• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Parity is a hell of a Clause

JaggedSac

Everything's gonna be OK, devs. Stop sweating it. I know Phil and Chris probably don't like me much from my prior comments on the clause (Hi guys!) - but at this point, in today's landscape, in today's MS - stop sweating it. You will be fine.

It sucks that you have to bend a few rules and have a conversation to get the same end result with person A that person B gave you without any hassle - but business sucks. That's how it is. Otherwise "business" would be called "no sweat". MS is INSANELY easy to reach out to.

As a dev that signed with MS and Sony when the parity clause was crafted in stone and not silly putty like it is today - stop sweating it. You will be fine with a staged platform release.

Just saying. He meant exactly what he said. Don't read so far into it, everyone. Its not a huge hurdle anymore. I have to give credit where it is due. Still would love to see the language stripped completely but this will do for damn near everyone for now.

Good to hear.

Kayant

If you're willing to AbsintheGames can you confirm what Skyrise said about the contract still being the same as it was day one?

Edit -

Thanks a ton! I was actually meaning to go back and do an in depth analysis on the list and also on some upcoming titles such as Race the Sun, Don't Starve, Binding of Isaac, SuperMega Baseball, Awesomenauts Assemble, and some others to see if they have anything new or if they are the same content.

Really appreciate the effort put in on research and links. Seems I was also wrong about a few titles that actually launched first on Xbox.

I'll try and look into upcoming games when I get home later.

Sorry for the late reply but looking forward to it.

The competitive platform that is running away with the console market and is ideally positioned to strong arm devs in this manner chooses not to.

That speaks volumes.
Truth.

The narrative would switch to 100% positive so quickly, your head would spin.
Also probably true; most people seem to have fairly short memories.

Really wish some one would leak documents containing this infamous policy.
Sangria posted a link to a copy back on Page 2. The relevant clauses:
9.2 Features and content parity.

9.2.1 Each Base Game, Online Game Feature, and Xbox Live Arcade game will have at least the same features and content as any corresponding version of a Competitive Platform product, including all localization, Publisher subscriptions, and pack-in content from Publisher, subject to platform limitations. The parties will work together in good faith to address any platform limitations that may impact feature and content parity for the Xbox One version.

9.2.2 Each Premium Downloadable Content, Demo, and additional downloadable content will have at least the same features and content as any corresponding version of a Competitive Platform product, subject to platform limitation. In the event that Publisher is unable to comply with this Section 9.2.2, the parties will work together in good faith to determine a mutually acceptable alternative.

9.3 Simship with Competitive Platforms.

9.3.1 Publisher will Commercially Release the FPU and DFU of the Base Game(s), including Publisher subscriptions and Online Game Features that are included as part of each such Base Game [***].

9.3.2 Publisher will Commercially Release an Xbox Live Arcade game [***].

9.3.3 Publisher will Commercially Release each Premium Downloadable Content, Demo and additional downloadable content [***]. In the event that Publisher is unable to comply with this Section 9.3.3, the parties will work together in good faith to determine a mutually acceptable alternative.

So, basically the same as what Eurogamer leaked back in the 360 days, except it was a lot easier to read back then:
Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available. If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360.

How do you know it comes from their pocket?
Because no one ever complained about having their bills paid?

"I'm not going to fuck you over" is a world of difference from "I'm PROBABLY not going to fuck you over. Wink."
By forcing developers to agree to deliver parity while promising not to ask it of them, MS are effectively saying, "Oh, we're going to fuck you over. But not today, so drink up!!" That's why I don't understand those who are so eager to forgive; MS have made their attitudes and intentions clear, and they're just as willing and eager to do damage to the industry as you are to forgive them for it. Your eagerness to forgive and forget is why they're still doing it to us, 40 years on…

The Flash

Banned
I can kinda see where MS is coming from with the whole "add something for Xbox players" but it should absolutely not be a requirement. Shovel Knight should be the exception not the rule. The whole clause is just stupid to begin with. I really don't understand why it's still in place.

One of the devs of Skullgirls is a regular on the forum and he said that MS asked him to add a new character for the Xbone release, to which he replied that wasn't a reasonable request as he'd have to re-balance the whole game to accommodate this new character, at which point MS agreed and relented. I don't know how serious a suggestion it was or how hard MS pushed for that addition, but I got the impression from his posts that they're much more open than they used to be. I'll try to find his post.

EDIT - I may have been mistaken as I can't find that quote from Ravidrath which I was thinking of. All I can find is this, and it appears to be a hypothetical scenario.

I remember the same post, it was on the lines of "MS said 'add a character', then we said 'wtf? do you realise how much work that is?', and they said 'erm... oops no we didn't - forget that idea'".

But as you say it would be better with a source post!

I remember the same post, it was on the lines of "MS said 'add a character', then we said 'wtf? do you realise how much work that is?', and they said 'erm... oops no we didn't - forget that idea'".

But as you say it would be better with a source post!
It was in the last(?) parity thread…

Rather unexpectedly, I received a voice mail from Charla today. Ruh roh?

Called him back and it was actually... pretty great.

So we never got approval from MS to release, which I took to be a "No." But after my tweets, Phil asked them to look into it.

When they investigated it, they realized we'd gotten lost in the shuffle. They reviewed the case and agreed that a character is a huge ask for a fighting game, not just because of the cost, but also because you have to rebalance the entire game around it, it would split the community, etc.

Charla was extremely apologetic, and it looks like we're now clear to release on Xbox One.

So... I guess now we need to figure out if we could actually make money on that once our Sony exclusivity period is over? But I'm glad the option is at least open to us now.

While I had him, I did take the opportunity to challenge him on the policy a bit. He said they frequently revisit and debate it internally, so I'm hopeful reason and righteousness will prevail eventually.
I implored him not to take the exception — regardless of what the accountants said — because not only would he be pulling up the ladder behind him for other devs, he's actually weakening his own position in the future. He said he wasn't sure if he could take such a "principled stand" because he had to worry about feeding his team, but he was scheduled to discuss the parity clause with Phil, so he was gonna see how that went. To my knowledge, he hasn't commented on the issue since, but I haven't gone through his posts or anything.

Garthoff

Neo Member
I honestly don't see what is so bad with Spencer's response. I'm much more satisfied with having my patience rewarded with something unique than nothing at all.

PhatSaqs

Banned
No, they explicitly do not. Don't comment on things you have no knowledge of.
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JamesCoote/20131009/202022/Sony_Developer_Open_Day_Summary.php
So you saying this is inaccurate or nah?

....it was mentioned by Sony (in their talk about Strategic Content (again, see later)), that they were looking more for original content and were less interested in ports or games that had prior release on other platforms. Or alternatively, the point came up multiple times that they were looking to see what things the PlayStation version would have that made it better than versions on other platforms (read exclusive content or use of unique-to-PS hardware)

JaggedSac

Good read. First I've seen this.

Their parity stuff sounds a bit more lenient too:

•Parity - The experience of the player must be at the very least, the same as it is on other platforms. Ideally it is better or offers players something unique without being inferior. (My interpretation is that, for example, even if you had unique PS content, if the Xbox version has better graphics, that's not acceptable. Those graphics would have to at least be on-par)

Silvard

gogosox82

I'm confused. He's says there's no parity clause, but then what he describes sounds exactly like a parity clause with his "come talk to us and we will work out a deal" talk.

Your original wink wink comment implied that Sony does the same thing, just less overtly. There is a huge difference between asking devs if they want to put in extra work, versus forcing them, which is the way the Xbox parity clause has been portrayed.

Also, that blog post goes on to explain that the team that suggested the additions, Strategic Content, is a small team of people at Sony with a specific focus and that not all self-published indie games even go through them.

Strategic Content is a small team (literally 3 or 4 guys) that go through the games being developed for Sony platforms by indies and self-publishers, and pick out those of particular importance in terms of the wider context of what Sony are trying to do with the platform. Literally, the games of a larger, strategic importance.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Your original wink wink comment implied that Sony does the same thing, just less overtly. There is a huge difference between asking devs if they want to put in extra work, versus forcing them, which is the way the Xbox parity clause has been portrayed.
Well....that was exactly my interpretation of what was written there. There's no strict policy or enforcement but it seems that it might be suggested to devs to add PS specifics.
Its the only similarity i've seen written out there thus my answer to the dudes question as to whether there was anything similar. That is, if the meaning of the word similar still equates to having a slight resemblance while being different...

Silvard

Well....that was exactly my interpretation of what was written there. There's no strict policy or enforcement but it seems that it might be suggested to devs to add PS specifics.
Its the only similarity i've seen written out there thus my answer to the dudes question as to whether there was anything similar. That is, if the meaning of the word similar still equates to having a slight resemblance while being different...

Out of curiosity, did you read the entire article you linked? Because it explicitly states Strategic Content isn't policy, and that they aren't the gatekeepers. They are a small team offering incentives for titles that they find interesting in exchange for strategic content, not withholding access to the platform unless those demands are met. That is completely dissimilar to MS's.

JaggedSac

Out of curiosity, did you read the entire article you linked? Because it explicitly states Strategic Content isn't policy, and that they aren't the gatekeepers. They are a small team offering incentives for titles that they find interesting in exchange for strategic content, not withholding access to the platform unless those demands are met. That is completely dissimilar to MS's.

Excuse me if I misread the article, but it seemed to me the parity paragraph was listed under the items of consideration for the GPP. The GPP is required of all games that are to be published on Sony systems, not just ones singled out as Strategic Content. Strategic Content being titles that are the cream of the crop.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Sure did. I think you may have misread what "Strategic Content" is considered as.

BTW, I wasn't being malicious in posting or pointing out what I did. I bit of a cheeky attempt at responding, yes (as always) but all in all I was just answering the dudes question lol.

Silvard

Excuse me if I misread the article, but it seemed to me the parity paragraph was listed under the items of consideration for the GPP. The GPP is required of all games that are to be published on Sony systems, not just ones singled out as Strategic Content. Strategic Content being titles that are the cream of the crop.

The parity paragraph yeah, but that's not what we're talking about (nor is it similar to the purported parity clause of MS). PhatSaqs wink wink and similarity claims were based on the Strategic Content part of the article.

Sure did. I think you may have misread what "Strategic Content" is considered as.

Please elucidate.

pastrami

A couple things. First off, the article is a couple years old. Not sure if things have changed or things are the same, but I can't think of a single time a developer has complained about a Sony parity policy. Meanwhile, you have developers in this very thread telling us that a parity policy does in fact exist for Microsoft.

Second, that article was written before the developer had interacted with Sony in any meaningful way. It's just his notes from what Sony was presenting to a group of developers.

BTW, I wasn't being malicious in posting or pointing out what I did. I bit of a cheeky attempt at responding, yes (as always) but all in all I was just answering the dudes question lol.

You ignored the first part of the quote.

Later on, it was mentioned by Sony (in their talk about Strategic Content (again, see later)), that they were looking more for original content and were less interested in ports or games that had prior release on other platforms. Or alternatively, the point came up multiple times that they were looking to see what things the PlayStation version would have that made it better than versions on other platforms (read exclusive content or use of unique-to-PS hardware)

JaggedSac

A couple things. First off, the article is a couple years old. Not sure if things have changed or things are the same, but I can't think of a single time a developer has complained about a Sony parity policy. Meanwhile, you have developers in this very thread telling us that a parity policy does in fact exist for Microsoft.

Second, that article was written before the developer had interacted with Sony in any meaningful way. It's just his notes from what Sony was presenting to a group of developers.

Absolutely. Even if it were still in play, it seems like it would never be an issue given the power gap between the consoles and the fact that they don't require extra content.

Darksol

I honestly don't see what is so bad with Spencer's response. I'm much more satisfied with having my patience rewarded with something unique than nothing at all.

Would you prefer getting the same game as everybody else, or no game at all? Because that's effectively the result for a lot of devs, and is why MS is missing so many great indies already. Their parity clause ensures that often "nothing at all" is what you get.

Begaria

The footage is almost a month old, but Lobos Jr had the developer of Salt & Sanctuary (Ska Studios - James) come on for a stream and James re-iterated a little bit on the parity clause:

https://youtu.be/TkIusfNY0eQ?t=2h16m23s

"Will it ever come to Xbox?" - the question asked on stream.

James: "Prooobably not. The whole Xbox 360 to Xbox One thing was such a shame because we had a really good relationship with Microsoft, and like the switch over went really screwy. So we started talking to Sony and things were way better. Microsoft has it set up that if you don't launch in the same week as a Sony game, you're not allowed to launch at all. I guess there's some stipulations. Yeah it was a pretty publicized thing, called the launch parity clause. So agreeing with exclusivity with Sony means that unless Microsoft changes their policy, we'll have trouble putting it on Xbox One."

He ends this statement around 2h:17m:18sec

I have no idea if James has had any further discussion with MIcrosoft since announcing Salt & Sanctuary, or if he's aware of any changes that has happened with the parity clause since then, outside of when he said this a month ago.

Sydle

The footage is almost a month old, but Lobos Jr had the developer of Salt & Sanctuary (Ska Studios - James) come on for a stream and James re-iterated a little bit on the parity clause:

James: "Prooobably not. The whole Xbox 360 to Xbox One thing was such a shame because we had a really good relationship with Microsoft, and like the switch over went really screwy. So we started talking to Sony and things were way better. Microsoft has it set up that if you don't launch in the same week as a Sony game, you're not allowed to launch at all. I guess there's some stipulations. Yeah it was a pretty publicized thing, called the launch parity clause. So agreeing with exclusivity with Sony means that unless Microsoft changes their policy, we'll have trouble putting it on Xbox One."

I have no idea if James has had any further discussion with MIcrosoft since announcing Salt & Sanctuary, or if he's aware of any changes that has happened with the parity clause since then, outside of when he said this a month ago.

So upsetting to hear that a good relationship went sour over this policy.

The 360 had this terrific marketplace of Arcade and Indie games and now the One is struggling to get Indie games because of this policy. I wish there was a tell all somewhere on how it even gained traction. It seems so absurd no matter the reasons behind it.

I think they should allow indies to release the game later exactly the same. They could incentivize developers on special Xbox versions by making marketing deals where in exchange for something extra they will feature their game on the dashboard, talk about it in weekly podcasts by Major Nelson or in PR releases by Xbox Wire, create a monthly sizzle reel of the new games coming this month, or some other spotlight promotion. All carrot, no stick.

That's a shame, why doesn't he just go Talk to Them™?

GnawtyDog

Banned
What they said was:

Rather unexpectedly, I received a voice mail from Charla today. Ruh roh?

Called him back and it was actually... pretty great.

So we never got approval from MS to release, which I took to be a "No." But after my tweets, Phil asked them to look into it.

When they investigated it, they realized we'd gotten lost in the shuffle.

What my cynic side read: "You didn't do negative PR on me on twitter before", "Naturally, you got lost in the shuffle."

Gotta love business.

Amir0x

Banned
I find it so fucked up how this whole thing is playing out, because it's so transparently targeted to try to shush up critics.

If you ask about detail, they say they can't discuss it because everyone is NDA'd. You ask the other companies about their policies for indies, and they are open about much of this sort of stuff these days. If it was all sugar and rainbows, why is one company desperately trying to conceal the truth behind couched language and repeated garbage like what Spencer keeps saying?

Then every time a dev speaks about it on neoGAF, suddenly the next day they're contacted by Microsoft, told to sign an NDA, and then suddenly it's "oh it's not so bad anymore it used to be a lot worse but now they're working with us and we can put our game on the system."

At this point it seems the best route for any indie dev is basically to loudly go on neoGAF and complain about the red tape and nonsense and hoops and how many ways XBL on XBO is inconvenient compared to PSN, and then magically Phil Spencer will swoop to your twitter and caress you in his golden arms and tell you everything is going to be OK - and of course just enough swag so that you can come back on neoGAF and say it's not really that bad anymore, so people need to adjust their expectations cause it was once worse. Except of course they can't discuss specifically why, because NDA.

I'm sorry but these journalists need to do their damned job already and push back against this whole atmospheric of shady dealings. How come when Spencer does this wormy nonsense mealy speech for the billionth time about talking to them, the response from the game journalist wasn't "I'm sorry this is nonsense. You can't say you don't have a parity clause and then note a scenario in which a game comes out first for your competitor and needs to talk to you if they want an exemption for adding content." This TALK TO US™ clause is bullshit, full stop. This COMPLAIN ON NEOGAF FOR SUCCESS™ clause is obscene. This IF YOU WERE TIMED PS4/WII U EXCLUSIVE YOU REALLY SHOULD ADD SOMETHING TO YOUR RELEASE ON XBO BECAUSE DADDY KNOWS BEST FOR YOU™ clause is just offensive. Indies know what is best for Indies; Phil Spencer knows what is best for Phil Spencer alone.

In essence, this entire discussion as it stands shouldn't even have a reason to exist. But Microsoft keeps making reasons, because they're assholes on this subject and still don't get it.

Cuburt

Control.

It only works when you're the "top dog" though. You can basically dictate terms, but Microsoft are not longer in such a position to dictate such things.
Unless you are Nintendo.

They say motion controls are only optional and the whole industry decides they want to form the Ancient Society of No Nintendo where Nintendo can't even get parity of features with every other multiplat version, if they even get the multiplat game to begin with.

Amir0x

Banned
Unless you are Nintendo.

They say motion controls are only optional and the whole industry decides they want to form the Ancient Society of No Nintendo where Nintendo can't even get parity of features with every other multiplat version, if they even get the multiplat game to begin with.

that's Nintendo's fault for releasing woefully underpowered platforms in which half the time to get feature parity is either near impossible or would require such stringent overhaul of the engine that it's not financially worth it with the amount of sales potential there. The industry thrives on ports, and Nintendo keeps placing itself outside the porting game. Even Gamecube had the special mini-discs with 1.8GB of space or whatever limiting certain things. If it's not one thing it's another w/ Nintendo.

GnawtyDog

Banned
"There is. There isn't. I think so."
Mmmkay

Who knew black would make Chief's helmet look so sick? Nice avy. You should do a .png for transparency.

ETvgfdg.png

Amir0x, you're on fire today. Haha

I really do wonder why more journalists don't push back against this more. I guess because they don't care or don't want to make MS angry.

Toki767

I could've sworn I heard another developer who didn't get any word from Microsoft that talked about it here also say that Microsoft told them their application or whatever just got "lost in the shuffle".

That seems to be the new party line.

Amir0x

Banned
I could've sworn I heard another developer who didn't get any word from Microsoft that talked about it here also say that Microsoft told them their application or whatever just got "lost in the shuffle".

That seems to be the new party line.

Of course it got "lost in the shuffle." Apparently there's a "shuffle folder" for whenever a dev complains loudly on neoGAF. Then suddenly they explain sarcastically to their secretary "woe is me, I wish we could figure out what is wrong with our relationship with X dev" *WINK*, to which the secretary coyly wheels her chair around and goes to the bottom draw of her file cabinet and takes out a folder labeled "shuffle."

Then Chris Charla calls the dev and it's all "well hello there you need to forgive us we're a heee----uggge company and sometimes we can lose a application in our process. I hope you understand. I understand you have concerns? Whatever they are, forget 'em. For the trouble of losing your folder, we're making a special exemption just for you!"

Then the next day on NeoGAF:

IndieDEV-Y said:
man you know I'm not saying it's perfect but I was just contacted and it seems I just needed to ask more directly, silly me I guess I just assumed based on the media reporting (AMI'S NOTE: I WONDER WHY THE MEDIA REPORTING IS CONFUSING) and didn't push the issue further. But now I got an exemption and can release the game! I also discussed my concerns and while I can't comment on them (NDA), I will say it's totally better guys. Not perfect, but better! The complaints now are overblown! These are good people trying their hardest! (AMI'S NOTE: No they fucking aren't or they would end the NDA and stop this transparent bullshit in every media interview on the issue. It's not rocket science how to make this better if it was ACTUALLY better!)

It's so awesome this process is so obvious and streamlined.

Yeah. "Lost in the shuffle" like we're too stupid to read the patterns. So amazing that all these oversights get magically discovered as soon as a dev goes public with their dissatisfaction. I've said it time and time again: Phil Spencer is all talk.

Paz

Strategic Content pushing your game is not the same as releasing on a Sony platform, and this is all someone's opinion from a presentation and informal chat rather than an actual request to become a PlayStation developer.

I can't believe it's July 2015 and there are still massive threads debating a parity clause.

Edit - Also even with Strategic Content they aren't always insistent on you doing custom work for them to support your game, if they believe in it they'll support you anyway just as we have been despite our Wii U version (a competing platform) being an announced thing.

That's a shame, why doesn't he just go Talk to Them™?

Once he's Talked to Them™, he'll never be able to talk to Us™ in the same way. They come back after Talking™ to MS, and they seem like pod people :(

Edit: Amir0x got there first it seems. And said it better.

Of course it got "lost in the shuffle." Apparently there's a "shuffle folder" for whenever a dev complains loudly on neoGAF. Then suddenly they explain sarcastically to their secretary "woe is me, I wish we could figure out what is wrong with our relationship with X dev" *WINK*, to which the secretary coyly wheels her chair around and goes to the bottom draw of her file cabinet and takes out a folder labeled "shuffle."

Yeah, I regularly 'shuffle' emails I don't want into my junk folder, luckily Chris and Phil likely don't empty their 'shuffle' folder too often.- infinite OneDrive for the t-dogs.

When I get time today and I'm back at my desk I'll post some thoughts again. I am not about to go nuclear on some of you on my phone.

I need to call you out, Amirox. You'd better have a shitload of links from all these devs on neogaf changing their tune, links and verification that MS does secretly call up every loud dev and interviews with Chris and Phil to back up your claims.

A lot of your rhetoric is bullshit "pile on" to the nth degree. I hate the fucking clause and I even told you a while ago, personally, that I had enough reason from devs to sit back and watch this play out over time. And no - Chris or Phil never contacted me or MANY fucking devs that were loud. I sat back because I'm the guy that needs to be 100% sure before I do or say something publicly. I give people the time of day because that's who I am. When I needed to sit back and watch - I did. I didn't continue my tirade.

I guess not doing anything but yelling at an old cloud is a lot fucking easier than reaching out to people and asking questions eh?

Edit: You know? Not going to go nuclear at anyone. Instead I'll just say a few things.

Most devs today that still believe the parity clause is hardcore, actually don't know and simply regurgitate what they hear and read online and not actually engaging on their own to get details from the horse's mouth. We've seen this unfold on Twitter as we've seen ID call out several devs who never approached them and said they'd love to have them.

Most of you will probably take that as making one-off exceptions and I can see that. But today is different than even a few months ago.

I'm not bagging on devs, either. We are a busy bunch and the small time (like me) sometimes don't bother even approaching because hey - we're fucking nothing.
It would seem a fool's errand to try and attack that tank with a toothpick.

For transparency I did speak with Phil and Chris EXTREMELY briefly recently. THEY DID NOT APPROACH ME AND WE DID NOT DISCUSS ANY EXCEPTIONS NOR DO I HAVE ONE. I won't go into detail but they get nobody likes the clause (plus there's not many details).

Read the OP and stop reading it through your hyperbole between the lines goggles and take what Phil said at face value. Shit is different and yes - shit falls through the cracks. You can't very well bag on ID for that statement when developers aren't even trying to contact them about it - letting those details "fall through the cracks" and continue the same song and dance because they did not do their due diligence and follow up.

But that is yet ANOTHER fucking problem Phil needs to solve. Get that fucking messaging out to developers. If they have no clue the climate is changing - they won't bother to research. Its not about how to deliver that message - its about delivering it in the first fucking place. It should be dead as a doornail and developers still don't know. Consumers still don't know. That's a fucking problem they need to solve. They need to take that on their shoulders and get the word out that it's a much friendlier environment.

And by friendlier I feel they need to step up and lead with the carrot, not the stick. There's a lot they can do go incentivise developers to make exclusive content that might not have anything to do with a moneyhat. It can simply be REALLY going to bat for devs with PR and game announcements, making sure every last Xbox owner knows who the fuck is making Lotion Boy 8: The Lotioning. Or when Super Buttmuncher Prequel is about to drop. The most important thing for any small dev is getting out there and getting known which is very hard. That does a LOT more for devs than free devkits.

Bottom line is they get you, they get devs, they are making changes and they are piss poor at making sure devs know how they are TODAY - because devs still think it's fucking yesterday.

Again, so everyone gets it, I have no exemptions. I was never approached and I never asked for one. I like both indie programs from Sony and MS. Sony's is still better and I don't think MS needs to make theirs "better" as it is really good at the moment - but they can right just this one ship and with a little bit of planning do enough to differentiate themselves from the competition. Again, will be hard to beat Sony from my personal experience but they don't have to - they just have to do right and differentiate themselves a bit and they will be fine.

Peace!

W.S.

Amir0x, you're on fire today. Haha

I really do wonder why more journalists don't push back against this more. I guess because they don't care or don't want to make MS angry.

IGN posted about the whole indy situation in May so it's not like it hasn't been covered.

VG247 also had a pretty good interview with Nuclear Throne developer Vlambeer about the whole parity clause. This was published way back in 2013 though so it seems like MS has loosened up some since then although unfortunately there's still some lingering problems to this day.

Rymuth

Chris or Phil never contacted me or MANY fucking devs that were loud. I sat back because I'm the guy that needs to be 100% sure before I do or say something publicly. I give people the time of day because that's who I am. When I needed to sit back and watch - I did. I didn't continue my tirade.

But someone *DID* contact you. You told me so yourself six months ago-

We missed you. What happened to the write up you were supposed to work on? Hope you weren't given a cease and desist from Phil Spencer. :(

To answer your question yes and it was nobody from MS. Gotta go through the motions first.
Correct me if I'm wrong (and please do so if I am, I relish learning from my mistakes) but that doesn't sound like you reached a consensus and decided to sit back without outside influence.

I guess not doing anything but yelling at an old cloud is a lot fucking easier than reaching out to people and asking questions eh?
FWIW, everything I've ever said on this subject stems from what little investigation I've done. I was planning to create my own thread about this subject but relented when I realized my rhetoric wasn't up to snuff. Still kept my findings and here is what one Dev had to say to me-

I don't want to say we have any hostility toward Microsoft. But the treatment indies receive, both our experience and other reported experiences, have caused us to steer toward different waters. If not forever, then at least until the situation improves.

There's a lack of transparency in their current ID@XBOX policies, and the recent Xbox Live Indie Games payments problem left a bad taste in quite a few mouths. When the other platforms are making it easier and more convenient to put your games out in clear terms that are beneficial for the developer, it's hard to trust a company who won't plainly state how things work to developers without signing an NDA, and finds themselves without an answer for quite some time when payments stop for developers on an active service.

They aren't the only game in town, and they'd do better if they stopped acting like they were and treated indies with some respect. They need to mirror the standards set by other companies at the very least if they want to attract the disillusioned back their way, or things will never change.

This was 2 months ago, by the way.

When I get time today and I'm back at my desk I'll post some thoughts again. I am not about to go nuclear on some of you on my phone.

I need to call you out, Amirox. You'd better have a shitload of links from all these devs on neogaf changing their tune, links and verification that MS does secretly call up every loud dev and interviews with Chris and Phil to back up your claims.

A lot of your rhetoric is bullshit "pile on" to the nth degree. I hate the fucking clause and I even told you a while ago, personally, that I had enough reason from devs to sit back and watch this play out over time. And no - Chris or Phil never contacted me or MANY fucking devs that were loud. I sat back because I'm the guy that needs to be 100% sure before I do or say something publicly. I give people the time of day because that's who I am. When I needed to sit back and watch - I did. I didn't continue my tirade.

I'll be back later.

I mean, that's kind of hard considering there's an NDA and all that.

KageMaru

Lol at the transparency comment.

So are they treating this like MS and Sony have treated late ports of retail titles in the past? I recall both companies requiring extras be put into a game if it didn't release at the same time as the other versions.

I mean, that's kind of hard considering there's an NDA and all that.
Spencer and Charla are easy to reach. I still think they need to shoulder this but they are working towards making things better.

Only reason why I am adamant about quelling some hate is because I am not afraid to change my tune publicly. If I need to change my opinion for current events I have no shame in doing it.

Top Bottom