• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PLAYSTATION 3 "OFFICIALLY" (finally) Announced! Landing on US stores now!

Drame

drmcclin said:
I'm mostly interested in noise impressions.

I have a 60GB launch fatty and while it used to be dead silent, it now ramps up the fans pretty quickly no matter what I'm doing (blu-ray, dvds, games).

I'd say, just how silent the Slim runs, is the most important aspect for me.
As a owner of a lauch 60gb fatty, I know how loud this machine can get.

spwolf

drmcclin said:
I'm mostly interested in noise impressions.

I have a 60GB launch fatty and while it used to be dead silent, it now ramps up the fans pretty quickly no matter what I'm doing (blu-ray, dvds, games).

vacuum it at lower settings... if that does not help, open it up and clean the dust... dust is blocking the fans, they cant get enough air to cool hence they have to work much higher...

Somnia

JoeFenix said:
That's what I told him and the guy specificaly said that they have gigantic ''DO NOT SELL BEFORE SEPTEMBER 1ST'' stickers on them....

I'm not happy right now!
Call them back and tell them to do their god damn job and read their store informer which was sent out yesterday that said to ignore that sticker. Fucking idiots at that store.

Kydd BlaZe

JoeFenix said:
That's what I told him and the guy specificaly said that they have gigantic ''DO NOT SELL BEFORE SEPTEMBER 1ST'' stickers on them....

I'm not happy right now!
LMFAO, yeah they have no fucking clue what they are talking about. The rep at Best Buy that sold me the Slim even double-checked the system to make sure that it wasn't street dated.

Massa

spwolf said:
vacuum it at lower settings... if that does not help, open it up and clean the dust... dust is blocking the fans, they cant get enough air to cool hence they have to work much higher...

What do you mean by lower settings? Do you vacuum your PS3 while it's turned on?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Drame said:
I'd say, just how silent the Slim runs, is the most important aspect for me.
As a owner of a lauch 60gb fatty, I know how loud this machine can get.

It should be EXPONENTIALLY quieter than your 60 GB. I bought a new PS3 back in June (that has the 65nm chips, less hardware inside, etc..) and the difference between that one and my old 60 GB that YLOD on me was huge.

My 60 GB would run loud after 15-20 minutes and you could hear it from far away. The new PS3, even after playing games for 2+ hours, you can only hear the fan if you stand right up next to it, and even then its a very low hum, and the air coming out the back is slightly warm, not almost hot like the old units.

Seeing as the Slims have the 45nm chips, it should be even MORE quiet than mine....i think you'll be quite happy with the noise level.

khayri1

Neo Member
seriously thinkin about gettin one. I have a 20GB launch system that I upgraded to 500GB, but I want one as a 2nd Blu Ray ( the slim ) and I also can take it on the go, Especially if I can have my games saves on there as well.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Somnia said:
Call them back and tell them to do their god damn job and read their store informer which was sent out yesterday that said to ignore that sticker. Fucking idiots at that store.

Then knock over a magazine rack and kick a kid into the DS games like your name was Charlie Murphy.:D

-PXG-

Deadly Monk said:
UPDATE: All Gamestops in the east coast have overnight shipping for the slims. We got in 6 today, 4 were reserves. If you didn't reserve it, keep calling so you can get one held, we only got 2 extras for the week.

Going to pick mine up now!

Yep. My store got them in today as well.

Massa said:
What do you mean by lower settings? Do you vacuum your PS3 while it's turned on?

He means lower settings on the vacuum cleaner. The ps3 should most definitely be turned off and disconnected when cleaning it.

Although I don't think dust is the only factor. My 60gb is dust free and I clean it everyday, yet it still starts getting loud after about 15 minutes or so. It's been about 80-90 degrees where I live for the past couple of months and I have no AC. So I think if your room gets really hot, that will also cause the ps3 to start heating up, causing the fans to kick into high gear, even if the ps3 is clean and dust free.

HUELEN10

Less yapping "OMG THEY'RE AVAILABLE" and more answers please! Loudness, warmth, feel, button responsiveness...

So excited! To all who are getting it today, congrats! :D PS: Did Best Buy happen to have the stands in stock?

Drame

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
It should be EXPONENTIALLY quieter than your 60 GB. I bought a new PS3 back in June (that has the 65nm chips, less hardware inside, etc..) and the difference between that one and my old 60 GB that YLOD on me was huge.

My 60 GB would run loud after 15-20 minutes and you could hear it from far away. The new PS3, even after playing games for 2+ hours, you can only hear the fan if you stand right up next to it, and even then its a very low hum, and the air coming out the back is slightly warm, not almost hot like the old units.

Seeing as the Slims have the 45nm chips, it should be even MORE quiet than mine....i think you'll be quite happy with the noise level.

Good to hear!

I completely forgot about the consoles with 65nm chip. My friend bought one just before the summer and my god it's silent!

If the Slim is even more silent, how do I know it's on ;).
Well, the lights but still!

Kintaro

Hopefully my stores gets them in today. However, I live in the desert so...we'll see.

Any help here though?

Kintaro said:
Quick question. I'm picking up a slim and giving my fat PS3 to my girlfriend. What processes to I need to do to set up the fat PS3 for her and the Slim for myself. Also, how can I gameshare the existing PSN games I have with her on the fat? I've never done the whole game sharing thing before.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kintaro said:
Hopefully my stores gets them in today. However, I live in the desert so...we'll see.

Any help here though?

I did this with my brother's...it's been a while, but IIRC you just log into the second machine with the PSN account you used to buy the content. Activate that second console for that account (it's in account management). Then you can download all that account's stuff to that PS3 and play it, with other accounts too. But I think you have to leave the account on the system...if you delete it I think you lose access to the content. But I'm guessing if it's your GF's machine you'll want to leave that account so she can download new stuff you buy going forward.

Kintaro said:
I live on Cape Cod. our stores just received their PS3s in the last half hour. if we have em, everyone should be getting them today judging from past shipping times.

i'm waiting for Prime Trilogy to arrive before i head down there, and i can't afford to get my slim just yet, but i will definitely find out how many they got in and report back.

Pics incoming. :D

I'll hook it up in a minute and see how loud the noise is. I had a annoyingly loud 60GB so I'll be able to tell.

34hude1.jpg

Raistlin

spwolf said:

even grosser, part of the issue is that dust (ie, mostly dead skin cells) acts as an insulator when it is covering components

:x

So I tried to sign into PSN and get the message that....

"PlaystationNetwork is undergoing maintenance"

So how does this affect me deactivating my system?

Will I not be able to deactivate it then?

Also, can I deactivate it at a later point after I restore all the files onto my new slim?

Kintaro

gofreak said:
I did this with my brother's...it's been a while, but IIRC you just log into the second machine with the PSN account you used to buy the content. Activate that second console for that account (it's in account management). Then you can download all that account's stuff to that PS3 and play it, with other accounts too. But I think you have to leave the account on the system...if you delete it I think you lose access to the content. But I'm guessing if it's your GF's machine you'll want to leave that account so she can download new stuff you buy going forward.

So, basically, don't touch the PS3 I'm giving her besides making an account profile for her?

HUELEN10

CrayzeeCarl said:
He replied on youtube, saying the noise was his refrigerator. :\
I know, obvious lie as you can see no fridge reflection in the pic that I posted above. I still went along with it though, as I am curious to see how it might go down...

ChrisRT

Somnia said:
Gamestop shipped out slims to all stores yesterday, but it shipped from a warehouse that there is no way well get them today unless they overnighted them (unlikely). They did short us one =( thankfully my stores near me have extras.

Would be unlikely but the guy at a NYC Gamestop got one. So by that logic they did air mail them.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
VGChampion said:
Called a bunch of stores around me. Some say they're not sure what day they're getting the shipment and a lot of them say not until Sept. 1st. One Best Buy even said they're not getting it until Sept. 25 after being on hold forever. Guess I'll keep my Amazon order. :lol
I just picked up Batman and he said they may be in today. This is a small town I'm in so if he knows then they might be in sooner than later.

MikeE21286 said:
So I tried to sign into PSN and get the message that....

"PlaystationNetwork is undergoing maintenance"

So how does this affect me deactivating my system?

Will I not be able to deactivate it then?

Also, can I deactivate it at a later point after I restore all the files onto my new slim?
well if psn is down you can't deactivate of course. just wait until they are done with maintenance in 2+ hours. if you have any activations left on the PSN ID you can do it at another time. just don't forget.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I just picked up Batman and he said they may be in today. This is a small town I'm in so if he knows then they might be in sooner than later.

Check my post on the last page. Picked it up during lunch.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kintaro said:
So, basically, don't touch the PS3 I'm giving her besides making an account profile for her?

If the machine you're giving her is your old one, then yeah, you don't have to do anything except make her a new account. Sorry if I picked up on that wrong. On the new machine log in with your own account and activate it for your content. Et voila, two systems with the same access to your psn content.

DMPrince said:
well if psn is down you can't deactivate of course. just wait until they are done with maintenance in 2+ hours. if you have any activations left on the PSN ID you can do it at another time. just don't forget.

ok cool....yeah I have activations left. I'll just restore it on the slim then go back and deactivate it later when PSN is back up (that is hoping I get a slim today....my Gamestop said they'd have em in though, so..)

Somnia

Off to get my PS3 now. My Store just got theirs in. We are located in IL. so it looks like a lot of stores will be getting these things in today.

ChrisRT

Well, Gamestop just said mine was in. Anyone need photos and any info? I could leave now and pick it up. Would take about 40 mins.

Top Bottom