• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Second western release incoming

It didn't help Final Fantasy: Four heroes of light, which is basically Bravely Default Zero in all but name.

Almost paradoxically, being a new I.P. almost certainly helped the game.

That was a Matrix game, Bravely is made by Silicon Studios. I could be mistaken but I don't think they have any connection.

Edit... aside from Yoshida art.

Glass Rebel

Neat. I loved Bravely Default and spent almost 100h in it. What's the word on Bravely Second, is it good (aside from the inferior soundtrack)?

Swamped

Banned
Woooo so much great news today!

Having said that, this probably won't be a day 1 game for me. The impressions from the import topic were generally favorable, but they did mention that a lot of content was reused. So i might wait for it to go on sale (look at me, talking as if we already have the game available in the west).

All the new jobs look so fun and imaginative though!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Given this was his position before launch:

Gematsu said:
Planning for Bravely Third, the potential sequel to Bravely Second, is already underway, according to producer Tomoya Asano.

“It might make you say ‘What?!’ given the timing, but I already have the concept for Bravely Third in me,” Asano told the latest issue of Famitsu. “If sales for [Bravely Second] are good enough, I’m planning to immediately submit a proposal. Please give me your support!”

http://gematsu.com/2015/04/bravely-...dy-planning-bravely-third#r5VYSWsduSlBphxj.99

And this is his position now:

Next, Gamer asks if the Bravely developers could share a little more on what we can expect to see next from the series.

“Hmm… yes, we’re currently thinking about whether a sequel would be more appropriate or if a completely new title would be more appropriate,” Asano replies. “This is currently a hot topic among [the development team].”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/2...e-a-completely-new-title/#XWuXd5rA7zGDtyMu.99

I take it that they weren't super thrilled with sales.

Shahed

Worst music is disappointing, but I agree based on what little I've heard from this. Lots of RPGs are ending up with worse music these days unfortunately. Ys games' music hasn't been as strong, Xenoblade X is a far cry from Xenoblade's excellent soundtrack, and Bravely Second's is a step back from Bravely Default

I thought Ys music is just as good as it's always been. Underground Ruin from Celeceta is among my favourite area themes of all time, and there are a lot of other awesome tracks like Ancient Land and more

I do agree with you overall point though. Xenoblade :(

aravuus

Yes, please. I mean sure, BD was a pretty massive disappointment in the end, but I loved the first half. BS day one.

Kouriozan

Does that mean Square Enix is doing the localization this time?
Either way, can't wait for it. I could resist and didn't spoil myself the title's secret meaning.

All reviews so far tend to say that the game is a disappointing re-hash of the first one, with a few (but welcome) tweaks.
Remember how they said that they had the choice between localising Bravely Default or Dragon Quest VII, and they chose BD

My guess is the game won't sell nearly as well as the first one. Square will think that we're not interested in 3ds rpgs anymore, and won't localise DraQue VII. Ever.

Probably going to be announced at E3, then. 3DS doesn't look like it's got much going on this holiday so that'll be a boon for Nintendo.

Rootbeer

Banned
Will buy. First game was refreshing.

Give us DQVII too while you're at it.

Or here's an idea, how about that 3DS remake of FF6 in the style of FF4 DS which seems to have disappeared. But I'm dreaming.

PaulBizkit

Day one purchase. Loved the first game, i even have The Art Of BD 2010-2013 which is a BIG-ass artbook.

I don't reaaally mind that much that bravely second has "worse" music, but i do hope that it is more varied (having only one Dungeon BGM kinda sucks).

Dark_castle

Definitely hoping they will make a brand new title instead of a sequel, ideally a console RPG in the veins of the Bravely series with fantasy setting and turn-based battle system, but now with bigger production values and new scenario writer.

Rektash

Will buy this day one most likely. Really enjoyed the first game even though it took me over a year to finish. Wasn't the biggest fan of how far they went with the battle mechanics in the end game though. Game felt like it was forcing you to abuse the shit out of the job mechanics to even stand a chance in the endgame(hard mode). Instead of challenging it just felt tedious imo. The game just threw bosses at you without anything noteworthy happening in between.

Oregano

Definitely hoping they will make a brand new title instead of a sequel, ideally a console RPG in the veins of the Bravely series with fantasy setting and turn-based battle system, but now with bigger production values and new scenario writer.

Maybe they could call it Final Fantasy or something.

Ridley327

I suppose the only question at this point is if Squenix is publishing it themselves, or Nintendo is having to hop in again. Their comments about the success of the first game would point to the former, but I'm not sure I'd stake anything on that being a certainty.

KHlover

Banned
All reviews so far tend to say that the game is a disappointing re-hash of the first one, with a few (but welcome) tweaks.
Remember how they said that they had the choice between localising Bravely Default or Dragon Quest VII, and they chose BD

My guess is the game won't sell nearly as well as the first one. Square will think that we're not interested in 3ds rpgs anymore, and won't localise DraQue VII. Ever.

Tweaked rehash of BD? That's all I need to know. Day-fucking-1

Dark_castle

Maybe they could call it Final Fantasy or something.

I'm all for it. Name really doesn't matter to me. I just want a console JRPG with old-school fantasy setting, job class, turn-based battle system, airship and world map, non-chibi character design and good production value.

Hmm. Is Square Enix publishing now that the first game enjoyed a modicum of success in the west? Or is still going to be Nintendo?

Oregano

I'm all for it. Name really doesn't matter to me. I just want a console JRPG with old-school fantasy setting, job class, turn-based battle system, airship and world map, non-chibi character design and good production value.

So not like Bravely Default then? I'd love to see Asano try to convince SE to give him the budget for a console game considering the shoestring they evidently gave him for Bravely Second.

Anyway my point is that SE already makes big budget console RPGs so I'd rather the one team still producing original handheld RPGs continue to do that.

EDIT:
Is this a new story set in the same world, or is this a continuation of the same story?

Continuation in the same world which reuses like 90% of the assets of the first game.

So not like Bravely Default then? I'd love to see Asano try to convince SE to give him the budget for a console game considering the shoestring they evidently gave him for Bravely Second.

Anyway my point is that SE already makes big budget console RPGs so I'd rather the one team still producing original handheld RPGs continue to do that.

EDIT:

Continuation in the same world which reuses like 90% of the assets of the first game.

dat hyperbole :^)

roknin

Good to see! I'm down, need to still get the first one though.

I'm so behind on shit it's just sad right now. -_-;

Trademarked in Europe!!!

Square Enix has trademarked “Bravely Second” in Europe.

The 3DS sequel to Bravely Default launched in Japan last month. It opened to 100,000 sales and has since topped 138,000.

Given the trademark, which was filed today, is so close to next month’s E3, it’s possible we’ll hear about a western release at the expo. If so, it will likely show at either Nintendo’s Digital Event or at Square Enix’s press conference. Both are scheduled for June 16.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/05/bravely-second-trademarked-europe#KlY2E8qcueLdObts.99

Never understood why you'd brand a game with final fantasy classes, final fantasy spells, summons, and monster, with a very final fantasy setting and characters and call it anything but final fantasy.

One of these days I'll even finish playing it <_<

Oregano

Never understood why you'd brand a game with final fantasy classes, final fantasy spells, summons, and monster, with a very final fantasy setting and characters and call it anything but final fantasy.

One of these days I'll even finish playing it <_<

Because no one bought Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light?

Top Bottom