• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix shows WITCH CHAPTER 0 [cry] Luminous Engine demo [DX12, 4 Titan, Screens]

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
You know, I'm honestly not sure what happened to the "technology" as far as Square Pictures is concerned. I'm not even sure if the studio was ever viewed as an asset in that aspect by the parent company, as opposed to a business venture into Hollywood production/distribution. Maybe someone else knows more about this?

Alright thanks. I always thought of Visual Works as the spiritual-successor of Square Pictures so I'm glad you corrected to me :)

Agni's Philosophy (Luminous Engine) looks really good; I'm hoping the next Final Fantasy has visuals or a setting that resembles to what was shown in this, and the previous trailer.

Squire

Banned
Impressive, but entirely impractical in the near future.

There was some interview comparing FFXV and Agni's philosophy in the Luminous engine. Essentially the message was that while Agni could run real time on even the ps4 the assets were totally unsuitable for a game and that attempting any game with that fidelity was well beyond the realm of feasibility any time soon.

Well, yeah. If you have an "unlimited" polygon budget for hair, you'd expect that to be the case.

This is exactly what I was thinking when the dude started talking about the hair. It's not happening.

Koozek

Whether you believe him or not is up to you but Verendus mentioned that he has seen FFXVI and the lead is a male character.

What, I basically stalk Verendus' post history on a regular basis and I never heard of the male lead thing in regards to the medieval FFXVI he talked about a few times. Got a link?^^

Durante

Impressive, but entirely impractical in the near future.
Practical shmactical, I don't care, it's awesome.

Whether you believe him or not is up to you but Verendus mentioned that he has seen FFXVI and the lead is a male character.
*sigh*

Can someone clever tell me why 8K textures and the high number of polys being pushed in each scene are possible on DX12 but not DX11?
The 8k texture part is simply a lie. There's a somewhat better point to be made about the polygon count, though when it's something purely GPU-bound like hair I don't know how much DX12 really contributes.

Square Enix can't release a tech demo of anything without people thinking it's going to be their next Final Fantasy game.

Well, it doesn't help that the full title for AP is "Agni's Philosophy: Final Fantasy Realtime Tech Demo". Even if it doesn't become a real game, it's stil explicitly branded as Final Fantasy and not original "franchise".

DOWN

Banned
Is she supposed to look fake? She doesn't look like a real person, more like her features have that FF stylization. I hope that's intentional and not a botched attempt at realistic.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They're working on something else too.

While there is a Project 2 listed on their site, I think that's part of the "Deus Ex Universe" of interconnected games.

They do have support teams that help out their f2p titles, and some staff that work on the Shinra project, but I'm not sure they actually have another IP in house anymore.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why does this crying face look 10x more realistic in real time than Serah's ugly crying face in FF13-2 in CGI, done by visual works on a set up probably 10 to 12 times more powerful than this?

(or something like that, i don't know how strong SE's render farm CGI computers are)

dramatis

Yooo, FFVII HD tech demo

it still burns
You didn't like the PS Experience presentation? Soak in it forever.

Then they should stop making tech demos that are more interesting and fascinating and original than the games they actually do give us.
I didn't find the concept for Agni particularly interesting or fascinating.

Why does this crying face look 10x more realistic in real time than Serah's ugly crying face in FF13-2 in CGI, done by visual works on a set up probably 10 to 12 times more powerful than this?

(or something like that, i don't know how strong SE's render farm CGI computers are)
Maybe bad motion capture or if not motion capture the animators did a bad estimation of what a decent crying face would look like. But yeah, the crying Serah CG was terrible.

tuxfool

Banned
This is the type of tech that's usually researched for future generations way in advance and to see if they can bring anything back at a lower quality level to current consoles.

Oh, of course. Agni's philosophy (the earlier demo) already runs on a ps4 and it is an interesting demo. But you can't make a game that will look like it as of now. Likewise, even in the future once this demo could run on a single mid range gpu, you'd never have the processing budget to splurge on a single character.

Using a system with 4 Titan X gpus certainly allows one to test dx12 and the requisite draw calls, but it also puts it in the same category as something like Star Swarm. But I'd be damned if I didn't say that an FF game based on this concept is utterly intriguing.

duckroll

While there is a Project 2 listed on their site, I think that's part of the "Deus Ex Universe" of interconnected games.

They do have support teams that help out their f2p titles, and some staff that work on the Shinra project, but I'm not sure they actually have another IP in house anymore.

I wonder if Square Enix will ever make another original IP AAA game again. Lol.

Koozek

I thought that project was confirmed dead

That died and the studio is only on Deus Ex now. Japanese-Western relations are hard even within the same company.

Are you talking about FF Fortress which they wanted Eidos to handle after Grin's bankruptcy, or another one? If former, then there's still a chance that they're working on another one based on Agni :p
SE confirmed that Fortress was cancelled in 2011 and in 2013 SE stated in an interview again that there could someday be an Eidos-developed FF.
www.gamespot.com/articles/eidos-dev...-says-lighting-returns-director/1100-6415818/

BadWolf

What, I basically stalk Verendus' post history on a regular basis and I never heard of the male lead thing in regards to the medieval FFXVI he talked about a few times. Got a link?^^

Sorry I don't, it was from before the PS4 launched iirc.

A quick search did find this though in regards to FFXVI from him:

Already on the way. The concept of it is also quite unique. It will certainly be something that hasn't been done before in Final Fantasy, if they manage to accomplish it. I'd put it in the back of your mind for now though, as I would personally expect FF15 and KH3 to be out before it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62950021&postcount=1215

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are you talking about FF Fortress which they wanted Eidos to handle after Grin's bankruptcy, or another one? If former, then there's still a chance that they're working on another one based on Agni :p
SE confirmed that Fortress was cancelled in 2011 and in 2013 SE stated in an interview again that there could someday be a Eidos-developed FF.
www.gamespot.com/articles/eidos-dev...-says-lighting-returns-director/1100-6415818/
They had a new IP that was fairly heavily rumored to once upon a time be the Final Fantasy title that was hinted at in that interview, but the new IP got canned.

Genio88

Maybe PS6 and Xbox 5 will achieve that graphics at 4k 30fps...of course it will take about 10 years but better than nothing

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Square Enix's publication segment will take over and deliver new IP's!

*crickets*

At least we got Fullmetal Alchemist from it

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Oh, of course. Agni's philosophy (the earlier demo) already runs on a ps4 and it is an interesting demo. But you can't make a game that will look like it as of now. Likewise, even in the future once this demo could run on a single mid range gpu, you'd never have the processing budget to splurge on a single character.

Using a system with 4 Titan X gpus certainly allows one to test dx12 and the requisite draw calls, but it also puts it in the same category as something like Star Swarm.

Its true, but that's how SE has always worked. They've always used their visual works CGI's skills per se to learn how to model their characters in game, once they were at a fidelity in the PS2 era to actually render characters with approximate fidelity. That's how FFX got motion capture, how FF13 got well choreographed cutscenes, and how FF15 has high end models even on console that look like this

final-fantasy-15.png

Yeah, its only in limited situations for the above, but the modeling is directly taking the high end rendering approach and applying it to a lower scale.

Koozek

Sorry I don't, it was from before the PS4 launched iirc.

A quick search did find this though in regards to FFXVI from him:
Already on the way. The concept of it is also quite unique. It will certainly be something that hasn't been done before in Final Fantasy, if they manage to accomplish it. I'd put it in the back of your mind for now though, as I would personally expect FF15 and KH3 to be out before it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62950021&postcount=1215

Ohh, nice. Thanks! Didn't remember that one. Can't wait to see it (E3, if FFXV comes out before June, or TGS next year, I guess).

Koozek

They had a new IP that was fairly heavily rumored to once upon a time be the Final Fantasy title that was hinted at in that interview, but the new IP got canned.
Woah, okay. Never heard of that. Were do you know from? Kagari implied this, too, a few days ago when I talked about a new Eidos-developed FF. I suppose from an insider, no?

EDIT: Okay, found an article about it: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/unannounced-eidos-montreal-game-cancelled-report/1100-6415883/

duckroll

At least two CG artists worked on both The Spirits Within and FFIX, but I think it was as part of "Square USA", not Square Pictures itself.

Behrooz Roozbeh: http://www.rooz3d.com/final-fantasy/
Jake Rowell: http://www.jakerowell.com/index_flash.html

Yup, and in addition to that, they mainly worked on the pre-rendered backgrounds, not the CG FMV. Since Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy IX were co-developed at Square USA, many of those game assets were created there. I believe the game movies themselves were all produced in Japan - which was what would eventually become the Visual Works department.

Sanctuary

New graphical engines are great and all, but it's time to go back to actually putting gameplay before graphics, and only using graphics to enhance what's already there. And no, I'm not talking about "indie" stuff here.

This is something that's been missing too often over the past decade, and SE is one of the biggest offenders lately.

Top Bottom