• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

So the build being shown at Gamescon is the same one from E3? Not particularly surprising, seeing as how the focus is clearly on finishing the game for October, but FM3 has made some significant visual strides since then and I'm kinda Camino Viejo-ed out.

Iknos

proposition: I agree that the pic has issues but I think it has more to do than the spec highlight. Also do remember that you are comparing 2 very different times of day. In the FM pic note the realtime shadow it is very long.

In the other pics from the same track everything looks great:

fyfx9k.jpg

FM_CorvetteZR_3.jpg

sdo30j.jpg

A pic more comparable to the Ford in terms of time of day would be this:

33euc1c.jpg

And the highlight looks great to me and very comparable IMO.

Spaceman Spiff said:
So the build being shown at Gamescon is the same one from E3? Not particularly surprising, seeing as how the focus is clearly on finishing the game for October, but FM3 has made some significant visual strides since then and I'm kinda Camino Viejo-ed out.

Yeah I wonder if it's the E3 build. Some things about the visuals make it seem like it. There doesn't seem to be much body roll too. Maybe the car is like that.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Spaceman Spiff said:

Yes, the build at Gamescom is the E3 build... which means cockpits are at 30 instead of 60 like they are now. And you're right, the game does look better now that we are closer to ship. Even Camino Viejo has improved.

chespace said:
Yes, the build at Gamescom is the E3 build... which means cockpits are at 30 instead of 60 like they are now. And you're right, the game does look better now that we are closer to ship. Even Camino Viejo has improved.

All I needed to hear. Thanks Che!

chespace

Here's a random shot we didn't use in this week's screenshots gallery since it looked so similar to the others but I like it so I'll post it:

245f38w.jpg

Iknos said:
Yeah I wonder if it's the E3 build. Some things about the visuals make it seem like it. There doesn't seem to be much body roll too. Maybe the car is like that.

I agree on the body roll; it was virtually non-existent in FM2, but we've seen plenty of FM3 screens showing it to various extents. It pleases me greatly.

The SL65 AMG BS is like that, very unforgiving, rock-hard suspension to help keep all that mass in check.

It's amazing to me still on just how many more poly's you guys are pushing for the cars, F2 has some smooth cars but this just takes the whole box of cakes.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
chespace said:
Here's a random shot we didn't use in this week's screenshots gallery since it looked so similar to the others but I like it so I'll post it:

nice headlights!

chespace said:

what?? cockpits are at 60 now? sweeeeet! how did i miss that announcement?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
chespace said:

awesome to get 100% confirmation of that.

chespace

SeaOfMadness said:
what?? cockpits are at 60 now? sweeeeet! how did i miss that announcement?

Why wouldn't the cockpits be at 60 for a racing sim? If you're not at least 60fps, you're simply not a serious racing game.

The annoyance of showing off a game when it's not yet finished is that folks will see a work in progress and then assume that's the way it's going to ship.

At any rate, it just doesn't make sense to ship a game where everything else during the actual gameplay runs at 60 and then suddenly the game slows down to 30 when you go in the cockpit.

Here's a couple more screens I found in my stash. From a build that's at least a few weeks old probably.

fcv8na.jpg

wckc54.jpg

Spasm

chespace said:
At any rate, it just doesn't make sense to ship a game where everything else during the actual gameplay runs at 60 and then suddenly the game slows down to 30 when you go in the cockpit.
Replays 60fps confirmed?
chespace said:
Damn.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
chespace said:
Here's a couple more screens I found in my stash. From a build that's at least a few weeks old probably.

Is it just me or are the helmets shinier? The visor part (not sure what it's called) looks awesome! I thought the helmets looked a bit flat at first.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
chespace said:
Why wouldn't the cockpits be at 60 for a racing sim? If you're not at least 60fps, you're simply not a serious racing game.

The annoyance of showing off a game when it's not yet finished is that folks will see a work in progress and then assume that's the way it's going to ship.

I just had a cock explosion. I can't fucking wait for this game.

Recoil

:lol :lol

Che, I hope you're reading the GT5 thread, you deserve it buddy. Riiiiiight at around page 122-123, you can almost feel the extremist fanboy hearts breaking.

edit: Toning it down, because my meaning is a bit lost. See below.

Pepto

Banned
Recoil said:
:lol :lol

Che, I hope you're reading the GT5 thread, you deserve it buddy. Riiiiiight at around page 122-123, you can almost feel the fanboy hearts breaking.

It's like that Simpson episode where Bart freezeframes the exact moment of Lisa breaking Ralph's heart.

Absolutely no need for this.

Recoil

I should clarify:

True. I'm still buying the game myself, so don't get me wrong, I have an interest in the GT5 damage being as good as it can get.

I'm not shitting on the game at all. It's still pushing a lot more cars than FM, with much better graphics to boot.

But I do take joy of certain people getting knocked down a peg, and I'm unrepentant of it happening to the the people that are constantly bashing Che and others, and claiming PD is infallible, and not just another game dev on another game.

That isn't directed at all at the people that are carrying on a rational, intelligent discussion, mind you. Just the ones constantly calling all other sims 'toys', and carrying GT on a gilded throne.

EazyB

Banned
I decided to go ahead and buy the MS wheel and I'm really glad I did. I've been having a blast playing Forza 2 the force feedback feels great. I don't really have a good reference point to make comparisons but it's much better than the only other wheel I've ever bought:

UltraRacer_N64.gif

The screens are looking great, would love to see more shots from the cockpit as that's how I'mma play the game.

alba

Little is the new Big
Che you should do a bash of screenshots with multiple cars on screen at once instead of always just one! :p

SarBear

This and Tekken 6 on the same day will be troublesome. -_- :lol

Che, is there any chance (because I am too lazy to search) that there will be a public demo available before release?

t4ng0

No intention to troll, but what is the big deal between GT5 and FM3? Are there fundamentally different approaches by the two different developers - or has GT been the incumbent racing sim on consoles for years, and Forza has improved to "challenge" it and now everyone is hot and bothered?

t4ng0 said:
No intention to troll, but what is the big deal between GT5 and FM3?
There's no big deal with regard to the games. They're the premier racing games on each console and that attracts console warriors who will line up behind the flag of each declaring them...

BEST GAME EVAR!!!

before saying

X F*CK*NG SUCKS, IT'S NOTHING COMPARED TO Y!!!1!

...then trolling the shit out of the other game / fans of the other game.

Saw one of those IGN vids for GT5 and I will find a way to afford a PS3 when that comes out. Holy shit, it looks great. Of course Forza, you have my dollars as well. :D

Falagard

I can't wait for October 27th.

Che, I'm interested to know if windshields in cockpit view are going to be rendered (similar to PGR) or if they're going to stay completely transparent as they have in all the videos we've seen so far.

Falagard

EazyB said:
I decided to go ahead and buy the MS wheel and I'm really glad I did. I've been having a blast playing Forza 2 the force feedback feels great.

Sweet. Let's play some multiplayer some time. I suck, but it's fun.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I send my major congratulations to the T10 devs and you of course Che

Your teams hard work has shown to have made a HUGE difference.. Major kudos to you guys, it is well deserved.

Now che please a Carrera GT dashboard pic and car pic :(

One of each would be nice :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
t4ng0 said:
No intention to troll, but what is the big deal between GT5 and FM3? Are there fundamentally different approaches by the two different developers - or has GT been the incumbent racing sim on consoles for years, and Forza has improved to "challenge" it and now everyone is hot and bothered?

Sort of. Both are incredible games with a lot to offer, so because of poltical (console) affiliation, the arguments get pedantic beyond logic. Here's a fake example so we don't get derailed by equally stupid real ones:

If GT shipped without Multiplayer, the (illogical) GT fans would suddenly claim that Multiplayer was not even necessary for racing. If Forza shipped without livery editors, Forza (nutbags) would claim it wasn't something anybody ever did.

The arguments in here about tail light translucency are easily some of the stupidest in gaf history. There is trolling on both sides, but it's embarassing no matter how you look at it. I have both consoles, and will get Forza because it a) Has my real life cars in it and b) will have better online implementation, but anyone looking at these games and claiming there's a graphical gulf iin either direction s a troll, or delusional.

Top Bottom