• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Johann

Any guesses what will happen?

Neogaf Pokeball?
Believe!?
500 - Internal Server Error?
Ostrich Hammer?
Summons Evillore? (For some anti-Dennis Dyack action!)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
You know, has anyone tried spawning "starite" for a level they're stumped on? I mean...

Hootie

Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

2zrooi0.gif
2zrooi0.gif

2zrooi0.gif
2zrooi0.gif

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
MirageDwarf said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/05/hands-on-scribblenauts/

:O

EDIT: Wait, does Feep work for Joystique? There's an account just like his in their preview, only they mention making a frickin' ROBOT DINOSAUR to take the zombies on with instead.

Johann said:
Any guesses what will happen?

Neogaf Pokeball?
Believe!?
500 - Internal Server Error?
Ostrich Hammer?
Summons Evillore? (For some anti-Dennis Dyack action!)

Floating head of Samuel L. Jackson, natch.

Jackson - since WB is publishing, have you asked if you could be allowed to used licensed material from them? However, when I read through what IP and franchises Warner Bros owns, it would have to be saved for a sequel, since there are just too many (I wonder how many people would just try to have Scooby-Doo vs. Superman?) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros#Warner_Bros._Franchises).

Can we maybe see a sequel to Scribblenauts on the Wii one day, with customized item creators (where you can set up attributes - even more attributes - and create items), level designer (with attributes such as gravity, jumping speed, toggling item categories if they allowed in a level or not, and the like), flags and event triggers and customizable level goals? I can't wait for Scribblenauts, but I believe that all of the hard work for the database could be easily used for a foundation for something even -more- ambitious. Little Big Scribblenauts.

Another bug he found: an elephant picked up a bazooka with its trunk and started firing wildly. Oh my GOD. That's a bug?! Leave it in!

I agree - that should be left in.

joetachi

SovanJedi said:

EDIT: Wait, does Feep work for Joystique? There's an account just like his in their preview, only they mention making a frickin' ROBOT DINOSAUR to take the zombies on with instead.
It even has time travel so i dont know if he doesnt work for them its obvious they got that from here.

Ramenman

We need a GAF viral campaign of some sorts. Do you remember someone made a comic template when it was first announced, with main character writing something on the first panel and having it materialize on the second one?
I think it was "Next Metal Gear" and a soda can materialized. It could easily be reused at will.

But I can't find it anymore :(

Another level placed a pool of water with a shark inside between us and the Starite. While a few options may have allowed us to circumvent the shark-infested waters, we all decided to take him out. I tried dropping a sword on its head pointy-side down, but it bounced harmlessly off its thick hide. I then dropped a hair dryer into the water with more electrifying, fruitful results.

Chris attempted to drop dynamite into the water, though the splash extinguished the fuse. He then threw waterproof C Four into the water, effectively recreating the ending of Jaws. J.C. created a Kraken, which fought with and ultimately bested the shark.

Andrew created a teleporter in an attempt to instantly apparate to the Starite -- instead, it took him to a medieval world where he was besieged by shadowy assassins. He tried distracting them with candy -- really, Andrew? -- then created a fairly anachronistic nuke. The nuke didn't detonate, however, so andrew created a laser rifle to take out the assassins. One of his lasers grazed the aforementioned WMD, and blew up the entire level.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--- YET ANOTHER QUOTE TO ADD TO THE HYPE THREAD'S OP D:

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Yeah, Warner Bros. should let you use their entire back catalogue of franchises as things to summon. Sure it's not going to please everyone, but I would love to see Bugs Bunny kick the shit out of Yogi Bear, or give Tom and Jerry all the dynamite, laser guns, mines, frying pans, cutlasses, shotguns and bombs they could ever need.... Not that there is really any more reason for me to love this game already. <3

Something for the sequel perhaps, a la the Spongebob Drawn to Life game?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
-WindYoshi- said:
Old? Feep's post #1 at gaming reddit.
That's awesome.

This is probably the only time I've ever felt a sincere urge to go out and tell people about this game. I really want to compile all the awesome videos into one big game demo ad, put it on YouTube, and just hand out links to it.

I work for a small import gaming company, and I travel all over the US for various game shows and stuff, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to do some viral marketing for this game. Scribblenauts LIVES.

Jackson

webrunner said:
Why the name "Scribblenauts"?

There appears to be one singular scribblenaut and you dont scribble to do anything.

You can scribble letters into words. Keyboard is just faster (just like in real life!) :lol

And its plural because everyone who plays is a Scribblenaut!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So did GAF make it into the game because we've just soiled our collective pants over it or is there something else to it? Are we just special, or is GameFAQs in there too?

Also, typing this made me wonder what typing 1up would do. Site ref or mario ref?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Jedeye Sniv said:
So did GAF make it into the game because we've just soiled our collective pants over it or is there something else to it? Are we just special, or is GameFAQs in there too?

Also, typing this made me wonder what typing 1up would do. Site ref or mario ref?

I think it's safe to say Feep's impressions rocketed this thread and NeoGAF to star status. Before that, I was having trouble keeping it afloat on the first page even with all the previews. :lol

Cipherr

Bernbaum said:
"A date which will live in infamy"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt, December 8, 1941​

"One Small step for (a) man, one giant leap for all mankind"
-Neil Armstrong, July 20, 1969​

"I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES"
-Feep, June 4, 2009​

:lol :lol :lol

joetachi

if you google ''I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. '' you find out that his impressions are spreading all over the web.:lol

Ferrio

Banned
I think Feep needs to be in Scribblenauts.

A timemachine should appear and he should come out riding a dinosaur.

joetachi

Man im really starting to really go nuts after reading this impression
Objects also have behaviors attached to them. Watering cans can drip water, jetpacks can fly, shrink rays can reduce the size of other objects. Write Velociraptor and Stegosaurus, and watch the raptor get an easy lunch against that herbivore. Bring a werewolf in and watch him pass his lycanthropy to an innocent human.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
EviLore, change the title of the thread please.

Something with "I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES." in it somehow.

Splat

Just FYI:

God beats nearly all enemies, including giant crabs, cthulhu, and einstein. Zombies however, turn God into zombie God. :-D

Mike M said:
So if you write "Scribblenaut" does another Maxwell appear?
that's what I was wondering too! and does this other scribblenaut also scribble in whatever he wants? Scribble-clone pullin' in crazy stuff at the same time as you?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Splat said:
Just FYI:

God beats nearly all enemies, including giant crabs, cthulhu, and einstein. Zombies however, turn God into zombie God. :-D
This game gets better with each new post about it, sweet jesus. :lol

Feep

Banned
Splat said:
Just FYI:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom