• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 20, 2015

BKK

I meant I wasn't sure what it means when they don't mention it i.e if it's still included or not. But apparently not.

Hmm... I thought GfK data included bundled games?

GfK is just the parent group, individual businesses they own such as GfK Chart-Track or GfK Media Control each have their own long standing methodologies. So there's not really any standard GfK methodology, it varies depending on the country.

No German charts posted yet?

I see this question get asked nearly every week. It's actually very easy to get the charts; mediabiz.de have for years had a free three week trial. You just need an address, postcode (hotel address will do), and an email address (temporary ones work, so it's simple to sign up again after three weeks). You then also have the added benefit of Top 100 instead of Top 50. Incidentally, they recently released the annual 2014 Top 100.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Kirby released last week wut?

I thought it was a Q4 release for Ninty; how bizarre, I mean it's not as if the game is text heavy...

Lucreto

Since we have to wait another day for the charts how about we guess the split between PS4 and Xbox One versions of The Witcher.

My guess is 60:40 in favour of PlayStation.

BKK

Here's steam LTD owners (not necessarily all sales) through saturday according to steamspy;

Grand Theft Auto V: ~2,380,000

PAL Sales:

RU: 11.67% = ~278k
UK: 7.28% = ~173k
DE: 5.86% = ~140k
SE: 2.81% = ~67k
FR: 2.79% = ~66k
AU: 2.43% = ~58k
NO: 1.55% = ~37k
ND: 1.54% = ~37k
DK: 1.23% = ~29k

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt: ~430,000

PAL Sales:

RU: 16.44% = ~71k
DE: 7.07% = ~30k
UK: 6.29% = ~27k
FR: 4.36% = ~19k
AU: 3.44% = ~15k
NO: 2.48% = ~11k
SE: 2.34% = ~10k
FI: 1.33% = ~5.7k
ES: 1.24% = ~5.3k
ND: 1.06% = ~4.6k

QaaQer

Here's steam LTD owners (not necessarily all sales) through saturday according to steamspy;

Grand Theft Auto V: ~2,380,000

PAL Sales:

RU: 11.67% = ~278k
UK: 7.28% = ~173k
DE: 5.86% = ~140k
SE: 2.81% = ~67k
FR: 2.79% = ~66k
AU: 2.43% = ~58k
NO: 1.55% = ~37k
ND: 1.54% = ~37k
DK: 1.23% = ~29k

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt: ~430,000

PAL Sales:

RU: 16.44% = ~71k
DE: 7.07% = ~30k
UK: 6.29% = ~27k
FR: 4.36% = ~19k
AU: 3.44% = ~15k
NO: 2.48% = ~11k
SE: 2.34% = ~10k
FI: 1.33% = ~5.7k
ES: 1.24% = ~5.3k
ND: 1.06% = ~4.6k

Lots of Rus gamers? or Ru keys being sold elsewhere?

TW3 prediction:

PS4 54%
XB1 41%
PC 5%

I know TW3 is a PC franchise, but given how low the PC retail market usually is, I'm not expecting much from it.

Hasney

26/May/2015
Bandai Namco replace one No1 with another as ‘The Witcher III: Wild Hunt’ replaces ‘Project Cars’ at the top of the All Formats chart.

In terms of sales it smashes the week 1 sell through of ‘Battlefield Hardline’ by 53% to become the biggest debut week for a title in 2015 so far. It matches the debut position of ‘The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings’, but ‘Witcher III’ also delivers an increase of 608% on the week 1 sales of its 2012 predecessor. Available across three formats, PS4 is the clear winner taking a 63% share.
At No2 and technically a re-entry having already been available on PC, ‘Farming Simulator 15’ adds four new formats to its roster propelling it into second spot. Developer Giants Software adds PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions for the first time. Having passed 5 million sales in the UK a few weeks ago ‘Grand Theft Auto V’ (+23%) shows no sign of slowing down and holds No3 for a second week. A strong boost in sales for ‘FIFA 15’ (+49%) sees it climb two places to No4 above last week’s No1 ‘Project Cars’ (-56%) which slips to No5 in its third week. ‘Wolfenstein: The Old Blood’ (-34%) is down four places to No6 following its No2 debut last week. Retailer bundles deliver a massive increase to ‘Bloodborne’ (+286%), leaping 22 places to just outside the Top 10 at No11.

I'm guessing there's a slightly big gap between 1 and 2 on the combined charts. Would love to know the PC share on W3 though, number 3 just at retail is pretty damn impressive even for a predominantly PC franchise.

- 1 THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT PS4 BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT
- 2 THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT XB ONE BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT
- 3 THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT PC BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT
5 4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V PS4 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2
- 5 FARMING SIMULATOR 15 XB360 FOCUS HOME INTERACTIVE KOCH MEDIA
1 6 PROJECT CARS PS4 BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT
- 7 FARMING SIMULATOR 15 XB ONE FOCUS HOME INTERACTIVE KOCH MEDIA
2 8 WOLFENSTEIN: THE OLD BLOOD PS4 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
32 9 BLOODBORNE PS4 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.
- 10 FARMING SIMULATOR 15 PS4 FOCUS HOME INTERACTIVE KOCH MEDIA
9 11 GRAND THEFT AUTO V XB ONE ROCKSTAR TAKE 2
6 12 MORTAL KOMBAT X PS4 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
3 13 FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD REMASTER PS4 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
8 14 MORTAL KOMBAT X XB ONE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
11 15 MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT
10 16 WOLFENSTEIN: THE OLD BLOOD XB ONE BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
25 17 FIFA 15 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
4 18 PROJECT CARS XB ONE BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT
7 19 HALO: THE MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION XB ONE MICROSOFT MICROSOFT
14 20 DYING LIGHT PS4 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
17 21 BATTLEFIELD HARDLINE PS4 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
23 22 BATTLEFIELD HARDLINE XB ONE EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
- 23 FARMING SIMULATOR 15 PS3 FOCUS HOME INTERACTIVE KOCH MEDIA
- 24 POKEMON WHITE VERSION 2 DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
19 25 FIFA 15 PS4 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
13 26 DYING LIGHT XB ONE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
12 27 FORZA HORIZON 2 XB ONE MICROSOFT MICROSOFT
15 28 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE XB ONE ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
22 29 DESTINY XB ONE ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
26 30 FIFA 15 XB ONE EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
18 31 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.
20 32 TERRARIA XB360 XBOX 360 CLASSICS 505 GAMES
21 33 DESTINY PS4 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- 34 GRAND THEFT AUTO V PS3 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2
29 35 MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION XB ONE MICROSOFT MICROSOFT
33 36 THE SIMS 4 PC EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
30 37 GRAND THEFT AUTO V XB360 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2
31 38 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION PS4 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.
24 39 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE PS4 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
16 40 KIRBY AND THE RAINBOW PAINTBRUSH WII U NINTENDO NINTENDO

panda-zebra

Nobody really anywhere near with those split guesses

Since we have to wait another day for the charts how about we guess the split between PS4 and Xbox One versions of The Witcher.

My guess is 60:40 in favour of PlayStation.

First prediction the closest?

Klart

A 63% share for PS4 is huge. And that's just the UK. Just imagine what that should be for the whole of Europe...

Hasney

Can someone help me with my maths on this? I think I'm right, but it seems large considering the current market...

According to the news post, it sold 608% more than the Witcher 2's 2012 debut, which will be the 360 release rather than the original PC.

Going by this PAL chart thread, FIFA Street 2 sold ~15k and a story on MCV says it did double that, so 30k.

30k * 7.08 = 212.4k, so Witcher 3 sales will be ~212.4k

The Witcher 3 had a ton of console bundle offers last week for the PS4, so not a massive surprise.

I mean it is when you factor in how heavily it was marketed for X1 and at the new console price of £299...

That's a disastrous split for MS. they couldn't even manage 40%...

Percy

Banned
Wow... was sure Witcher XB1 would edge a slight lead due to a PS audience having no prior connection with the series at all... or MS' heavy marketing if nothing else but the PS4 version really stomped it for some reason. Possibly people being aware XB1 is the worst version of the game could have played a part here at least?

Hasney

Wow... was sure Witcher XB1 would edge a slight lead due to a PS audience having no prior connection with the series at all... or MS' heavy marketing if nothing else but the PS4 version really stomped it for some reason. Possibly people being aware XB1 is the worst version of the game could have played a part here at least?

There's more PS4s out there. The massive marketing push probably made everyone who likes gaming aware of it so they could look into it, see it's for the console they own and buy it. On top of that, despite MS's marketing, the PS4 had the better Witcher 3 bundles for anyone looking at a new console to play it.

DrWong

What does this mean? Activation not on steam, only GOG?!

It means they're not Steam games: one comes with its own DRM/account system (Rockstar) on top of the Steam one when you buy on Steam and you can buy it as a Rockstar DRM only version. The other is also sold DRM free on GOG and other online stores.

test_account

XP-39C²
The Witcher 3 had a ton of console bundle offers last week for the PS4, so not a massive surprise.
I dont think bundles stands for a big share of the purchase in week 1 for big games like this. I would guess that the majority of sales comes from people who already owns the systems.

It means they're not Steam games: one comes with its own DRM/account system (Rockstar) on top of the Steam one when you buy on Steam and you can buy it as a Rockstar DRM only version. The other is also sold DRM free on GOG and other online stores.

Thanks.
I was wondering how it explains the strong RU focus. But it probably results from cheaper prices and different vendors apart from Steam.

Wow at that Witcher split. That's a disaster for MS. These splits recently for the big games have been heavily lopsided towards PS4. Despite MS being cheaper and having games bundled in, it's not aiding it in software splits.

Hasney

Wow at that Witcher split. That's a disaster for MS. These splits recently for the big games have been heavily lopsided towards PS4. Despite MS being cheaper and having games bundled in, it's not aiding it in software splits.

They were the same price last week, £300 for a console and Witcher 3 while Sony had some better value bundles where you could get Bloodborne or GTA V + 3 months Plus for an extra £20.

Looking at Game, either they've responded or MS has. XBox 1 with Witcher 3, Ori, COD:AW, AssCreed Unity, Watch Dogs and Forza 5 for £340 isn't too shabby at all.

sam777

I dont think bundles stands for a big share of the purchase in week 1 for big games like this. I would guess that the majority of sales comes from people who already owns the systems.

True but it helps a lot when you can get a PS4 and The Witcher for £280.00.

pswii60

PS4/XB1 ratio confirmed to be 2:1.

Wish digital sales were included so we could get a better idea of split between console and PC.

That said, isn't TW3 £49.99 on Steam? It's also a big download. So I'm not surprised at the higher than usual retail presence in the charts for PC (at #3).

eFKac

X1 owners are waiting for fable while ps4 owners are starved for games ;-).

Yeah apparently lol.

What happened To Fable Legends anyway? Wasn't it supposed to be a spring title?
Xbox exclusives for first half of the year is a barren wasteland really.

Top Bottom