• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senbatsu 2016 | Japan National High School Baseball Invitational Tournament (Koshien)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monumma

So for those in the know, how likely are you to be seeing the future stars of Japan's league in some of these games?

The only true star didn't even qualify. /s

I have no idea about the aspirations of these kids, btw, but I look forward to Aoki Kaito later today. Every team should have a submariner, even if he sucks.

The pitchers seems to have settled and now the game is going by fast. Edit: and of course as I say this Cincinnati's pitcher goes for 2, men on second and third, no out.

Kawl_USC

Cool, thanks for the info guys.

Did that team with the killer 1st year slugger from summer qualify this time around?

Edit: Also this damn smart stream commercial is killing it.

F's coach's debt looms larger in his mind. He's thinking of ways to beat the traffic now. MAN do I miss those twisty cans of Sapporo. So great. So refreshing.

Beckx

In a bit of irony, Fukui Koudai's bus apparently caught on fire on the way to Koshien yesterday.

Cool, thanks for the info guys.

Did that team with the killer 1st year slugger from summer qualify this time around?

Waseda Jitsugyo, no, they were knocked out in the Tokyo regionals, so next chance for Kiyomiya is summer.

-----------------

this new site is really nice, if you scroll down there's a ton of stats. Murakami is already at 79 pitches with all the early work he had to do.

Monumma

In a bit of irony, Fukui Koudai's bus apparently caught on fire on the way to Koshien yesterday.

lol.

And, as I said in the summer, I don't care about NTT, I want the aquarius ad.

Meanwhile "can't take my eyes off you" from the stand. Nice to hear some variety.

Beckx

Added links to Mainichi Shinbun's Android and iOS Senbatsu apps in the Watch section of the OP.

No idea how it works for iOS, but it installs and works great on Android.

Holy Jesus! F got one on base! Coach is looking older, frailer, more in debt to the mob by the second. His wife sweats beneath those cotton bands.

edit: of course it translates into nothing. I LOVE NTT

Beckx

Looking at Hochi KokoYakyuu's senbatsu preview mag, all the pitchers for Chiba Gakuen after Murakami are not good. If Fukui KouDai can chase him they've got a chance.

Monumma

per goroshigeno, Murakami is at 93 pitches here in the 6th (site is not up to date yet)

And Tanaka will be at 97. I don't think neither team has a good bullpen, reading goroshigeno's previews. Of course neither team will probably go far, so if they have to throw a couple of 150 pitch outing it shouldn't be a problem.

First thing C gets is a walk. Their coach has a swagger to him; he despises all other schools. He drives in a Range Rover in his spare time. Listens to lots of Judas Priest.

Beckx

And Tanaka will be at 97. I don't think neither team has a good bullpen, reading goroshigeno's previews. Of course neither team will probably go far, so if they have to throw a couple of 150 pitch outing it shouldn't be a problem.

true, neither team is probably going to pull their starter unless it becomes a disaster.

C's pitcher is looking cocky. In the back of his mind, he thinks about all the various times he has hocked loogies from overpasses in his home prefecture. A sign of a champion.

edit: LSM Project is superior to all other bands now

Beckx

Just realized Tsuruga Kehi and Osaka Toin are on the same side of the bracket again like last spring. Potential revenge match for the 8-0 drubbing Tsuruga Kehi dished out. But would be the semi final if it happens.

One last shot at glory for F. But right now, F stands for four points in the hole. The coach sweats as he watches the last vestiges of his life-force slip into the ether. The sun beats down mercilessly on all.

Beckx

Welp. This could have been a very different game if Fukui Koudai had gotten a couple of timely hits, but Murakami was good when it counted (and amazingly lucky in the first inning).

With the late start today i am not staying up for the other two games. I wanted to see Joso Gakuen play, too.

Catch ya'll tomorrow.

Monumma

Game 2.

goroshigeno said:
Jyousou Gakuin will certainly have the advantage on the mound as ace Suzuki should take the hill to give his team a good start. He will probably give Kajitsu their toughest test yet. And ace Maruyama doesn't get to ease into Koushien. Jyousou should have the advantage in the matinee game.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2015/12/previewing-projected-field-jyousou.html

goroshigeno said:
Jyousou Gakuin - Pitching B- (points for experience negated due to lack of control), Offense C+
If ace Suzuki Shouta could go 9 innings each time out, Jyousou might be a B or B+. But Sasaki-kantoku immediately sat him as soon as the team would default qualify for the next stage. This could be a problem if he cannot hold up as the rest between games disappears. The offense get a bump because of the level of competition faced, but don't expect too many XBH fromt he team as well.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2016/01/reviewing-projected-field-kagoshima.html

goroshigeno said:
Kagoshima Jitsugyou - Pitching C-, Offense C
Kajitsu's pitching appears on the verge of imminent collapse. What else can you say when the main reliever strikes out 17 and walks 15 in 19.2 innings? Ace Maruyama has an acceptable walk rate, but gives up way too many baserunners to ever feel comfortable.

Miyashita-kantoku utilizes more of his bench than others, so much so that there are times where both of his catchers are in the game! But they both hit well, so as long as the defense suffers I guess it's ok. And if Kuki's numbers were video game like, there's Wataya Itsuki (綿屋 樹) who hit 0.621 with a 0.793 ISO. It's hard to lockdown the weaknesses in the lineup because I think the lineup changes based upon the game, but there are batters who have gotten in work that are feckless at the dish.

Monumma

That constant music... is that in the stadium?

That's GOT to get annoying.

Yes, the schools bring their band with them.

Jyousou escapes without giving up any run in the second.

edit: I'm off to the TV to see Formula1, I'll be back sometime next game I suppose, have a nice game.

Kawl_USC

That constant music... is that in the stadium?

That's GOT to get annoying.

High school football bands on steroids.

The total devotion to small ball, going as far as to bunt with two strikes is awesome. I love the play in these tournaments.

Sad I missed day one pretty much, got sick and passed TF out. Hopefully I can catch day 2.

Looks like I didn't miss anything unexpected. Dai-Ichi rolling, KagoJistu rolled, Chi-Gakuen manages a W through solid pitching and defense.

Real fun starts tomorrow.

Beckx

Man the new site is so good.

Tons of photos and clips are available, plus the full game. If you want to watch a full game replay, go to:

http://mainichi.jp/koshien/senbatsu/2016/schedule/

Then click the game you want and you'll be taken to a page with all the videos from the game. The last video is the full game replay (look for フルバージョン ("full version")).

Oh wow I had no idea there were two Koshiens. Is one typically seen as bigger/more important than the other or are they pretty equal? I've been watching Ace of the Diamond and have been so confused with how everything works. I always thought it went like this:

Summer invitational tournament --> Koshien in the summer ---> Spring invitational tournament

And then I assumed it looped around, but that brought up a host of questions. Like, if you win the spring invitational, do you skip the summer invitational because you're already in, or do you play anyway? Do the first years coming in the following school year just end up on teams already in Koshien? This two Koshiens setup makes more sense lol.

Oh wow I had no idea there were two Koshiens. Is one typically seen as bigger/more important than the other or are they pretty equal? I've been watching Ace of the Diamond and have been so confused with how everything works. I always thought it went like this:

Summer invitational tournament --> Koshien in the summer ---> Spring invitational tournament

And then I assumed it looped around, but that brought up a host of questions. Like, if you win the spring invitational, do you skip the summer invitational because you're already in, or do you play anyway? Do the first years coming in the following school year just end up on teams already in Koshien? This two Koshiens setup makes more sense lol.

Senbatsu (Spring Koshien) has nothing to do with Summer and is generally seen as a lesser entity to Summer Koshien. You can win Senbatsu and not even make Summer Koshien, it has no bearing on Summer other than sharing the same playing field.

I'd explain better but I'v been up for like 30 hours.

Beck it falls to you now!

Beckx

Beck it falls to you now!

I got this

Nah, that's not it. You have two independent National baseball tournaments happening in the Spring and Summer, with regional qualifying tournaments that lead to both. Everything is run by the High School Baseball Federation, the governing body of high school baseball (kokoyakyuu 高校野球) in Japan.

Here's how the year goes:

April - school year begins; new first years join the baseball club
July - regional qualifying tournaments for the Japan National High School Baseball Tournament (Summer Koshien) (not an invitational; you must win your region to get in)
August - Summer Koshien; after the tournament is over third year players are no longer eligible to play (even though the school year continues through March)
Fall - regional qualifying tournaments for the Japan National High School Baseball Invitational Tournament (Senbatsu / Spring Koshien); winners of the regions get automatic invite
Fall - NPB amateur draft
November - regional and super regional winners compete in the Meiji Jingu tournament; winner qualifies for Senbatsu (and thus another school from that team's region will get an invite)
Jan-March - third years graduate. the existing 1st & 2nd years are promoted to next grade (so now 2nd and 3rd years) (I am not entirely sure when third years graduate, by late February the ones who were drafted are at spring training with their NPB teams)
March - Senbatsu

If you're up to date on the Ace of the Diamond anime, the tournament they are in right now is the West Tokyo regional's final in the Fall. If they win they get an automatic bid to Senbatsu and also get to play in the Meiji Jingu tournament.

So the Summer and Spring tournaments are both National tournaments. The Summer Koshien is the more famous one. the Meiji Jingu tournament is not as big and does not have as many teams competing, it's nowhere near the same status as the two National tournaments.

The High School Baseball Federation partners with Asahi Shinbun for the Summer tournament and Mainichi Shinbun for the Spring tournament. The distinguishing feature of the Spring tournament is that there are a few invites that go to schools that were close but did not qualify in their regions, and 3 invites go to "21st Century Schools" to spread the Koshien experience out to more clubs.

solomon

I got this

Nah, that's not it. You have two independent National baseball tournaments happening in the Spring and Summer, with regional qualifying tournaments that lead to both. Everything is run by the High School Baseball Federation, the governing body of high school baseball (kokoyakyuu 高校野球) in Japan.

Here's how the year goes:

April - school year begins; new first years join the baseball club
July - regional qualifying tournaments for the Japan National High School Baseball Tournament (Summer Koshien) (not an invitational; you must win your region to get in)
August - Summer Koshien; after the tournament is over third year players are no longer eligible to play (even though the school year continues through March)
Fall - regional qualifying tournaments for the Japan National High School Baseball Invitational Tournament (Senbatsu / Spring Koshien); winners of the regions get automatic invite
Fall - NPB amateur draft
November - regional and super regional winners compete in the Meiji Jingu tournament; winner qualifies for Senbatsu (and thus another school from that team's region will get an invite)
Jan-March - third years graduate. the existing 1st & 2nd years are promoted to next grade (so now 2nd and 3rd years) (I am not entirely sure when third years graduate, by late February the ones who were drafted are at spring training with their NPB teams)
March - Senbatsu

If you're up to date on the Ace of the Diamond anime, the tournament they are in right now is the West Tokyo regional's final in the Fall. If they win they get an automatic bid to Senbatsu and also get to play in the Meiji Jingu tournament.

So the Summer and Spring tournaments are both National tournaments. The Summer Koshien is the more famous one. the Meiji Jingu tournament is not as big and does not have as many teams competing, it's nowhere near the same status as the two National tournaments.

The High School Baseball Federation partners with Asahi Shinbun for the Summer tournament and Mainichi Shinbun for the Spring tournament. The distinguishing feature of the Spring tournament is that there are a few invites that go to schools that were close but did not qualify in their regions, and 3 invites go to "21st Century Schools" to spread the Koshien experience out to more clubs.

Thanks for clearing things up, now when I watch season 2 of ace of diamond I won't be confused, sort of sucks for 3rd years though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom