• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senbatsu 2016 | Japan National High School Baseball Invitational Tournament (Koshien)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

That was a fantastic game. What a back and forth in the last 2 innings.

Really good game. Yoshitaka is a solid ace but Akashi Sho is goong to need a lot more offense to get past Ryukoku Heian in the next round.

Kanto Dai-ichi up next!

Monumma

I missed the first game. At least i'm here for Kanto Daiichi. Having a substitute for Okoe already in the school is kinda stupid, btw. And to think that the guy wasn't even on the roster this summer, the left fielder Takei was the token second year with the number 18.

Game 2.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2015/12/previewing-projected-field-touhou-aichi.html

goroshigeno said:
Touhou - Pitching B-, Offense C-
In looking at Fujishima's numbers as a whole, Touhou gets a bump up. Yes, there are issues with his stamina should they make a deep run, but that doesn't change the fact that he allows them to make a deep run in the first place. Matsuyama's numbers meanwhile look good, but in his relief appearance against Aomori Yamada it wasn't as gaudy so perhaps we have to scale that back. Doesn't mean he can serve as an effective reliever, it's just you can't believe the numbers at face value.

Offensively, the team isn't as bad as the grade showed before. Yes, they have gaudy numbers against no-name teams, but they also beat Chuukyoudai Chuukyou, Aikoudai Meiden and Mie. Not powerhouses at this point in time, but still brand name teams.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2015/12/previewing-projected-field-kanto-dai.html

goroshigeno said:
Kanto Dai-ichi - Pitching B- C, Offense B-
The pitching gets one of more bigger downgrades. The team's ERA seems to hide a bad walk rate and an above average amount of baserunners. Yes, their competition was strong, but it actually wasn't in those games where their walk rates took a hit - and that is even more concerning. The offense will keep them in games, with a few holes but can certainly hit gappers.

Monumma

I am joking when i talk about him stepping in for Okoe. But he does have a lot of steals.

I am sure he is not as good as Okoe, but even goroshigeno was kinda bullish on Miyamoto.

Here are the stats fof Fujishima as a freshman 2 years ago, as he strikes out the first batter.

edit: and the pitcher, batting 4th, put his team in the lead with the RBI single after striking out 3.

why?

Monumma

Fuijishima Kento went 8.2IP, 2H, 11K (3BB), 0ER and now for some reason CF Matsuyama is closing it out. Great leaping catch by 1B Matsumoto to end the game.

Only 1 hit according to the website.

Monumma

Game 3.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/search/label/Sapporo Dai-ichi

goroshigeno said:
Sapporo Dai-ichi - Pitching C-, Offense D+
So, the pitching gets downgraded because ace Kamide's peripherals are worse than expected with a K/9 sitting just above 7. And even in their win against Kanto Dai-ichi they still gave up 4 runs. The offense gets a bump up because the team is willing to take walks it seems, even when against better teams (this isn't generally the case). But there are still black holes in the lineup and the weak competition makes the stellar batting averages not so impressive.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2015/12/previewing-projected-field-kisaradzu.html

goroshigeno said:
Kisaradzu Sougou - Pitching B+ (extra points for better depth), Offense C
No change. The tandem of Hayakawa and Takeda should suit the team well, but both are lefties. Their only serviceable righty, Ookuma, is barely usable. So facing a team with strong righties might be a problem. The offense, while they do take walks, struggle to bring the runners home.

edit: I think I found the worst 2 uniforms of the tournament.

Elepsis

Neo Member
Man, nerves of steel on the Sapporo ace. Getting the K swinging with the bases loaded. I thought it was all over there.

Edit: And so Hayakawa has to one-up him and strike out the entire side after loading the bases...

Beckx

man, Fujushima is legit, huh? I made a matchup mistake yesterday - Akashi Sho doesn't play Heian next, they get Toho. So that game is going to be fun. Yoshitaka with 10Ks yesterday v Fujushima who had 11Ks.

Toho is a lot better hitting team though.

Sad to see Sapporo Dai-ichi lose. Kisarazu Sogo gets the winner of tonight's first game. Which barring a meteor strike is going to be Osaka Toin.

Beckx

Time to play the Imperial March, Osaka Toin is up.

4-1 Tosa 土佐 v Osaka Toin 大阪桐蔭

goroshigeno: "Tosa shouldn't stand much of a chance here in this one against Osaka Touin unless they can somehow draw walks and turn that into runs. Other than that, might as well fill that line in now."

4-2 Shi Wakayama 市和歌山 v Nanyo Ko 南陽工

goroshigeno: "Both pitching staffs are underwhelming making this a volatile matchup. Shiritsu Wakayama has proven to put up good numbers against lesser competition, so that might favor them, but Nanyou Kougyou for some reason can make runs appear from almost nothing. Like I said before though, I need Nanyou Kougyou to prove they can do that, so for now Shiritsu Wakayama has the edge, if only slight."

4-3 Shugakukan 秀岳館 v Hanasaki Tokuharu 花咲徳栄

goroshigeno: "The pitching staffs are both solid, though perhaps the edge goes to Hanasaki Tokuharu as Takahashi shouldn't have stamina issues this early. Offensively, both teams have holes, but Shuugakukan's offense - at least in getting baserunners, was solid throughout while Hanasaki Tokuharu's offense was a little more inconsistent. I think it will hinge on when Kajisha-kantoku of Shuugakukan sends in ace Arimura. As mentioned in the previews, while Arimura has the majority of the innings, he is more of a control pitcher, while the relief starters are more K artists (at least it seems so). If Arimura can hold his own, then Shuugakukan probably has the edge. If not, well the result's fairly obvious."

Monumma

Game 1.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2016/02/reviewing-field-tosa-kochi.html

goroshigeno said:
Tosa - Pitching D+, Offense D-
It's a sad state of affairs when I had talked about Shikoku having the better teams for the floating bid compared to Chuugoku, and Tosa's numbers aren't very good. In fact, of their 7 games, their keys revolve around a defeat against the 21st century invitee Shoudoshima, and 2 losses to Meitoku Gijyuku...

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2015/12/previewing-projected-field-osaka-touin.html

goroshigeno said:
Osaka Touin - Pitching B-, Offense A-
No change. Looking at Osaka Touin in general you know what you're going to get more often than not. You're going to get a great offensive squad (there is a hole or two), and the pitching isn't great, but it does enough. Consider that of the 3 pitchers primarily used, only one has a BB/9 rate < 3 which means that a good chunk of their WIP is due to walks. As long as the offense can produce, Osaka Touin is fine.

Beckx

Osaka Toin 3B Yoshizawa is a fan of Sho Nakata (my favorite player & also an Osaka Toin alumni) so I can't root against him. Looking at his stats he can crush the ball.

and I told you all, didn't I? Osaka Toin has the dorkiest hats in baseball.

Monumma

Wasn't Takayama supposed to pitch 145?

Also Baba is a great surname.

Meanwhile star wars.
edit: they have prepared the full soundtrack, lol.

Beckx

Tosa ain't even scared. Making a game of this.

You'd figure one rotation through the order they'd figure it out.

it was painful watching that last guy strike out with bases loaded.

Also Baba is a great surname.

rLrEiuh.jpg

That, was a really nice change-up.

Tosa has a chance if they can keep up (they won't).

I fucking hate that Takayama is so good.

God dammit.

Edit: Tosa's captain stands so far into the box, eeeesh back up a full step you'll get a bit more leverage on your swing.

Beckx

Tosa mis-playing several routine balls. Can't say whether they're not good on defense or that Koshien infield is playing tricks.

Catcher cut that guy down by a mile, though

Monumma

That 2seamer on a left-handed batter is nasty. It made the batter twitch something like 5 times (and hit him once).

Elepsis

Neo Member
Man, Tosa had one basic infield error, and that's made the difference from this being a tie game to them being down 3-0. Have to say, I'm impressed with the fight they've put up so far.

Beckx

That 2seamer on a left-handed batter is nasty. It made the batter twitch something like 5 times (and hit him once).

he is definitely not afraid to pitch in.

so i found out that the Osaka Toin cap fold thing they are all doing is a throwback to old military cap styles.

Tosa gave them more of a battle than they should have in all honesty.

But Toin is just too talented, they won't be challenged until the best 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom