• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roy (our boy) & Ryu confirmed for Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked Man

I said wow
oh yes

f2W88QB.png

Oh my god I'm so pumped. Fountain of Dreams music on the Wii U! Rhythm Heaven music! This can't come soon enough!

batfax

As cool as this is, I definitely look forward to seeing their proper reveal. The trailers should be great, especially Ryu's. Love Roy's new look too.

Kouichi

Oh my goodness the leaks!

Dude Ryu looks awesome :D He's even got a focus attack! Oh man I really hope he's released soon. I'm liking Roy's look as well. I can tell he's still similar to his Melee counterpart which is totally fine by me!

Actually this is why we need more subspace emissary stuff. I need silly cutscenes of ryu interacting with pikachu and peach.

Thats like the best induction to nintendo town

Oddish1

Precisely. Like its not that I dont like Ryu or anything, it just feels so random.

Imagine for a moment that there were no more DLC characters after roy and ryu besides say one Ballot character. Wouldnt that feel a little strange? 3 cut vets and Ryu?

I pretty much agree with this too.

Something else bothering me is that one of the things I love about Smash Bros. is that it reinterprets characters not in fighting games into often times really interesting and fun movesets and playstyles, whereas Ryu will almost certainly have moves that started off as fighting attacks in the first place. It's just not as interesting to me.

I don't dislike Ryu or his inclusion it just leaves me a little cold.

Crocodile

Man, imagine the hype if in the direct Sakurai went

"You can downland Lucas.......AND Roy........AND Ryu RIGHT NOW!"

The internet would have exploded without these leaks :(

Also LOL at the mental gymnastics people are trying to pull to say Ryu isn't THE iconic fighting game character LOL

Not really.

Fighting games stopped being centered around street fighter a long ass time ago. Hell there are people like me who grew up on tekken, because our child hood started in the late 90's early 200's. Street fighter for a lot of people isn't a thing. So they don't have the respect some others would give ryu

Nobody cares if you grew up with Tekken, that doesn't diminish the importance of Ryu to the history of fighting games. The guys IS Mr. Fighting Games

Village

That's kind of like saying Master Chief isn't one of the most recognizable FPS icons because FPS games are at an all time high and Call of Duty visibly sells more.

It doesn't really matter that there are people who don't like Street Fighter. Saying that Ryu isn't the most recognizable fighting game character is delusional.
No it isn't.

Street fighter for a good long while didn't exist for a lot of people, they do not have the respect for the character you do. It makes sense some younger folk don't particularly care about this characters. Epically those like me who grew up during a period where namco fighters, mortal kombat, and smash brothers ruled the day.

It wasn't a thing in their lives, and they kind of don't care now.

And new kids will grow up with the street fighters and they will care.

isn't really that complicated.

As far as your halo example is concerned, if halo gets so irrelevant it basically stops existing for over decade. I'm sure a bunch of kids wont know or care about chief too. Thats just life kids grow up with different things and don't care about things.

So once again smash will have a playable character promoting an upcoming playstation exclusive.

Well it's a two way street. There is that aspect of promotion but it's also about including a character they know is going to get people even more hyped for sm4sh. I know a bunch of people who are gonna wanna play sm4sh more now that Ryu's in.

SF is loved by a huge number of people and Capcom enjoys good business relations with Nintendo. Ultimately putting Ryu in benefits both of them imo

Gartooth

Wow at the leak. I wonder if the Sunday presentation was gonna handle all new Smash news instead of having anything for the digital event.

Ryu looks good and Roy has a nice redesign. Fucking lol if Inklings are put in as ATs.

L Thammy

The fans voted for him, that's democracy for you !

Actually, that's entirely possible. Remember how Brawl's website also allowed fans to send in their suggestions? Remember how Brawl came out at around the same time as vanilla Street Fighter IV, which revived interest in a dormant franchise through nostalgia and wasn't yet run into the ground through expansions? Ryu may have been chosen before the ballot based on fan input from 2007.

I guess that's the reason he seems tired to a lot of us. Like, yeah, he's there and that's some quaint posterity and shit, but how many GAFfers will main him?
I don't know. We'll have to wait and see how he is.

Not really.

Fighting games stopped being centered around street fighter a long ass time ago. Hell there are people like me who grew up on tekken, because our child hood started in the late 90's early 200's. Street fighter for a lot of people isn't a thing. So they don't have the respect some others would give ryu
Okay that's neat and all but just because you grew up on a ps1 doesnt invalidate Street Fighter's influence. The fighting genre wouldn't exist as it is without Street Fighter. And while not the most popular fighting game at EVO currently, SFIV still brings in the views.

Well my grumble about Ryu is that it's another third party character when there's countless first party characters that have been neglected.

You say that but the viable list of characters (viable not including King K. Rool) shrinks with every successive iteration of SSB. With only a few new candidates like Inkling being created in between.

Village

Okay that's neat and all but just because you grew up on a ps1 doesnt invalidate Street Fighter's influence. The fighting genre wouldn't exist as it is without Street Fighter. And while not the most popular fighting game at EVO currently, SFIV still brings in the views.

No one said it invalided street fighter's existence.

My whole point that there is precedent for people to just not care. Which explains a lot of people disinterest with ryu in general. I never even said their disinterest was correct. I never gave an opinion on the matter.

this applies to many things.

Golnei

We have now two Capcom reps, no excuse anymore why Bayonetta can't in as well.

You can't compare the mascot of Capcom as a whole and the face of an entire genre to Bayonetta - a two-game 'series' met with tepid reactions and abysmal sales. If Capcom's second representative were something like Amaterasu or Viewtiful Joe, I'd agree, but as it is there's no precedent for unpopular, obscure or niche third-party characters. Nintendo has its own dead franchises to neglect, there's no point picking up those of other publishers.

NotLiquid

No it isn't.

Street fighter for a good long while didn't exist for a lot of people, they do not have the respect for the character you do. It makes sense some younger folk don't particularly care about this characters. Epically those like me who grew up during a period where namco fighters, mortal kombat, and smash brothers ruled the day.

It wasn't a thing in their lives, and they kind of don't care now.

And new kids will grow up with the street fighters and they will care.

isn't really that complicated.

As far as your halo example is concerned, if halo gets so irrelevant it basically stops existing for over decade. I'm sure a bunch of kids wont know or care about chief too. Thats just life kids grow up with different things and don't care about things.

Considering the massive amounts of sales, crossovers and notability that anything with Ryu in the helm had, I'm going to have to ask for a huge source on your statement cause it sounds like a hot streak of make believe. The franchise's dormancy for half a decade didn't deter from it's legacy.

Mega Man is "dead" but people still made it a big deal. Sonic has been "dead" in terms of quality but the character still had a huge pull. Ryu is similarly a big deal around the world, and he actually has relevance.

rekameohs

Banned
Dreamland 64's Music list

snd_bgm_F27_AIR_MoriStage.nus3bank
snd_bgm_F28_KBY64_PopStar.nus3bank
snd_bgm_F29_TDX_TamashiiNoTatakai.nus3bank
snd_bgm_F30_YIM_IceCreamIsland.nus3bank
snd_bgm_T09_SDX_PupupuLand.nus3bank
snd_bgm_W06_SDX_YumeNoIzumi.nus3bank

Ice cream island is the only new arrangement.
source: Ryu and Roy Leaked?

Guess that confirms that Dream Land 64 is coming to Wii U since 3DS only has two songs

edit:

Ah, yes indeed!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I guess that's the reason he seems tired to a lot of us. Like, yeah, he's there and that's some quaint posterity and shit, but how many GAFfers will main him?

No joke: I'm actually considering playing the game seriously now and making him my main, assuming he translates to Smash well and isn't flat-out garbage. Was already considering to go competitive with Mario; might as well pick up the original shoto instead of the Nintendo derivative.

Ryu truly is my favorite Street Fighter character, for a few different reasons:

1) He's all substance, no style. I find his "blandness" to be a strength.

2) He always gets top-tier theme songs: 1 2 3

3) In traditional fighting games, he offers a complete experience all by himself and needs no one else to compliment him. I defer to Maj's excellent article on the Ryu vs. Ryu match-up to explain:

Maj said:
The Magic of Ryu vs. Ryu

Mirror matches tend to be problematic in fighting games, because both players have the same exact general objective, often without sufficient versatility to properly impede that objective. Either they devolve into complete turtlefests (ST Guile vs Guile), mindless rushdown (ST Vega vs Vega), or blind guessing (ST Honda vs Honda).

Somehow Ryu vs Ryu is always exempt. It’s always a good matchup, even in games which are competitively subpar otherwise. By contrast, most characters only get worthwhile mirror matches in one or two games, e.g., CvS2 Guile, 3S Chun Li, and SFA2 Akuma.

On a fundamental design level, Ryu is arguably the most fleshed out character in Street Fighter. He has answers for everything, but executing them requires planning and risk. While there are dominant areas in Ryu’s arsenal, he has almost nothing that would be considered “free.” For instance, there are countless situations where Guile can safely throw Sonic Booms, whereas one careless Hadoken is all it takes for Ryu to lose the match. Even his famous fireball traps are only guaranteed for two or three reps at maximum; the rest are mindgames.

Since Ryu has a direct answer for every telegraphed angle of attack, everything in this mirror match has to be earned the hard way. There are no shortcuts, and establishing the upper hand in the ground game is worth a lot. All of the wonderful fundamental nuances of zoning and footsies take center stage here.

Ryu vs Ryu is an awesome learning tool. Even minor mistakes committed during the course of a round become immediately evident, because there are no instant comeback shenanigans to mask them. Of course, the term “minor” is absolutely relative. There’s nothing like the shock of getting demolished by a seasoned veteran for errors you never bothered correcting because you never thought they were punishable. That’s the beauty of the matchup: it’ll go as deep as you want to take it.

Even Street Fighter versions which have gotten completely out of hand in terms of tournament level complexity still contain a thoroughly satisfying Ryu vs Ryu minigame. For example, Street Fighter Alpha 3 has grown so insanely technical that nobody outside of a few dozen dedicated players knows how to approach it anymore. Recent match videos are virtually unrecognizable compared to the finals of every major American tournament ever held for the game. Yet A-Ryu vs A-Ryu remains untouchable as a pick-up-and-play matchup and holds up perfectly at the highest levels too.

In fact, a couple years back there was an invitational exhibition between SFA3 top players Masumi (V-Sakura/Charlie/Ryu) and Daigo (V-Ryu). They played a total of 40 matches, sticking to their serious V-Ism characters through 30 of them. But for the remaining 10 matches, they played A-Ryu vs A-Ryu straight up. If that’s not legit, i don’t know what is.

The coolest thing about the Ryu/Ryu matchup is there’s always something constructive you can do, no matter how badly you’re losing (or winning). Shoto matches play out differently every single time, and everyone you face will have a different Ryu to show you.

Proving this theory in the modern era: Umehara vs Valle in SF4. This would probably be on a list of top overall matches over the course of SF4's competitive life.

Of course, Ryu doesn't translate so well to every game. He's not a great Marvel vs. Capcom character because he tends not to embody the gameplay fundamentals of that series in the same manner as he does in Street Fighter, so who knows how he'll shape up in Smash. It's hard for me to not be enthusiastic about it, though. After all, Mario and Luigi aped his specials in the first Smash Bros. game to begin with.

Bonus: best combo video ever

Meanwhile, here's to hoping that Roy is differentiated enough from Marth and Lucina to not feel like a waste.

Well the SNES version of SFII was easily the most popular. It's the one everyone remembers playing and I would even go so far as to call it the definitive version of that game.

*gag*

I don't know. We'll have to wait and see how he is.

Even more funny on ps1, there are Street Fighter games. Even PS2. Actually during that time Street Fighter was well represented with a lot of games. It went on a hiatus after 2002.

I'd agree, but as it is there's no precedent for unpopular, obscure or niche third-party characters.
Oh, that bullshit again.

Qurupeke

Hope there is a pack for 3 or 4 characters, because 20€ for 4 characters start to become way too much.

And that's not even the price considering potential stages and more costumes. It's getting kind of absurd. And we know there will be more. I wanted DLC for the game but now I kinda fear it.

You say that but the viable list of characters (viable not including King K. Rool) shrinks with every successive iteration of SSB. With only a few new candidates like Inkling being created in between.

I think thats arguable, (while very subjective), I think an Isaac or a DK rep is FAR more deserving than Ryu. Which is completely aside from Ryu's questionable current Resume.

Essentially it boils down to any new Nintendo character inclusion should be first priority IMO.

Not against ryu but id like to see more litte macs, bowser jrs, robins and shulks

ugly

No joke: I'm actually considering playing the game seriously now and making him my main, assuming he translates to Smash well and isn't flat-out garbage. Was already considering to go competitive with Mario; might as well pick up the original shoto instead of the Nintendo derivative.
Where do I find footage of this insane high-level Alpha 3 gameplay?
Just saw that now.. I'm pissed. ._.
Fuck you Sakurai, why don't you make something good for once?
I think thats arguable, (while very subjective), I think an Isaac or a DK rep is FAR more deserving than Ryu. Which is completely aside from Ryu's questionable current Resume.

Essentially it boils down to any new Nintendo character inclusion should be first priority IMO.

Not against ryu but id like to see more litte macs, bowser jrs, robins and shulks
I want to see bombchu alley girl

Oddish1

So are we thinking that Roy is coming bundled with Ryu for free or is he going to be available for download separately for free?

I mean, they're not going to charge for Roy, right?

Right?????

Pachael

Not really.

If the third parties are getting second slots, in my view the second Namco slot is almost certain to be from Tekken, probably Jin as the 'primary character'. (Haruka kaka notwithstanding)

The second Sega slot should be Akira (VF) if we're rounding up the fighter angle, but who knows.

Real Hero

I think there's plenty of Nintendo characters they can add but adding Ryu into a fighting game with Mario, Pacman, Megaman and Sonic just seems right.

KingBroly

Banned
So, let me get this straight: This is stuff that's going to be in the new Patch.

MEANING

It's going to be available tomorrow, won't it?

Oh jeez...

ugly

So are we thinking that Roy is coming bundled with Ryu for free or is he going to be available for download separately for free?

I mean, they're not going to charge for Roy, right?

Right?????

Haha yea, they can't be seriously charging for our boy. I wouldn't expect to be charged to see my brother - I mean come on here

ROY - YOU'RE OUR MOTHER FUCKING BOY, MAN

*tears*

Village

Considering the massive amounts of sales, crossovers and notability that anything with Ryu in the helm had, I'm going to have to ask for a huge source on your statement cause it sounds like a hot streak of make believe. The franchise's dormancy for half a decade didn't deter from it's legacy.
MK, Smash, And namco fighters doing well whilst street fighter didn't exist... is something everyone knows.... like everyone. This conversation comes up about how street fighter was dead and no one liked 3rd strile every 2 weeks in the FGW thread.

Mega Man is "dead" but people still made it a big deal. Sonic has been "dead" in terms of quality but the character still had a huge pull. Ryu is similarly a big deal around the world, and he actually has relevance.
Street fighter was dead in the water for a little while, other fighting games ruled the day.

this happened

There are people who grew up on those and care about them more, or didn't grow up on fighting games at all, an don't care about ryu. BooHoo

I agree with this. Golden Sun and TLA are some of my favorite RPGs of all time. Would have loved to see those games get some love. King K Rool would have also been nice, especially since Retro brought DK back into relevance with two oustanding titles

If they reveal a Retro developed DK 3 with the Kremlings back, it'll just make me want King K Rool in sm4sh even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom