• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

ShamePain

Banned
But Forza 5 is a launch title and runs at a rock solid 60FPS.
I think Forza 6 will look better than PCars, now that the devs had some time with the final hardware.

It might, but I wouldn't count on it unless they've completely rewrote their engine, which is a bit too much to ask considering 2 year dev cycle.
As for performance again PC would probably have double the current framerate if you cut out real-time lighting, people in general underestimate just how much processing time it requires.

ShamePain

Banned
As for GT7 I think the gap will only widen. Remember that ps3 had worse GPU than 360 and separate memory pools, yet still GT5/6 completely decimate Forza 4 from the technical point of view, hell even Forza 5. For GT7 they have advantages all around, much better GPU, better memory, better API that even gives more CPU power to devs compared to upclocked Xbone variant. All around PD is better set to deliver unseen graphics quality, raw power + PD engineers will blow minds if they push ps4 to the same degree they did with ps1/2/3.

ShamePain

Banned
Where you getting that info?

PCars and Metro devs. SMS said they needed the 7th core on Xbone to mitigate some bottlenecks while Ps4 didn't have any issues, Metro dev said that an entire CPU core can be loaded just by assigning draw calls which only took a tiny fraction of CPU time on ps4.

ShamePain

Banned
He's probably basing it off of Project Cars/what the devs said, but that info contradicts Ubisofts CPU benchmarks.

Those same benchmarks that said CELL is more powerful than PS4's CPU? In some specific scenario that might be the case, but games don't work like that.

Noobcraft

Those same benchmarks that said CELL is more powerful than PS4's CPU? In some specific scenario that might be the case, but games don't work like that.
To be fair the Cell was a beast. Even Naughty Dog had a bit of a go at porting TLOU to the PS4 because of the CPU differences.
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022186/Parallelizing-the-Naughty-Dog-Engine

On a bit of an unrelated note, I think it would be cool to have a screenshot comparison thread for all current gen titles. Post a screenshot from a game and someone else with a different platform (or even a different game) could try to match the screenshot for comparison.

Noobcraft

The console picture thread has the same car from Forza 5,Project cars PS4 and from myself Project cars Xbox one.
Yeah that's why I thought about it. I quoted it on the last page, and it worked out really well. I think the concept of having a thread for it could work if there was a good set of rules to follow.

Pjsprojects

Yeah that's why I thought about it. I quoted it on the last page, and it worked out really well. I think the concept of having a thread for it could work if there was a good set of rules to follow.

Ah yeah,didn't see that. Very good idea but how to stop it turning into a pissing contest?

Noobcraft

Ah yeah,didn't see that. Very good idea but how to stop it turning into a pissing contest?
That's the question lol. People are generally pretty good at following thread rules if they are strict enough. The rules would probably have to include something like:
*This thread is intended to be informational and to promote positive discussion about the differences found in various titles and methods approached when studios create them.
These are the rules:
1. Try to avoid posting inflammatory comments, trolling, or drive by posting. The goal of the thread is to compare the differences in games between modern consoles and/or PC versions/settings in the same game. Saying "Wow that game looks terrible" doesn't add anything meaningful to the discussion. Something like "I think they could've done a better job with a different antialiasing solution" would be acceptable.

2. If you want to request a comparison, try to include any relevant information that would be helpful for someone trying to match the shot.

For example:
fri_may_8_00-42-28_cd6yuvz.png

"This is a gameplay shot of Forza 5 taken on the Nurburgring GP circuit (6:45AM) in a Pagani Huayra not far from the starting line. I would like to see similar shots taken in Project Cars"

3. Feel free to be creative with your comparisons, but try to make them reasonable. Comparing a loaf of bread in Ryse to a hamburger in Battlefield Hardline isn't necessarily the best comparison. Trying to match PC output with a console counterpart (same resolution, graphics settings, etc) and measuring the framerate on PC is acceptable, but try not to turn it into a "My PC is so good it runs games at 4k/120fps and owns your console" thing. Posting High, Medium, and Low settings for a title to compare the differences is also acceptable.
^ Something like that.

benzy

^ From the screenshot thread were nice enough to share gameplay screenshots from the PS4/Xbox One versions of Project Cars for comparison.

Project Cars:
PS4 - JackAubrey:
Project%20CARS_20150508100811.jpg

Xbox One - Pjsprojects:
islJVhM5azEbd.png

Forza Motorsport 5:
fri_may_8_00-42-28_cd6yuvz.png

GT6 - Benzy:
gt6in-gameykudn.png

Still incredible to see GT6 be comparable to both while sporting a 24h time change on that Spa.

gt6-timehxq5dxcsu3.gif

Hopefully we'll get a more stationary pic of ps4 pcars since the car is moving at 3 km/h probably giving that blur.

Noobcraft

Still incredible to see GT6 be comparable to both while sporting a 24h time change on that Spa.

gt6-timehxq5dxcsu3.gif
Yeah GT6 has some serious stuff going on behind the scenes. I never got a shot to play it (my PS3 ylod'ed around or shortly after it came out) but I spent enough time with GT5 to know that Polyphony has some serious talent.

benzy

Yeah GT6 has some serious stuff going on behind the scenes. I never got a shot to play it (my PS3 ylod'ed around or shortly after it came out) but I spent enough time with GT5 to know that Polyphony has some serious talent.

I think mine is about to ylod. Takes 2 attempts to even turn it on. Hoping GT7 makes a showing at E3 and I can finally forget my ps3. I think I only have around 5 or 6 games for it, 3 of them GTs.

Yeah I used to regularly alternate sessions of GT6 between Assetto Corsa and other racing games
I'm almost ashamed to say Codemasters :|

GT6 never looked as clean for me as the shots and gifs here have suggested. Foliage was always dithered to hell and back again, and in the actual playing of it using cockpit view in 1080p meant getting used to framerate drops on a regular basis.

Its a technically impressive game all the same, but it wasn't a consistent one, nor a clean one.

GT6 never looked as clean for me as the shots and gifs here have suggested. Foliage was always dithered to hell and back again, and in the actual playing of it using cockpit view in 1080p meant getting used to framerate drops on a regular basis.

Its a technically impressive game all the same, but it wasn't a consistent one, nor a clean one.

This, pretty much. I personally find Forza more impressive (or I guess technically competent?) because they play it safe. They do introduce massive graphical boosts, but they don't overstep their mark, and they keep it at 60 constantly. I can't think of any other game that keeps 60 so well.

Solal

Exactly. GT6 has a terrible IQ and framerate... The game is still very impressive in so many ways... but PD sacrificed way too much for eye candy.

As for GT7 I think the gap will only widen. Remember that ps3 had worse GPU than 360 and separate memory pools, yet still GT5/6 completely decimate Forza 4 from the technical point of view, hell even Forza 5. For GT7 they have advantages all around, much better GPU, better memory, better API that even gives more CPU power to devs compared to upclocked Xbone variant. All around PD is better set to deliver unseen graphics quality, raw power + PD engineers will blow minds if they push ps4 to the same degree they did with ps1/2/3.

I think GT7 won't beat Driveclub.

GT7 will most likely target 60fps. How on earth could it compete with something that on average has 2x the rendering time.

You people have crazy expectations.

Holy shit

It has to be said though that you never really experience visuals like this in GT6. It can be amazing looking at times, but as is so often the case with GT, it's really inconsistent and can look downright goddamn awful in places. I wish they could just be at their best all the time. The inclusion of standard cars is like a metaphor for the entirety of their design philosophy now.

Korezo

GT5 was graphically better to me was cleaner had better cockpit shadows and weather effects. I just tried GT5 on the Spa driving a GTR and the game still looks amazing.

Yiazmat

GT7 will most likely target 60fps. How on earth could it compete with something that on average has 2x the rendering time.

You people have crazy expectations.
And yet GT5/6 looks better than almost any 30fps racer on ps3 while doing alot more under the hood, that logic just doesn't work with Polyphony.

And even if they are not able to compete in certain areas (like polycount), they will still have the best lighting engine and IMO that's the most important thing to make a game look good.

This is what they were doing in 2007:

ghcxxr_Prologue---Ahrweiler-2.gif

mxzvkx_Prologue---Kyoto.gif

8 years and one generation later and only Driveclub comes close to that sort of natural realistic lighting.

And yet GT5/6 looks better than almost any 30fps racer on ps3 while doing alot more under the hood, that logic just doesn't work with Polyphony.

And even if they are not able to compete in certain areas (like polycount), they will still have the best lighting engine and IMO that's the most important thing to make a game look good.

This is what they were doing in 2007:

ghcxxr_Prologue---Ahrweiler-2.gif

8 years and one generation later and only Driveclub comes close to that sort of natural realistic lighting.

thats not at all how the game actually looks. by that same token, forza 5 should be judged by the visuals in autovista

Yiazmat

thats not at all how the game actually looks. by that same token, forza 5 should be judged by the visuals in autovista

I was talking about lighting there and as opposed to Forza Vista, GT Photo Travel still has the same lighting and shaders as the rest of the game.

Crayon

GT6 is the only one I have played very little of. I only tried it finally when they fixed that unforgivable camber bug. Reading this page has inspired me to pop it in and now im waiting on what appears to be a gigabyte of updates. Ha.

benzy

it really doesnt

Looks like the same lighting engine to me.

gt6goodwoodshorteroblba.gif

Only difference I notice is some phototravel locations have baked tree shadows on the environment, while other travel places have real-time lighting/shadow changes. Car lighting especially looks pretty much identical.

Sipheren

Banned
I grabbed some screens, I don't know how to hide the car in pic mode, so I took one them just in bumper cam.

GT6
gt6photo18nlr0.jpg

pCARS - Ultra
pcars-nurburgp18.jpg

GT6
gt6photo2ahxdu.jpg

pCARS - Ultra
pcars-bathurstp2.jpg

GT6
gt6photo371u3k.jpg

pCARS - Ultra
pcars-bathurstp371.jpg

pCARS Road Texture
pcars-bathurst-texture.jpg

PD are very good at getting the lighting to look just right.

benzy

the shading/lighting/shadowing/exposure are all much worse during actual gameplay.

Not seeing it man. Exposure will just depend on the camera position in relation to the sun and shadows. The overly brightness also happens in phototravel. I actually find the lighting on Goodwood more impressive.

phototravel
phototravekcx1r.jpg

Goodwood hillclimb track
goodwoodhillclimb20140sxol.jpg

goodwoodhillclimb_2smk3u8b.jpg

Not seeing it man. Exposure will just depend on the camera position in relation to the sun and shadows. The overly brightness also happens in phototravel. I actually find the lighting on Goodwood more impressive.

phototravel
phototravekcx1r.jpg

Goodwood hillclimb track
goodwoodhillclimb20140sxol.jpg

goodwoodhillclimb_2smk3u8b.jpg

it would be a better comparison if you stopped posting tiny screens

There are varying tracks with different levels of quality. I believe the initial talk was that phototravel lighting isn't in-game, but Goodwood is a showcase that it is. :p

Even in those tiny pics, the lighting of the photo mode is clearly better. I was just posting those images so people see what gt6 looks like during actual gameplay. People keep posting photoshots

benzy

Even in those tiny pics, the lighting of the photo mode is clearly better. I was just posting those images so people see what gt6 looks like during actual gameplay. People keep posting photoshots

We've posted a couple of gameplay GT6 shots some pages back, and everyone's been comparing gameplay to gameplay or photomode to photomode (outside of PC pCars vs photomode).

I actually have some in-game 720p GT5&6 saved as well. Photomode doesn't enhance the lighting, but the supersampling makes everything look more crisp and much better though.

gt6in-gameykudn.png

gt6in-game2gis99.png

gt6comparein-game4mslp.jpg

gt5in-game10aysqp.jpg

gt5in-game5r0s5r.jpg

gt5in-game27wast5.png

gt5in-game6hls6k.jpg

gt5in-game7z5sao.jpg

gt6granturismo6_168tioosbv.jpg

We've posted a couple of gameplay GT6 shots some pages back, and everyone's been comparing gameplay to gameplay or photomode to photomode (outside of PC pCars vs photomode).

I actually have some in-game 720p GT5&6 saved as well. Photomode doesn't enhance the lighting, but the supersampling makes everything look more crisp and much better though.

All of those images you posted are either photomode or replay mode, none are actually in game.

Top Bottom