
mon_mar_16_16-37-57_mchjcy.png

I hope Forza 6 surpasses FH2 in a lot of areas graphically. SSR, 60 fps, more refined lighting.

ShamePain

Banned
Comparing textures is a bit silly because they're all basically photo textures at this point, no artistic input is required for those, they aren't painted by hand. Lighting on the other hand is very artist dependent and GT has always been aiming for recreating reality as closely as possible while devs like T10/SMS and others resort to cheap wow effect techniques like overdone lens flare and god rays which you don't really see under normal conditions.

Unbelievable how great GT6 looks on PS3. The color, lighting is much more realistic in GT6 than pCars or F5. GT7 will rip them apart. And knowing they have hired the audio guy and UI guy, I think this time it might be a much bigger jump in quality for the series than previous entries.

E3!!!!!

benzy

Some of the more popular Forza Horizon 2 gameplay shots I've taken in terms of views:

I hope Forza 6 surpasses FH2 in a lot of areas graphically. SSR, 60 fps, more refined lighting.

Nice to have this thread sort of alive for the time being. :p I hope F6 has the time change from FH2 at least. I'm not expecting weather considering T10 always goes for a rock-solid 60fps though, gonna be really hard to maintain that.

Noobcraft

This is GT6 1080p in-game. Anyone with ps4/xbone pCars wanna take a comparison?

gt6in-gameykudn.png

gt6in-game285uli.png
I don't have PCars but I'm willing to get FH2 and FM5 gameplay shots of the (similar) model.

Here's the Forzavista model in FM5.
sun_mar_8_15-55-52_md4vszh.png

Here's the Gameplay model in FM5:
fri_may_8_00-42-28_cd6yuvz.png

Annnnd finally Forza Horizon 2:
fri_may_8_00-52-49_cdhdur6.png

ShamePain

Banned
I don't have PCars but I'm willing to get FH2 and FM5 gameplay shots of the (similar) model.

Here's the Forzavista model in FM5.
sun_mar_8_15-55-52_md4vszh.png

Garage vs gameplay. In game Forza 5 looks much worse than in Autovista, also it's important to note that it has pre-baked lighting while GT6/PCars have real-time lighting.

Not trying to harp but what's the point of even posting that, it comes off pretty desperate, I mean you just posted this and then follow it with a vista shot, the mother load of Bullshits.

As it stands now it's a bit silly comparing GT6 photomode to Forza 5 or PCars though honestly.

Noobcraft

Not trying to harp but what's the point of even posting that, it comes off pretty desperate, I mean you just posted this and then follow it with a vista shot, the mother load of Bullshits.
You're harping. The only reason the Forzavista shot was there is because I already had a picture of it online. I put it there for comparison against the gameplay models (which are now there) to see what details were dropped.

Shaneus

Those Horizon 2 shots still don't look anywhere near "real" to me, though. They might have wonderful textures or whatever, but they're missing imperfections and real-world details that make driving games look realistic. Sometimes it can look great, but overall it's like the uncanny valley of racers... almost there, but not quite.

Noobcraft

Those Horizon 2 shots still don't look anywhere near "real" to me, though. They might have wonderful textures or whatever, but they're missing imperfections and real-world details that make driving games look realistic. Sometimes it can look great, but overall it's like the uncanny valley of racers... almost there, but not quite.
Compared to Driveclub it leaves a lot to be desired in the reflection and lighting system used. SSR is an awesome feature for racers and I hope it's adopted more until we get ray tracing (maybe next gen :/)

saladine1

To me, Forza 5 and Horizon both look great in motion. But I agree, that realism just isn't there. I'd love to know whether Turn 10 are trying to get that realistic look but can't because of talent, or whether they just don't care for it and would rather that 'gamey' look...

etta

my hard graphic balls
Compared to Driveclub it leaves a lot to be desired in the reflection and lighting system used. SSR is an awesome feature for racers and I hope it's adopted more until we get ray tracing (maybe next gen :/)

Wait, why is DriveClub being compared to Forza Horizon? I am sure Playground Games could have improved the "realism" had they not had their resources eaten up by the open world nature of the game.

To me, Forza 5 and Horizon both look great in motion. But I agree, that realism just isn't there. I'd love to know whether Turn 10 are trying to get that realistic look but can't because of talent, or whether they just don't care for it and would rather that 'gamey' look...

I think Horizon is going more for the colorful/arcade pop than realism.

Shaneus

Wait, why is DriveClub being compared to Forza Horizon? I am sure Playground Games could have improved the "realism" had they not had their resources eaten up by the open world nature of the game.
The engine guys are different to the environment guys. Taking from one wouldn't necessarily help the other.

I think Horizon is going more for the colorful/arcade pop than realism.
Did you mean to make both these comments in the same post?

Noobcraft

If I had to guess, I'd say they're probably held back by some legacy code in the engine. The game sits at a rock solid 60 fps, but that's because it's built off of ~10 years of code now and isn't doing much in terms of advanced rendering techniques (no tesselation, simplistic shadows, lots of baked effects, etc.) It's great that each entry is pretty much locked in at 30 or 60 fps, but they don't seem to be doing much behind the scenes.

Shaneus

If I had to guess, I'd say they're probably held back by some legacy code in the engine. The game sits at a rock solid 60 fps, but that's because it's built off of ~10 years of code now and isn't doing much in terms of advanced rendering techniques (no tesselation, simplistic shadows, lots of baked effects, etc.) It's great that each entry is pretty much locked in at 30 or 60 fps, but they don't seem to be doing much behind the scenes.
I'd agree. Would not be surprised if it's not unlike Codemasters with their EGO engine. It was great for it's time and still looks pretty good now, but the limitations are showing.

Itching to see what we'll get with FM6. Hopefully they've done some overhauling and made it look even more amazing without having to compromise (I'm looking at you, cardboard crowds).

Noobcraft

I'm looking at you, cardboard crowds.
I'm quite fond of the cardboard crowds :) I'll miss them if they leave because they have so much character.
Not to mention all the mileage I've gotten out of this jpeg. And the philosophical questions... I sometimes wonder what the back of a digital cardboard cutout looks like. I expect it to look something like the tesseract in Interstellar.
getphoto4l1uk7.jpg

etta

my hard graphic balls
The engine guys are different to the environment guys. Taking from one wouldn't necessarily help the other.

Did you mean to make both these comments in the same post?

It doesn't matter that the engine guys and environment guys are different. There is limited resources. The environment guys are limited, otherwise I am sure they are more than talented enough to match DriveClub's graphics.

What's wrong with the post? First part is about the limitation of resources and DriveClub not having to deal with open world calculations, and the PS4 having more juice. The second part is refering to the design decision for the presentation. Horizon is more Underground/Midnight Club than Motorsport/GT/PCars

It doesn't matter that the engine guys and environment guys are different. There is limited resources. The environment guys are limited, otherwise I am sure they are more than talented enough to match DriveClub graphics.

What's wrong with the post? First part is about the limitation of resources and DriveClub not having to deal with open world calculations, and the PS4 having more juice. The second part is refering to the design decision for the presentation. Horizon is more Underground/Midnight Club than Motorsport/GT/PCars

I assume because Shaneus was saying it doesn't seem realistic compared to Driveclub to whcih you said it looked realistic for an open world game and shouldn't be compared, then said that they weren't going for a realistic view anyway.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I assume because Shaneus was saying it doesn't seem realistic compared to Driveclub to whcih you said it looked realistic for an open world game and shouldn't be compared, then said that they weren't going for a realistic view anyway.

The hell, where did I say it looked realistic for an open world game? Is it not an agreeable matter that, had the developers not been limited by resources, they would have the talent to improve the graphics? That is what I am arguing, the resource based view concept.

Edit: I'm just saying that I don't see the logic behind comparing graphics of DriveClub and Horizon 2 when the developers have to deal with different circumstances. It would have been logical to compare them in that manner if Horizon was closed circuit like Motorsport.

Tripolygon

Banned
The hell, where did I say it looked realistic for an open world game? Is it not an agreeable matter that, had the developers not been limited by resources, they would have the talent to improve the graphics? That is what I am arguing, the resource based view concept.

Edit: I'm just saying that I don't see the logic behind comparing graphics of DriveClub and Horizon 2 when the developers have to deal with different circumstances. It would have been logical to compare them in that manner if Horizon was closed circuit like Motorsport.
The title of this thread is Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off. Resources had nothing to do with it, neither is the game being open-world, that's just the look the developers wanted for their game which is similar to their previous games. This whole thread was created to compare which racing game looks best.

Edit: Just to clarify i'm not saying it looks bad, i'm saying it was a conscious decision made by the developers to make the game look like that.

etta

my hard graphic balls
The title of this thread is Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off. Resources had nothing to do with it, neither is the game being open-world, that's just the look the developers wanted for their game which is similar to their previous games. This whole thread was created to compare which racing game looks best.

Sure, but to overlook the fact of why Horizon's graphics are the way they are seems a tad naive. Guess I am just lost, I'll find my way out.

driveclub is the only racer to really separate itself from previous gen titles. fh2 looks more like a half gen leap. the rest are bleh.

Noobcraft

Here you go, this is from the PS4 version, gameplay not photo mode. Not as sharp as FM5 - though that may be down to terrible compression in PS4 screenshots.

I prefer the Forza 5 shot of yours.
As requested. Xbox one,Project cars.
^ From the screenshot thread were nice enough to share gameplay screenshots from the PS4/Xbox One versions of Project Cars for comparison.

Project Cars:
PS4 - JackAubrey:
Project%20CARS_20150508100811.jpg

Xbox One - Pjsprojects:
islJVhM5azEbd.png

Forza Motorsport 5:
fri_may_8_00-42-28_cd6yuvz.png

GT6 - Benzy:
gt6in-gameykudn.png

ShamePain

Banned
Yeah, PCars looks significantly better than FM5, overall it's remarkable because it has realtime lighting/weather, AA, AF while FM5 has none of these, also PC has3 times the amount of cars on tracks and better overall lighting, overall looking closer to GT, even if PD still outclasses everyone else in lighting realism.

Yeah, PCars looks significantly better than FM5, overall it's remarkable because it has realtime lighting/weather, AA, AF while FM5 has none of these, also PC has3 times the amount of cars on tracks and better overall lighting, overall looking closer to GT, even if PD still outclasses everyone else in lighting realism.

But Forza 5 is a launch title and runs at a rock solid 60FPS.
I think Forza 6 will look better than PCars, now that the devs had some time with the final hardware.

Top Bottom