• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Witcher 3 patch 1.07 negatively impacts framerate, up to 8fps lower on XB1

Javin98

Banned
Keep in mind Sony and MS reserved 3 GB of RAM for the OS (a baffingly large amount, honestly). I'd love for both companies to release a GB or more. Dunno about Xone OS but FreeBSD should not need 3 GB of memory, unless Sony is doing some terrible practices.
Yeah, but there should be at least 5GB available to developers, right? That should be more than enough for ultra textures. Then again, like I said, a unified memory set up is quite different from the set up on PC.

I just can't imagine it happening and having a positive effect on performance, I mean i'm sure that the must've tried at some point to see how ultra runs.
Unless the consoles run out of RAM and/or bandwidth, I highly doubt it would affect performance. Textures typically has no effect on performance.

It runs with 60 FPS and some graphical downgrades or 30 FPS without these downgrades.
What the hell are you talking about? What downgrades? If anything, there are visual upgrades to shadows, textures, AF and AA.

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah, but there should be at least 5GB available to developers, right? That should be more than enough for ultra textures. Then again, like I said, a unified memory set up is quite different from the set up on PC.

Why are people still talking as if Ultra textures are a thing? They are not, they are the same as high which is also used on the PS4.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Only talking about textures.
Oh ok. Yea I was responding the thelastword's notion that ps4 should basically run the game as if it was a high end pc at 30fps.

I don't think we should use a mediocre console developer like CDPR to gauge the potential of the PS4.
I must have a bad memory because I remember W2 looking and most of the time performing great on 360.

Unless the consoles run out of RAM and/or bandwidth, I highly doubt it would affect performance. Textures typically has no effect on performance.
Checking some sources apparently ultra textures have no visible difference quality wise. Which is surprising to say the least.

RyudBoy

Soooooo... why did they double buffer the XB1 version? Anyone come up with a good reason for this? I'd like to hear it.

Javin98

Banned
Why are people still talking as if Ultra textures are a thing? They are not, they are the same as high which is also used on the PS4.
Well, IIRC, the vegetation looks better at Ultra textures settings. Otherwise, yeah, the textures look the same.

Edzi

So I know a lot of the posts in these threads are pure hyperbole, but I'm still starting to get really bummed out from repeatedly hearing about how the console versions are inferior to PC. I bought the game originally on PS4 at launch, but am still fairly early into the game (under level 10, doing the bloody baron quest). Since I recently built a gaming PC, I was considering waiting a bit and just buying it on gog or steam the next time it goes for sale so I could stop feeling bad about going with the (significantly?) worse version of such a great game. Can anyone who has experience with both console and PC versions of the game tell me if this is something worth doing? Or should I just ignore the complaints and stick to my PS4 version?

EDIT: Oh man, it's $30 for a GOG code right now... I'm really tempted to do it just to compare the two versions for myself.

supersaw

The forced auto lock on combat crouch facing the boss bullshit is still in there. I thought the alternate movement mode would actually give me back some control when fighting bosses.

aaaaaand it's going back to Gamefly. Combat is not doing it for me at all, story is typical fantasy video game meh, graphics are average at best and performance is really bad. Was waiting to see if this patch would help, but only makes things worse. Hopefully they send me Batman AK this time -_-
facepalm.png

Kodros

Keep in mind Sony and MS reserved 3 GB of RAM for the OS (a baffingly large amount, honestly). I'd love for both companies to release a GB or more. Dunno about Xone OS but FreeBSD should not need 3 GB of memory, unless Sony is doing some terrible practices.

Its not as if the OS needs 3GB of RAM, I would imagine that they are just holding on to it for now to future proof the system. Ps3 had lots of issues because there wasn't enough RAM for os features later in its life. Once you allow for more game RAM, you can't get that back later.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So I know a lot of the posts in these threads are pure hyperbole, but I'm still starting to get really bummed out from repeatedly hearing about how the console versions are inferior to PC.

Unless the port is broken or barebones this will always be the case, and it is especially true for open world games where more obvious concessions need to be made in rendering to maintain performance on console versus the theoretically limitless ceiling on PCs. Optimisation, extras, tweakability, etc all vary of course, but generally the thumb rule with multi-platform open world games is that if you've got a decent gaming PC it will always be the noticeably better option.

Wild Hunt isn't without issues on PC, but I wouldn't trade mine in for a PS4 build. What are your specs?

komorebi

So I know a lot of the posts in these threads are pure hyperbole, but I'm still starting to get really bummed out from repeatedly hearing about how the console versions are inferior to PC. I bought the game originally on PS4 at launch, but am still fairly early into the game (under level 10, doing the bloody baron quest). Since I recently built a gaming PC, I was considering waiting a bit and just buying it on gog or steam the next time it goes for sale so I could stop feeling bad about going with the (significantly?) worse version of such a great game. Can anyone who has experience with both console and PC versions of the game tell me if this is something worth doing? Or should I just ignore the complaints and stick to my PS4 version?

EDIT: Oh man, it's $30 for a GOG code right now... I'm really tempted to do it just to compare the two versions for myself.

If you have a gaming rig then definitely get the PC version. Sell the PS4 copy and jump on a cheap code. You won't regret it.

Edzi

Unless the port is broken or barebones this will always be the case, and it is especially true for open world games where more obvious concessions need to be made in rendering to maintain performance on console versus the theoretically limitless ceiling on PCs. Optimisation, extras, tweakability, etc all vary of course, but generally the thumb rule with multi-platform open world games is that if you've got a decent gaming PC it will always be the noticeably better option.

Wild Hunt isn't without issues on PC, but I wouldn't trade mine in for a PS4 build. What are your specs?

If you have a gaming rig then definitely get the PC version. Sell the PS4 copy and jump on a cheap code. You won't regret it.

I just caved and bought it for GOG from the GMG VIP sale for $30. Figured it'd be worth it at that price just to see the difference. I'm pretty sure my pc can run it (i7-4790k CPU, GTX970 GPU, memory is 16GB) but I'm not really sure how high I can put the settings. Still pretty new to PC gaming.

Can't sell the PS4 version sadly, as I bought it digitally. I won't consider it a waste though, since I had a ton of fun playing it at launch.

komorebi

I just caved and bought it for GOG from the GMG VIP sale for $30. Figured it'd be worth it at that price just to see the difference. I'm pretty sure my pc can run it (i7-4790k CPU, GTX970 GPU, memory is 16GB) but I'm not really sure how high I can put the settings. Still pretty new to PC gaming.

Can't sell the PS4 version sadly, as I bought it digitally. I won't consider it a waste though, since I had a ton of fun playing it at launch.

Nice! I have a similar rig to yours but with a 980. With everything at Ultra settings except shadows on Very High (I think?) and Hair Works off I get 60fps with no dips (1080p). You should be fine if you tweak a bit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

You can max out the game at 1080p, which will alone look better than the PS4 build thanks to increased draw distance, and run better around 40 - 60fps depending on where you are and what you're doing. And if you're not fussed at losing average FPS you can shave off some performance by further tweaking rendering distance via the config file to make it look better again and continue running better than the console builds.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
After downloading the patch, the changes were certainly nice, but they didn't really change all that much and I still find certain things to be annoying.

The inventory menu is still frustratingly slow and sluggish, and crafting can be a major pain in the ass, especially when you are trying to build several components. Just trying to buy something from a vendor is a pain in the ass, since you have to scroll through several categories of crap just to get to the vendors side of the panel and their being a delay each time. Same with crafting. I want to craft something, but I realize I don't have all the supplies, so I have to back out of the crafting menu, try and find the item from the vendor and or see if I can buy supplies to craft it. Not to mention when you want to craft something you still have to scroll through all of the crap, when it would have made so much sense to allow you to hide items you have no interest in ever crafting. Yes, pinning the item helped, but it could have been SOOOO much better. Today, I decided to go after the Wolf DLC witcher gear and it took me well over an hour just to craft the stuff, due to all the switching back and forth between this and that. It's just a frustrating goddamn mess. In a future patch, maybe they should allow for a text only option that will improve the performance. If nothing else, please find a way to make it not so goddamn sluggish. It should not take 10-20 seconds between the time I tell the vendor I want to buy something and the time the selecting cursor is in the vendors panel. That adds up over time.

I get really pissy about such things, because its just frustrating to have so much of your time wasted when dealing with a poorly designed system. After about the 1000th time of entering and exiting the inventory menu, it just added up to a ton of time wasted.

In regards to Geralts movement. I never hated the original movement, but I never liked it either. It was something I tolerated and only hated it when dealing with areas when you are high up with tight space and the inertia causes you to fall and die. Unfortunately that wasn't fixed, as Geralt will still take a few steps too many when you want to stop and momentum propels him forward or when you are stopped and you press forward and he darts like a race. Rarely did anything bad happen, but when it did it was frustrating to sit through the 1-2 minute reload.

Swimming is another issue when trying to exit the water. Sometimes you can or cant grab something.

I honestly think the whole inventory menu should be completely scrapped and reworked. It just plain sucks.

virtualS

I get the feeling these guys are skirting around the edges of the optimisation work required and are either not prepared or not able to dig in deep and move shit off the CPU like they should have been doing all along.

Horizon Zero Dawn shows what's possible.

meanspartan

Damn.... I'm never gonna play this game on PS4, huh? Been holding out on picking this up to see if the framerate gets fixed but it looks like it's just not going to happen. :/

Stop being ridiculous. The game plays and looks beautiful. The framerate could be improved, but it does not need to be "fixed", as that would imply it is broken, and it isn't.

How the fuck did you make it through last gen if a game not being locked 30 at all times makes you not play it? And this isn't just any game, it's the best RPG in several years.

Play it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well, that's dumb.

Looks to me like it's a bug related to the bog that they are unable to fix as of yet, and now it has clawed it's way onto XB1 as well. There's no way they consciously decided this.

Still installing 1.07 in a heartbeat though, the other changes simply make it too good an upgrade.

meanspartan

aaaaaand it's going back to Gamefly. Combat is not doing it for me at all, story is typical fantasy video game meh, graphics are average at best and performance is really bad. Was waiting to see if this patch would help, but only makes things worse. Hopefully they send me Batman AK this time -_-

I never use the phrase "I can't even", but right now, I can't even.

The Witcher's graphics are average? The story is "meh" and "typical fantasy game"?

Are you maybe mixing this game up with DA:I?

I need to leave this thread. Jesus Christ. First people saying the framerate is "unplayable" now this.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-10070-1381432694-23.gif

Denton

You can set 1080p, post-process all on, settings ultra, just put foliage distance and shadows quality on high with hairworks off, and you should get very consistent 60+fps. Then you will know you should have never gotten a console version in the first place.

I'm not upset, but for all things I've pointed out, with the load times in general, texture loads and texture quality, inconsistent effects and below low settings.... Witcher 3 is very disappointing in light of that. I know the biggest issue is the framerate, but to me there's much more wrong with Witcher 3 on a technical basis on consoles. Like most of the other games I've highlighted as bad ports, W3 is yet another game that runs with worse assets on the PS4 where a weaker PC system has a better texture preset, faster load times of those textures and after deaths sequences, no effects below low, no inconsisitent Ao and Shadows and of course better filtering. There have been too many cases where such ports exists and we should not be seeing such efforts anymore.

Choosing the proper settings for a fixed hardware platform is a balancing act, sacrifices will have to be made. Load times being much longer on console doesn't surprise me one bit, both the Blu-Ray drive and the hard drive used in the PS4 are very slow compare to even 7200 rpm drives, never mind SSDs. Data must be loaded to RAM beforehand, it stands to reason that load times will suffer as a result. Don't forget that the RAM pool is shared for both the system and the graphics card. As for textures, Witcher 3 is not the only game where texture quality on PC is higher. I was as baffled by this as you were, but it was explained to me that factors such as bandwidth size and memory speed play a huge role as well. Lastly, the 750Ti is weaker than the PS4 gpu but it is newer (and apparently extremely efficient) tech and it is supported by a CPU with higher IPC. It isn's such a travesty that it manages to comlete with the PS4, it has been the case for almost every game out there.

With that kind of hardware it is a given that you will get much better performance and visual quality than your console 95% of the time. The only exceptions are porting disasters like Arkham Knight which are very rare.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Haha, what the fuck. And they said this was the patch that would "fix" the framerate on PS4. It clearly didn't, and instead made it much worse on XBO. What a mess.

Stop being ridiculous. The game plays and looks beautiful. The framerate could be improved, but it does not need to be "fixed", as that would imply it is broken, and it isn't.

How the fuck did you make it through last gen if a game not being locked 30 at all times makes you not play it? And this isn't just any game, it's the best RPG in several years.

Play it.

It's the worst performing PS4 game I've played, by far (ok, maybe Tower of Guns is worse, but then this is #2). Some drops from 30 I can live with, but prolonged bouts of gameplay locked at 20 simply isn't acceptable. It feels like utter shit.

The game does not play beautifully when it runs at 20 fps. And it's not just an issue with the swamp, it happens in numerous areas and in a lot of them during rain. Input gets laggy whenever this happens as well. Combat sucks at 20 fps.

Bottomline is they need to fix this. Revert XB1 changes, remove the lock from PS4 as well.

Renekton

I never use the phrase "I can't even", but right now, I can't even.

The Witcher's graphics are average? The story is "meh" and "typical fantasy game"?

Are you maybe mixing this game up with DA:I?
I feel it's not better than DA:I in most departments such as combat, storytelling, RPG skill variety, etc.

Great visuals definitely, I bought this to flex the GPU.

Perun

You must have gotten some Dragon Age game instead, mister. The story deals with prejudice (even racism™), among others themes, how the hell is that typical for a fantasy video game? Why you'd consider Witcher's graphics average at best is laughable and beyond comprehension, it's the best looking game out there for many. I hope you're trolling.

The forced auto lock on combat crouch facing the boss bullshit is still in there. I thought the alternate movement mode would actually give me back some control when fighting bosses.
Yeah, I really hate this.

I'm on my second playthrough playing death march difficulty. I'm only level 4 and get wrecked easily by a mere pack of wolves or nekkers. Trying to run away is nigh impossible as Geralt keeps stopping to turn back to face them.

I get the feeling these guys are skirting around the edges of the optimisation work required and are either not prepared or not able to dig in deep and move shit off the CPU like they should have been doing all along.

Horizon Zero Dawn shows what's possible.

Can we stop comparing games that are actually available and games that no one has ever played yet?

Was the input lag always this bad on PS4? This was never a problem for me, but now it's as bad as GTA 5. TV settings still the same (game mode enabled), other games are fine.

I can't speak for the console versions but my average fps on pc seems to be better than before. Loading seems sligtly better.

The control scheme (new) is the real godsend

Ganondolf

I assume locking the framerate at 20fps (solid) would give the perception of it being smoother than being say 28fps with constant dips.

I completed the game before the 1.07 patch was released and although there was some issues it ran well enough on ps4 to not ruin the experience.

R3TRODYCE

aaaaaand it's going back to Gamefly. Combat is not doing it for me at all, story is typical fantasy video game meh, graphics are average at best.
Same way I felt. Geralt might be the worst main character I've played as in a long time.

murgo

Awesome, I stopped playing to wait for this patch and now this. I thought this patch was supposed to IMPROVE performance on PS4 :(

Gurish

I assume locking the framerate at 20fps (solid) would give the perception of it being smoother than being say 28fps with constant dips.

I completed the game before the 1.07 patch was released and although there was some issues it ran well enough on ps4 to not ruin the experience.
Yea I agree, with all of its problems it was still good enough, I think that if a console player found it to be unbearable because of a few drops he should get a PC.

GTA5 on PS3 was worse than this and most people could play it, if performance is really important to you than you are going to have a hard time on consoles, if not now than later this gen, when games that will push the hardware to the limit (like GTA5 and TLOU) will come out.

tuxfool

Banned
Well, IIRC, the vegetation looks better at Ultra textures settings. Otherwise, yeah, the textures look the same.

That is only because at ultra it sets the mipmap lod bias to a negative number, causing more detailed mipmaps to show up closer to the camera.

thelastword

Banned
I think you're vastly overestimating what the console is capable of if you think that it this game should be running not only better effects but also ultra textures.
You need to read before you respond, I think I've expressed the technical issues with Witcher 3 a million times already. The console versions have abysmal load times, what takes a few seconds on PC takes almost a minute on consoles (after death sequences), pc hard-drives are not from the future. It has inconsistent textures and filtering (bouts of medium textures mixed in with high coupled with low AF at times (4x) makes ground textures look soupy. Shadows and AO are generally at medium quality, but there are times when you will see shadows and AO quality that looks worse than the lower setting. The PS4 version is missing simple shaders on water that the lowest preset on PC has. Pop-in is ridiculous, shameful even, just look at the video in the OP, no need to go further and witness the nasty pop-in and how long it takes for textures to load on buildings as you ride through......

Btw, the 750ti, a lower end card with 2GB of ram handles Ultra textures, why? it's because textures on the Witcher 3 are not amazing, it never goes beyond 1.8GB of Vram. The PS4 has handled much higher quality textures before, it handled mordor's textures on high which uses more vram than Witcher 3's paltry 1.8 GB at max. Ultra textures allows for better caching, it's good for the 750ti, it's double good for the PS4. The problems with their streaming engine on consoles is a joke, bad pop-in, slow loading textures at a mix of mid-high that uses even less vram than ultra, yet the textures still loads like molasses.

The 750ti is such a beast to handle all these things that the more powerful PS4 can't, yet it's languishing in deficit of double digits in other games with certain settings dialed back. I'd wager that the textures would be on low and the load times would still be awful on consoles. Med-high textures, where is the performance gains in texture loads and framerate? also, settings at lower than low, where are the performance gains..... With these type of settings the PS4 should be running this at closer to 60fps. This is a joke of a port, that the PS4 is using lower settings than inferior hardware and it still falls to the teens in cutscenes and running at 20fps in gameplay, it could not be clearer.

There are deep-rooted issues with this game on consoles, streaming engine sucks, load times suck, assets are at abysmal settings and still no performance gains. At this point, I think they would have to redo this game ground up as a remaster concentrating on the consoles, it's clear they can't simply patch this. I imagine the only way to fix this is to patch the whole game.

it also doesn't run at 60fps locked. In stressful situations it can go as low as 46 fps.
Like for a split second in the bloater fight? TLOU runs 60fps 99% of the time. The ports I was talking about don't come close to that on PS4, they don't look better than TLOU and they don't have better effects.

Oh ok. Yea I was responding the thelastword's notion that ps4 should basically run the game as if it was a high end pc at 30fps.

Really, is that what you do? and you always play the victim in most threads I've seen of you. I have never said that, as a matter of fact, in this very thread, hell, to the very post which you quoted..(the one just above your post).. .I said this....
thelastword said:
You'll never see me asking that Witcher 3 perform better on PS4 than an 980GTX with hairworks on etc.....I'm simply asking that games run better on better hardware, that lesser hardware should not outperform better hardware.

Choosing the proper settings for a fixed hardware platform is a balancing act, sacrifices will have to be made. Load times being much longer on console doesn't surprise me one bit, both the Blu-Ray drive and the hard drive used in the PS4 are very slow compare to even 7200 rpm drives, never mind SSDs. Data must be loaded to RAM beforehand, it stands to reason that load times will suffer as a result. Don't forget that the RAM pool is shared for both the system and the graphics card. As for textures, Witcher 3 is not the only game where texture quality on PC is higher. I was as baffled by this as you were, but it was explained to me that factors such as bandwidth size and memory speed play a huge role as well. Lastly, the 750Ti is weaker than the PS4 gpu but it is newer (and apparently extremely efficient) tech and it is supported by a CPU with higher IPC. It isn's such a travesty that it manages to comlete with the PS4, it has been the case for almost every game out there.

With that kind of hardware it is a given that you will get much better performance and visual quality than your console 95% of the time. The only exceptions are porting disasters like Arkham Knight which are very rare.
You can't make an argument when the port in question is a bad one with better performance and assets (texture loads, load times, water, shadows, AO) on lesser hardware. If the 970GTX was struggling with Witcher, I'd say the PS4 version would be in line for such downgrades, not when lesser hardware has better assets. Just recently the XB1 version run the game at a more consistent clip. This is not the game that you use to make that example.

In any case, every single PS4 game is installed on the HDD, this means that the bluray factor you mentioned is invalidated, but despite that, the PS4 bluray drive is much faster than the PS3 BR drive anyway. Do you believe that the persons who own Witcher 3 digitally have better loadtimes over those who own it on bluray? It doesn't work that way.

The PS4 has more than enough ram to load med-high textures (768MB to 1024GB most probably) and assets into memory for a smooth non-janky looking and performing game. Batman AK is superior in every facet where Witcher 3 fails on the same hardware. Now check batman's textures, load times, pop-in (or lack there of) and effects and that gets you even more perspective on the matter, (that is..) if the better assets on the inferior 750ti or the better performance on the XB1 does not prove it enough already.

I'd also let you know, that 7200rpm drives does not give you a ratio of 50:5 seconds when it comes to loadtimes over a 5400rpm drive, not even super super ssd drives will give you such returns. It should also be known that 5 second load times on PC was the result of a stock drive on the i3/750ti setup or any pc for that matter.

Top Bottom