• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koshien 2015 | Japan National High School Baseball Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

so in that kind of situation the runner should always try to get past first so it's not a force out?

In that situation, on the ground ball in the infield, if you beat out the throw to first you're safe and won't try to advance, so still only two outs.

Beckx

welp, the winners of the first 2 games of the night will play each other on day 10. Yuugakkan better go practice with some pitching machines cranked up to 95.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Fell asleep during the first match and was kinda occupied during the second, here's hoping the 3rd game is solid.

Beckx

Crazy busy this morning so today's wrap up post will be short until I have time to come back and add more.

Wrap up info from the usual sources plus where I was watching, my own viewpoints.

Day 7:

Game 1: Tokai Daigaku Fuzoku Sagami 6 - Seiko Gakuin 1. I thought Seiko Gakuin's pitching was pretty good in this game but that 4 run first inning killed any chance they had. Tokaidai cruised through 8 innings on the strength of their back up starter Yoshida, but then brought out their ace to close the 9th. He's scary - hit 94 mph on the gun, which, by the way, makes him the 21st pitcher to throw 150km/h or higher at Koshien (spring & summer together) per Nikkan Sports. (Gun was installed at Koshien in 1992; also note that Satou Sena of Sendai Ikuei was clocked at 154 km/h in spring but is not on the list so there's an issue somewhere (I saw the game where he did that).) They have a very favorable draw for round 3 against Yuugakkan.

Game 2: Yuugakkan 5 - Kyushu Gakuin 3. A mild upset maybe? Yuugakkan hit more than expected, but they will be serious underdogs in the third round game.

Game 3: Sakushin Gakuin 10 - Ueda Nishi 6. Speaking of underdogs, props to Ueda Nishi for staying in this game.

Game 4: Chukyo Daigaku Fuzoku Chukyo 7 - Kagoshima Jitsugyo 3. The first matchup between winners of first round games. Winner now faces Kanto Daichi in the third round.

Day 8 preview:

I have been looking forward to this one for a while now - very exciting games on tap, I'm just sad I'll probably miss the Tsuruga Kehi - Hanamaki Higashi game. Favorite bolded.

Gm 1 8:00 広島新庄 Hiroshima Shinjo - 早実 Waseda Jitsugyo

Gm 2 10:30 東海大甲府 Tokai Daigaku Fuzoku Kofu - 下関商 Shimonoseki Shogyo

Gm 3 13:00 大阪偕星 Osaka Kaisei Gakuen - 九州国際大付 Kyushu Kokusai Daigaku Fuzuoku

Gm 4 15:30 敦賀気比 Tsuruga Kehi - 花巻東 Hanamaki Higashi

Beckx

RmqkqiK.jpg

Don't walk him! Throw fastballs!

Welp, there's his second RBI of Koshien and that's going to be all over the sports news for just a single.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yep. It's a fun but mostly worthless stat because it depends on having people get on before you, which isn't in your control. But it's a traditional stat and the media loves it.

ah ok, yeah it's a nice way to have multiple people contribute for 1 stat :p

rain = delay in BB? D:

Monumma

Yes, baseball is not played under rain. It's not safe to throw hard balls toward people in slippery conditions.

Also my screen went black for a minute and I just got back with bases loaded. What happened?

2 runs.
edit: double over CF and 2 other men walk across home plate. Hiroshima Shinjyou is ahead.

Beckx

rain = delay in BB? D:

yeah. it's not safe for a variety of reasons and it ruins the game.

huh...last video I could see looked like they had groundskeepers out but maybe it was just a long break or something? there is rain in the area but I guess not

but now we're back and Soujitsu has tied it! err, taken the lead!

Beckx

What just happened? I was away from the game and see Jason Coskrey tweeting "he caught it" and there's a region-locked clip from Asahi...I am assuming I missed a great catch to end that 6th inning.

Monumma

What just happened? I was away from the game and see Jason Coskrey tweeting "he caught it" and there's a region-locked clip from Asahi...I am assuming I missed a great catch to end that inning.

CF catched a ball "crashing" into the wall. The ball was not over the fence.

Edit: I'd probably be in a corner of the bullpen crying if I were that pitcher. As a viewer balls hit back to the pitcher's face are scaring.

Tied ball game. 6-6.

Beckx

Hiroshima Shinjyou Kantoku calls for a new pitcher to face Kiyomiya.

This game has been great but its not a pitching duel

Pitcher with a nice stab, Kiyomiya can't believe he caught it

Hiroshima Shinjyou has the douten runner at 3rd with 1 out...suicide squeeze? NO! Swing away and it's a hit!

Beckx

Hiroshima Shinjou has outhit Waseda Jitsugyo since the 5th.

And now both teams have used 4 pitchers

HOLY SHIT

Monumma

I mean, they got out from a 1 out, bases loaded situation allowing one run. Sadly for them it's the ninth inning, they only have a shot to tie this (not impossible, seeing the pitching in this game)

Beckx

I thought that batter had zero chance of hitting that pitcher and then swings at one waaaay outside and slaps it into the outfield.

Monumma

You only thought that because you didn't see the catch™ from before. Today he is that guy.

edit: Over. 7-6.
Should I risk a quick nap? let's see if I wake up again.

Beckx

No

;_;

I really liked Hiroshima Shinjo after watching their regional final, and then the first round game. I kind of wrote them off as having no chance but MAJOR PROPS to these kids gutting it out against the team all the rest of Japan media wanted to win. Goroshigeno says their coach is a genius with the moves he made and I have to agree.

Beckx

What I wouldn't give for the Tsuruga Kehi - Hanamaki Higashi game to be next.

Waseda Captain Katou Masaki gets the hero interview after his 4 hit night.

Second game up and going - I will not stick around much for this. I might wake up early and try to catch the end of the last game but I doubt it will overlap. we'll see.

Monumma

At the very least I'm back again to see if Tsuruga Kehi can perform better than in the first round. The game is starting now.

*Let's see what did i miss*... 9-1, ok, cool, not much to say... 10-9 with 3HR and a bunch of things bolded in goroshigeno summary. Damn.

edit: Hanamaki Higashi are first on the board. 1-0 in the middle of the third.
4-0, the spring champ have to step it up to avoid elimination.
And Hiranuma is now in LF.
3 run HR by Shinohara Ryou. Turuga Kehi is back in it.
And Hiranuma is back on the mound to start the 7th. He is not pitching well, I don't know if I agree with this. Another run. 5-3.
And another run in the 8th. 6-3. Hiranuma is a pale comparison to what he was in the spring. 7-3. 8-3.
Bottom of the 9th, 1 out, first and second. Can they do the miracle? No, they can't.

Beckx

Bleh. Osaka Kaisei and Tsuruga Kehi both out. :/ Day 8 wrap ups when I have enough coffee to get over the depression.

Beckx

Day 8 Wrap Up & Day 9 Preview

Wrap up from the usual suspects (I only watched the first game, which may have been the best game of Koshien so far this summer).

5 HRs last night - three in the Osaka Kaisei - Kyushu Kokusai Daigaku Fuzuoku game alone.

Game 1 Hiroshima Shinjo 6 - 7 Waseda Jitsugyo. Coming into the game it felt that Hiroshima Shinjo, making its first ever appearance at Koshien and up against 29-time participant Waseda Jitsugyo, had little chance. The media attention is all about Waseda's first year 1B Kiyomiya. What happened was an absolutely amazing game plan from the Hiroshima Shinjo coach and a gutsy performance by the players. They pushed Waseda Jitsugyo to limit - they had to use all four pitchers, none of whom really looked great. At the end of the day Hiroshima Shinjo just couldn't hold it down in the 9th and Waseda Jitsugyo got the go ahead run. Amazing performance for the school from HIroshima and certainly worrying for Waseda Jitsugyo's chances from here on out. Kiyomiya and C Katou are hitting well but the pitching is not good enough to win. They draw Tokaidai Kofu in the third round (day 10) and that has to be a concern since that team already knocked out Shizouka.

Game 2 Tokai Daigaku Fuzoku Kofu 9 - 1 Shimonoseki Shogyo. I didn't watch but I'm not really surprised by the result after Tokaidai Kofu put up 8 runs on Shizouka. Their game with Waseda Jitsugyo on Day 10 (first game) will be the most interesting match of the day, I think.

Game 3. Osaka Kaisei Gakuen 9 - 10 Kyushu Kokusai Daigaku Fuzuoku. Looks like I missed an amazing game here, but I'm pretty bummed at the result. I wanted to see the giant killers from Osaka go farther, but it wasn't to be. Winners face Kanto Daiichi in what could be another offensive showdown.

Game 4. Tsuruga Kehi 3 - 8 Hanamaki Higashi. Speaking of depressing results this was awful news to wake up to read - not the least because Tsuruga Kehi lost but also because Hiranuma was apparently a shadow of his Spring self. He didn't look right in the early innings of their first game but I thought he'd righted the ship - but no. So Tsuruga Kehi, the team I was rooting for, is out of the tournament and there are big questions about Hiranuma and the fall draft. I wonder if he will declare or go to college? It's not the end of the world, I don't mind rooting for Shohei Otani's school and they have an exciting style of play.

Day 9 preview - the final day of second round action is upon us, with the winners getting spots on Day 11 (assuming Sendai Ikuei wins, you know the rest of the field is hoping they draw Hanamaki Higashi so that one of those teams will get eliminated).

9:30 滝川二 Takigawa Daini - 仙台育英 Sendai Ikuei. Excited for this one - I get to watch Sato pitch for Sendai Ikuei for the first time (since their first game, a 12-1 cruiser, was the late game).

12:00 津商 Tsu Shogyo - 鳥羽 Toba. Tsu Shogyo was a surprise winner in their first round game and I'm definitely rooting to see this first time participant keep advancing.

14:30 高崎健康福祉大高崎 Takasaki Kenko Fukushi Daigaku Takasaki - 創成館 Sohseikan. Another first time Koshien school in Sohseikan. Sohseikan upset Tenri to advance.

Looking ahead, from here on out things will go fast. Third round games will be Days 10 and 11. All four quarterfinal games will take place the next day, Day 12. Then we have an off day, with Day 13 giving us both semifinals. Finals are the following day at 1pm Aug. 20 (Japan time - midnight Aug. 20 East coast).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom