• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaTheCasual

Good god how can people compare PS4 images to the old trailers and say "downgrade"

Of course the consoles can't look as good as the PC version, I will be VERY surprised if it doesn't look like the footage on the PC versions when completely maxed out and .ini tuned.

Some of you guys is crazy.

Lets wait until launch and see how the PC versions performs... I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of crow eaten.
wtzgU.gif
You honestly think that the PC day one patch is going to put the game's environment back up to 2013 levels?... Really?

CHC

Honestly they look extremely similar, with some SweetFX tweaking I'm sure the PC version could be made to look like the demo image.

The REAL downgrade going on is the absence of the serf hanging out in that barn door, though, I'm gonna be looking for that dude.

Salaadin

You honestly think that the PC day one patch is going to put the game's environment back up to 2013 levels?... Really?
The whole point is that the ps4 version is missing features that the pc version will have but right now we don't really know how much of a difference they'll make. To compare the old shots to the inferior ps4 version and claim it as proof of a downgrade is just foolish.

This isn't me saying that a downgrade didn't happen but I'd much rather wait two days to find out.

Zomba13

The whole point is that the ps4 version is missing features that the pc version will have but right now we don't really know how much of a difference they'll make. To compare the old shots to the inferior ps4 version and claim it as proof of a downgrade is just foolish.

This isn't me saying that a downgrade didn't happen but I'd much rather wait two days to find out.

"Features" like 1080p and 60FPS.

KoopaTheCasual

But we've seen PC footage, just not "maxed" even though it was "ultra". I don't think assets are going to appear/change at this point, and for the poster I originally quoted to confidently say people will "eat crow" is laughable.

ColdSpike

Banned
This really doesn't seem like a Watch_Dogs or Bioshock Infinite bad, both promised innovative gameplay mechanics and, with the exception of the DLC for Infinite, both failed. Well, the DLC in infinite wasn't innovative, but it toned stuff down to where it was almost what they had initially sold to us at E3.

But, my point is this does not seem like something to complain over or focus on. If the game works, if its fun and mostly looks fine, cool.

But we've seen PC footage, just not "maxed" even though it was "ultra". I don't think assets are going to appear/change at this point, and for the poster I originally quoted to confidently say people will "eat crow" is laughable.

But people aren't complaining about assets in that screenshot selection- they are complaining about LOD and HBAO. Two things the PC version does add.

Sanctuary

I watched the gamersyce PS4 Videos and the game looks really good, but that foliage is really really turning me off in some points. Sometimes it looks like a 2D setup :(

It's not just the foliage. The architecture quality is all over the place too. Some of it is very well done, while much of it on the outskirts of the cities looks like last minute props made of cardboard. There's zero bump mapping or depth to the textures and it just looks like simple polygons with wallpaper on top of it.

Fabian (CD project): No. We made quite early clear that we are developing 'both' versions independently. We started on PC and have a sepperate team and an own development for PC. Effects that does not work on consoles,are still being kept on PC. There are features on the PC, which does not exist on consoles. These include the 60 fps, Hairworks, the draw distance, the resolution. On a good PC you have the best version of The Witcher 3. The PC version looks better on such a PC as on consoles.

CDPR PR, the shovel that keeps on digging. It's amazing that they graced us with the standard features of playing a typical PC version of a game too. We should feel so grateful for that!

it doesnt look BAD, but theres certainly nothing impressive about it. theres several open world games that look much better. looks like a middle of the road gen 8 multiplatform title.

From those screenshots I really don't think that the Witcher looks better than DA:I, but I am expecting it to be a better game. 45 more hours!

Skyzard

Banned
The flat and plain ground texture on the left side of the screen is really something.

Yeah...it can't be right...unless that's like really bad lighting for grass or something...

Fixed the link. Beware of the germans.

That's what he said alright, well according to google translate anyway, he says:

I have a few pictures on Flickr rumfliegen ( PNG Warning )

Is 1440p and Ultra , only Hairworks , motion blur and Chromatic aberration are from ...

Ich hab ein paar Bilder auf Flickr rumfliegen (PNG-Warning)

Ist 1440p und Ultra, nur Hairworks, Motion Blur und Chromatic Aberration sind aus...

RedSwirl

Just as CDP admitted, the final game will look inconsistent overall. Some of those shots (along with others we've seen) look breathtaking. Others look average. I'm sure if the 2013 build had been made more widely available, similarly flawed parts of it would come to light.

dEvAnGeL

im not one to pick about graphics but man looking at these comparisons is difficult to deny that the game definitely looks different, i would not go as far to say the game is ugly but it does looks less attractive than when it was shown the first time

Just as CDP admitted, the final game will look inconsistent overall. Some of those shots (along with others we've seen) look breathtaking. Others look average. I'm sure if the 2013 build had been made more widely available, similarly flawed parts of it would come to light.

I'm starting to think the 2013 actual game built would have looked even less like the trailers, like those were their own thing and the game was another.

Gbraga

Looks quite awesome to me. I do somewhat agree with the "too colorful" post, though. I remember watching the Killing Monsters CGI trailer and getting very excited for the overall tone and atmosphere of the game based on that, and it's indeed quite different.

But I still think it looks amazing, even if not as amazing as it would otherwise.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It shouldn't be. The 280x silicon is actually a very minor revision over the 7970. Though the performance benefits are only apparent in some synthetic.
Oh don't get me wrong. It's just a very minor 2-5% difference in the 7970 Ghz edition's favour. But the numbers don't lie.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1201&page=17

Edit: Seems the R9 is a tiny teeny bit faster in certain situations. I guess the comparison is bunk and outside variables might've affected performance.

tuxfool

Banned

Easy_D

never left the stone age
^^ Holy crap at the moon picture. Love the use of colours in the game, glad they changed the colour balance

Skyzard

Banned
vlcsnap-2015-05-17-03jksin.png

vlcsnap-2015-05-17-034nsu1.png

vlcsnap-2015-05-17-039pstm.png

vlcsnap-2015-05-17-03vzsd6.png

One spot I noticed in a 2013 gameplay trailer was that you can see the low quality grass assets in a spot too (it's the same when he gets close to it).

Grass is fine here:

vlcsnap-2015-05-17-030bsvo.png

But then immediately infront and on the right:
vlcsnap-2015-05-17-03z0svt.png

Anyway, it's a huge difference vs these, which are ultra and 1440p from the flickr source earlier:

baqhpu3.jpg

ounfotD.jpg

3xq0UZv.jpg

It's the lighting too.

If it had that grass (which Dragon Age Inquisition had if not better and that lighting...which wasn't too bad in DA:I either...then that would be something.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are people still expecting mystery visual overhauling ultra settings or something?

BreakableBeneficialGerenuk.gif

Damn at some of these shots. Like some of the shit is so damn blatant.

The game could definitely look better.

im not one to pick about graphics but man looking at these comparisons is difficult to deny that the game definitely looks different, i would not go as far to say the game is ugly but it does looks less attractive than when it was shown the first time
Yep

DOWN

Banned
This doesn't look particularly good, but some of the other shots in that account:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127773964@N03/sets/72157652536729480

look incredibly good. I highly recommend people take a look at those. I would post some of these to abload.de for everybody to see but I don't really want to step on the authors toes.
The world doesn't look much graphically different than Assassin's Creed Black Flag in most shots.

Are people still expecting mystery visual overhauling ultra settings or something?
Yeah, there's people in this thread saying judging isn't allowed until the game has officially released in case the patch fixes the game. Gonna patch it back to 2013 in some people's minds.

vlcsnap-2015-05-17-03jksin.png

vlcsnap-2015-05-17-034nsu1.png

vlcsnap-2015-05-17-039pstm.png

vlcsnap-2015-05-17-03vzsd6.png

One spot I noticed in a 2013 gameplay trailer was that you can see the low quality grass assets in a spot too (it's the same when he gets close to it).

Grass is fine here:

vlcsnap-2015-05-17-030bsvo.png

But then immediately infront and on the right:
vlcsnap-2015-05-17-03z0svt.png

Huge difference vs:

baqhpu3.jpg

ounfotD.jpg

3xq0UZv.jpg

It's the lighting too.

If it had that grass (which Dragon Age Inquisition had if not better and that lighting...which wasn't too bad in DA:I either...then that would be something.

its amazing that people think the only diff is color temperature and sharpening.

edit - oops, forgot about TOD

The notion that they were going to pack every inch of a massive open world game with the density seen in the early footage is completely laughable looking back.

Yep. Totally gonna have a whole forest that looks like that. Honest truth guys.

Skyzard

Banned
Night lighting, the bane of many a game developer.

Yep, like this:

vlcsnap-2015-05-17-04lurlo.png

vlcsnap-2015-05-17-04msojb.png

And right at the start after the "may be inappropriate for children warning":
vlcsnap-2015-05-17-041bpk9.png

Are we getting the undowngraded "no downgrade, no downgrade!", uncompromised pc version that we were told?

DOWN

Banned
The notion that they were going to pack every inch of a massive open world game with the density seen in the early footage is completely laughable looking back.

They'd have many of us fooled into thinking they got very close if they hadn't fucked up the art, kept great motion blur, and kept the higher contrast.

I'm convinced after reading countless posts and seeing countless screenshots this shit got downgraded to hell and modders will fix what they can while cdpr counts green.

disappointed but I understand it had to be done to make the game great on consoles. game still looks great. guess I'll give it a 2nd play through once modding and color palette progress is significant.

Is that really that hard to achieve on PC though? I mean what's going on there that would be so demanding? The shaders, lighting through the foliage? I assume you mean quality of assets+density. I think most mid to high end could pull it off. Shaders are lacking but even an indie game like The Forest has already shown a nice density of trees and foliage with good lighting. Maybe not up to part with those W3 shots but it seems like if cdpr had more time/resources they could've pulled it off.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm convinced after reading countless posts and seeing countless screenshots this shit got downgraded to hell and modders will fix what they can while cdpr counts green.

You're making it sound as if they don't deserve any money after making a 100+ hour game, regardless of how it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom