• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Yiazmat

the shading/lighting/shadowing/exposure are all much worse during actual gameplay.

The LIGHTING is the same in gameplay, photomode and phototravel. You can kick and scream as much as you want, it just won't change that fact.

Gameplay

proxy.phpimagehttp3a2z2u3l.png

Photomode (slightly different time of day)

goodwoodhillclimb2014dku5n.jpg

--

Photo Mode

willowspringsinternatuyuqi.jpg

Photo Travel

gemasolar_441ubg.jpg

benzy

Forza 5 replays are different from gameplay. I'm not sure exactly what changes but it's certainly more detailed in replays than it is in gameplay.

Can you do a comparison? Take a capture from gameplay and then do it again from the same view in replay.

Noobcraft

Gameplay on top, Replay on Bottom (They look pretty much identical, so my bad lol. The top pic reflection is missing the flag, but that's because the flag is moving and the timing was a little different.)
fri_may_8_22-45-48_cdr2aiu.png

fri_may_8_22-48-16_cdzbu96.png

fri_may_8_22-46-39_cdhaldn.png

fri_may_8_22-49-46_cdsiu4h.png

fri_may_8_22-50-44_cdntbm2.png

fri_may_8_22-54-57_cdixurv.png

Javin98

Banned
Which one is which?
LOL, when I first saw the images, I was thinking the exact same thing. But upon closer inspection, you can tell which is which. Still, amazing that GT6 could get so close to PCars despite running on last gen hardware. Polyphony Digital are wizards indeed.

ShamePain

Banned
I think GT7 won't beat Driveclub.

Comparing Evo's and PD's PS3 efforts I think PD has it safely in the bag, Motorstorm was 720p/30fps while GT was slightly less than 1080p/60fps, in terms of polycounts GT cars safely destroy MS', with tessellation they even destroy Forza/DC/PC, the lighting was miles better and sophisticated. I think you underestimate PD, DC no doubt look fantastic, but you can't really compete with PD, and rules that apply to other devs (30 fps better fidelity, 60 fps worse fidelity) somehow don't apply to PD. Compared to T10/SMS efforts GT again ran circles around them with Forza being 720p/60fps with much inferior car models, lighting, no night/weather, noAA, noAF and generally poor shader work, NFS Shift1/2 were 720p/30fps with drops and again was generally lower quality than GT5/6 in terms of visuals and even ran better on 360 than ps3, which is no surprise because western devs are more familiar with DirectX and most of the time don't the resources to spend a ton of time optimizing for Sony's own APIs. Not to mention that DX has a massive performance overhead compared to sony's basic API, which is why 360 while having better GPU couldn't match ps3 best visuals. Maybe that will change when DX12 is introduced.

benzy

Gameplay on top, Replay on Bottom (They look pretty much identical, so my bad lol. The top pic reflection is missing the flag, but that's because the flag is moving and the timing was a little different.)

Yeah, I think at most replays add depth-of-field and motion blur in the replay camera angles. Everything else is the same though with no differences in actual gameplay angles.

Just to clarify, gt on ps3 was not full 1080p nor was it a true 60fps. I dont expect gt on ps4 to better driveclubs visuals. Pcars on the fastest pcs available cant even come close

ShamePain

Banned
Just to clarify, gt on ps3 was not full 1080p nor was it a true 60fps. I dont expect gt on ps4 to better driveclubs visuals. Pcars on the fastest pcs available cant even come close

It's not true 1080p but it's higher than 900p for example. So it's already running at higher res than PCars on Xbone. PCars on the fastest PCs looks hardly better than GT6 photomode as shown on screens above.

It's not true 1080p but it's higher than 900p for example. So it's already running at higher res than PCars on Xbone. PCars on the fastest PCs looks hardly better than GT6 photomode as shown on screens above.

im not taking away anything from GT6, i just think its over rated. the comparison to evos motor storm series for example. the later entries in that series were 720p/30 because the environments were huge and dynamic with particle effects everywhere. driveclub is also supremely impressive and under rated. go play pcars on an r265 with the best settings you can manage without ever dropping below 30 fps and see how it looks compared to driveclub. evos work from a graphics standpoint is top notch.

ShamePain

Banned
im not taking away anything from GT6, i just think its over rated. the comparison to evos motor storm series for example. the later entries in that series were 720p/30 because the environments were insanely dynamic with an incredible weather system. maybe the best after driveclub.

I don't know, to me MS always looked kinda muddy in regard to assets and IQ, the drops to 20s didn't help, and overall visually I didn't feel like it stood out even in comparison to multiplatform racers.
And I didn't say that DC is not impressive, it is, but it's a launch game at heart and I feel that GT7 will blow it away easily given PD's track record.

I don't know, to me MS always looked kinda muddy in regard to assets and IQ, the drops to 20s didn't help, and overall visually I didn't feel like it stood out even in comparison to multiplatform racers.
And I didn't say that DC is not impressive, it is, but it's a launch game at heart and I feel that GT7 will blow it away easily given PD's track record.

GT7 may well look better realisticly and run at a higher frame rate, but there's no chance it will beat it technically. I think that's the way it has always been with the GT series, when comparing to Forza in past for eg.

Artistically it will be borderline photo realistic is my guess.

the particle effects in motorstorm apocalypse are super high quality, thats a huge drain on perf. even on an overclocked titan x, bf4 framerates can tank from 120+ to <10 with effects quality at ultra. the particles in the motorstorm series are as good as those in bf4.

DriveClub came with my PS4, and after downloading 10GBs of patches and updates this week, I finally got to play it. Game looks a bit...muddy? On the very first race, depending on where the car's shadow was being cast, it looked like it was hovering above the road, lol.

TEH-CJ

Banned

I dont get it. Am I the only one that thinks PC looks miles better than DC??

DriveClub came with my PS4, and after downloading 10GBs of patches and updates this week, I finally got to play it. Game looks a bit...muddy? On the very first race, depending on where the car's shadow was being cast, it looked like it was hovering above the road, lol.

Are you referring to the first race in the career mode ( hatchback I think it is). If so, play a single player race with weather on, it's where it really shines and looks like a totally different game.

Are you referring to the first race in the career mode ( hatchback I think it is). If so, play a single player race with weather on, it's where it really shines and looks like a totally different game.

Yeah. I had a go at a night race and it looked really nice. Unfortunately, I have to wait until tomorrow to actually sit down properly with the game, but upon first impression I was a little disappointed.

Umm, are you sure? Those are definitely GT trees in the top picture, and better roads/details but worse vegetation in the top pictures make me suspect all the top pictures are GT.

GT6 is the bottom, you can even see the GT logo on the top right corner.

ShamePain

Banned
the particle effects in motorstorm apocalypse are super high quality, thats a huge drain on perf. even on an overclocked titan x, bf4 framerates can tank from 120+ to <10 with effects quality at ultra. the particles in the motorstorm series are as good as those in bf4.

The particle effects are more impressive in GT6 as well, full volumetric smoke that is affected by wind and track lighting/shadows, it looks very similar to what Nvidia was pushing with PhysX in Mafia 2 for example and to this day its by far the most impressive smoke in any racer.

ShamePain

Banned
GT7 may well look better realisticly and run at a higher frame rate, but there's no chance it will beat it technically. I think that's the way it has always been with the GT series, when comparing to Forza in past for eg.

Artistically it will be borderline photo realistic is my guess.

GT is way beyond any Forza from the technical point of view, I don't know what you mean. Hell, GT6 has tessellation that makes cars way smoother than PC/FM/DC already on 10 year old hardware, the smoke effects also plain embarrass all of those as well. I think you underestimate what PD can do with 10 times more memory and GPU power, unless they suddenly decide to not push graphics as much as they did in the past GT will always be the best looking racer of it's respective generation. I don't expect the trend to change, but only time will tell.

GT6 is the bottom, you can even see the GT logo on the top right corner.

the top picture is 100% project cars. foliage in that game is unmistakeable

The particle effects are more impressive in GT6 as well, full volumetric smoke that is affected by wind and track lighting/shadows, it looks very similar to what Nvidia was pushing with PhysX in Mafia 2 for example and to this day its by far the most impressive smoke in any racer.

what? by comparison, gt has almost no particle effects. they fill your screen constantly in motorstorm apocalypse. theres fire, explosions, buildings collapsing all producing smoke, fire and debris particles all the time.

ShamePain

Banned

what? by comparison, gt has almost no particle effects. they fill your screen constantly in motorstorm apocalypse. theres fire, explosions, buildings collapsing all producing smoke, fire and debris particles all the time.

Not super impressive considering drops to 20s and massively downgraded vehicles/environments and shadows in comparison to Pacific Rift.

nOoblet16

GT6 has a lot of particle effects, especially in rain levels though. But it's actually less than GT5 from what I believe.
Not super impressive considering drops to 20s and massively downgraded vehicles/environments and shadows in comparison to Pacific Rift.

Incorrect, Motorstorm 3 was rock solid 30FPS, also the resolution of alpha effects in GT6 were much much lower than Motorstorm (which honestly used extremely good looking alpha effects for its time and digitalfoundry even commented on how sharp it looked), I am not taking away anything from either game but it is what it is, GT6 was aiming a higher framerate at a higher resolution sacrifices were to be made and it's amazing what they achieved on PS3...and that's what makes me wonder because Project Cars despite being on a much more powerful machine isn't showing improvements that is proportional to the increase in power.

ShamePain

Banned
GT6 has a lot of particle effects, especially in rain levels though.

Motorstorm 3 was rock solid 30FPS, also the resolution of alpha effects in GT6 were much much lower than Motorstorm, I am not taking away anything from either game but it is what it is, GT6 was aiming a higher framerate at a higher resolution sacrifices were to be made and it's amazing what they achieved on PS3...and that's what makes me wonder because Project Cars despite being on a much more powerful machine isn't showing improvements that is proportional to the increase in power.

Yeah, I agree, both devs made sacrifices to achieve their vision. PCars is not showing a big leap because 1.It's fairly low budget compared to GT 2. It was originally a crossgen game(still is considering it's coming to wiiu) 3. SMS' technical proficiency is not really in the same ballpark as PD

GT6 has a lot of particle effects, especially in rain levels though.

Incorrect, Motorstorm 3 was rock solid 30FPS, also the resolution of alpha effects in GT6 were much much lower than Motorstorm (which honestly used extremely good looking alpha effects for its time and digitalfoundry even commented on how sharp it looked), I am not taking away anything from either game but it is what it is, GT6 was aiming a higher framerate at a higher resolution sacrifices were to be made and it's amazing what they achieved on PS3...and that's what makes me wonder because Project Cars despite being on a much more powerful machine isn't showing improvements that is proportional to the increase in power.

forgot to mention, theres tons of dynamic real time lights everywhere in motorstorm apocalypse. none of these things are free. also, motorstorm apocalypse runs at 1280x1080

Bydobob

You're not alone at all, though I think the difference is small and complicated by the fact they probably set out to achieve a slightly different aesthetic. In keeping with their game styles, PCars is more natural looking, whereas DC seems to exaggerate the colours and lighting more, sometimes coming off as slightly cartoony.

On a technical level (and sticking with the PS4 version for a fair comparison) it's also deeply impressive that PCars looks as good as it does considering the much greater number of cars and AI it has to push around at a (probably) higher framerate. I say probably because PCars fluctuates a fair bit and no-one knows what kind of numbers an unlocked Driveclub is pushing.

Noobcraft

^ As far as the unlocked frame rate question goes it is interesting to think about. Forza 5, Driveclub, and Forza Horizon 2 are really difficult to drop frames in during actual gameplay so they are either really well optimized to their target frame rates or just have a lot of overhead. I would guess the former though, as you can make at least driveclub and horizon 2 drop frames in Photomode with multiple vehicles on screen. I think in both those cases the game is just really good at keeping the amount of assets on screen at the optimal level to not drop frames (Photomode in both bumps up LOD models in multiple car situations), so I would guess they wouldn't run that close to something like 60 fps if unlocked, but probably somewhere in the upper 30s.

Javin98

Banned
Although I disagree, I understand it when people think PCars looks slightly better than DC. But miles better? I don't see how you can say that when the shading, foliage and lighting of DC are on another level from PCars.

le-seb

^ As far as the unlocked frame rate question goes it is interesting to think about. Forza 5, Driveclub, and Forza Horizon 2 are really difficult to drop frames in during actual gameplay so they are either really well optimized to their target frame rates or just have a lot of overhead. I would guess the former though, as you can make at least driveclub and horizon 2 drop frames in Photomode with multiple vehicles on screen. I think in both those cases the game is just really good at keeping the amount of assets on screen at the optimal level to not drop frames (Photomode in both bumps up LOD models in multiple car situations), so I would guess they wouldn't run that close to something like 60 fps if unlocked, but probably somewhere in the upper 30s.
But LOD would not be bumped in game, because Photomode in these games is trying to achieve a bit more than what the engine are able to do in real time.
So, it doesn't really tell anything about what their framerates would be during gameplay if unlocked.

Seeing that weather effects put a 20-30 fps hit to pCARS' framerate, it wouldn't be crazy to assume that the weather effects in DC or FH2 have a somewhat similar cost, and so that they could probably run 20-30 fps higher without the effects, so anywhere between 50-60 fps.

Yes, both games from Turn10 and Evolution Studios, as they're exclusive titles to their respective platforms, are probably well more optimized than pCARS can be on the same platforms. But in the meantime, we could also argue that the weather effects in DC - I especially think of the droplets physics simulation on the windscreen - are much more demanding*, and would hit the framerate more.

* I hereby acknowledge the fact that the water sprays are certainly very demanding and are going all in in pCARS, whereas they are toned down in DC. But I'm taking my 20-30 fps drop in pCARS from the DF video where we can see that happening on a wet track with no cars ahead, so no water sprays to render.

Although I disagree, I understand it when people think PCars looks slightly better than DC. But miles better? I don't see how you can say that when the shading, foliage and lighting of DC are on another level from PCars.

foliage? really
But l also think, that lighting looks in driveclub more realistic
3CgMHV.jpg

mhayze

You're not the only one, I think it looks a lot better. I can see people comparing GT pics to real life photographs, and saying "it's BARELY better, and I bet the next version of GT will look miles better, given their track record".

Top Bottom