• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3: ODST Thread

Frenck

Banned
Digital-Hero said:
The time period from which the Chief came back to Earth from High Charity was not long. If you notice at the end of Halo 2 when Lord Hood says, "Master Chief can you tell me what you are doing on that ship?" The battle around the defense platforms was still happening. Unless Master Chief was on Truth's ship for weeks when it plummeted to earth, there really isn't much to explain away the time difference. The ODST's are probably still in the City as the Chief is going through the events of Halo 3.

I'm nerding out here, forgive me.

Halo: Uprising could provide the answer. It could have been weeks for all we know.

We learned in Halo 2 that Covenant cruisers can simply speed past the MAC platforms without getting hit if they want. I suspect that the Covenant would know that by the time the second invasion happens. They probably ignored the fleet and the MAC platforms in orbit and headed straight for the planet.

Ten-Song

Dax01 said:
I as well felt that the custscene implied that the city was destroyed when the ship made a slipspace jump. Good thing the cutscene didn't show the aftermath. :p Apparently the city wasn't completely destroyed. I'm glad for it because otherwise we wouldn't be getting ODST.:D

I never really got the impression that the city EXPLODED, so much as it just got really fucked up. When In Amber Clad exits its jump near Delta Halo there were some buildings and stuff that popped out with it, but it seemed more that they just got brought in wholesale, and weren't blown to rubble and then sent along with the two cruisers on their jump.

Digital-Hero said:
The time period from which the Chief came back to Earth from High Charity was not long. If you notice at the end of Halo 2 when Lord Hood says, "Master Chief can you tell me what you are doing on that ship?" The battle around the defense platforms was still happening. Unless Master Chief was on Truth's ship for weeks when it plummeted to earth, there really isn't much to explain away the time difference. The ODST's are probably still in the City as the Chief is going through the events of Halo 3.

The jump to Delta Halo itself likely took some time though, and just during that moment the Chief could have been gone anywhere from weeks to months. I didn't think the battle going on around Earth at the end of 2 was the same fleet that got sent in the first time, so much as Truth's loyalists launching their assault after leaving High Charity to its fate. Cortana mentions that Regret apologized to Truth for attacking Earth in haste, saying he didn't know humanity would be there, so I always figured Truth and his Brutes were going to show up regardless.

GhaleonEB said:
Very fun. You spawn with a sniper rifle, which in the maps I played (we didn't play on all of them - just the ones Bungie/G4 have talked about) was unique.

From spawn room you can go left or right, out into an open area. Or, head downstairs out the center. (The level wraps around the outside.) Along the edges of those two sides are where Covenant get dropped off, and that's where a Banshee or two is prowling. (There's a missile pod and rockets available to take them out with.)

It's a challenging map, partly because there's three ways into the central spawn room. This means you can be on one side of the map and have guys get dropped off, and when you're trying to fall back you have Covenant flowing through the central rooms, so you're cut off. The sniper is good for keeping the heavy Brute rounds at bay a bit, but in every game I played on it we got over run, even in the spawn room - too many ways in.

It was more challenging than the other maps I played on, partly because you could get over run and there's no really safe areas. Even the spawn room, with three ways in, is tough to defend from. Very fun, very challenging map.
Thanks. Can't wait to play FF with you.:D

I booted up "The Pillar of Autumn" to refresh my memory on the M6D: the gun doesn't have a recoil. The M6C seems as powerful as the M6D but with recoil, so recoil will probably be the only thing that prevents the M6C from being as loved as the M6D.

Striker said:
Orbital is so awful. I mean, really. Why must there be grenades starts and radar? Without those two, this would be so much better, or at least not a chore to play. :\

Agreed. Although I would still prefer it to be out of Matchmaking.

Kibbles

xxjuicesxx said:
9. Nades removed from Orbital. You now have whatever you spawn with and that is it until respawn.
I still need to get that Death from the grave achievement. That's probably the hardest achievement of them all, for me. :lol I've stuck people, died, and haven't got a death from the grave. It makes me sad.

Toddler

Kibbles said:
I still need to get that Death from the grave achievement. That's probably the hardest achievement of them all, for me. :lol I've stuck people, died, and haven't got a death from the grave. It makes me sad.
"Save That Film" and "Annual" are my hardest.

I don't think I've ever played a game of Halo in my life without dying :(

Kibbles said:

AR a kid til hes no shields, let him AR and melee you, throw a nade at the ceiling before he melees you, allow nade to kill him. Repeat until two get them. Hardly an "achievement"

Sitting at 72 of 79.

Kibbles said:

I still need one of the original achievements. And that Achievement happens to be the most stupid: Two For One! Not only do I have to get it in my least favorite playlist (except Mythic Brawl), it's one of the hardest - if not the hardest to get.

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
Just got back from the ODST Truck stop in Indianapolis, IN. Won't post too much since the vast majority of ODSTGaf have already played FireFight and I'd just be re-hashing what they've said.

Thanks to Urk for allowing my fiancee and I to roll VIP style. The guys running it (Corey especially) were extremely nice to us. Although it could be because we brought them Frosties from Wendy's because they were sweating to death in the heat. :lol

Now it's a pain in the ass waiting till the 22nd.

~B.B.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
-Yeti said:
I still need one of the original achievements. And that Achievement happens to be the most stupid: Two For One! Not only do I have to get it in my least favorite playlist (except Mythic Brawl), it's one of the hardest - if not the hardest to get.
It's not as hard as it sounds. In Lone Wolves Snowbound would be the easiest place, someone always tries to camp with the shotgun, so you just sit around waiting for someone to run into the shotgun guy and laser them both. Worked for me anyhow.

Toddler

BerserkerBarage said:
Just got back from the ODST Truck stop in Indianapolis, IN. Won't post too much since the vast majority of ODSTGaf have already played FireFight and I'd just be re-hashing what they've said.

Thanks to Urk for allowing my fiancee and I to roll VIP style. The guys running it (Corey especially) were extremely nice to us. Although it could be because we brought them Frosties from Wendy's because they were sweating to death in the heat. :lol

Now it's a pain in the ass waiting till the 22nd.

~B.B.
I'll pay for the gas (and Frosties) if they come to Baton Rouge.

Blueblur1

Kibbles said:
^ My reaction was mainly because it looked awesome, but also partly because it's a spoiler and something you would want to yourself. Tread at your own risk GAF.

They say direct feed gameplay and stuff will be up at g4tv.com/odst
Ha. I saw that about 2 weeks ago. Actually, more like a week and a half maybe?

BruceLeeRoy said:
Nice job on the OP Ghaleon looks great :D
Despite my best efforts at trying to stay aloof I just pre-ordered this beast.

I clicked your title to see why you're considered the Grandmaster, and now I see why. HOLY COW! It's like the best OP ever lol

Anyway, I have yet to pre-order this game lol. Being the big Halo fan that I am, I should have pre-ordered it when it was first announced. I'm not too worried about it though. I'll be guaranteed a copy.

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
Toddler said:
I'll pay for the gas (and Frosties) if they come to Baton Rouge.

Okay, funny story. There was a guy in line waiting to get in looking at the ODST truck. So he goes up to one of the MS guys and says, "is it hard for you to drive that thing on the highway?" in a real sarcastic tone. The guy looks at him plain in the face and says, "it's easy, we load it on that flatbed and let that semi drive it from town to town".

The kid then shut up and went back to waiting in line.

Talk to Moose, he's the guy that drives the semi!

~B.B.

MrDaravon

Nutter said:
People need to hop on and play Team Flag. Quitters are not making it fun right now.

And about people being kidnapped. how about being kidnapped and then being fed Pizza.
Pizza and Firefight was awesome.

Damn, I saw you guys on but you already had 5. My friend and I just played a bunch of Team Flag, and we lost the vast majority of our matches because people kept quitting, and we were getting practically nothing but opposing teams of 5 Generals (we're not that good) :(

EazyB

Banned
-Yeti said:
How is Beatles: Rock Band, by the way? I assume you have it, or you're about to pick it up?
If you like the Beatles you'll absolutely love the game. No question about it. Like Bungie, Harmonix really demonstrates how much they love making their games. This one's no exception.

EazyB said:
If you like the Beatles you'll absolutely love the game. No question about it. Like Bungie, Harmonix really demonstrates how much they love making their games. This one's no exception.

That's cool. I would pick it up if I weren't already hurting to get ODST. Maybe Christmas...

Toddler

BerserkerBarage said:
Okay, funny story. There was a guy in line waiting to get in looking at the ODST truck. So he goes up to one of the MS guys and says, "is it hard for you to drive that thing on the highway?" in a real sarcastic tone. The guy looks at him plain in the face and says, "it's easy, we load it on that flatbed and let that semi drive it from town to town".

The kid then shut up and went back to waiting in line.

Talk to Moose, he's the guy that drives the semi!

~B.B.
:lol

I bet dude was just dying to ask one of 'em a question, just anything to start conversation, and gets shot down like that.

They hit up Texas 3 times before hop-scotching way up to Tennessee. Seems La. got shot down too :(

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
Toddler said:
:lol

I bet dude was just dying to ask one of 'em a question, just anything to start conversation, and gets shot down like that.

They hit up Texas 3 times before hop-scotching way up to Tennessee. Seems La. got shot down too :(

Yeah, I have no doubt that's what he was trying to do. But the way he asked it kinda is what set him up to get shot down. Plus, it was pretty obvious since there was this huge flat-bed trailer not more than 5 feet from the truck.

The places they went/are going seem really random to me. I live in Ohio and drove out to Indianapolis since that was the closest one to me. Plus, the Gamestop they were at once probably one of the smallest/oldest ones in the Indianapolis area. If I were to guess why it went there was because it was in a parking lot for Target that had moved/gone out of business.

Sorry no love for Louisiana. But after playing the game a lot today, it's terrible having to wait till the 22nd to play it again.

~B.B.

Digital-Hero said:

I'm nerding out here, forgive me.

According to the Halo timeline up at HBO, Chief left on October 20th, 2552 and returned sometime in November, making the amount of time he was gone anywhere from 11 days to just over 5 weeks.

Just watched the football game and am getting on Halo now. Anyone up for Flag join my party.

I'm refusing to watch any of the ODST videos unless they are posted by Bungie. I don't want to ruin the game or water down the experience.

Blueblur1 said:
Did you just get your Xbox back? Or am I confusing you with someone else?
Got it in the mail today. :) I'm stoked, I finally get to play me some Halo. Five and me just pooped on some BKs in Team Flag. Was hella fun.

big ander

Huge sigh at when hotels charge you $13 for Internet access. Oh well, this iPhone is getting me by, even if I can't watch all these Firefight vids. I'm also glad I can't read spoiler tagged stuff. I'm sure I would have seen he G4 thing, whatever it was.

I'm really liking the impressions of Windward and Lost Platoon. Vehicle based FF maps sound spectacular, and sniper spawns on a map should be fun. So does every Firefight map kinda have a theme then (sniper level, vehicle level, maybe a heavy weapons level?) ? Or are Lost Platoon and Windward exceptions?

Wish I was home so I could get my hands on Firefight in mere hours, but oh well.
11 days. *Stares at clock and twiddles thumbs*

The GTTV Episode this week was kinda nice. Got to see the making of the "We Are ODST" trailer, and a little interesting arcade title releasing this month called "Lucidity". It's going to be like a platformer, tetris style. It's kinda what it sounds like. :lol

GhaleonEB

big ander said:
I'm really liking the impressions of Windward and Lost Platoon. Vehicle based FF maps sound spectacular, and sniper spawns on a map should be fun. So does every Firefight map kinda have a theme then (sniper level, vehicle level, maybe a heavy weapons level?) ? Or are Lost Platoon and Windward exceptions?
I don't know about a theme, but every map had some unique elements. Lost Platoon has vehicles (and a laser), Windward has sniper spawns and the Banshees, Crater Night has the Engineers, etc. They all play very, very different.

One little detail I just remembered: the vehicles count as a separate "kill". So lasering a Wraith with the gunner in it landed me a triple kill, while taking him out first and then killing the Wraith later gets a double kill - for the pilot and tank. I was pretty confused at first, trying to figure out who else I killed.

EazyB

Banned
bathala said:
any word if ODST will have unlockable avatar stuff
I can't remember where I saw it but I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed to have avatar awards.

I recall seeing ODST avatar armor but I'm not sure if that was for the unlocks or if they plan on selling it later.

GhaleonEB said:
I don't know about a theme, but every map had some unique elements. Lost Platoon has vehicles (and a laser), Windward has sniper spawns and the Banshees, Crater Night has the Engineers, etc. They all play very, very different.
IIRC you spawn with a sniper at the very beginning of the match but if you die and come back you spawn with the default stuff (pistol and smg). You probably knew this but I'm just clearing it up for those that didn't sign your NDA.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
backflip10019 said:
Tashi, my brother and I got pretty butt raped at one point earlier tonight by Arkanum and a couple of other pros. It was not pretty.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1345272566&player=backflip10019

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1345281580&player=backflip10019

This was my first run-in playing against pros and I think I did pretty well (in the second game, not the first). Oh well, I guess I'll get 'em next time.

Yea that was fun, well...the first game was. I really didn't wanna play the same game twice. I was hoping for objective on the second one. I was just playing against Naded two games in a row. First one was actually pretty close and I did pretty well but the second one I got my ass kicked. I've noticed that I suck at Narrows Slayer. I gotta work on that. Any time I get matched against a good team on Narrows slayer, it's always an ass kicking. Never close.

GhaleonEB

So I know I said I was done with Sandstorm after the last few changes, but the feedback from the last version was that it needed some more love. The man cannon did its job of providing a way up to the top floor from the bases, but had too much hang time and announced player movement too loudly. I've made two (hopefully final) geometry changes.

First, I've added some more cover to the bases in the form of another set of angled walls. So now there's quite a bit of cover from the rear of the bases, so it's harder to camp it with vehicles. I've moved the plasma pistol and power drain inside the base as well so guys inside can disable attacking vehicles.

SandstormTweak1.jpg

The other was to move a column down and put a grav lift on top, rather than a man cannon. This had two benefits. First, it clears up the ramp exiting the base, so people don't launch by accident. And second, it makes it much faster, less dangerous and quiter to get up to the top floor from the base.

Sandstormtweak2.jpg

That's the apex of the jump now.

Version 2.7 is here. I'll park it in the (second part) of the OP as well. I think that should do it for this map. At last.

Butane123

Holy crap! That map has another level on top of it! [/inside joke that only BB will get]

I really need to finish up the few maps I have unfinished. That new glitch should make them much easier too.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a little late on this conversation, but I'm not sure what the issue is. We never actually saw the city get flattened - only a bright flash. And in Halo 3 you can see Mombasa skyscrapers still standing in the distance:

It looks a little rough, but I don't think it's any stretch to say that the majority of it is still intact.

And as far as those wondering how much time passed from the Chief's departure until his return: in Ghosts of Onyx (pg. 203), Blue Team is running around Earth fighting the Covenant for at least a full two weeks after the Chief's slipspace exit (Oct 20th - Nov 3rd).

urk said:
Review copies haven't been sent out and the embargo date is incorrect.

It doesn't say review copies have been sent out.

The embargo date is correct, for UK journalists who played the game at a review day.

You'll see come the 20th.

EazyB

Banned
Looks neat Ghaleon, haven't played it in a while. Actually I haven't played customs in some time either.

I have an updated version of Creek. I believe it's impossible to get out of but if anyone's up for a challenge I'd love some reassurance. I hope to get my films done and submitted to Atlas before the next 7th.

Ber Ber Creek

Striker

xxjuicesxx said:
Guardian - too cramped for 5v5.

How can Shishka not understand this?
Played bits of Team Flag tonight, and realized:

Too much damn 1-flag variants on symmetrical maps (default Sandbox, Avalanche, etc.). Others came up, but vetoed. Only played two normal 2-flag games (Isolation & Orbital, which is god-awful, but that's well known).

Heavies' weight is either too high or should not pop up after veto; only played two, but they came up often and when they did, I had to beg to differ.

I sincerely hope Team Throwback ditches Heavies period and there's a bigger variety of 2-flag on symmetrical maps. The likes of Standoff, The Pit, Heretic, Citadel, Narrows, Isolation, Snowbound and more of the classic 1-flag on maps they were intended: Last Resort, High Ground, Blackout, etc.). Maybe we'll see some legitimate Sandbox or Foundry variants, as well, or even varied maps of others (Laser-less Standoff, for instance).

What bugs me is Team Objective was already restricted by certain things, and if they do the same for Throwback, not only forcing it as Mythic Required, and putting in the same regular maps and game variants, it won't do well at all.

Top Bottom