• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3: ODST Thread

Hanmik

has this been posted..??

http://www.gameswire.net/news/reviewer-odst-is-underwhelming_316.html

if it has then just forget I ever linked to it.. :D

Halo 3 ODST is 'underwhelming', reckons a journalist who has recently been given access to a review build of the game.

When asked what it was like, our source mustered a fairly despondent response:

"Two words: really underwhelming."

"You just look at it and think 'so what?'. Sure, the multiplayer is fun (it's Halo after all) but it's all built on an old engine (which looks pretty much untouched) and looks nowhere near as good as games such as Gears of War 2 or Killzone 2. It smacks of no effort and is a teensy bit cynical. [Microsoft] needed a big franchise title for this Christmas and presumably there wasn't enough time to build something new, so they gave us new missions on old, ageing technology that didn't really look that great first time round."

Anyway, back to our source. He reckons most reviews are poised 'to drop' September 20th:

"Embargo’s lifted ten days from now. That’s when we’ll be slammin’ our review live."

But what score will it be getting?

"Haven’t decided yet. Prolly give it an eight to be safe."

To be safe... that's the world we live in people. Don't give big games low marks - no one wants to hear it.

remember.. if old forget about it..

Blueblur1

Since it's just an anonymous "journalist", those comments can't really be taken seriously. And even if he/she had any credibility, he/she flushes it down the toilet by saying he/she will give it an '8' just to be on the safe side. Truly a reputable journalist indeed. :lol

TimeLike

Hey, does anybody have a link to the list of places the ODST Firefight tour is stopping with the addresses on it?

I'm trying to find the exact address of the stop in Indy so I can get directions to it.

edit: Found it, finally. Time to hit the road.

Hanmik said:
has this been posted..??

http://www.gameswire.net/news/reviewer-odst-is-underwhelming_316.html

if it has then just forget I ever linked to it.. :D

remember.. if old forget about it..
That "journalist" said "prolly." His opinion can no longer count towards anything.
Dax01 said:
Found some really good Firefight videos. I'm watching them now.

Edit - the last video shows the theater lobby of ODST, and some pictures of campaign levels are shown.
Thanks for making me waste the next couple of hours.

GhaleonEB

All of which are leaked and not meant to be released yet. In case anyone wants to avoid certain spoilers.
t's all built on an old engine (which looks pretty much untouched) and looks nowhere near as good as games such as Gears of War 2 or Killzone 2.
What? Why wasn't I informed of this?

GhaleonEB said:
All of which are leaked and not meant to be released yet. In case anyone wants to avoid certain spoilers.
Well, yeah, that goes without saying for any FF videos posted. I'm (and I'm sure there others like me) just limiting spoilers/videos to the campaign. I love watching FF videos.

A thought on kill spree medals in Firefight: Why are they so easy to come by? Of every video that I've seen of single player Firefight, the player has at least gotten a Rampage. Why make them so easy to achieve? Granted I'm guessing that these players are playing on Easy, but I thought that these medals were supposed to be thought of as accomplishments; they seem far too easy to get.

Dax01 said:
Found some really good Firefight videos. I'm watching them now.

Edit - the last video shows the theater lobby of ODST, and some pictures of campaign levels are shown.

Firefight spoiler for those going 100% dark....
Fucking Banshees in Firefight? wtfux?

backflip10019 said:
A thought on kill spree medals in Firefight: Why are they so easy to come by? Of every video that I've seen of single player Firefight, the player has at least gotten a Rampage. Why make them so easy to achieve? Granted I'm guessing that these players are playing on Easy, but I thought that these medals were supposed to be thought of as accomplishments; they seem far too easy to get.

I think they go 10 for killing spree, 20 for Frenzy and so on... which is a little harder then H3 multi. Wont be so easy with a party of 4. Plus all the videos are either easy or normal, hardly a challenge by yourself

Personally, the maps that aren't available to play publicly (Lost Platoon, Rally Point, Windward and Chasm Ten), seem to be, by a considerable margin, the best of the Firefight maps. They look really damn good. My anticipation/hype for Firefight has certainly increased from watching someone play on those maps.

GhaleonEB

backflip10019 said:
You get medals all the time. There's ones for assists, sticks, double-kills, etc. It rains medals, even more so than in MP. There are plenty of hard medals, but get used to being told how awesome you are for headshotting two Grunts in a row.

That said, the spree and multi-kill medals are a touch harder to get. A killing spree starts at 10 kills instead of five, and the gap between enemies to count for a multi-kill is much shorter. It felt like two seconds instead of four.

I hadnt seen this posted and figured this was as good a place for it as anywhere:

"Randy Nunez is quite upset with Microsoft and Bungie, as TG Daily reports he's leading the charge on a lawsuit against both companies over bugs and glitches he (and others) found in Halo 3. Forget that the game is enjoyed relatively complaint-free by close to a million people every day, Nunez and company say "Halo 3 consistently causes the Xbox 360 to 'crash,' 'freeze' or 'lock up' while the game is being played." The filing even states that "repeated and mounting consumer complaints and inquiries concerning this operational flaw in Halo 3" have been reported, with Microsoft and Bungie allegedly taking no steps to correct the issue or recall the game.

Our biggest issue with the game, of course, is that it never lets us win online. Do we need to start spamming the lawyer weapon?"

LOL at this thinking he can sue Bungie because his 360 freezes up.

Dax01 said:
Personally, the maps that aren't available to play publicly (Lost Platoon, Rally Point, Windward and Chasm Ten), seem to be, by a considerable margin, the best of the Firefight maps. They look really damn good. My anticipation/hype for Firefight has certainly increased from watching someone play on those maps.

Firefight is the sole reason I'll be purchasing ODST. The Youtube videos look fantastic. GOW2's Horde mode was a really big time sink for myself, love me some co-op. Really looking forward to getting my hands on this game D:

GhaleonEB

Special Edition packaging promo shot:

2r5x9xc.jpg

Actual shot (via Major Nelson by way of HBO):

3903860751_e1d82a8b0a.jpg

soldat7

HOLY CRAP at Chasm Ten. Stopped watching after I saw how completely awesome that was. That environment was a bit unexpected. Going dark!

Blueblur1

I'm still debating on whether or not to stick with the Special Edition. I don't need an extra controller but I like it's design and it would go perfectly with my Halo 3 edition 360.

t4ng0

Those Firefight videos are slick. Love the music/ambiance in Chasm Ten.

Also, :lol at that journalist evaluation. Haters gon' hate

Edit: and Lost Platoon, and Windward.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ten-Song said:
Headline should instead read: "Shitty gaming site desperate for clicks makes up stuff."

"Embargo’s lifted ten days from now. That’s when we’ll be slammin’ our review live."

The only people who talk like this are fake movie execs in Simpsons episodes.

EazyB

Banned
Wizman23 said:
The bitching and bickering in this thread is making it unreadable. Considering we are a little over a week from launch its quite embarassing. Its actually worse then Halo 3 thread at this point. Some of you obviously have an agenda now against Ghaleon because you are jealous of his Bungie visit. Grow the fuck up.
I know that's why I'm arguing with him. And didn't he say his oh-so-glorious NDP was done on the 10th. Well my fucking calender has a big old 10 on it today and yet he's not spilling the beans, does he feel we're not worthy of his info?

backflip10019 said:
I got an invincible the first time playing 2-man Lost Platoon on heroic difficulty, choppering like a motherfucker. Was pretty easy and it's a shame there aren't medals after that or that the medals aren't spaced further apart. It woulda been nice to have something truly incredible to shoot for.

Guess I was alone in my Leebuff comparison :lol

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:
I know that's why I'm arguing with him. And didn't he say his oh-so-glorious NDP was done on the 10th. Well my fucking calender has a big old 10 on it today and yet he's not spilling the beans, does he feel we're not worthy of his info?
Well, most people are worthy of the glorious knowledge I hold nestled in my noggin. But you are not. And I can't think of a way to post that here without you reading it and finding out. I mean, I could use spoiler tags and ask you not to read it, but I don't trust you.

lol

In reality I didn't see much that either hasn't been unveiled or will be shortly. I saw nothing on Campaign at all, and a few tidbits on Firefight. And you can see far more than I did by hopping on youtube, so by all means, don't wait for me. :p

Sibylus

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
Wtf @ that random no scope on the man cannon. What the fuck are the chances of that?
Play a game long enough and you're bound to get an improbable kill or two.

My most improbable kill in a Halo game ever was in Halo PC, on a custom snowy canyon map called CMT_Snowgrove. A random enemy threw a plasma grenade on the ground beneath my warthog, it blew up while I was driving at full speed. My warthog flew forward, rotating end over end like a mad boomerang. The front nose of my hog collided into a small stairwell area of a central Forerunner structure. An enemy player happened to be standing there for a split-second and was squashed before he even realized what was happening.

His reaction in respawn was a terse "wtf".

Blueblur1

You don't have to apologize. It was half truth half sarcasm. :lol

As for Halo Waypoint, as far as I can tell it'll be a destination on the 360 Dashboard that'll provide access to Halo news, videos, and other stuff. I think there are more specific details online somewhere but I don't remember it off the top of my head.

EazyB

Banned
-Yeti said:
Sorry 'bout the link.

Anyway, what is Halo Waypoint exactly? I've heard about it, but I really have no clue what it is. Is everyone in the same boat as I am?
Everything they've said about this Waypoint thing makes it sound like an Xbox 360-accessible website. I'm sure there's more to it than that but at this point I'm don't understand what there is to get excited about. Maybe they'll horde some Reach content to put up at some point?

GhaleonEB said:
Well, most people are worthy of the glorious knowledge I hold nestled in my noggin. But you are not. And I can't think of a way to post that here without you reading it and finding out. I mean, I could use spoiler tags and ask you not to read it, but I don't trust you.
:lol

Blueblur1 said:
You don't have to apologize. It was half truth half sarcasm. :lol

As for Halo Waypoint, as far as I can tell it'll be a destination on the 360 Dashboard that'll provide access to Halo news, videos, and other stuff. I think there are more specific details online somewhere but I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, that's right. I heard about that a while ago. Just forgot the official name.

Top Bottom