• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senbatsu 2016 | Japan National High School Baseball Invitational Tournament (Koshien)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

lol

CeMgNf6VAAAM4dC.jpg

out-cheered 6 million to 700K

Elepsis

Neo Member
In the end, Tosa's pitching was fine, and even their offense created a few chances, albeit ones they couldn't capitalize on. But their defense really let them down.

Would have been a much closer game with an even slightly better infield.

Monumma

Game 2.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2016/02/reviewing-field-shiritsu-wakayama.html

goroshigeno said:
Shiritsu Wakayama - Pitching C-, Offense C-
No change. The pitching is worse than Chiben Gakuen due to the high walk rates (> 3 per 9) and low K rates and the offense while carrying a 0.205 ISO, again was versus lesser competition with 3 batters hitting below 0.300 though C Okamoto seems to trade BA for SLG.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2016/01/previewing-projected-field-nanyou.html

goroshigeno said:
Nanyou Kougyou - Pitching C-, Offense C (grade up for clutch in close games)
Despite some good wins, it's amazing how Nanyou Kougyou could survive with their K rate as a team hovering around 5. It's doubly impressive that they had a triple slash of 0.281/0.341/0.360 and scored 4 or more runs in all their victories. I have to leave the grades as is because the burden of proof is on them to show that success with their low K rates is possible and offensively there has to be something that is allowing them to score runs despite the poor numbers.

I am going to bed for a couple of hours, however, have fun.

Magni

Damn Ichiko really fell apart there. That first run really got to their head, and then the homerun crushed them.

Gonna guess three and out from them.

Beckx

Next to last day of the first round - here's what's on deck, including the winners of the Meiji Jingu tournament playing in Game 2. Several very solid teams playing tonight.

5-1 Tokai Dai Kofu 東海大甲府 v Soshi Gakuen 創志学園

Goroshigeno: "This matchup features a pair of teams that are fairly unexposed. Both Toukaidai Koufu and Soushi Gakuen held the line well up until they had their first real test. Toukaidai Koufu's pitching in terms of giving up runs was stellar, even in their loss to Kisaradzu Sougou. If that can hold against Soushi Gakuen, their C grade should be bumped up. But Kikuchi is much the contact pitcher, so it will be interesting to see how he holds up. Soushi Gakuen's offense is much more solid down the lineup than Toukaidai Koufu, and not facing either giving up an inning or killing a rally is a big plus. I would give Soushi Gakuen the edge, but Toukaidai Koufu has upside."

5-2 Takamatsu Sho 高松商 v Inabe Sogo いなべ総合

Goroshigeno: "The Meiji Jingu champions finally take the field near the end of the 1st round, and get about one of the softest matchups they can get. Inabe Sougou Gakuen may be better off if reliever Watanabe Keigo gets the start, because it feels like with ace Yamauchi they'd be hanging on by the shortest of threads. Pair that against an offense that kept up with both Osaka Touin and Tsuruga Kehi? It's a recipe for disaster."

5-3 Kaisei 海星 v Nagata 長田

Goroshigeno: "Really, this will be a battle of offenses. Can Nagata, generate any offense to give their ace a chance? For Kaisei, can their ridiculous team BA translate at all against arguably one of the better pitchers in the tournament? Normally I'd give the team with the staff ace the edge, but Nagata's offense is so bad that I can't tip them with any confidence."

Monumma

Game 1.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2015/12/previewing-projected-field-toukaidai.html

goroshigeno said:
Toukaidai Koufu - Pitching C, Offense C+
The pitching gets a bump up because while the K numbers are not that stellar their walk rates are pretty small. And even with the implied contact this means, their WHIP figures are really good. The only negative, and this is why it's only a slight bump up is that their competition are borderline 2nd tier teams at best. Those balls hit for outs may fall in for base hits against better competition. The offense is left as is because while the team is a station-to-station squad, unlike Kisaradzu Sougou they can bring the runners in. That combined with the fact that they soundly defeated teams they should have means that the team plays pretty honestly.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2016/01/previewing-projected-field-soushi.html

goroshigeno said:
Soushi Gakuen - Pitching B, Offense C
Ace Takada gets downgraded due to the lesser competition he faced but still gets a good grade due to his durability. Doesn't mean he can last all the way to the end should they survive and advance, but he's still more than serviceable.

Beckx

I've had to miss most of this game needed to get some things done tonight because I'm not missing Tsuruga Kehi tomorrow.

Monumma

Game 2.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2016/01/previewing-projected-field-takamatsu.html

goroshigeno said:
Takamatsu Shougyou - Pitching B+, Offense B+
Takamatsu Shougyou maintains their ranking as one of the top ranked pitching staffs in the tournament despite a low K rate that would normally give it a C/C+ ranking. This is because they faced top tier competition throughout. Eimei in the prefecturals, Ikeda, Imabari Nishi, Saibi and Meitoku Gijyuku in the super-regionals, and Sapporo Dai-ichi, Osaka Touin and Tsuruga Kehi in the Meiji Jingu tournament. So you can actually take the team's numbers at face value, and that 0.306/0.356/0.489 line looks good. The bottom of the lineup isn't world-beating, but at least you won't be counting outs like sheep.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/search/label/Inabe Sougou Gakuen

goroshigeno said:
Inabe Sougou Gakuen - Pitching C-, Offense D+
While ISG was able to hold with Touhou in the final, the concerns for Touhou mean that ISG perhaps had a gift matchup. The pitching under ace Yamauchi Tomoki is not great, and is probably the reason why he is relieved. In fact, he's more like a pitcher who the manager uses to try and get to their short relievers. That's hard to stomach. No change in the offensive grades - despite playing some competition, there are holes in the lineup and the team doesn't go for extra bases or draws walks.

Edit:Yamauchi works FAST.

5 seconds between pitches, this game will be over in an hour.

Monumma

How far is dead center?

edit: Center: 118m (387 ft).

every ISG pitcher takes 5 seconds to pitch with the bases empty and 10 with men on.

Elepsis

Neo Member
I get so frustrated when great pitching is let down by defensive mental errors. Was really impressed by Nagata's efforts in the third game, and Sonoda pitched possibly the best game of the tournament in my book thus far. Well done to them.

Beckx

Tonight's preview brought to you by D&M Pocket Radar

It's the final day of first round and the first two games of second round!

Pretty excited for Tsuruga Kehi, and excited to see how Yamazaki pitches tonight (he is pitching - he's in the lineup just shown).

6-1 Tsuruga Kehi 敦賀気比 v Aomori Yamada 青森山田

Goroshigeno: "Tsuruga Kehi shouldn't be troubled by Aomori Yamada, but of bigger concern for them is that this slot means that ace Yamazaki will get no rest. Do not be surprised if Nishimoto actually gets the start here to prevent Yamazaki from getting early use because their 2 days off between games will be the most they get barring rainouts. It's either that or they start their ace this game then rest against the winner of the Kaisei/Nagata game. Either way, they should be favored regardless in both matchups."

Second Round

6-2 Chiben Gakuen 智弁学園 v Kagoshima Jitsu 鹿児島実

6-3 Shiga Gakuen 滋賀学園 v Kamaishi 釜石

Monumma

Game 1, final game of the first round.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2015/12/previewing-projected-field-tsuruga-kehi.html

goroshigeno said:
Tsuruga Kehi - Pitching B, Offense B+
Tsuruga Kehi gets downgraded on both accounts. First, While Yamazaki pitched 8 complete games, he never went 3 consecutive in the short rest situations except for the Meiji Jingu final where he fell completely flat against Takamatsu Shougyou. Nishimoto's peripherals are not great - doesn't mean he can't be a good reliever, but it's a big query.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2015/12/previewing-projected-field-aomori.html

goroshigeno said:
Aomori Yamada - Pitching D, Offense C-
The pitching grade takes a hit because the team seems to be teetering on the verge of destruction. The pitchers have control issues, don't strike out a lot of batters and allow quite a few baserunners. The offense also takes a hit because the team is pretty much a station to station team. And while they were able to defeat some well-known teams in the super-regionals there are holes in the lineup and the team doesn't seem to take their walks - hence the downgrade.

Yamazaki should be in. edit: yeah.

Man I'v missed so many games this year.

God damn fucked up sleep schedule.

Anyway Tsuruga Kehi rolls, not much to see other than Ace Yamazaki.

Beckx

Yamazaki K train rolling even if the ump is blind to good pitches, 9 Ks through 7.

Pretty funny when the ump denied a strike call and the announcers just laughed, "いいボールですね~" (nice pitch)

Beckx

closer than i wanted to see, Aomori Yamada's ace pitched well.

Yamazaki's line:

CG SO 9K 4H 2BB

and I finally got a cap of his murderface expression

CeW7ypAW4AAQPvw.jpg

Beckx

this is going to be an interesting game, murakami really needs to step up if Chiben Gakuen is going to win.

me, I'm going to bed, it's NPB opening day and I'm getting up early to watch the Fighters play.

Beckx

bleh, Opening Day went all sideways.

Anyway, here's tonight's games. I'm hoping to be free in time to see Akashi Sho play.

7-1 Ryukoku Dai Heian 龍谷大平安 v Hachinohe Gakuin Kosei 八戸学院光星

Ryukokudai Heian knocked out 15 hits in their opener and looked strong. Kosei had 10 hits but still looked kinda meh. Going with Heian in this matchup. Winner will play the winner of game 2.

7-2 Akashi Sho 明石商 v Toho 東邦

Hope Akashi Sho keeps it rolling tonight. But Toho thoroughly dismantled Kanto Dai-ichi and looked good doing it.

7-3 Kisarazu Sogo 木更津総合 v Osaka Toin 大阪桐蔭

We haven't had a single game ended due to mercy rule so far. Kisarazu Sogo gave up 2 runs to light hitting Sapporo Daiichi so this could be the first one. Calling it now, Yoshizawa hits a HR.

Monumma

Game 2.

Fujishima is back on the mound after going 8.2 inning allowing 1 hit, 3 BB while striking out 11 in the first round.

Beckx

Final round 2 games tonight.

8-1 Nanyo Ko 南陽工 v Shugakukan 秀岳館

8-2 Soshi Gakuen 創志学園 v Takamatsu Sho 高松商

8-3 Kaisei 海星 v Tsuruga Kehi 敦賀気比

If Takamatsu Sho and Tsuruga Kehi both win, it sets up a rematch of the Meiji Jingu final, which should be interesting. Wonder if Tsuruga Kehi will rest their ace? Or if they get more offense tonight?

Monumma

Game 1.

Tomorrow it's already the quaterfinals. I think I will watch only this first game today, so that I can watch all 4 games tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom