• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Savage Empire a Graphic Novel (With Dinosaurs) by BISHOPTL that needs your support!

BPoole

I wouldn't want to try and sell this as a TT narrative driven title ("Allosaurus will remember that") when a key driver for me personally is an approximation of real AI. Down the road or as a separate SKU a la Tales from the Borderlands? Sure - but my focus is telling the story here in the graphic novel and allowing the player to tell their own story through non-scripted, open world events with AI interactions.

The game you're describing, while laudable, is a tertiary goal to my main priority - the comic and the AI-driven title. Just being honest. I don't want to try and trick anyone into backing something they're not aligned with, but there's room for growth.

An open world with this:
No+_42791ace707badd477df7db8f64809f8.jpg
would definitely create an interesting environment for organic/emergent gameplay scenarios. Color me interested.

Thanks for the reply

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I have a question. Where are the feathers?

I kid, awesome art. Can't wait for the potential Dino Shootbang in the future :)

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I read everything but might be missing it. Anyone know how many pages this is aiming for?
This like a 50 page thing? Or like 150?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
AI-driven simulation in an open world game's a fun idea. I had been thinking of something similar for a fantasy-style game with the AI given the ability to alter the environment to suit their needs. Obviously the dinosaurs wouldn't be building structures, but if there are any humans around, maybe that's something they could do. Everquest Next had mentioned something similar for their AI-driven systems.

shandy706

nah screw that, I just want Endless Ocean with dinosaurs now

Had to google the game.

I'd be fine with a "passive" exploration mode, but it sounds like bish wants an AI based game with active predators.

Passive playing modes, like in Minecraft would be neat though.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This is so awesome. I can't believe we're getting a Bish graphic novel.

As a serious question: Are you going for scientific accuracy? Are you making feathered dinos or going for the widespread view of dinosaurs?

Jawmuncher

June 2nd. Not kidding either. Feathers are represented.

64 pages.

I have to ask. For the human characters that are going to be in. Do any of them have red hair. The graphic novel could be a spiritual succesor for more than one series if you know what I mean. Now I also realize why you liked that one image of a fake reboot as well.

fester

Banned
Thought this was going to be related to the Worlds of Ultima game, which would have genuinely shocked me (in a good way) but this still looks pretty awesome and I support. :)

You're both firmly aligned with the groundwork that was being done on creature AI, beyond the rudimentary version introduced in T1.

Oh Bish, will you guys try to make the herbivores more dangerous than the carnivores? I think it would create a very real and yet very strange contrast just like real life where people underestimate the herbivores and tend to get killed by them more.

Like when people fight carnivores, you guys create a real sense of dread and terror. Yet you guys also create these herbivores that are harmless if you're careful, but even more dangerous if you piss them off by accident.

I don't know if this has been covered, but I'm hoping this game isn't first-person, but not a deal breaker.

calder

Will Kickstart the day it goes up. Sounds great! In fact it sounds so good I forced myself to figure out what thunderclap is smh kids today and your crowd sourcing sites about crowd funding sites I don't even. I grew up on one site, it was the library and it was all we needed!

I just pray thunderclap and ultimately Kickstarter have servers beefy enough to handle the flood of zero people my tweet will generate.

It's a one-shot. If I exceed the KS goals, what would you think about extending the page count?

The story and set up for sure sound like it could work for a larger page count. If you exceed your goals and have the material for a bit more pages I wouldn't argue!

Looks cool. Art style kinda reminds me of the new Prophet reboot (that might have ended already?), and it has the word Savage in the title which sells me on things in comics... Savage Dragon, the Savage Land in X-Men etc.

My nostalgia for old stuff like Kamandi and old Turok comics doesn't hurt either.

Matty77

If I can fit it into my budget I will back this. I have never used kickstarter before have been waiting for a unique project that appeals to my sensibilities, and I have been considering it since Bish's avatar thread, and I think a comic about dinosaurs is the right thing.

Plus if it leads to a game it's been way too long since we have had a good Dino game.

Oh Bish, will you guys try to make the herbivores more dangerous than the carnivores? I think it would create a very real and yet very strange contrast just like real life where people underestimate the herbivores and tend to get killed by them more.

Like when people fight carnivores, you guys create a real sense of dread and terror. Yet you guys also create these herbivores that are harmless if you're careful, but even more dangerous if you piss them off by accident.

I don't know if this has been covered, but I'm hoping this game isn't first-person, but not a deal breaker.

One-shot speared to death by a Triceratops that proceeds to run about with your corpse impaled on it's shielded noggin all ragdoll physics flapping in the wind. Stego tail-swipe skull-crushing decapitation in slow-mo. Brontostomps. I could see this premise.

Tizoc

I'll support it if the movie ver. of this comic will feature Sam Jackson as the protagonist.

I'll back it once I get home

Nachos

The art looks amazing, but who's doing the writing?

Oh, and I think there's a missing word in the synopsis:
Not only [are] those trapped behind the line on the other side of this chasm not being rescued, orders have been given to keep as many of those people contained until the truth can be contained.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Thanks for catching that, Nachos! You truly are the king of snacks.

And holy cow this is at 75% already with 6 days to go! Ye gods

Yes, in my earlier example I described a scenario where herbivores could spook and trample you or other potential enemies. Absolutely.

When the time comes, it'll be 3rd person, not FPS.

Lain

Contributed a tweet. I'm not big on Turok (I only played the N64 one though I had fun with it) or dinosaur stuff in general but it seems interesting if anything.

JDSN

Banned
I wish I could back the game straight away, I dont care much for comics this days. Looks like you got Adam Boyes supporting the Thunderclap, that should help a lot.

Top Bottom