• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes: Supply chain players gear up for new Nintendo console

Turrican3

@neverending hybrid theories

You never know with Nintendo, but I'd argue that the amount of things Iwata has been saying during the last ~18 months heavily implies there will be at least two distinct products.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but the guy with the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumour/theory claims that it's been moved to NX. Launch title? Would fill the Mario Kart gap.

jaosobno

So lets assume that Nintendo is not batshit insane for a second with this 20 million number....

That would seemingly have to indicate something that is low-priced.

Thinking like less than $150?

Fits the rumor from few days ago that Nintendo plans to set the NX launch price to $149. At that price point, 20 million is probably doable.

This is more on the bullshit side of Digitimes. I mean we just got a quote about why they don't release games in summer, does anyone think they'd launch a new device outside the holiday season unless it missed a date? 20 million isn't happening either. Late 2016 makes perfect sense for a handheld though I think Wii U will be around until 2017. I doubt they'll launch both devices in the same year.

Establish the handheld form first, get some titles out there, get the thing selling, then hit in 2017 with the home form and titles that - while launching on all NX platforms - are pushed heavily as launch titles for that.

Any guesses on the console/whatever it is power or capabilities?

I'd guess a superset (correct term?) of whatever the handheld ends up being.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but the guy with the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumour/theory claims that it's been moved to NX. Launch title? Would fill the Mario Kart gap.

everything was moved to NX.

Joke aside, it would be good. They know they have to go all out for the launch.

Xater

A lot seems to have moved to the NX already looking at Nintendo's E3. I could pull shit like this out of my ass as well.

MarkusRJR

That's not true. They have also mentioned their next home console without mentioning NX. Besides home console is not some scientific term. It might very well mean multiple things. What it specifically is in this context is just the replacer of Wii U.
"In the home console space, we’re focused on Wii U. NX is in the future. That’s something that we’ll talk about at the appropriate time. But right now, it’s all about driving our Wii U business." - Reggie talking to Forbes about the lack of NX at E3

Impossible to know without the question that is not included in the article. Besides who said a mainline Metroid Prime can't be on a hybrid? If there would ever be a hybrid it would have many franchises traditionally only on handheld or home console naturally migrate.
The mainline prime games have typically all been first person console games to appeal to the West (Metroid's main audience). A handheld hybrid that's not replacing the Wii U would not be the location for the next Metroid. In the same article he mentions the reason he hasn't made a Wii U Metroid Prime is because he hasn't gotten enough resources to do one yet, implying it'll be an HD console release.

The main reason I don't think it'll be a hybrid handheld device (with a dock to plug it into the TV, or streaming or whatnot) is:

a) It leaves the Wii U in a limbo of no support and continued failing.
b) They aren't showing Zelda for super arbitrary reasons, which everyone is assuming it'll be coming to be NX in a TP-like scenario when they show it off at E3 2016 and announce the NX.
c) By making the NX a hybrid handheld, it basically butchers any attempt at a proper home console they'd release later (especially in JP).
d) Iwata has gone on record talking about his goals of making an iOS/Android infrastructure so games work across multiple form factors (and wanting to release more form factors). Creating a hybrid that would have all the same games as the traditional home console would destroy any incentive of buying both. And assuming they don't have the same games being released across platforms, why would he talk about the whole iOS/Android infrastructure?

Of course this is all speculation because there's no real way to figure out what Nintendo is going to do barring a few leaks, but I just think a hybrid is way less likely than multiple console running under a similar infrastructure.

Griss

Could the leak be that Nintendo wants to reserve the possibility of 20m units production and a summer launch? With the ability to scale down to 10m and the more likely Oct/Nov launch, so long as notification of reduction is given at some specified date later this year after pilot building.

Probably just bullshit, but who knows

bomblord1

Banned
20M?!

Assuming this is true, Nintendo wouldn't be this confident about a home console this has to be either a handheld in some capacity or both a handheld and a home console with 2 different SKU's no way it's hitting 20M in one year otherwise.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Well I can certainly believe that NX is a 2016 console. I can't imagine them trying to limp through yet another year with the Wii U.

Sendou

Of course this is all speculation because there's no real way to figure out what Nintendo is going to do barring a few leaks, but I just think a hybrid is way less likely than multiple console running under a similar infrastructure.

To be honest I think it might as well be either or. I have just learned not to read too much into what Nintendo says.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Any guesses on the console/whatever it is power or capabilities?

No tablet controller could easily make this an affordable console visibly more powerful than Wii U in late 2016.

sinxtanx

This argument is like "Will Nintendo go mobile?". Serious flashbacks.

"Will Nintendo go mobile?" stemmed from mobile platforms doing insane revenues and being a logical platform to put their games on.

"Will Nintendo make a hybrid console?" stems from generic gadget wank only. Or there exists multiple highly successful hybrid consoles that I do not know about.

bomblord1

Banned
I think Nintendo should use Nvidia's next Tegra chip in their console. Could easily scale between both a handheld and a console, be able to emulate/run android code, and be significantly more powerful than the wiiU at a similar or lower power threshold.

Terrell

If we're using PS4 and XBO as barometers to say it's a handheld, a few things to keep in mind:

The 10 million quoted for PS4 was for North America and Europe only, as Japan's launch date was pushed and Microsoft had no hopes of selling anywhere but North America. Nintendo, in contrast, seems rather keen on near-simultaneous hardware launches (New 3DS being the exception and not the rule).

Couple that with this being potentially both a console and handheld order, and 20mil doesn't sound like an aggressive number or indicative of what they're building necessarily.

Socordia

Banned
I think Nintendo should use Nvidia's next Tegra chip in their console. Could easily scale between both a handheld and a console, be able to emulate/run android code, and be significantly more powerful than the wiiU at a similar or lower power threshold.

Nvidia is overpriced.

Wolfie5

I am calling BS on this one. Iwata said they would give more info on NX in 2016, nothing about releasing it. And to release it in summer is very unlikely, as it would be very close to a period where they would just announce it.

On the off chance this is true,I am expecting release of both handheld and home console to be released at the same time. 20m on just one of them won't happen.

Sendou

"Will Nintendo go mobile?" stemmed from mobile platforms doing insane revenues and being a logical platform to put their games on.

"Will Nintendo make a hybrid console?" stems from generic gadget wank only. Or there exists multiple highly successful hybrid consoles that I do not know about.

There doesn't currently exist a succesful Nintendo console. Either they try something out of the left field or die.

antonz

Nvidia is overpriced.

I think Nvidia failing to deliver the last time Nintendo worked with them would be a bigger factor. Nvidia tends to play loose with facts and specifications and Nintendo does not. When Nintendo says we want X. You do not offer them X+1.

Nvidia lost the 3DS contract because they could not deliver what they promised and Nintendo instead of budging said Sayonara

This $150 everyone keeps talking about is illogical as hell.

They don't even sell their new 3DS for that price point and have you seen the specs?

Anything can happen in theory, buf every time I see $150 repeated I cringe. It makes zero sense.

Socordia

Banned
There doesn't currently exist a succesful Nintendo console. Either they try something out of the left field or die.

If there is no succesfull nintendo console right now they would be losing money and managament would be changed in last voting.

Hmmm... Maybe the first part of NX is a smartphone that plays 3DS games?, That or an extremely fantastic 3DS successor. Those are the only two things I can think of that could ever push out those numbers at launch.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I am calling BS on this one. Iwata said they would give more info on NX in 2016, nothing about releasing it. And to release it in summer is very unlikely, as it would be very close to a period where they would just announce it.

On the off chance this is true,I am expecting release of both handheld and home console to be released at the same time. 20m on just one of them won't happen.

Eh I highly doubt they want to do another Wii u and release a console into a year after it's originally unveiled. One it's not easy to maintain interest for a whole year, and I imagine they'd also not want to squander marketing opportunity this time especially when their competitors have already shown releasing the same year as announcing it can be very successful.

Also do you really think they want to go another year of the 3DS and Wii U's sales? I highly doubt that. Successor mention would in itself hurt those platforms, they gain almost nothing by mentioning a successor a year in advance.

Well .. be it handheld or console, i just hope that this time they use off-the-shelf parts and not something incredibly exotic again.
Should be easier to work and develop for it, plus the bonus that such parts tend to actually drop in price, making future pricedrops possible.

They don't even sell their new 3DS for that price point and have you seen the specs?

Anything can happen in theory, buf every time I see $150 repeated I cringe. It makes zero sense.

3DS price is also at least in part to do with the 3D screen tech etc. being a limiting factor in price drops, I think. Something using more off-the-shelf components and less exotic tech could hit lower prices and faster. That's not to say that $150 is necessarily a reasonable launch price for a more powerful machine than the 3DS, but the price of the 3DS perhaps reflects the components used there more than the specs and Nintendo's stubbornness. See also: Wii U GamePad etc.

I'm not sure they'd launch in July, but everything else seems plausible. I'd be shocked if there's no new Nintendo hardware by the end of 2016. My sense is that they've been planning to cut the Wii U loose early for a while.

Somnid

Establish the handheld form first, get some titles out there, get the thing selling, then hit in 2017 with the home form and titles that - while launching on all NX platforms - are pushed heavily as launch titles for that.

Makes sense to me. 3DS is following a highly traditional lifespan, it missed a late 2010 launch and in 2016 will be nearly 6 years old. Sales have started to slow, it's already gotten an end of life update. It's ready, more than Wii U is and quite frankly the handheld business is more important.

Nintendo probably can't deal with the launch strain of 2 devices at the same time, nor would the market. Then need a gap but also to get the holiday season spot, back-to-back years makes the most sense.

I don't buy the hybrid idea because it increases cost, decrease device sales, decreases total userbase and decreases gameplay options. People like both, will buy both and sometimes you can do on one what you can't do on another. It's also counter to a lot of Nintendo-isms. I just don't see it happening.

MarkusRJR

3DS and Wii U are so expensive due to using specific specialized parts vs off the shelf parts ala Sony and MS. That plus the 3D screen tech and the Wii U's Game Pad raising costs even further. They could easily lower costs by making a more simple device (not necessarily in terms of power, but in terms of components).

Rodin

I can easily see them not going over 179$ for the new portable at D1, 3DS launch price taught them a hard lesson. They're still selling the 3DS at this price to make a lot of money on every single unit sold.

Anyway the fact that Nvidia is selling a Tegra X1 based console at 199$ makes me hope that ~150GFLOPs for the portable at 179 is possible.

... And this news is obviously fake, those numbers are nuts and Nintendo never announced to release anything in 2016, even if the portable is likely to come out for Christmas next year.

I wonder what wiiu owners will feel when they find out their console only lasted 4 years.
The home will probably come out in 2017. That's 5 years.

Top Bottom