• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 next patch first details - 1.05 (PC), 1.04 (console)

Yeah, the fix for the XP bug should've been an emergency hotfix. Even if CDPR's telling the truth (I doubt it...not getting 500 XP for completing some main quest is a major problem, plain and simple) about this issue "not being a big deal", most people who play RPGs are conditioned to believe that XP is pretty damn important...and it is in 95%+ of RPGs (both western and Japanese). That perception is very strong. If nothing else, fixing this in a quick hotfix would have provided peace of mind for a lot of people. CDPR once again dropped the ball from a customer relations standpoint. Their inexperience rears its head once again. They're not doing a good job of endearing themselves to their new audience and they may be jeopardizing their goodwill with some of their existing fans.

TW3 will eventually be patched up so that it runs well with few bugs on all platforms...but man CDPR has not handled this very well. They're still far better than the likes of EA and Ubisoft though.

Also, seems like there's some inefficiencies in CDPR's interdepartmental communication. I think the pressure they're under to get this game fixed up is causing them to make some ill-advised decisions in how they relay information to us. I feel a bit bad for Marcin...but then again, part of a community manager's role is to take the brunt of the heat from irritated or upset customers.

Maybe I'm crazy but I don't think recap plays for me when reloading after a death, only the initial load on PC.

Same here.

What I've observed is that recaps play when you do the initial load and when you choose a save to load after dying or from the ingame menu.
They never play when I die and choose "load last save" rather than "select a save". That's the one specific scenario without recaps for me.

Ok, that sounds right in my experience.

Zakalwe

Banned
No it's not. They lied before release consistently about the graphics then released an extremely glitched game and now broke it for a significant number of people. Then we get promised a fix by X date only to have it pushed back.

It is like paying to be a beta tester. It's disgusting.

Not to downplay the experience of those who have suffered glitches, but after 35 hours on PC the worst I've seen is a single instance of an NPC's hair being rendered a split second after it should have.

Aside from a few mechanical issues with awkward movement, I've not experienced a single glitch (including the xp bug)

The glitches and bugs may not be as widespread as people think, on a forum like this it could be making it appear more widespread than it is.

Of course, my experience may be an outlier.

Jonm1010

Banned
Not to downplay the experience of those who have suffered glitches, but after 35 hours on PC the worst I've seen is a single instance of an NPC's hair being rendered a split second after it should have.

Aside from a few mechanical issues with awkward movement, I've not experienced a single glitch (including the xp bug)

The glitches and bugs may not be as widespread as people think, on a forum like this it could be making it appear more widespread than it is.

Of course, my experience may be an outlier.

There seems to be pretty widespread complaining on not only this forum but every other gaming forum and across Twitter and the like.

These really are the sort of glitches that shouldn't be happening for anyone and unfortunately since it is, shouldn't of been rolled into some less urgent patch that is getting delayed.

You are lucky and I hope it remains stable for you.

And frankly I'm lucky, I can't imagine the console gamers that are not only endearing with this but the frame rate and loading issues as well.

epmode

an extremely glitched game.

TW3's state at launch was pretty great for such a massive, ambitious game.

Expecting games like these to be free of significant bugs at launch is only going to disappoint you. That also goes for virtually every massive, open world RPG released in the last 15-20 years.

No it's not. They lied before release consistently about the graphics then released an extremely glitched game and now broke it for a significant number of people. Then we get promised a fix by X date only to have it pushed back.

It is like paying to be a beta tester. It's disgusting.

They lied about the graphics? Give me one example of which developer in the past 10 years did not do the same.

They are going to fix the issues. No point in arguing just for the sake of arguing.

molnizzle

Potions are poisonous, limited, and do not work as well in combat (arguably). I think consumables have a fine place. In fact, they are quite required for longer quests in dungeons.

Potions are limited but they recharge every time you meditate. Which also clears your toxicity. You likely already have a huge supply of Alcohest from looting, but even if you don't you can buy it in unlimited supply from any vendor who sells it (for much cheaper than food consumables). With a few Alchemy skills they also work much better than food in combat.

I'm about 80 hours in on Death March and fully rely on Swallow for healing. Food consumables are just vendored. If you need to heal more than 3-4 times in a single fight then it's time to get gud. ;-)

Jonm1010

Banned
They lied about the graphics? Give me one example of which developer in the past 10 years did not do the same.

They are going to fix the issues. No point in arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Only one arguing is you. You didn't have to quote me. And essentially saying others did something condemnable doesn't excuse condemnable behavior.

If you are going to white knight for CDPR you might want to pick a thread that isn't primarily about a bug that has completely broken progress for the people experiencing it. Pick your battles.

Zakalwe

Banned
Only one arguing is you. You didn't have to quote me. And essentially saying others did something condemnable doesn't excuse condemnable behavior.

If you are going to white knight for CDPR you might want to pick a thread that isn't primarily about a bug that has completely broken progress for the people experiencing it. Pick your battles.

The bug hasn't completely broken progress though. If you want to get specific...

There seems to be pretty widespread complaining on not only this forum but every other gaming forum and across Twitter and the like.

These really are the sort of glitches that shouldn't be happening for anyone and unfortunately since it is, shouldn't of been rolled into some less urgent patch that is getting delayed.

You are lucky and I hope it remains stable for you.

And frankly I'm lucky, I can't imagine the console gamers that are not only endearing with this but the frame rate and loading issues as well.

Ok, but condemning them for their game having a glitch is a bit much. That's the state of modern gaming for you, release and patch as we go. Digital future, everyone's in that boat.

Fair enough regarding their responses surrounding this issue though, they should be called out for how they handle these things for sure.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm very surprised that CDPR is being so slow in fixing this issue. I know they've said it doesn't affect progress much but they have to realize that the perception of not gaining XP in an RPG is a big deal for a lot of players. They were quick in fixing other, far more minor issues.

I'm very surprised that CDPR is being so slow in fixing this issue. I know they've said it doesn't affect progress much but they have to realize that the perception of not gaining XP in an RPG is a big deal for a lot of players. They were quick in fixing other, far more minor issues.
It's taking long because they're killing many birds with one stone in one patch

Zakalwe

Banned

Yeh, if they really could have rolled out the hotfix with no issue and just chose to combine it with the patch because it was tidier (or whatever) then i don't get it at all, surely they understand this perception and the frustration it causes?

Of course, the PR could just have been poorly worded and there could be other reasons for the delay. If that's the case they really need to start paying attention to their PR speak, it's causing them a lot of issues.

It's taking long because they're killing many birds with one stone in one patch

Right, but it the XP hotfix could have been rolled out sooner without an issue then perhaps it should have been. It would certainly have gone a long way to appease their audience and garner support. From a PR perspective this would have been worth it for them.

Istaerion

Yeh, if they really could have rolled out the hotfix with no issue and just chose to combine it with the patch because it was tidier (or whatever) then i don't get it at all, surely they understand this perception and the frustration it causes?

Of course, the PR could just have been poorly worded and there could be other reasons for the delay. If that's the case they really need to start paying attention to their PR speak, it's causing them a lot of issues.

This is pretty much the crux of the issue I would say.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yeah, the fix for the XP bug should've been an emergency hotfix. Even if CDPR's telling the truth (I doubt it...not getting 500 XP for completing some main quest is a major problem, plain and simple) about this issue "not being a big deal", most people who play RPGs are conditioned to believe that XP is pretty damn important...and it is in 95%+ of RPGs (both western and Japanese). That perception is very strong. If nothing else, fixing this in a quick hotfix would have provided peace of mind for a lot of people. CDPR once again dropped the ball from a customer relations standpoint. Their inexperience rears its head once again. They're not doing a good job of endearing themselves to their new audience and they may be jeopardizing their goodwill with some of their existing fans.

TW3 will eventually be patched up so that it runs well with few bugs on all platforms...but man CDPR has not handled this very well. They're still far better than the likes of EA and Ubisoft though.

Also, seems like there's some inefficiencies in CDPR's interdepartmental communication. I think the pressure they're under to get this game fixed up is causing them to make some ill-advised decisions in how they relay information to us. I feel a bit bad for Marcin...but then again, part of a community manager's role is to take the brunt of the heat from irritated or upset customers.

Same here.

Yup. they really need to handle communicate better with their fans.

lack of hotfix is just weird and delaying the fix is even worse since this is is a massive part of the game experience, XP is an important part of any RPG that require leveling (so most of them) not getting XP make you under leveled for side quest mean it break the game.

I know many people stopped playing and waiting for the patch and few just modded the game because they can't wait and can't play while under leveled. as you said CDPR really dropped the ball on this.

Technically no, but functionally it has.
If you're talking about the XP bug, it definitely hasn't, even functionally. The actual scaling of XP wrt recommended levels, the amount of XP thrown at you and the broken skill tree make it so that you'll never effectively feel you're missing a level.

I'm saying all this as someone who's been playing on Death March from the start and was hit several times by the 0xp bug. Right now, in act 3, my biggest annoyance is that it's getting too easy (like W2).

Zakalwe

Banned
Technically no, but functionally it has.

Neither.

If you're talking about the XP bug, it definitely hasn't, even functionally. The actual scaling of XP wrt recommended levels, the amount of XP thrown at you and the broken skill tree make it so that you'll never effectively feel you're missing a level.

I'm saying all this as someone who's been playing on Death March from the start and was hit several times by the 0xp bug. Right now, in act 3, my biggest annoyance is that it's getting too easy (like W2).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Booo I literally have one quest left to do right now. I've exhausted everything else in the game, but the infinite loading bug for Lord of Undvik keeps me from going further. I sailed all over Skellige last night to the 1001 Smugglers Caches out at sea. They really phoned in all those locations. Not a single interesting thing out on the seas, just a ton of useless items and equipment.

Now I've got nothing to do until the patch comes out.

Istaerion

you people wouldnt know a bugged game if it came up and bit you on the ass
this is nothing compared to when Skyrim launched

Doesn't really excuse the fact that bugs are present which are very troublesome for a wide variety of consumers.

I mean, we may as well never find faults with anything because games way back in the day would be unplayable or just down-right horrible and patches weren't possible.

you buy a potion, it costs 1K gold. now, i cant remember which herbalist i bought it from (i bought it because i knew i was going to forget who sell it lol) but think of the best herbalists(lots of herbs, diagrams etc) you've met those should be selling it.

try with the goat herbalist, the babe in white orchid (she lives in a hut) or the dude in the the eastern side of the map (novigrad/velen) he tells you his master lives in skellege

Keira Metz sells it

Fenrisulvur

Neo Member

What level are you? My biggest concern with the XP bug isn't difficulty but moreso achieving level 35 for the trophy as I would like to platinum the game in one go as I don't have the free time to invest in a second playthrough.

Keira Metz sells it

well if he
killed her
that is not an option but there are others that sell them, ive have seen it at least on two others but i just cant remember who they were

one thing im sure though is not the crappy herbalist/alchemist sellers though, you know the ones that have like 2 herbs and some other shitty items for sale

Sayers

Has anyone figured out what the actual XP loss is? I had stopped playing because of the bug, but if the patch isn't until NEXT week on PS4, I don't think I can go another weekend without playing.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
How exactly does the XP bug manifest? I'm receiving XP from contracts/sidequests and seem to be levelling at a good rate, even on Death March. Would it be obvious if it started affecting me or is it random?

Zakalwe

Banned
That is one data point. Not enough to risk possibly screwing up your play through if his experience isn't universal.

Not read a single piece of data to suggest it has been broken functionally.

Only "no xp, it's bad" (not suggesting it isn't, btw).

Show me something that prove your point?

Jonm1010

Banned
Not read a single piece of data to suggest it has been broken functionally.

Only "no xp, it's bad" (not suggesting it isn't, btw).

Show me something that prove your point?

I am relatively early in the game. There has been no one I am aware of that has encountered the bug very early on and finished the game and been able to report they were able to max out their character still and had no ill effects. Posters have inquired about losing the ability to platinum the game. Something else still left in the air. To which no clear answer has been established and would require someone with the bug since the beginning achieving it and likely multiple people to confirm it isn't luck.

The bug has also been reported to affect players differently and too varying degrees. Others experience is no guarantee of my experience based on what I have read. So for anyone even remotely cautious of the snowball effect and unintended consequences of this bug, progression in the game is pretty much a no go. So yes, for me and many others the conclusion one has drawn is it is functionally broken.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
How exactly does the XP bug manifest? I'm receiving XP from contracts/sidequests and seem to be levelling at a good rate, even on Death March. Would it be obvious if it started affecting me or is it random?

Some people are speculating that if you complete a grey quest (quests that are way below your level for which you receive no XP) your game gets bugged and every main quest ends up giving 0XP.

I am pretty sure that this is what happened in my case. I was overleveled when I completed the first Novigrad quest and every main quest after that granted me no XP.

Staf

Some people are speculating that if you complete a grey quest (quests that are way below your level for which you receive no XP) your game gets bugged and every main quest ends up giving 0XP.

I am pretty sure that this is what happened in my case. I was overleveled when I completed the first Novigrad quest and every main quest after that granted me no XP.

Yeah, i think this is what triggered it for me. Won't get main quest exp any longer after completing Pyres of Novigrad, which at the time was gray. Reloaded to a save after Pyres, which is the oldest save i have, and i'll just have to wait for that patch to hit. Shame, running out of level appropriate side quests to do...

What level are you? My biggest concern with the XP bug isn't difficulty but moreso achieving level 35 for the trophy as I would like to platinum the game in one go as I don't have the free time to invest in a second playthrough.
I'm 28 at the end of Act 2 / beginning of 3. I jumped 4 levels in that big Act 2 quest.

I am relatively early in the game. There has been no one I am aware of that has encountered the bug very early on and finished the game and been able to report they were able to max out their character still and had no ill effects. Posters have inquired about losing the ability to platinum the game. Something else still left in the air. To which no clear answer has been established and would require someone with the bug since the beginning achieving it and likely multiple people to confirm it isn't luck.

The bug has also been reported to affect players differently and too varying degrees. Others experience is no guarantee of my experience based on what I have read. So for anyone even remotely cautious of the snowball effect and unintended consequences of this bug, progression in the game is pretty much a no go. So yes, for me and many others the conclusion one has drawn is it is functionally broken.
And I believe people are being melodramatic about this bug because the reality of the game is that it throws so much stuff at you that you'll get that experience one way or the other. This bug has been there since day one and I haven't seen a single person in the OT who reached the end game complain that they felt underleveled. It's understandably worrying in the short term but this kind of FUD isn't helping.
Again, if you spend time with the game, you'll notice that quests are greying out faster than you can do them.

Actual broken quests are effectively much more damaging than this bug.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Didn't realize the glitch has been there since day 1. May just keep going then. Level 21 on the first Skellige story quest so I have a buffer built in for progression.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm 28 at the end of Act 2 / beginning of 3. I jumped 4 levels in that big Act 2 quest.

And I believe people are being melodramatic about this bug because the reality of the game is that it throws so much stuff at you that you'll get that experience one way or the other. This bug has been there since day one and I haven't seen a single person in the OT who reached the end game complain that they felt underleveled. It's understandably worrying in the short term but this kind of FUD isn't helping.
Again, if you spend time with the game, you'll notice that quests are greying out faster than you can do them.

Actual broken quests are effectively much more damaging than this bug.
Not gonna play tit for tat over which large scale bugs and glitches are worse.

Isn't the speculation the 1.03 patch added the XP bug? Either way, speculation about its consequence is not a substitution for wide confirmation. For many, me included, I am not going to risk the possible consequences. Or for my brother on PS4 that has been playing the game almost exclusively for the main story at this point, which he too got hit with the bug.

And yeah, this sort of anger is helping. If no one was speaking up then CDPR would have no sense of urgency or little feedback that the game is having major problems.

Staf

Not sure if i should just keep on going despite suffering from the bug. Just paranoid about hitting a brick wall due to playing on death march, and i really do want to get that level 35 trophy. I've done two main quests in Novigrad and i'm level 14.

abundant

This game needed a closed beta before release. I've had 4 or 5 crashes within a week on PS4.

It probably wouldn't have helped much, this game is huge. Heck, the XP bug has apparently been there since launch but it's now just coming up a week later.

Istaerion

Has this been confirmed? Most speculation seemed to think it happened after 1.03

I experienced the issue with certain quests on launch but didn't think much of it because I just thought the quests didn't give any experience. Imagine my surprise when I learned about the glitch.

Staf

Saw this on CD project forum:

I received all my missed EXP after finishing couple main quests, I am almost at the end of game, still have couple main missions, probably 20-25% till the end. I level upped from 22 to 29, probably this bug creates some sort of delay for receiving experience.

Just finished some random contract and got level 31 instantly. Playing on ps4 patch 1.03.

That is so weird.

Zakalwe

Banned

The bug has also been reported to affect players differently and too varying degrees. Others experience is no guarantee of my experience based on what I have read. So for anyone even remotely cautious of the snowball effect and unintended consequences of this bug, progression in the game is pretty much a no go. So yes, for me and many others the conclusion one has drawns it is functionally broken.

All evidence suggests it no though, as ever single person who has finished with this big has reported being over levelled at end game.

So no, it's not functionally broken. At all.

Show me actual evidence and I'll acknowledge it.

abundant

Saw this on CD project forum:

That is so weird.

He's probably talking about the Act 2 Main Quest that locks you out of the open world for a few hours. I did it and instantly went from level 21 to level 27. That's not a glitch, they just give you an insane amount of XP during that mission.

Please do something with the floaty, over-sensitive controls.

I don't like Assassins Creed but part of it's control scheme would be very nice. IE hold X button to run, otherwise Geralt walks everywhere.

Top Bottom