• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 29, 2015

Man, these kinds of sales splits between PS4 and Xbone make me really wonder how long MS envision throwing their full weight behind the product.

If they can't even achieve parity in the UK and US this early into the gen, before Sony WWS have started churning out the regular exclusives that pushed PS3 just ahead of the 360 last ten, what the heck is gonna happen when they do? MS just don't have the first party network to compete and they don't have the install base edge required for third party exclusivity deals to be practical.

Halo 5 really has to rocket launch the console in order for it to stand a chance imo, you've gotta imagine that the new MS leadership have got the axe hanging above Xbox divisions head just waiting for a reason to pull the plug. It's been lucky to survive the cull this long tbh.

If MS release an Apple TV-like device so that the Xbone isn't their de facto living room device then I really can't see a future for the Xbox division as is.

Shin-Ra

I just checked and yeah it's €40 over here. That's pricey indeed, and iirc the LoU remaster cost that much as well. €30 would be the perfect pricepoint for these remasters.
The Last of Us was only a year old (PS3 version held its price well), included a bunch of single and multiplayer DLC, was remastered by Naughty Dog themselves with 1080p60 re-pre-rendered cutscenes..

and it was the game of the generation.

Hasney

If MS release an Apple TV-like device so that the Xbone isn't their de facto living room device then I really can't see a future for the Xbox division as is.

Can't see that happening, or if they did, can't see it getting traction. Apple TV can barely get a foothold, that would bomb on arrival so hard.

EGM1966

This can probably be explained by people with both consoles buying multi platform games on PS4. This must be very worrying for MS going forward.
The number of dual console owners must be pretty small in UK I'd think. I suspect (without MS numbers or clear PS4/XB1 install base split) that the percentage splits are either down to either PS4 owners having a higher percentage of people buying the console for general games (i.e. multi-platform) vs Xbox (i.e. more Xbox owners bought for the exclusives) or just the general install base split or a combination of the two.

Either way it will of course be somewhat troubling to MS to always be trailing by a fair amount percentage wise as this will make life easier for Sony with respect to marketing deals, etc. and make life more difficult for MS with respect to securing the same deals.

The fact that games with MS deals still tend to sell more on PS4 is probably the particular concern as that indicates that MS is spending money advertising for Sony as people know there's a Sony version anyway and the exclusive marketing isn't really helping MS.

The only real exception recently has been ESO but after Skyrim on PS3 that doesn't surprose me. If ESO had sold more on PS4 that would have been the surprise as after such a high profile screw up you're pretty much guaranteed a dip on the next game with the franchise brand in the title. Still the percentage split wasn't massively in MS favour so even there the skew to PS4 was still somewhat apparent as you'd have expected PS4 sales to be horrible next to Xbox purely on franchise perception.

Can't see that happening, or if they did, can't see it getting traction. Apple TV can barely get a foothold, that would bomb on arrival so hard.

Yeah but what I mean is, I would imagine that the one major draw for MS management to keep stringing the Xbox along is because its basically their only foot in the living room space, and every major company in the tech world wants/needs a foot there.

As you say, it's not a space that has been clearly won by Apple or Google yet and MS probably don't want to suffer the same fate as they did with smartphones and get locked out - UNLESS they are able to offer services to whichever of the other two win, which seems like a more Nadella philosophy.

Nevertheless so long as the Xbox is MS's only hardware presence in the living room, that's a last 1UP for the Xbox. If they were to come out with literally anything else that plugged into a TV and streamed Microsoft services though, that would disappear and the Xbox would be a poorly profitable piece of kit with no real prospect of dominating it's market and it would seem to be an unwise decision financially to continue it.

I would evidence the renaming of Xbox Music to Groove as steps in this direction.

Also note that a redesigned Apple TV with an Apple Music like streaming service is expect Q4 2015/Q1 2016, presumably this will be when that device goes from being a "hobby" for Apple to the real deal. If they get that right, with apps and a reasonable priced subscription, then it could take over the market pretty heavily. The moment that happens, the entire TV TV TV SPORTS SPORTS angle disappears as a reason to maintain the Xbox division and it simply becomes an unprofitable games console in a company that makes the vast amount of it's profits from an operating system and enterprise services.

test_account

XP-39C²
40 (36) 3DS MONSTER HUNTER 4 ULTIMATE (CAPCOM)

Bloodborne is gone from the charts, but Monster Hunter is still charting after 5 months of release.
I'm not sure there are any relation between Monster Hunter 4 and Bloodborne, but it made me wonder, does anyone know why Bloodborne is still priced high? Monster Hunter 4 has a pricedrop of close to 40% some places (Amazon, ShopTo), but Bloodborne's price doesnt seem to have dropped much, if anything at all.

Chobel

How much did FFXIV sold in UK? I doubt it's anything significant, let alone affect the sales of ESO (PS4).

I'm not sure there are any relation between Monster Hunter 4 and Bloodborne, but it made me wonder, does anyone know why Bloodborne is still priced high? Monster Hunter 4 has a pricedrop of close to 40% some places (Amazon, ShopTo), but Bloodborne's price doesnt seem to have dropped much, if anything at all.

Maybe waiting for the expansion to drop the price?

klee123

And Monster Hunter has what to do with Bloodborne?

All Japanese games on Nintendo systems sell better, which seems to be the narrative Sammy and the others seems to be pushing as of late despite that it's BS.

Think the DQ rumors really got them upset. That DQXI to consoles hint thread was an amazing read.

Jigorath

Banned
All Japanese games on Nintendo systems sell better, which seems to be the narrative Sammy and the others seems to be pushing as of late despite that it's BS.

Think the DQ rumors really got them upset.

Yeah I figured Sammy Samusu was just pulling his usual Anti-Sony/Yay Nintendo console war crap.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Who gives a crap? What is their Ltd sales?

Why do people care about relative chart positioning so much?

test_account

XP-39C²
Maybe waiting for the expansion to drop the price?
That could be.

I give a crap, and continued sales is just as important as LTD.
I wouldnt say that, at least i cant think of any reasons. Its better to sell things fast than slow because then you get the money faster. Its better to sell 1 million copies in a month rather than in a year. The LTD is the most important thing. Continued sales is important if its help increase the LTD though.

EDIT: Continued sales can be interesting to see as well.

gtj1092

Who gives a crap? What is their Ltd sales?

Why do people care about relative chart positioning so much?

That's what I don't get. Why is it better for some for a game to sell 1000 copies a week for a year ultimately selling 52k copies rather than a game to sell 200k first week then drop out of the chart after a month or so? I'm sure publishers prefer the second model.

Moonstone

19 (NE) PS4 RORY MCILROY PGA TOUR (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

Bomba in Germany. Xbox One version not even in Top100.
Kratos debuts on #6.

Bruno MB

yW8JH.png

Germany:
Week 29, 2015 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (18) PS4 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (04) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
03 (01) PS4 F1 2015 (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
04 (02) PS4 BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
05 (05) PS4 THE WITCHER 3 - WILDE JAGD (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
06 (NE) PS4 GOD OF WAR III REMASTERED (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
07 (03) WIU YOSHI’S WOOLLY WORLD (NINTENDO)
08 (06) WIU SPLATOON (NINTENDO)
09 (08) PC DIE SIMS 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
10 (10) PS3 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
11 (09) PS4 THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: TAMRIEL UNLIMITED (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) (ZENIMAX)
12 (40) PS4 MITTELERDE: MORDORS SCHATTEN (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
13 (16) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
14 (__) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
15 (33) PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED: UNITY (UBISOFT)
16 (13) PS3 MINECRAFT - PLAYSTATION 3 EDITION (AK TRONIC)
17 (15) PC GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
18 (41) PS4 THE CREW (UBISOFT)
19 (NE) PS4 EA SPORTS RORY MCILROY PGA TOUR (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
20 (74) PS4 THE ORDER: 1886 (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
21 (14) PC THE WITCHER 3 - WILDE JAGD (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
22 (29) 3DS ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF (NINTENDO)
23 (20) 3DS TOMODACHI LIFE (NINTENDO)
24 (__) PS4 THE LAST OF US (REMASTERED) (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
25 (22) 3DS POKÉMON: OMEGA RUBIN (NINTENDO)
26 (28) PS4 FAR CRY 4 - LIMITED EDITION (UBISOFT)
27 (48) PS4 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
28 (__) PS4 THE EVIL WITHIN (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) (ZENIMAX)
29 (49) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
30 (21) 3DS POKÉMON: ALPHA SAPHIR (NINTENDO)
31 (44) PS3 FAR CRY 4 - LIMITED EDITION (UBISOFT)
32 (24) 3DS SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR NINTENDO 3DS (NINTENDO)
33 (27) PS4 MINECRAFT - PLAYSTATION 4 EDITION (AK TRONIC)
34 (19) 3DS LEGO JURASSIC WORLD (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
35 (35) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
36 (38) 360 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
37 (26) PC LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 15 (ASTRAGON)
38 (25) PS3 LEGO JURASSIC WORLD (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
39 (17) WIU LEGO JURASSIC WORLD (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
40 (32) 3DS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 (NINTENDO)
41 (07) XBO F1 2015 (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
42 (31) PS4 PROJECT CARS (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
43 (__) PS4 WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) (ZENIMAX)
44 (11) XBO BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
45 (34) 3DS MARIO KART 7 (NINTENDO)
46 (53) PS4 BATTLEFIELD: HARDLINE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
47 (69) PS4 NBA 2K15 (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
48 (39) PC DIE SIMS 4: AN DIE ARBEIT (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
49 (82) PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED IV - BLACK FLAG (PS4 EXKLUSIVE EDITION) (UBISOFT)
50 (79) PS4 WWE 2K15 (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)

Top 50

PS4 - 25
3DS - 8
PS3 - 6
PC - 5
WIU - 3
XBO - 2
360 - 1

Steroyd

19 (NE) PS4 RORY MCILROY PGA TOUR (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

Bomba in Germany. Xbox One version not even in Top100.
Kratos debuts on #6.

Even though I expected the Xbox One to do piss poor, this still surprises me.

Edit: Bloody hell the highest placing XBO title is at #41, did PGA Golf even release for XBO in Germany.

Xando

03 (01) PS4 F1 2015 (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
41 (07) XBO F1 2015 (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
Was the PS4 version on sale or why did it hold so well compared to the XB1 version?

Well, those are the retail charts, so digital sales are not counted. I would assume that digital sales ratio might look brighter for the XBO.

Because MS has the better online network, easier for them to get the digital sales. Just kidding.

I don't know, I just had the idea that XBO users might be more digital-buy-oriented as they got earlier used to the idea for having credit cards and paying online as it was established with the last gen. But as said, just an assumption, no evidence for this, as far as I know.

Steroyd

Well, those are the retail charts, so digital sales are not counted. I would assume that digital sales ratio might look brighter for the XBO.

Ratio's lower the higher the volume of units sold (5 out of 10 is 50%, 30k out of 100k is 30%), so while what you say may be true, It's very unlikely digital sales would make enough to be anything other than a fart in the wind.

KHlover

Banned
Splatoon still in a good position in Germany and France makes me happy. Actually considering it's the UK the UK position also isn't as bad as it could have been.

GnawtyDog

Banned
We need to swap the Japanese "what's an Xbox?" kid with a German one.

MS should be going hard for Germany, harder than their previous Japanese efforts, in a similar effort to UK.

Top 4 dogs: NA, UK, Japan, Germany.

Because MS has the better online network, easier for them to get the digital sales. Just kidding.

I don't know, I just had the idea that XBO users might be more digital-buy-oriented as they got earlier used to the idea for having credit cards and paying online as it was established with the last gen. But as said, just an assumption, no evidence for this, as far as I know.

The only evidence we have shows that the XB1 is pretty much a non-entity in Germany, MS fucked this up so badly. To think PS4 is so far ahead with pretty much just multiplatform releases, none of their first party franchises that were popular in Germany such as Gran Turismo and Uncharted have even been released yet.

It would be nice to get some hard numbers though, these chart positions consist of a lot of guess work. But looking at the charts, it does seem that at least in France things seem closer. Still a huge gap, but not what they have managed in Germany. I can see why MS are really trying hard to please at Gamescom but I really see everywhere that is not UK and a little bit of France as a lost cause.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah I knew what you meant just being difficult :p

Boooooo

Do you think I have a point though? With Germany sown up and France not far behind, it seems to make sense to pander to the French people and raise the profile of a show that wouldn't ordinarily have such a high profile. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of megatons there too just to keep the pot boiling.

Top Bottom