• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koshien 2015 | Japan National High School Baseball Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I'm here! Sad that I'll probably be missing the Kanto Daiichi - Konan game since it's going to be early in the morning but we'll see!

Monumma

How's Waseda pitcher?

Is anybody else lagging (I wonder if it's my comp)?

Probably just barely good enough with the bats they have in the lineup.

My stream is fine.

Edit: This man will not see another pitch in the zone until he graduates. HR by Kiyomiya. DAMN.

Monumma

And after a pitching change Tomita hits his second HR of the day. He was 2-13 in the tournament before this game.

edit: BTW @EigoKokoyakyu twitter account is beautiful right now.

Another picher in, the ace, and another run. 6-0 at the end of the 4th.

Beckx

Through yesterday Kato and Kiyomiya both have an OPS over 1.500.

0_o

And Kiyomiya just a meter away from a 3rd Koshien HR.

Monumma

Inches away from his 3rd HR of the tournament.

1st years with 3 HR in the koshien ever = 0, btw.

this game has not a lot left to say, sadly. 8-1.

Beckx

Inches away to his 3rd HR of the tournament.

1st year with 3 HR in the koshien ever = 0, btw.

this game has not a lot left to say, sadly.

It was pretty funny how they had that graphic up for him as he was coming up on deck. I assume we'll see that a lot from here on out.

If he hits it there will be hysteria.

Monumma

The fab nine take the run back with interests. 2-1. And Ogasawara goes to the penn.

edit: I don't like those clouds. Is it expected to rain?
Yes, it is. Goodbye rest day.

Another run. This cyan/fluo magenta train will not be stopped.
Men on first and second and Ogasawara takes the mound.
Toukaidai Sagami. 3-2, man on second, 1 out.

scotcheggz

Just as I was nodding off.. SANSHIIIIN! Lol I haven't seen this team with the fab colours yet, they're giving Tokai Sagami a proper run for their money. Should be a good finish.

Monumma

Hanasaki Tokuharu can't do anything against Ogasawara. They need to somehow not give up a run in the next 3 inning. I like the second year on the mound, but it seems a lot to ask for.

edit: of course after I write this Takahashi has a 1-2-3 inning and Ogasawara puts the first two batter on the bases.
first and second, no out.
bunt to advance the runners.
Good hit but directly to a shallow LFer. 2 out.
IBB to Sasaya to load the bases and have the forceout everywhere. he was batting .429 on the tournament before this game. AB #18.
groundout and somehow Ogasawara escape this.

and now Toukaidai Sagami comes out swinging.
man on first, no out.
bunt to advance him.
BALK. runner on third.
Sac fly and the game is even.

Monumma

Probably not a good way to start the bottom of the ninth.
edit: somehow they put someone on second without having their pitcher there, lol. It is actually their leadoff.

SAYONARA.

scotcheggz

Ok what just happened why was he aloud to advance to 2nd?

Anyway those sayonara nerves got them and now Sagami have a sayonara chance.. lol love these commentators.

SDBurton

Just got out of the shower thinking the next match would be starting by now... LO AND BEHOLD!

EDIT: OH MY GOD!

Monumma

Tokai Daigaku Fuzoku Sagami didn't draw Waseda Jitsugyo. They are both probably the favourites for the final regardless of the winner of the next two games.

Let's see whose joints will blow up first, game III starting now.

edit: 2 great innings by Narita. And Satou.
HR number 27 of the tournament for Hirasawa Taiga. His second. He gives Sendai Ikuei a 1-0 lead in the 4th.
Manrui, no out. 2 more men cross home. 3-0, first and second, no out. 4-0, first and third, no out. K. K. And a grounder to second to end this. It's sad to watch.
in the bottom of the fifth however 1 run scores for Akita Shougyou.
5-1 as another run scores and Narita is finally relieved of his duty. This young man has been brilliant up until now, hats off to him.
And he fucking guns out a runner at homeplate in a flyout from RF. He is awesome.
He is back on the mound for the final 6 outs.
His Koshien is over. 432 pitches, 2.7 ERA and 30K over 26 innings of work. (look up the real numbers on yakyubaka, those are probably wrong).

On the other hand Satou will throw his 400th pitch of the tournament in the ninth, has touched 90 in the 8th and his forkball has been borderline unhittable all game. He is a monster.

SDBurton

Anyone else having issues with the stream? Getting no sound and its constantly freezing on me. :(

SDBurton

I think bigmit3737 was having issues before.

Think I fixed it. Thought my headset bit the dust for second there... or worse. :lol

EDIT: Gonna try and stay up for this last game, if I pass out just know I was praying for your victory Rui!

Monumma

Senday Ikuei vs Waseda Jitsugyou

EDIT: Gonna try and stay up for this last game, if I pass out just know I was praying for your victory Rui!

I was watching him catching balls in the outfield before. He could probably cover it all by himself.

And... We have a rain delay. I saw the weather report before on google, i don't think they'll play today.
edit: @EigoKokoyakyu says it's a lightning delay.

Monumma

They're starting it now, against all odds. It isn't raining now and hasn't for a bit.

HR#28 for Nagashima Ryouma. 1-0 Kanto Daiichi.
bases loaded, no out for Kounan. K Sac fly. Base hit to shallow center, Okoye close to the catch of the tournament, ends up surfing across the outfield. 1-2 at the end of the second.
Itou Masato with the gametying RBI double.

What a crazy game, 3-3 after 7. And after 8.
Top of the ninth, double by Kuroda Shunta, 1 out. K. Okoye AB. FUCKING HR. HAMMERED TO LEFT CENTER. #29. 5-3.
Bottom, double by Higa Tatsutoshi, no out. popup back to the pitcher. RBI single by Gushiken Taiki, tying run on 1st. Almost a double play but the throw to first is just high. man on first, 2 out.
2 strikes, the catcher signals to pitch it to the ground. He'll get it. He somewhat does after a swing and throws to first. game over.

The second SF will be Kanto Daiichi vs Toukaidai Sagami.
Out of the 4 team, 2 are from Tokyo, 3 from Kanto.

Beckx

Day 12 Wrap Up

No preview today, will save the best four preview for tomorrow because of the off day. But at this point I think everyone probably knows the storyline & the potential for an all-Tokyo final.

Game 1 Waseda Jitsugyo 8-1 Kyushu Kokusai Daigaku Fuzuoku. KyuKoku was never even in this game. Kiyomiya hit his second home run of the tournament, tying the record for first years in HRs and RBI. Of course with the media circus surrounding him, there are interviews and Yakyubaka translated two of them here: http://yakyubaka.com/2015/08/17/8172015-97th-summer-koshien-kiyomiyas-post-game-interview/

Q: How is your injury?

A: A pitch came inside and I hurt the area near the base of my thumb. I felt they were going to continue pitching me inside. I got it taped and everything was okay. It ended up working out because I let me relax. I felt pain when I swung the bat, but the adrenaline when I stepped into the batter's box helped me forget it.

Q: Your home run and RBI pushed you above Kazuhiro Kiyohara and Hideki Matsui in their first years.

A: Both Kiyohara and Matsui did well after their first years. I'm still not even close to those greats. Plus, RBIs aren't just about my performance.

Sounds like a pretty grounded kid. One interesting thing for me is that the more Waseda Jitsugyo (Sojitsu) plays, the more respect I have for Hiroshima Shinjo. I said at the time that Hiroshima Shinjo exposed a weak pitching staff, pushing Sojitsu to use all four pitchers to survive, but I no longer think it's about Sojitsu being weak at pitcher. I think it's really showing how amazing Hiroshima Shinjo played and how well they were managed. I hope Hiroshima Shinjo can do well in the fall, I'd love to see them land a place at Senbatsu.

Game 2 Hanasaki Tokuharu 3-4 Tokai Daigaku Fuzoku Sagami. Great game, at least the parts I saw. I joined in the 6th inning and stayed through the sayonara hit. Another team trying to save the ace but as we've said before, if any team can it's this one - but it nearly cost them big, and Ogasawara had to come in and pitch 5+ innings (72 pitches) to keep them alive. From what I saw he was not trying to overpower with velocity which makes sense. Still got 5 Ks.

Game 3 Akita Shogyo 3-6 Sendai Ikuei. Akita Shogyo's cinderella run is over. Predictably, Narita just wasn't the same pitcher after throwing 160 pitches the previous day. Sato Sena looked good but he did allow AkiShogyo to make a late run at a comeback. Major props to the public school from Akita making the quarterfinal round. Can Sendai Ikuei go all the way? That's the question.

Game 4 Konan 4-5 Kanto Daiichi. Former champs from Okinawa fall to the East Tokyo champs. Nagashima, the same guy who had the walk off HR against Chukyodai Chukyo, homered to start the scoring. Konan tied it late but the most exciting player in the tournament - sorry Kiyomiya! - Okoe Rui hit a 2 run HR in the 9th to give Kanto Daiichi the lead.

GIF: https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CMmfomVVAAAnfBm.mp4

Konan got one in the ninth and nearly kept it going with a crazy dropped third strike/throw out play. I've really come to like Kanto Daiichi over the course of the tournament. They're really, really fun to watch and now the team I'm rooting for the rest of the way. Check out the pic of Rui yelling after he knows it's a HR: http://t.co/w5PO1AqDUH

Lucumo

Thanks for the write-up. Caught the first and last match on Saturday and all of them apart from the second one on Sunday but during the week it's just impossible to watch. So reading a bit about it is pretty nice.

SDBurton

Just got home and watched the highlights from the last game from yesterday... the energy there was intense! The moment Rui smashed that ball in the 9th the crowd lost it. Wished there was a way I could watch the full match. :(

Have no idea what to do right now since there's no games to watch. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom