• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Pachislot 3.0 Reveal Trailer ; It's a retelling of Silent Hill 2

kmax

I can't wait for the MGS and Suikoden versions.

If it's one thing that Konami likes to do the most, it's to fuck with people.

A-V-B

tumblr_npzz1ij7H11txe091o6_400.gif

cersei-walk-of-shame.gif

MiguelItUp

What a way to just shit all over your fans. Good lord. Yo, that hot techno track @ 1:50 really screams Silent Hill. Also, that machine is colorful, it looks like Lisa Frank helped design it.

UrbanRats

"What exactly is a nightmare?"

Well, i think we know the answer to that, don't we?

They already did this:

SH-Arcade-Cabinet.png

why not a pachinko? Besides, basically every big IP has a pachinko version (except Nintendo stuff, maybe? I guess they don't want to be involved with gambling).
Here's some context, in case you missed it:
This becomes almost offensive though with the timing, with P.T. cancelled, a terrible HD edition before that, and then taking one of the most beloved titles in the franchise and turning it into a pachislot game, made more hilarious the original game is considered a masterpiece in story telling and subtlety, and the trailer is full of loud audio screams, jump scares, 'creepy' imagery like eyes and such which have no belonging. As a horror enthusiast, I half find it hilarious, half want to quietly sob to myself over this.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I always thought that pachinko machines were the ones with small balls on them.

All this examples in this thread are just shitty everyday gambling machines with screens showing flashy things and animations.
We already have those type of shit in Spain, just that with instead of videogame themed, using pirates, or dwarfs, or similar generic shit.

I heard someone they were trying to put a law against gambling in japan, couldnt that blow on Konami's faces as the only thing they would be left are the gyms?

How the fuck do you tell a story through a slot machine??? O__o

Match a certain combination on the reels, watch the next cutscene (which often triggers some kind of bonus round at the same time), repeat! ... Only problem is you'll often be watching the same cutscene over and over and over and over until you run out of money.

I really don't understand what business sense there is in hording all these classic videogame IPs just to turn them into gambling machines. I mean, do Silent Hills and Castlevania themes really drive that many additional players to their machines? Would these really pull in any more money than something generic like "Spooky Hills" or "Monster Castle" machines? It just doesn't seem like these IPs would have any real draw in this kind of venue... Surely licensing the IPs out to other developers/publishers or selling them outright would bring in more money?

UrbanRats

Its suppose to make people realize that its how the japanese industry works for years and old konami will have done the same.

People aren't mad at the Pachinko itself, people are mad because Konami shat on Silent Hill for a decade, with shitty outsourced cheap attempts at rebooting the series first, then with one of the worst HD remasters around, forever dooming the chance at even preserving those classic games they were unable to ever get on any digital platform (it's impossible to buy Silent Hill on PC, unless you hunt down used copies) and finally, to show fans a ray of hope with what looked an incredibly promising return to form (P.T.) just to spit in their face one more time, firing Kojima and canceling the project, removing P.T. from existence like it never even happened, and preventing people to even be able to try it, ever again.

THEN they come out with this insultingly shitty pachinko.
So the context matters.

Who kicked the dog? He's the one who's behind all this right? RIGHT?

It justs keeps on shitting on my favorite Konami IPs now...

It's clear that as much as you might hate Konami, Konami hates you more. Like, they really fucking hate the people who used to buy their games.

Zomba13

many big IPs has got pachislot version. But hating on Konami is currently a thread so the replies. Here are a few of them

Fatal Fury
Onimusha 3
Monster Hunter
Tekken
Resident Evil Remake
God Eater
Resident Evil 6
Crash Bandicoot
Metal Slug

Fatal Fury Sure. Why not.
Onimusha 3? You're not doing anything else with the IP, it's dead.
Monster Hunter? Active IP, plenty of games, new one coming out, why not have a tie in?
Tekken? Same as MH though also has that arcade pedigree.
RE Remake? RE has been given plenty of love on home consoles and hasn't long had it's HD version with a RE2 REmake HD just pitched.
God Eater? I don't know anything about it.
Crash Bandicoot? Well... That's weird. Like I don't understand but Crash is dead, why not make a stupid slot machine.
Metal Slug? I dunno what is going on with the series, they just seem to keep re-releasing the existing titles on everything so why not add a slot machine to the cash pile?

None of those are great, many I didn't know about I would rather a new entry or a remake of the entry over a slot machine any day though. I know slot machines are big money in Japan and consoles are dead so it's either make Pachinko shit or Mobile shit to fund your one console game or move to America.

Auctopus

Its suppose to make people realize that its how the japanese industry works for years and old konami will have done the same.

shh, Konami is a single entity that must be punished severely for making business decisions that earn them more money.

glaurung

The video dislikes are valid.

Whoever cut the music for this trailer should have his ears amputated. With a plastic spoon.

Fury451

Banned
It's like they specifically picked the most beloved SH game to do this to, just to twist the knife a little.

It's called Downpour and Book of Memories.

Downpour was great.

Well, maybe not "great", but it was better than Homecoming and Origins, and could've been good enough to be among the better games if it had more polish and budget.

Book of Memories was complete and utter garbage though as was the HD collection.

Piotrek

Considering the recent news about work conditions in Konami, I wouldn't even be surprised if it was made by the original development team.
Including assembling the machines themselves, of course.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
People aren't mad at the Pachinko itself, people are mad because Konami shat on Silent Hill for a decade, with shitty outsourced cheap attempts at rebooting the series first, then with one of the worst HD remasters around, forever dooming the chance at even preserving those classic games they were unable to ever get on any digital platform (it's impossible to buy Silent Hill on PC, unless you hunt down used copies) and finally, to show fans a ray of hope with what looked an incredibly promising return to form (P.T.) just to spit in their face one more time, firing Kojima and canceling the project, removing P.T. from existence like it never even happened, and preventing people to even be able to try it, ever again.

THEN they come out with this insultingly shitty pachinko.
So the context matters.

Japan has never viewed anything pachislot as insulting there.

Konami is splitted into various businesses from what i know, each making their own independent decisions. The guys deciding to make a sh pachislot has got nothing to do with the guys deciding on the games.

PooBone

After playing P.T. and seeing the potential.... this is the most god damn depressing thing in the world of video games.

GeeTeeCee

Oh, I just started playing Silent Hill 2 for the first time. I would've waited if I'd known Konami were releasing the definitive version of Silent Hill 2 it was always supposed to be.

Top Bottom