• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verendus

Banned
I keep telling people they're underestimating the scale of XV and what it's gonna offer.

Duscae beta test has blinded everyone!

Watching the Luminous tech demo's too I can't see FF7 remake doing the same stuff with UE4 either which is a shame :(

I might be wrong tho and hope I am!
FFXV has two advantages over FF7 Remake. We won't speak about the first one, but the second advantage is that it has no chains around its ankles. It can fly as high as it wants to, or break its neck. Live or die. The FFXV Development Team Division xXx decides.

wmlk

FFXV has two advantages over FF7 Remake. We won't speak about the second one, but the first advantage is that it has no chains around its ankles. It can fly as high as it wants to, or break its neck.

Live or die. The FFXV Development Team Division xXx decides.

I mean, they focused on literally one area of FFXV from September 2014 to May 2015. I have quite a bit of faith in Tabata and co.

What's the second thing you're talking about? You can't tease again. You've passed your limit.

Doosi

Banned
Boy are you all going to feel foolish when you realise that not only is it a bigger game than the FF7 Remake, it's a better game.

don't think you can compare them just yet. the progress of their development is miles apart. how can you be so sure?

FFXV has two advantages over FF7 Remake. We won't speak about the first one, but the second advantage is that it has no chains around its ankles. It can fly as high as it wants to, or break its neck. Live or die. The FFXV Development Team Division xXx decides.

Exactly, we don't know how FFXV will turn out, but from initial impressions, it seems promising.

Final Fantasy VII, while I'm beyond excited to relive what is probably my favorite game, is a known quantity, I'm sure they won't steer too far away from the original.

Fdkn

I could have sworn there is an eventual "No turning back now" point in FFVII.

And the game is ambiguous on who is controlling who or if either one of them is controlled. I'd like to think Jenova is simply down with Sephiroth's plan.

there is a point of no return, but its at the end of the crater after the 2 paths converge, before the Cloud speech.

Sephirot implies that the knowledge he gained from the lifestream gave him the power to control jenova cells, that's how he summons the reunion including jenova's body from shinra building

th4tguy

I keep telling people they're underestimating the scale of XV and what it's gonna offer.

Duscae beta test has blinded everyone!

Watching the Luminous tech demo's too I can't see FF7 remake doing the same stuff with UE4 either which is a shame :(

I might be wrong tho and hope I am!
Was it confirmed to use ue4?

Ishida

Banned
I could have sworn there is an eventual "No turning back now" point in FFVII.

And the game is ambiguous on who is controlling who or if either one of them is controlled. I'd like to think Jenova is simply down with Sephiroth's plan.

When I was playing the original game back in the day, I always thought that it was Sephiroth controlling Jenova.

The Ultimania Omega guide for the game actually confirms it. Sephiroth is in control. Jenova's mind is dead. Only its cells remain and Sephiroth is controlling them through his strong will from the Northern Cave.

"***Sephiroth's will and Jenova's will*** (Page 53)
The Sephiroth clones seen in various locations continue gathering for the
Reunion. Seemingly, the will of Jenova as a human is the result of it
consuming Sephiroth's spirit; in actuality, Sephiroth is controlling Jenova.

(Accompanying screenshot caption)
Sephiroth's voice is heard through his "mother," Jenova, as applied through
its cells in the Sephiroth Clones."

Maybe the game was ambiguous, but the canon fact is that Sephiroth's mind and will is controlling the Jenova body parts and cells.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but at the scene in the trailer where they show the flower and the feather, is that Aerith's reflection in the puddle?

I mean, they focused on literally one area of FFXV from September 2014 to May 2015. I have quite a bit of faith in Tabata and co.

What's the second thing you're talking about? You can't tease again. You've passed your limit.

Yeah, tell us!

Count me as also very hyped for XV. Just about everything they've shown has been sweet. I suspect when they start ramping up promotion in a couple months, and everyone remembers that 7R is still 2-3 years off, the winds of hype will start blowing another way.

Damn, also, I'd been conflating 7R w/ the tech they've got for XV. I wonder if it will be that ambitious... (E.g., Bahamut Zero rendered in real time in game space).

Kyoufu

Everyone sleeping on FFXV.

Boy are you all going to feel foolish when you realise that not only is it a bigger game than the FF7 Remake, it's a better game.

Biggest, and best selling Finale Fantasy ever. Tabata era. Bahamut represent. Balee dat.

Maybe if they stopped showing the same old Duscae shit over and over and over again.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
FF7r will be better than FFXV as long as Cloud doesn't say "Now I know........why the legends........are told............." when you summon KotR.

Maybe that would be cool.

All I know is from planning long ago, and that was that it was going to become more action oriented. But that in itself, doesn't really mean anything. I haven't seen the battle system (or what they have right now), so I genuinely don't know what that could be. I, personally, haven't been expecting a full action based system overhaul, and am expecting some kind of evolution or hybrid thing. That's been my impression anyway.

That's speculation based on something from long ago, so it's probably not worth much right now. Especially since I've seen first-hand how FFXV went through some changes in that aspect. I'll know soon enough since I'll get a chance to see what they've been doing. Pretty curious on actually seeing this game, rather than just plans and concepts or whatever. It's been a really long time.

Dreams crushed maybe.

Thanks for all the info Verendus.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Man, the plot in FFVII is really something else. Scientist experiments on his son with a murderous The Thing-esque alien's DNA which they thought was a member of an ancient race but actually killed that ancient race and then said scientist's son learns about the circumstances of his birth and also misconceives who Jenova is and her purpose and his relation to her and flips his lid and declares himself an ancient when it's really just The Japanese Thing but it doesn't matter what he thinks Jenova is because he takes over Jenova, not the other way around, essentially becoming a more sentient, more dangerous form of the already creepy powerful alien from the beginning.

Meanwhile there's eco-terrorism, an in-progress worldwide industrialization going on, a modern corporation as a major villain (what other RPG did this?), and living, organic weapons that the earth made to protect itself.

The story in this game is really good, and really unique. It still holds up, too.

Verendus

Banned
Maybe if they stopped showing the same old Duscae shit over and over and over again.
That must be annoying. It's over exposed at the moment, I guess.

They'll probably spoil the whole game soon though, since apparently that's what happened with FFXIII. That's what people say anyway. I tend to start avoiding media for games when I've seen a little to get a feel.

I think I'm a bit strange in the sense that visualisation is very important to me. If I know something, or read something, but don't actually see it, it feels fresh when I see it for the first time. I'm very excited for MGSV. All I can remember seeing from that game is a horse, and Big Boss covered in blood, but I don't need anything else. I haven't even kept up with any real gameplay details from it.

There are only dreams now. Only potential.

That must be annoying. It's over exposed at the moment, I guess.

They'll probably spoil the whole game soon though, since apparently that's what happened with FFXIII. That's what people say anyway. I tend to start avoiding media for games when I've seen a little to get a feel.

I think I'm a bit strange in the sense that visualisation is very important to me. If I know something, or read something, but don't actually see it, it feels fresh when I see it for the first time. I'm very excited for MGSV. All I can remember seeing from that game is a horse, and Big Boss covered in blood, but I don't need anything else. I haven't even kept up with any real gameplay details from it.

There are only dreams now. Only potential.

121547_cgeu-475k-cu-tumblr-lm7jzrrxem1qjv48ho1-1280ufz.jpg
Final Fantasy XV has always looked like one of Square's most ambitious games. Its battle system is a first for the mainline series, its setting and story has a modern twist on the classic final fantasy settings, and its gameplay seems open to a lot of innovations. The overexposure with Duscae has led to some negative views but from playing v.2 of the demo I have gained a lot of faith in the final product. Gamescom is definitely gonna gain back a lot of interest when they finall start showing rather than telling what the rest of the game is gonna be about.

Loudninja

Yeah they have some type of deal.
Boyes describes the FFVII remake project as a “partnership” with Square. He’s not saying if they are helping fund it or really what the partnership entails, just that the game is that it is making its console debut on PlayStation 4 first. It seems the door is open for it to come to PCs and other consoles, presumably Xbox One. In fact, Boyes said gamers will know how long the PS4’s timed-exclusivity lasts relatively soon. “We’ll be disclosing that to everyone before the game comes out, so everyone will know.”
http://kotaku.com/keeping-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-and-shenmue-iii-se-1712587923

Shameful behaviour.

Moneyhats. That's what it's come down to. Stoop that low.

Lol, so Sony moneyhats FFVII remake timed exclusivity, and MS moneyhats RotR timed exclusivity during a full holiday with Fallout 4 being released the same day?

Hmm... I wonder which moneyhat looks nicer...

Pagusas

Elden Member

I wouldn't doubt Sony agreeing to cover the marketing budget for the game, attaching it's trailer to there films, TV spots and media blast all through sony's entertainment connections.

That would be the most benifital way for Sony to contribute without tying their money to the actual production, which would tie squares hands on exclusivity.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Everyone sleeping on FFXV.

Biggest, and best selling Finale Fantasy ever. Tabata era. Bahamut represent. Balee dat.

Who's sleeping on it!? We all are buying it, your talking to a ton of huge fans here. FF7 is just a bigger announcement. As was already said in this thread, FF7 is bigger than Final Fantasy. It transcends the name, otherwise the shit that was FF13 would negatively affect its popularity. We can already tell by the YouTube views and public reaction this game is beyond almost all other games save maybe GTA.

Even square admits this according to you, by saying they made this announcement to help the PS4 and reignite Japan. No other single game is capable of doing that, FF7 might just be able to. FF15 can't (though I hope it is so good it becomes another 7 in sales and popularity!)

Square got a pretty solid lineup of upcoming games:

Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy VII remake
Kingdom Hearts III
Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2
Nier 2
Worlds of Final Fantasy
Dissidia Arcade
Project Setsuna
FF XIV Heavensward
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Deus Ex Mankind divided
Just Cause 3
Hitman
Kingdom Hearts Unchained
SaGa Vita
Dragon Quest VIII 3DS

Likely to be announced yet: Final Fantasy XII HD and Dragon Quest XI

It kind feels like the good old ps2 days.

Turin

Banned
Man, I can't wait to see Pheonix in this game. One of my favorite little moments there. I'm curious how they'll do that part.

500px-Fort_Condor_FFVII_Concept_Art.jpg

Wow, this is best Cloud, bar none.

Definitely. I'm hoping he's more like that. We'll see.

Edit:

If they take out the apparent "beating" scene. I won't shed a single tear.

Square got a pretty solid lineup of upcoming games:

Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy VII remake
Kingdom Hearts III
Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2
Nier 2
Worlds of Final Fantasy
Dissidia Arcade
Project Setsuna
FF XIV Heavensward
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Deus Ex Mankind divided
Just Cause 3
Hitman
Kingdom Hearts Unchained
SaGa Vita
Dragon Quest VIII 3DS

Likely to be announced yet: Final Fantasy XII HD and Dragon Quest XI

It kind feels like the good old ps2 days.

It's June. Does this game exist in any form? lol

Who's sleeping on it!?

I guess there is some amount of disappointment as XV's details start coming out and we find out more and more that it is not Versus XIII, but rather XV.

Once XV gets it's proper post-Duscae reveal come Gamescom, or whenever, I think that dust will settle. People will hopefully get to see in earnest what Tabata's vision is for that game, and appreciate it for what it is, and not what it could've been under a different leadership.

That "different leadership" is now on FFVII, and frankly, I kinda like it. Nomura is super talented, but I feel like he works best within the constraints of an already-defined narrative arc, and simply taking that narrative arc to the next level.

And I say this as a fan (not even joking) of the convoluted, extremely multi-threaded Kingdom Hearts lore of Ancient Keyblade Wars, Keyblade Masters, Pure Lights, Hearts, Nobodies, Darkness, etc.

Grimløck;169228653 said:
i would be shocked if FF7:R isn't pimped to every platform under the sun. it's too huge to lock it down on a couple of platforms. so don't worry about wanting to play it on the xbo. you're just going to have to wait a little, i guess.

Yeah I would not count on that. I think this will and should be PS4/PC just like the original.

RPGamer92

Banned
It really feelings like getting rid of Wada was the best thing that could've happened to Square. And also making back the money from the initial loss off FFXIV 1.0 as well.

David___

Banned
I guess it depends on whether or not XV/KH3 XB1 SKU aren't selling enough to offset standard SKU development cost + the kickbacks they get from Sony from keeping it exclusive.
this is probably what theyre gonna do which is why they left themselves an out unlike XV and KH3

I guess it depends on whether or not XV/KH3 XB1 SKU aren't selling enough to offset standard SKU development cost + the kickbacks they get from Sony from keeping it exclusive.

Kagari speaks like it is a done deal as console exclusive. She even implied a PC port would be far from the PS4 release. I think the terms will be known before FFXV or KH3 release.

Zack was a SOLDIER first class, I would think he could hold his own against three dudes.

Though I guess another reason he may not have performed as well is all the experiments he went through while Hojo had him and Cloud in captivity.

And a single bullet should be able to take down a man, no matter how strong. That's why I said the Compilation skewed perspective. It changed the idea of "Soldier 1st Class" from "a highly competent operatives" to "faster-than-a-speeding-bullet superhuman".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom