• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Javin98

Banned
Here's a shot of the foliage in DC that I got from this thread. There are even better looking ones, but it will take too long to look. Credits to Benzy for this shot
unccgo.jpg

You are literally quoting a driveclub screenshot with bad looking foliage.
And I just found one with great looking foliage. You can easily find bad spots in ANY game.

Are some reflections on cars in PCars baked?
I watched this comparison and at 0:35 for example the reflection on the car in PCars looks pretty baked to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtjD7Spitu0

Edit: @Noobcraft A lot of trees are 3D structure(trunk and branches) and 2D foliage applied to it(leaves n stuff).
Only the trees far away seem like they're entirely 2D
Its still the best looking foliage in any racing game.

Tripolygon

Banned
^ the vast majority of Driveclubs foliage is 2D sprites with shaders applied to them. That willow tree in the gif is almost entirely 2D sprites.
https://youtu.be/BAnV1DUHMAo
Is that suppose to mean it isn't impressive or doesn't look good? The vast majority of driveclub foliage looks that good and i find it funny when people use that same screen shot like it detracts from the overall game. Another thing i find funny is even this crappy foliage in driveclub looks better than the foliage in most racers.

Noobcraft

Is that suppose to mean it isn't impressive or doesn't look good? The vast majority of driveclub foliage looks that good and i find it funny when people use that same screen shot like it detracts from the overall game. Another thing i find funny is even this crappy foliage in driveclub looks better than the foliage in most racers.
I didn't call it crappy or say it doesn't look good. Driveclub has foliage that is well suited for a linear racing title. It is the best utilization of 2D sprites for foliage I've seen in a game, but those trees would look absolutely awful in a traditional 3D game like The Witcher 3 or Forza Horizon 2 where you have more freedom to move around.

Javin98

Banned
I didn't call it crappy or say it doesn't look good. Driveclub has foliage that is well suited for a linear racing title. It is the best utilization of 2D sprites for foliage I've seen in a game, but those trees would look absolutely awful in a traditional 3D game like The Witcher 3 or Forza Horizon 2 where you have more freedom to move around.
Well, at the very least, Driveclub doesn't use 2D crowds :p Jokes aside, I think it's fair for games to "cheat" to get some assets to look good as long as it doesn't ruin the experience.

Tripolygon

Banned
Driveclub is a linear (idk what that means) racer as Project Cars, Forza and GT, Assetto Corsa. What is a traditional 3D game, or do you mean open world game in which case there are tons of 2D sprites in Forza Horizon 2.

FH2 uses tons of 2d grass and guess what? It works perfectly while driving through it. It looks like shit when in photo mode swinging the camera around but really, who cares?

I love how we've gotten to the point where foliage and vegetation are points of concern in racing games. RC PRO AM am cry. All the racers this Gen look great!

Forza Horizon 2 also uses 2D foliage, just lower quality than Driveclub.
In fact FH2 uses the usual method where you just cross two flat textures.

We could really use some screenshot of FH2 foliage and trees in here.

I love how we've gotten to the point where foliage and vegetation are points of concern in racing games. RC PRO AM am cry. All the racers this Gen look great!
Well, this is graphics face of thread. A place to discuss everything about racing game graphics, including foliage.

Tripolygon

Banned
I'm not much of a racing game fan but i own a few. I've been playing project cars on amateur settings (Asus ROG Laptop) for the past few days and i'm enjoying it, but foliage, vegetation and track side details should absolutely matter especially this gen with relatively powerful consoles and monstrous PCs being sort of the norm. That is one thing i enjoy in Driveclub.

Not my screenshot but this looks beautiful.

DRIVECLUB20150505204.jpg

Noobcraft

Forza Horizon 2 also uses 2D foliage, just lower quality than Driveclub.
In fact FH2 uses the usual method where you just cross two flat textures.

We could really use some screenshot of FH2 foliage and trees in here.
I'm heading out of town, but here's a link to pretty much every screenshot I've ever taken on my Xbox lol. Feel free to dig through and post anything you want, I should have some shots of foliage in there. Note some of them aren't typical (glitched out of the map for out of bounds shots, etc.)
https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr Noobcraft/screenshots

Tripolygon

Banned
Sprites or not, these don't hold a candle to the other examples in this thread.
They look better than PCars to me.

Edit: I'm playing PCars on high texture, medium track, high environment, medium grass. Frame rate is not the most stable at this setting but i'm playing fine.

I'm heading out of town, but here's a link to pretty much every screenshot I've ever taken on my Xbox lol. Feel free to dig through and post anything you want, I should have some shots of foliage in there. Note some of them aren't typical (glitched out of the map for out of bounds shots, etc.)
https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr Noobcraft/screenshots

Thanks, found some.
Most are are bit to dark or foliage to far away or obscured by heavy motion blur though.

I think these show the tree foliage quite good:

Test:
Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Niks

Last gen was all about how many polygons each developer could cram on their cars.. We've gotten to a point where no matter the game, the cars all look amazing.(inside and outside)

This Gen will be all about who does environments, trackside detail and atmosphere effects the best. That includes foliage, wet reflections, rain, fog, dust, smoke etc.

Tripolygon

Banned
Last gen was all about how many polygons each developer could cram on their cars.. We've gotten to a point where no matter the game, the cars all look amazing.(inside and outside)

This Gen will be all about who does environments, trackside detail and atmosphere effects the best. That includes foliage, wet reflections, rain, Snow, fog, dust, smoke etc.
Did someone say rain?
DaringMetallicBovine.gif

Yep. thats nice. Gran Turismo 6 also has this nice effect. I think DC misses a similar thing, at least I haven't seen it in DC yet.

Edit: Found example:
iyiyVcdQtZ9XZ.gif

Anybody know if DC has something like that?

Yeah, this is great. Wish there were stills of it so I could see how it works. Anyone have any?

Javin98

Banned
Thanks, found some.
Most are are bit to dark or foliage to far away or obscured by heavy motion blur though.

Test:
Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png
While these should look good in motion for an open world game, the foliage is far behind DC's. Still good for an open world game though.

ShamePain

Banned
Yeah, the trees in Forza5/Horizon2 are absolutely fucking awful. For those with open world excuse look at trees in GTA V, it's infinitely better. In Forza it's basically X-trees not far from what we've seen in the ps2 days.

Thanks, found some.

Test:
Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Horizon 2's foliage is beautiful. It's insane how much there is of it, and the draw distance of the foliage is great for an open world game. In density it's completely unmatched.

HTupolev

GT5's smoke was sooooo goood. You could cover the entire track in smoke when drifting.
It's lit well and doesn't spike performance that badly, although it's also ridiculously low-res, and isn't upscaled and blended back into the image with good awareness. Objects in front of big alpha effects in GT5 resultantly look as though they're being rendered at like 270p.

T.O.P

Banned
Project Cars in game, can't even max the game but holy damn it already looks amazing

pcars2015-05-0923-53-3pyaa.png

pcars2015-05-1000-39-d5kzh.png

pcars2015-05-1000-36-b1jmz.png

Bit of shame that the off track details aren't really on par tho

VanWinkle

foliage? really
But l also think, that lighting looks in driveclub more realistic
3CgMHV.jpg

That's by far the worst Driveclub screenshot I have ever seen.

Surely that couldn't be intentional, right? ;)

^ the vast majority of Driveclubs foliage is 2D sprites with shaders applied to them. That willow tree in the gif is almost entirely 2D sprites.
https://youtu.be/BAnV1DUHMAo

That's how it is in almost every racing game, though. So it's not really worth saying, since it's a huge step up from the 2D foliage in other games.

Noobcraft

That's by far the worst Driveclub screenshot I have ever seen.

Surely that couldn't be intentional, right? ;)

That's how it is in almost every racing game, though. So it's not really worth saying, since it's a huge step up from the 2D foliage in other games.
Yeah it works well for track based racers, and Driveclub certainly has the best implementation of that particular method of any current racer. Driveclub has pretty awesome foliage, but I am less impressed by the fact that it is kinda cheating to get the fidelity they wanted.

Yeah, the trees in Forza5/Horizon2 are absolutely fucking awful. For those with open world excuse look at trees in GTA V, it's infinitely better. In Forza it's basically X-trees not far from what we've seen in the ps2 days.
Do you really consider them not far from PS2 level graphics? I mean Forza Horizon 2's foliage isn't necessarily amazing and it can be rough around the edges (though in motion it can look pretty great), but PS2 level?
Screenshot-Original.png

pb5bl1jklpq5dp0nxlkr.gif

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr Noobcraft/video/1935523

I really wanted to post this because waiting around for daytime in Forza can get boring lol. Seizure Warning?
https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr Noobcraft/video/1935525

I am playing PC maxed out on my 970 and Drive Club is easily in a different league. No shame in admitting it.

AC is the best sim, PC the best package, DC the best arcade racer. (IMO)

Do you really consider them not far from PS2 level graphics? I mean Forza Horizon 2's foliage isn't necessarily amazing and it can be rough around the edges (though in motion it can look pretty great), but PS2 level?

It's a massive exaggeration for sure. The foliage in the game is clearly current gen standards.

Driveclub looks beautiful. I always have to keep in mind that it's 30 fps on a linear track when comparing it to PCARS and FORZA 5 which are 60 fps. I wonder how much more juice TURN10 could squeeze out of Forza if they only had to generate half the frames.

PCARS is a mix as it's linear and tries to hit 60 fps but doesn't always achieve it. It's impressive what they were able to put together for a game that had to be Kickstarted! All three games are great fun. At this stage DriveClub's lighting is god tier and comes at the expense of frames. The delay did them a world of good.

VanWinkle

Yeah it works well for track based racers, and Driveclub certainly has the best implementation of that particular method of any current racer. Driveclub has pretty awesome foliage, but I am less impressed by the fact that it is kinda cheating to get the fidelity they wanted.

Doesn't Forza Horizon 2 have 2D foliage? I seem to recall it does, and that's not a track-based racer. It's the norm. Polygonal foliage just isn't very viable yet.

Noobcraft

Doesn't Forza Horizon 2 have 2D foliage? I seem to recall it does, and that's not a track-based racer. It's the norm. Polygonal foliage just isn't very viable yet.
It has 2D grass and the trees are standard trees as seen in normal 3D games so they do have 2D bits that form the canopy but they don't follow the camera around so they have depth.

Please let me know where on the GTA V map I can find a forest as dense as FH2's

Top Bottom