• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koshien 2015 | Japan National High School Baseball Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
That was ugly. Still, first and second, 2 out. Pinch runner on second. the guy is small enough to look really fast. Doesn't matter, flyball to CF, 3 outs. Only 3 more to create a run.

They create nothing and the game is over. I guess I have another game to decide if I like Hanasaki Tokuharu's uniforms.

embrace the uniforms

they rock

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Gotta give a shout out to these bands playing. Don't know the name of the song they're playing right now, but they're going all in. Wow.

scotcheggz

Gotta give a shout out to these bands playing. Don't know the name of the song they're playing right now, but they're going all in. Wow.

Did you see the band leader just then?? Aha proper going for it! The two guys dancing earlier are my cheering highlight of the koshien so far lol.

Surely Tokaidai Sagami are strong contenders? They made that team look so pedestrian it's unreal, I've no idea if they were huge underdogs or what, but they were totally outclassed there.

Monumma

The replay of full games on the site works! This is going to help me a lot.

Watching Toukaidai Sagami's game. Ogasawara's first inning:
137, 135, 142, beautiful curve at 116 for the K.
143, 146, 147 grounded to ss.
117, 144, 145, 147 hit.
140, 117 grounded to ss.

He throws a little bit slower if he has to pitch 9 innings, clearly, but that curve seems above average.

2nd inning.
144, 142, 144, 146, curve at 118, K looking.
118, 141, 144, 146, 149, 145, fly to center.
145 Hit.
128 grounded to the pitcher. Slider?

3rd inning.
143, 144, 116, 147, 117 grounded to the pitcher.
128 e5.
144, bunted to teh pitcher. Bad decision to try to get the runner at second, safe.
142 infield fly to second.
114, 116, 143, 128, fly to left.

I'll stop writing, but I really like his curve.

Beckx

Day 10 Wrap Up & Day 11 Preview

The first 4 members of the final 8 have been selected, the remaining 4 will be decided today.

Day 10 Wrap

Usual sources, etc. etc. I will supplement this during the day as I'm expecting to see more articles about Kiyomiya after the night he had.

Game 1 Tokai Daigaku Fuzoku Kofu 4 - 8 Waseda Jitsugyo. Monster first year Kotaro Kiyomiya lived up to the billing - 3 for 4 with 2 doubles (one very nearly a HR), a home run, and 5 RBI. I mean jeez, how scary will this guy be as he gets older? Give the 3rd inning a watch if you haven't seen it already - right around the 35 minute mark - if only to hear the super hype announcer calling him "super rookie". Teams can't just elect to pitch around him, either, because that means facing captain Masaki Katou who also had a homer last night and has hit well in all the games so far. The pitching wasn't stellar but the defense was really good - timely double plays to get the team out of jams. Maybe it just shows how great Hiroshima Shinjo's game plan was. Waseda Jitsugyo's next game is game 1 of the quarterfinals on Day 12.

CMdAMmcWIAEOcub.png

Game 2 Tsuruoka Higashi 0-1 Hanasaki Tokuharu. Wow. Tense pitching duel that was 0-0 until the 7th when Hanasaki Tokuharu got the only run they'd need to advance. This after they scored 15 in their prior game. They play Tokaidai Sagami next so that game could turn into a really interesting & close game, one I'm really looking forward to seeing.

Game 3 Yugakkan 2 - 11 Tokai Daigaku Fuzoku Sagami. Is there much to say about this game? Ogasawara is ridiculously dominant and Yugakkan had little chance on offense or defense. I knew Tokaidai Sagami was going to put up a ton of runs and that came true. They play Hanasaki Tokuharu in game 2 of the quarters in what will be probably their first real test of Koshien. From here on out, no easy matches.

Game 4 Sakushin Gakuin 0 - 2 Kyushu Kokusai Daigaku Fuzuoku. Nothing I can say about this game at all yet - another close game and if I find out more/watch I'll add information.

Day 11 Preview

Game of the night is game 3, where two of the contenders have to face off early.

Game 1 8:00 高崎健康福祉大高崎 Takasaki Kenko Fukushi Daigaku Takasaki - 秋田商 Akita Shogyo. There are two things I want you to know about this game. Akita Shogyo was considered the "easy" draw for this day. Akita Shogyo's ace struck out 16 guys in his first game. (That said, they're very much the underdog here.)

Game 2 10:30 関東第 Kanto Daiichi - 中京大中京 Chukyo Daigaku Fuzoku Chukyo. Kanto Daiichi's first game was a 12-10 affair. So they can hit, but can they pitch?

Game 3 13:00 仙台育英 Sendai Ikuei - 花巻東 Hanamaki Higashi. Game of the night. There is no doubt that Hanamaki Higashi has drawn the hardest path of Koshien. First Tsuruga Kehi, now Sendai Ikuei. Meanwhile the field has to be delighted to see one of them go home. You have to give the edge to Sendai Ikuei on both offense and defense but maybe it's a slight edge. I'm expecting a very exciting game here.

Game 4 15:30 興南 Konan - 鳥羽 Toba. Lopsided matchup in Konan's favor. Toba upset Tenri but in reality that's not much of an upset.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Day 10 Wrap Up & Day 11 Preview

The first 4 members of the final 8 have been selected, the remaining 4 will be decided today.

Day 10 Wrap

Usual sources, etc. etc. I will supplement this during the day as I'm expecting to see more articles about Kiyomiya after the night he had.

Game 1 Tokai Daigaku Fuzoku Kofu 4 - 8 Waseda Jitsugyo. Monster first year Kotaro Kiyomiya lived up to the billing - 3 for 4 with 2 doubles (one very nearly a HR), a home run, and 5 RBI. I mean jeez, how scary will this guy be as he gets older? Give the 3rd inning a watch if you haven't seen it already - right around the 35 minute mark - if only to hear the super hype announcer calling him "super rookie". Teams can't just elect to pitch around him, either, because that means facing captain Masaki Katou who also had a homer last night and has hit well in all the games so far. The pitching wasn't stellar but the defense was really good - timely double plays to get the team out of jams. Maybe it just shows how great Hiroshima Shinjo's game plan was. Waseda Jitsugyo's next game is game 1 of the quarterfinals on Day 12.

CMdAMmcWIAEOcub.png

Watching the replay of that right now, this guy is absolutely incredible. The "Super Rookie" bit was awesome and hilarious cause shortly after Captain Katou steps up to the plate and smashes his with such finality that even his teammates are like:

T03epEH.png

Captain showing why he earned his spot! LOL

=================

Thanks again for the awesome info Beckx, looks like Sendai Ikuei going against Hanamaki Higashi is going to be super hype.

Monumma

Here we go.

edit: e6, "sb", single to CF and Kendai Takasaki takes the lead. 0-1 after a inning.
2 run double by Konno Toui, we may have a ballgame. Sliding catch to prevent a run to score and we go to the bottom of the second.

Beckx

We should get a sense pretty quick whether Akita Shogyo is going to be able to keep it competitive.

Narita is getting no help from his defense.

Beckx

Yes! That first run sucked, but Akitasho takes the lead now in the 2nd with a clutch 2 out double from the 8-spot.

Monumma

It seems like Narita will have to pitch a lot today.
BTW I would really like to see him pitch from the front camera once or twice. His stride seems really short.

FAST upper half of the third inning.

Kendai Takasaki's players like to steal.
And Narita has a somewhat fast inning himself to shut me up.

edit: Only a run from the squeeze.

Beckx

Looking at the stat line you'd probably guess the favorite was Akitasho. Would be pretty awesome if they could get through.

Manrui with no outs. They gotta capitalize here.

SUICIDE SQUEEZE! 3-1!

Beckx

Man, it's going to be a bummer if mistakes cost Akitasho this game.

Rooting for these guys pretty hard right now - if for no other reason than to keep the number of Kanto teams in quarters down.

Oh wow, what was up with that slide?

I know, pretty big mistake on that one. Took them from a scoring chance to inning over. :/

Monumma

Akita Shougyou bats are swinging fine. If Narita doesn't crumble/Kendai Takasaki figure him out in the late innings like goroshigeno said they should be ok even with this mistakes.

However the ace is coming in, there will probably be less scoring chances for Akita Shougyou.

Monumma

They pretty clearly underestimated their opponent. Why couldn't Hiroshima Shinjo have drawn these guys?

They used #10 for 5 inning to start last game too. And they took the ace out after 7 in the first. I think they are just trying to limit his pitches, not understimating Akita Shougyou.
Hiroshima Shinjo were on the other side of the board, but yeah, I get what you mean.

DAMN. Fuck this shit.

Beckx

Uh oh. Douten runner on first with one out.

And that CF came back in to play. wow.

OH NO, second bad throw from the catcher today costs them a run. :(

Monumma

How to take 7.1 great innings and put them in the garbage. A play by Akita Shougyou.

3-3, man on third, 1 out.
and another error. 2 out, men on second and third.
they get behind in the count and walk 1 to have the forced out in every base. This is it.

Beckx

This feels a bit hopeless now because Akitasho can't hit this guy at all and meanwhile if they had anyone to come in relief and close it out they would have used them already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom