• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PLAYSTATION 3 "OFFICIALLY" (finally) Announced! Landing on US stores now!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
TTP said:
It's not just the Slim. The 80GB model flash is the same. You need to download the update via PC upon restoring.
Yea this is standard procedure for replacing the HDD, nothing to do with the Slim.

womfalcs3

Banned
How likely is it that Amazon delays the ship date they originally estimated for me? Mine is August 31st.

I ask because they're currently out of stock, and they say new orders will ship within 1 or 2 months.

Spaulding said:
Yes, pretty much. When my 60GB died I bought a new 80GB PS3. After the restore all the copy-protected savegames were gone.

Just check the manual for this:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/backuputility.html

Some types of backed up data can be restored on another PS3™ system. The types of data that can be restored on another system are as follows:
- Saved data from PLAYSTATION®3 format software *1
- Image files under (Photo)
- Music files under (Music) *2
- Video files under (Video) *2
- Bookmarks added under (Internet Browser)
- Terms that were added using (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Add/Edit Term], or predictive terms that were "learned" by the on-screen keyboard

*1 Copy-protected data cannot be restored. Also, saved data that has been restored may not be usable in some games.
*2 Does not include copyright-protected data.

After my 60 gig died and I got a new one from sony all the back-up saves were restored.
Including the burnout one, which I believe is also copy-protected.
All the game-content had to be redownloaded though...

edit: SC IV data was also restored

Animation-Imp said:
After my 60 gig died and I got a new one from sony all the back-up saves were restored.

That's what I thought. I don't remember having lost any save when I switched from my old 60GB tp my 40GB.

gofreak said:
Some UK slim deals:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35553/PS3-Slim-down-to-22999

Mostly about 'the retailer that shall not be named' and it's £20 off deal, but also mentions HMV is throwing in your choice of Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 2 or Quantum of Solace for free with the slim.

If consumers do not receive the machine on release day, then [the retailer that shall not be named] will compensate the consumer with £3.
:lol

Animation-Imp said:

It is not. You certainly didn't get any copy protected content recovered, such as game content.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Spaulding said:
Yes, pretty much. When my 60GB died I bought a new 80GB PS3. After the restore all the copy-protected savegames were gone.

Just check the manual for this:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/backuputility.html

Some types of backed up data can be restored on another PS3™ system. The types of data that can be restored on another system are as follows:
- Saved data from PLAYSTATION®3 format software *1
- Image files under (Photo)
- Music files under (Music) *2
- Video files under (Video) *2
- Bookmarks added under (Internet Browser)
- Terms that were added using (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Add/Edit Term], or predictive terms that were "learned" by the on-screen keyboard

*1 Copy-protected data cannot be restored. Also, saved data that has been restored may not be usable in some games.
*2 Does not include copyright-protected data.

Memo to self: before buying any PS3 game check if its save file is copy protected. If so, DO NOT BUY IT.

Boycott save file copy protecting games!

Zzoram

I have a PS3 Slim pre-ordered at EB Canada and most of it will be paid for with trade-in credit. I'm excited. It's always exciting to get new hardware.

If I created a PSN account on my PC to reserve my name, will I have to recover that account onto the PS3?

Zzoram said:
I have a PS3 Slim pre-ordered at EB Canada and most of it will be paid for with trade-in credit. I'm excited. It's always exciting to get new hardware.

If I created a PSN account on my PC to reserve my name, will I have to recover that account onto the PS3?

You'll just have to give those details and log in rather than go through the account set up process.

Also... NEW HARDWARE FOR THE WIN!

I have the 1st off work to drool... and wipe myself down.

BeeDog

Zzoram said:

You just log in on the same account you created, easy stuff.

EDIT: bah, beaten.

-viper-

Banned
TTP said:
Memo to self: before buying any PS3 game check if its save file is copy protected. If so, DO NOT BUY IT.

Is LittleBigPlanet copy protected? I know KZ2 is too but I've already got the Elite Trophy so I don't really care about that save.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TTP said:

it's funny that you say this , because devs mostly made copy protecting saves because of your beloved trophies .

Drame

-viper- said:
Trophy data isn't stored in game saves...

This made me wonder, if I transfer, say a Uncharted game save from my fatty to my Slim via USB-stick, I can continue my game right away, right?

But, can I get new trophies on that particular save, when I have transfered it to the Slim?

demosthenes said:
FYI, my RB2 save file was still around when I did a backup.

We played RB2 a ton, thus save file created.

I changed HDs. I backed up my 60GB into an external.

Restored it to the new 320GB and RB2 worked fine.

There are only problems when restoring to an other unit.
Another hd in the same unit is no problem at all.

I can also confirm that the Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Pixel Junk Monster saves were also restored to my new ps3.
The only game I can't vouch for is Killzone 2.
All the others mentioned in this thread were copy protected, but were also copied and restored using the back-up utility.

Hope this helps,
if some-one is able to confirm this (I went from a 60 gig to another 60 gig after my disc drive died),
then slim buyers shouldn't worry and just go ahead...

jsnepo

Drame said:
This made me wonder, if I transfer, say a Uncharted game save from my fatty to my Slim via USB-stick, I can continue my game right away, right?

But, can I get new trophies on that particular save, when I have transfered it to the Slim?

You mean trophies you haven't gotten yet? If yes, then my answer to your question is yes.

-PXG-

Why don't you guys just use the Backup function instead? That will allow you to copy ALL data, even the copy protected saves.

Thrakier

-PXG- said:
Why don't you guys just use the Backup function instead? That will allow you to copy ALL data, even the copy protected saves.

Nope, doesn't work. You can restore it on the same machine but not on another. There is a lot of data missing then, it's a mess.

Drame

jsnepo said:
You mean trophies you haven't gotten yet? If yes, then my answer to your question is yes.

Yup, that's what I meant, cheers.

-PXG- said:

You can't restore to a another console, as far as I know. I might be wrong though.

Animation-Imp said:
There are only problems when restoring to an other unit.
Another hd in the same unit is no problem at all.

I can also confirm that the Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Pixel Junk Monster saves were also restored to my new ps3.
The only game I can't vouch for is Killzone 2.
All the others mentioned in this thread were copy protected, but were also copied and restored using the back-up utility.

Hope this helps,
if some-one is able to confirm this (I went from a 60 gig to another 60 gig after my disc drive died),
then slim buyers shouldn't worry and just go ahead...

Quoted myself because it is possible to restore copy protected save data to another unit.
I know from experience...

Jostifer

The two very best games this year had copy protection. Killzone 2 and Demon's Souls.
I don't care too much about KZ2 as your multiplayer progress is obviously stored online but Demon's Souls. :*( Make sure you play it on your 'final' PS3.

Top Bottom