• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes: Supply chain players gear up for new Nintendo console

Rosur

July release would be weird (Maybe for Japan?) Then a Oct/ Nov release for the west? Though 20mill units seems far to much for the 1st year as their not Sony (I could see 10mill)

edit: maybe 20mill includes both the handheld and home console versions?

Dystify

If this is true, they must be moving Federation Force across and making it a launch title!

Not sure if you're being serious, but Metroid: FF will come out in the first half of 2016, iirc. I doubt they will port any game that's releasing before the NX release.

kswiston

same thing I felt the last time a console only lasted 4 years. pretty standard gen length relatively speaking.

Except that, out of the 10 consoles and handhelds released in the past two generations, the OG Xbox is the only one that had a 4 year generation length.

EDIT: Forgot about Game boy Advance. So that makes 2 out of 11

Turrican3

3DS price is also at least in part to do with the 3D screen tech etc. being a limiting factor in price drops
Yep, 2DS likely proves your point.
Nintendo absolutely needs to keep prices as low as possible IMHO, unless they have something truly revolutionary up their sleeve it would be suicide to release overpriced hardware for the third time in a row.

goomba

Banned
What if this is actually related to the "Quality of life " "non wearable" platform they talked about last year?

Cheebo

Banned
Digitimes is pretty damn accurate when it comes to Foxconn leaks. Digitimes is the main source of iPhone leaked info out of Foxconn.

Makes sense to me. 3DS is following a highly traditional lifespan, it missed a late 2010 launch and in 2016 will be nearly 6 years old. Sales have started to slow, it's already gotten an end of life update. It's ready, more than Wii U is and quite frankly the handheld business is more important.

Nintendo probably can't deal with the launch strain of 2 devices at the same time, nor would the market. Then need a gap but also to get the holiday season spot, back-to-back years makes the most sense.

Yup. The timing is right for a handheld form first, with the console to follow.

I don't buy the hybrid idea because it increases cost, decrease device sales, decreases total userbase and decreases gameplay options. People like both, will buy both and sometimes you can do on one what you can't do on another. It's also counter to a lot of Nintendo-isms. I just don't see it happening.

If I was Nintendo, I'd be looking to successfully launch the NX Handheld, use mobile apps and accounts that span mobile/NX (and possibly Wii U, depending on how they work their new account system) to draw people into their ecosystem and offer cross-platform benefits, then launch NX Home the following year with games that make sense for it - but that still run, perhaps in cut-down form, on the NX Handheld.

The idea should be to have a platform that can offer form factors that suit different markets and consumers, but that offers benefits for people who own both - perhaps some form of hardware integration, perhaps simply account/software integration. Certain games will perhaps be one platform only, but most will run on both, but crucially Nintendo won't be supporting two entirely different development pipelines. Anything they build could be scaled either way, except in the rare case where it makes more sense to target a specific platform.

I wonder what wiiu owners will feel when they find out their console only lasted 4 years.

I'm one, and I'll admit to being disappointed that the platform never saw the support from third parties I'd hoped for, or the success I believe it warranted, but I also recognise that Nintendo are in a position where they can either throw more support after a failed platform or simply make the most of it they can with low-budget projects and collaborations and build for the next. If I get until the end of 2016 - and at least a few more titles - out of it, it'll be worth what I paid for it in terms of what Nintendo brought to the platform.

Dystify

I wonder what wiiu owners will feel when they find out their console only lasted 4 years.

Well, what other options are there? Wiii U obviously didn't take off as much as they would like, so starting something new seems to me to be the better decision.

kswiston

the same as original xbox owners, maybe?

They weren't that happy. However Xbox at least had a good generation. Wii U took a year to get going. There wasn't much on the system worth owning until the second half of 2013 (followed up by a strong 2014).

No way in hell a new console in this day and age gets released at any time of year EXCEPT holiday season. Even if the NX was coming out in 2016, it sure as hell won't be in July.

I still believe that Nintendo will release a rebranded slightly souped up Wii U for very cheap, but they lost me at a launch in next years summer...

No way...

Socordia

Banned
That's $100 less than the wiiU which I would say means it's not overpriced. At least not too overpriced for Nintendo.

Wii u is overpriced because of gamepad, backwards compatibility and old cpu.Nvidia doesn´t need console market so they would be overpriced compared to any other alternative(like amd).

kswiston

What I mean is a ton of great games WERE released, and there are a few more coming.

Wii U definitely has great games worth owning, but its library is pretty damn sparse. Ignoring preferences for game x over game y, it probably has the smallest quantity of "good" games since the US-only Sega Saturn library.

Somnid

Wii u is overpriced because of gamepad, backwards compatibility and old cpu.Nvidia doesn´t need console market so they would be overpriced compared to any other alternative(like amd).

Nvidia needs either mobile or consoles to stay relevant, PC is not where the modern action is. This is why they keeping making Tegra and Shield despite the fact nobody wants either. It's trying to build relevance in those areas. They are very desperate because those chips cost a lot to make.

Bl@de

199$ console. Simple design with a normal controller.
Roughly as powerful as Xbox One. Announced at E3. Launching Late 2016 with Zelda.

I wish

Wii U definitely has great games worth owning, but its library is pretty damn sparse. Ignoring preferences for game x over game y, it probably has the smallest quantity of "good" games since the US-only Sega Saturn library.

Well, maybe I'm fine with it because I have little free time to play. I still haven't 100% Tropical Freeze, barely touched Pikmin 3 missions... I guess most people feel the Wii U library is lacking, but it was never a problem for me. In fact, I sold my 3DS because I couldn't find the time to play on two different systems, it was too much for me.

Socordia

Banned
Nvidia needs either mobile or consoles to stay relevant, PC is not where the modern action is. This is why they keeping making Tegra and Shield despite the fact nobody wants either. It's trying to build relevance in those areas. They are very desperate because those chips cost a lot to make.

That doesn´t mean they willing to eat alot of cost themselves.

A July release does actually make sense for the next handheld if you think about it. Announce it early in the year and then their E3 showing will be showing the final hardware and pretty much final versions of the launch games with a few future titles, and then it releases in July and doesn't get lost in the holiday shuffle. Then by the time holiday rolls in it will be more of a known quantity.

phanphare

Banned
Except that, out of the 10 consoles and handhelds released in the past two generations, the OG Xbox is the only one that had a 4 year generation length.

EDIT: Forgot about Game boy Advance. So that makes 2 out of 11

Nintendo gens are usually around 5 years. I wasn't considering the other two console manufacturers because they are irrelevant to what Nintendo does. also using the past two generations and all the consoles would be misleading, the x360 and PS3 were not normal as far as gen length goes. I would never expect a Nintendo console to go for 8 years and definitely not the Wii U lol. I believe only the DS got close to that. like I said, a 4 year life cycle for the Wii U seems pretty standard to me considering the rest of Nintendo's consoles and the Wii U situation.

Business

Needs to be at least as powerful as the Bone so 3rd parties can easily port their games, otherwise it will be DOA.

Circinus

20 million shipments in the first year? Wow, I seriously doubt that's going to happen, but I wonder what they could have in store to possibly achieve that.

Even if it's handheld + console, it sounds extremely ambitious and I'd say unreasonable if I'm looking at the current momentum of the Nintendo brand as a whole.

I mean Wii U will probably not reach 20 million shipments ltd by quite a margin. I don't see a new Nintendo handheld selling that well either, I think the market for dedicated handhelds will be really small by 2016, so I'm not sure if they'll even manage to ship 20 million ltd for their next handheld.

But anyway, maybe they have something neat in store that might get a lot of mainstream appeal, open to be surprised.

Forkball

Nintendo can't even ship 20 million amiibos. If NX is coming so soon, you'd think we would have a full-fledged announcement about what it actually is by now.

Socordia

Banned
I think Nvidia failing to deliver the last time Nintendo worked with them would be a bigger factor. Nvidia tends to play loose with facts and specifications and Nintendo does not. When Nintendo says we want X. You do not offer them X+1.

Nvidia lost the 3DS contract because they could not deliver what they promised and Nintendo instead of budging said Sayonara

I don´t think that is important enough if nvidia is willing to bite the bullet.

kswiston

Nintendo gens are usually around 5 years. I wasn't considering the other two console manufacturers because they are irrelevant to what Nintendo does. also using the past two generations and all the consoles would be misleading, the x360 and PS3 were not normal as far as gen length goes. I would never expect a Nintendo console to go for 8 years and definitely not the Wii U lol. I believe only the DS got close to that. like I said, a 4 year life cycle for the Wii U seems pretty standard to me considering the rest of Nintendo's consoles and the Wii U situation.

Well, going by Japan release dates (because the lag time between JP and NA releases decreased every generation conflating things):

NES - 7 years
SNES - just under 6 years
N64 - just under of 5 years
Gamecube - 5 years
Wii - 5 years

A July release would give the Wii U just over 3.5 years, which is pretty short even by Nintendo standards.

Well, going by Japan release dates (because the lag time between JP and NA releases decreased every generation conflating things):

NES - 7 years
Gamecube - 5 years
Wii - 5 years

A July release would give the Wii U just over 3.5 years, which is pretty short even by Nintendo standards.

Good thing there is no way this is a home console and is definitely a handheld.

I mean Wii U will probably not reach 20 million shipments ltd by quite a margin. I don't see a new Nintendo handheld selling that well either, I think the market for dedicated handhelds will be really small by 2016, so I'm not sure if they'll even manage to ship 20 million ltd for their next handheld.

The 3DS has sold nearly 20 million in Japan alone to date. Even assuming massive contraction in the West and a partial collapse in Japan, sub-20 million LTD for whatever handheld comes next seems unlikely...

I regret buying the New 3DSXL, but not the Wii U.

I have a dozen games for the console already and I feel like I got my monies worth out of it.

Urthor

Hey remember that the 3DS shipped 15 million in 2011 between March-December, and there was a massive cloud of pessimism hanging over it, plus game makers in general were EXTREMELY leery of producing anything for it. Considering the 20 million figure is designed to be inventory that'll fill demand for Christmas and first two quarters of '17 potentially, and given that the success of the 3DS has shown people that the handheld is alive and kicking in this day and age, it's not far off, and could easily be adjusted to 15.

20 million is absolutely not "digitimes is making up a ridiculous number" here.

This is absolutely a 3DS sequel though, cannot be anything else.

phanphare

Banned

NES - 7 years
Gamecube - 5 years
Wii - 5 years

I'm in the US

also this could be a handheld for all we know

Have any of Nintendo's systems actually done 20M in their first year?

Wii sold more than 20M in its first year. To my recollection, it's still the fastest selling console to date.

Excitement. 4 years is a looong time for consumer electronics. Console generations usually last ~5 years, and I have no problems with that. I'm not buying an NX until I'm done with Wii U/3DS anyway.

Terrell

I got plenty of good games, so I got my money's worth, but the Wii U is a stone at this point and I'm not interested in trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

So a generation change is almost enough to warrant a sigh of relief.

They weren't that happy. However Xbox at least had a good generation. Wii U took a year to get going. There wasn't much on the system worth owning until the second half of 2013 (followed up by a strong 2014).

Original Xbox owners might not have been happy about the Xbox being cut short, but considering how the 360 sold, they didn't seem to be unhappy, either. No one expects Wii U owners to be elated for an early end to a hardware line, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could be "over it".

Z3M0G

Only a handheld, with massively appealing features, could hope to ship that many units world-wide in that time frame. But I still can't see it being possible to pull off those kind of year 1 numbers.

Wolfie5

Eh I highly doubt they want to do another Wii u and release a console into a year after it's originally unveiled. One it's not easy to maintain interest for a whole year, and I imagine they'd also not want to squander marketing opportunity this time especially when their competitors have already shown releasing the same year as announcing it can be very successful.

Also do you really think they want to go another year of the 3DS and Wii U's sales? I highly doubt that. Successor mention would in itself hurt those platforms, they gain almost nothing by mentioning a successor a year in advance.

I wasn't going by what the most logical thing thing to do. I was going by how Nintendo has done in the past. Which is announce at least a year before release.
I still expect a 2017 release for the new home console, unless they announce something this year(won't happen though).

Kriken

Launch in July? That worked out SO well for the Sega Saturn /s

As for the 20 million, I could see that as a possibility if that's a combination of handheld and console numbers

Launch in July? That worked out SO well for the Sega Saturn /s

Well first off E3 is in June in 2016, and secondly why would you assume that they would announce it at E3 if it is releasing so soon? It makes sense to announce it early in the year, then they can have a constant build up to release over 6-7 months.

Cheebo

Banned
3DS shipped 15 million in the first year and there was a massive cloud of pessimism hanging over it, and game makers in general were EXTREMELY leery of producing anything for it. Considering the 20 million figure is designed to be inventory that'll fill demand for Christmas and first two quarters of '17 potentially, and given that the success of the 3DS has shown people that the handheld is alive and kicking in this day and age, it's not far off, and could easily be adjusted to 15.

This is absolutely a 3DS sequel though, cannot be anything else.

Yep. Exactly. I dont understand why people in this thread think otherwise.

StevieP

Banned
The language in the OP's article (while proper, because handhelds are also consoles technically) is definitely leading people to believe this is the wii u successor rather than the nx handheld.

Top Bottom