• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3: ODST Thread

Falagard said:
Something grabbed my interest while reading the Halo Waypoint twitter:

http://twitter.com/halowaypoint

Track a career across Halo titles? Does that mean it's going to integrate with bungie.net and pull down stats?
That sounds pretty awesome.

Also, another reason why I have no problem with watching Firefight videos is because my most anticipated aspect of ODST is exploring the city of New Mombasa in the dark: exploring and finding every nook and cranny.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Um, "similar to the jump from Halo 2 to Halo 3" kinda has me worried. Halo 3's engine is just a modified Halo 2 engine which is a modified CE engine.

:(

The only campaign footage I've seen is what was demo'd at E3, plus the opening cutscene. I'm pretty happy about this, although I'm not worried about spoilers for this in the way I was about Halo 3 proper. I've watched a lot of Firefight footage, though, largely because that's what interests me most about the title. Unless the netcode is as horrible as I fear, I plan to spend a lot of time in Firefight. And I don't think watching a few minutes of someone scuttling about an environment in low-res youtube form exactly "spoils" the environments.

-Yeti said:
...the fuck?

English translation?
You'll need this, brah.

large_20070814_halo3dew.jpg

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
You might notice little tidbits around the net mentioning that there were media events in New York and San Francisco this week, and that press got the chance to play through Halo 3: ODST's campaign for the first time. (GameDaily has one, Dime Magazine has another, Kotaku has an extensive one (it's based on time spent with the game last week at Bungie's HQ, but Totilo was in New York yesterday, as well).) You can read these knowing you won't be spoiled - attendees had to sign NDAs, and cannot reveal much beyond the fact that they were there for some time still.

I was at the New York event yesterday, and will have a full writeup when I'm allowed to. In the meantime, though, I thought I'd pass along a useful tidbit. Much has been speculated about the length of the ODST campaign - Bungie originally called it 3-5 hours, but then vastly expanded the content, and now hems and haws when asked for a specific number (since that number is dependent on a LOT of variables). Folks rushing through leaked games on Easy or Normal have finished the game in 4 hours, leading some to conclude that it really IS a short game. I'm not going to provide actual numbers - just a comparison. I played Halo 3: ODST for the first time exactly the same way I played Halo 3 for the first time: in a comfortable chair in front of a great TV (see the photo in the Dime Magazine article) in a New York Hotel, on Heroic difficulty - and it took me roughly 80% as long to finish ODST as it did to finish Halo 3. So if you whipped through Halo 3 in 5 hours the first time through, this one will be doable in 4. If you took 12 hours to get through Halo, count on 9-10 for ODST. And so on. It's a solid campaign - it did NOT feel like an expansion. And I'm looking forward to many, many replays. (Although I wasn't rushing, I still missed stuff, and I'm happy that the next few runs will still yield things I haven't experienced yet.)
http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=27418

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
This has me super excited, though:

G4: ODST has a lot of buzz, it looks like it's poised to do really well, especially with the fans, does that give you guys confidence to do stuff like that again? Can you see this third team doing more iterative stuff, shorter projects?

Jarrard: It's possible, it's hard to say right now. Reach is going to be a tough project for us to wrap just because the scope is really big -- it's up there. It'll probably be our biggest game ever just in terms of the amount of people working on it and the expectations for it. I mean, it's a big deal for us. But our other team is already hard at work at a much different direction and hopefully that's going to keep progressing and moving forward and that might become our thing that follows Halo: Reach.

Alivor

-Yeti said:
Too bad they don't make Game Fuel anymore. Unless I should drink one of the bottles I saved from 2007. :p
Oh but they do! 2 flavors now, the old Halo 3 one and some blue one. They're both for WoW, and incredibly delicious.

Cocopjojo said:
If the skulls were like you're suggesting, then they would break any sort of competitive play on their maps. Players would be able to grab the skull whenever they wanted despite the game's rules or settings. It has to be a Forge-only item to keep custom games and Matchmaking from being severely gimped.

How so? how would grabbing the skull impact the custom game? I don't see how it would gimp any gameplay.

Hmm. Still don't want to think about Reach until they're ready to give a good indication as to how it'll be.
I wonder what their priotities are and aren't when it comes to Reach.

Alivor said:
Oh but they do! 2 flavors now, the old Halo 3 one and some blue one. They're both for WoW, and incredibly delicious.

Yep. The blue one is Baja Blast from Taco Bell. It was nice having some game fuel again. Still like the orange the best even though I can't drink a full bottle anymore. Little to syrupy but so good. :lol

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:
I completely forgot about Maddie. Where did you get the implication that Sadie is Maddie?
The maddie name was pulled from the ODST trailer, remember? Apparently it was a bit too close to the name of the famous missing girl from the UK, so they changed it.

EazyB

Banned
Domino Theory said:
This has me super excited, though:
You missed the best part:

But our other team is already hard at work at a much different direction and hopefully that's going to keep progressing and moving forward and that might become our thing that follows Halo: Reach.

Domino Theory said:
Um, "similar to the jump from Halo 2 to Halo 3" kinda has me worried. Halo 3's engine is just a modified Halo 2 engine which is a modified CE engine.

:(

I doubt it's going to be a massive change, I wouldn't be surprised if Reach is just taking Halo 3 engine and modifying it, but with a bigger scope than obviously ODST. I wouldn't mind them making a new graphics engine to possibly push the look some more, and I do hope we get some new animation attached to the game. Course Reach is a complete mystery really.

GhaleonEB

Nutter said:
You are hyping yourself up way too much for the new IP. Well here's to hoping it can achieve what Halo:CE did way back then. :)
I think Bungie will want to maintain at least the same level of quality as the Halo games on their new IP. I'm with Eazy on being pretty hyped for whatever Bungie is working on, post-Halo.

Kibbles

Alivor said:
It's not as delicious without Master Chief on the cover.

EazyB

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
I doubt it's going to be a massive change, I wouldn't be surprised if Reach is just taking Halo 3 engine and modifying it, but with a bigger scope than obviously ODST. I wouldn't mind them making a new graphics engine to possibly push the look some more, and I do hope we get some new animation attached to the game. Course Reach is a complete mystery really.
IIRC they already confirmed they've made a new engine for Reach. If not it's clear they would because they didn't bother putting resources into updating the Halo 3 engine for ODST. If they were going to use the same engine for Reach it woulda been in their interest to update the Halo 3 engine for ODST.

As far as animation goes, they've got their very first motion capture studio so it's probably safe to say they plan on using it for Reach.

Nutter said:
You are hyping yourself up way too much for the new IP; but here's to hoping it can achieve what Halo:CE did way back then. :)
Has more potential than any Halo sequel does. Doesn't have to set the world on fire as a groundbreaking, genre defining game to be a more appealing game than Halo X.

Nutter

GhaleonEB said:
I think Bungie will want to maintain at least the same level of quality as the Halo games on their new IP. I'm with Eazy on being pretty hyped for whatever Bungie is working on, post-Halo.
I am hyped too. But then I remember Oni . :p

Lets just say I hope Oni was developed like it was just to be done with the game.
Other than that. I am a huge Bungle fanboy, so I will play their new games no matter what.

Walshicus

Botolf said:
The maddie name was pulled from the ODST trailer, remember? Apparently it was a bit too close to the name of the famous missing girl from the UK, so they changed it.
Yeah, load of crap over nothing too. Of course I'm jaded as *we* had to sit through months of the news downplaying disaster and tragedy around the world for... gah! Not going to get pissed off again.

But yeah, they were probably forced to rename her lest controversy be courted.

GhaleonEB

Nutter said:
I am hyped too. But then I remember Oni . :p

Lets just say I hope Oni was developed like it was just to be done with the game.
There are many things different about Oni, including its development process (it was Bungie West, IIRC). I think looking to Bungie's lone exception in quality is a strange way to level expectations for their next new IP. :p

EazyB said:
Has more potential than any Halo sequel does. Doesn't have to set the world on fire as a groundbreaking, genre defining game to be a more appealing game than Halo X.
I think it's really unfair to say that when you don't even know what the new IP is.

Botolf said:
I'm hoping the next project is a sci-fi themed game, I lurve science fiction.
As do I.

Nutter

GhaleonEB said:
There are many things different about Oni, including its development process (it was Bungie West, IIRC). I think looking to Bungie's lone exception in quality is a strange way to level expectations for their next new IP. :p
I am just trying to control my expectations. If I base them off the Halo franchise, then yes I am super hyped. But considering they have only developed halo for the past 9 years. I am just being cautious about my expectations, the more level headed they are, the more pleasantly surprised I will be. :)

But with that said, bring on the New IP. Ill support my favorite dev.
These days I only preorder 2 games/franchises. Halo and Zelda, that should tell you what I expect from Bungie's new IP.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Kinda dumb/hurtful to try and excite yourself more than you should at this point in time when Bungie wants our attention to be on ODST, then Reach.

Bungie has at least 100 people working on Reach (taking a guess) and for people to go around saying "I don't care for what those 100 people are doing, I just care for those 25 people who are doing pre-production on your new IP that won't be out for at least another 2-3 years" is a slap in the face to the majority of the studio who are putting all their effort and hard work into making Reach as kick-ass as it can be.

I love Bungie as much as the next Bungie fan, but I worry about the food they're about to put on my plate, not the food the chef has yet to get the ingredients for.

Nutter said:
I am just trying to control my expectations. If I base them off the Halo franchise, then yes I am super hyped. But considering they have only developed halo for the past 9 years. I am just being cautious about my expectations, the more level headed they are, the more pleasantly surprised I will be. :)

But with that said, bring on the New IP. Ill support my favorite dev.
These days I only preorder 2 games/franchises. Halo and Zelda, that should tell you what I expect from Bungie's new IP.

Hey nutter.

I actually think the contrary. 9 years going on a one note song, your TALENTED writers and employees are going to come up with some incredibly creative storylines/universes, etc that they simply cannot explore because 'it's not Halo'. That long out of the new IP game makes them ripe for something fresh and new to bring to the table. I for one think it's going to be great.

EazyB

Banned
Nutter said:
More of the same?
The Zelda formula got stale years ago.

Nutter

Louis Wu said:
You're definitely not alone. I liked it quite a lot.

(Only on a computer, though. It sucked on the PS2.)
I unfortunately only played it on the PS2, couldnt afford a good PC back then. :(

But enough of offtopic games. ODST is a step in the right direction to bring some freshness into Halo and I am looking forward to Reach with extremely high expectations.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Nutter said:
Still better than than all those versions of Rockband you have.

:p

Don't blame Rock Band for not being able to be a
plastic
Rockstar and Drummer like Eazy and I.

:D

Edit: Is it me or do all Halo threads have one less post than the thread post count? Wtf?

Kibbles

Yeah, I'm watching X-Play. There is a ton of new stuff, way more than the GTTV Preview. Some people may want to back off if they want a fresh experience. Not sure when it will be up on G4Tv.

The guy just said "Disc 2 is the complete Halo 2 Multiplayer Experience" >.<

[edit] Ffffuuucckkk!!!
They just showed a bit of the space tether collapsing

Breaking In - Blake Low

Kibbles said:
Yeah, I'm watching X-Play. There is a ton of new stuff, way more than the GTTV Preview. Some people may want to back off if they want a fresh experience. Not sure when it will be up on G4Tv.

The guy just said "Disc 2 is the complete Halo 2 Multiplayer Experience" >.<

Breaking In - Blake Low

[edit] Ffffuuucckkk!!!
They just showed a bit of the space tether collapsing

For some reason, I felt the urge to highlight the spoiler... so I did.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

That's it, now I don't want to watch it. :(

Kibbles

^ My reaction was mainly because it looked awesome, but also partly because it's a spoiler and something you would want to yourself. Tread at your own risk GAF.

They say direct feed gameplay and stuff will be up at g4tv.com/odst

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seriously, its impossible not to be excited for Reach at this point. It sounds like heaven. Also, those maps looked awesome till I realized they were straight out of the campaign. Weren't very spoilerific though. They all look awesome, especially Chasm Ten.

Top Bottom