• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3: ODST Thread

Louis Wu

2006_wreckage.jpg

You've known since 2006 that that tether was coming down. Don't panic about seeing it happen; it's not a real spoiler.

Louis Wu said:
http://files.smallbits.com/images/2006_wreckage.jpg[/IMG

[spoiler]You've known since 2006 that that tether was coming down. Don't panic about seeing it happen; it's not a real spoiler.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
If it's not a spoiler, then why use spoiler tags?

*starts thinking deeply*

[QUOTE=Domino Theory]Wait, so the Breaking In article has serious spoilers for ODST?[/QUOTE]
I think Kibs was talking about G4TV. He just posted the Breaking In article at the same time.

Kibbles

Louis Wu said:
http://files.smallbits.com/images/2006_wreckage.jpg[/.IMG]

[spoiler]You've known since 2006 that that tether was coming down. Don't panic about seeing it happen; it's not a real spoiler.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
True. Just a heads up for people that plan on watching the show, if they want to experience it on their own. There is quite a bit of new content in the show.

[URL="http://g4tv.com/videos/41301/Halo-3-ODST-Firefight-Maps-Preview/"]The G4 Firefight Preview[/URL] shows off Lost Platoon, Windward, and Rally Point (Night). I guess they could be added to the OP now.

Kibbles said:
True. Just a heads up for people that plan on watching the show, if they want to experience it on their own. There is quite a bit of new content in the show.

The G4 Firefight Preview shows off Lost Platoon, Windward, and Rally Point (Night). I guess they could be added to the OP now.
Guess I'll miss their campaign footage, then. I'll watch Firefight though. Thanks.

GhaleonEB

Kibbles said:
The G4 Firefight Preview shows off Lost Platoon, Windward, and Rally Point (Night). I guess they could be added to the OP now.
Oh good. Lost Platoon and Windward are the other two maps I played at Bungie. The NPD expired today.

Both are fuck-awesome. Eazy saved my ass so many times on Lost Platoon. He was truckin' around the Chopper, I was on foot. I lost track of how many times I had to call, "Help me EazyB, you're my only hope!" There would be a roar, a bunch of dust, and some dead Covenant a few moments later.

More than anything, I want to play on Lost Platoon again. It was freakin' awesome.

GhaleonEB said:
Oh good. Lost Platoon and Windward are the other two maps I played at Bungie. The NPD expired today.

Both are fuck-awesome. Eazy saved my ass so many times on Lost Platoon. He was truckin' around the Chopper, I was on foot. I lost track of how many times I had to call, "Help me EazyB, you're my only hope!" There would be a roar, a bunch of dust, and some dead Covenant a few moments later.

More than anything, I want to play on Lost Platoon again. It was freakin' awesome.

It looks awesome! I love vehicle-based gameplay in Halo, so Lost Platoon is already looking to be one of my favorites for Firefight.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
For those who care...MLG vs The World is going on right now. They take 2 MLG employees and 2 MLG Pros and team them up and throw them in matchmaking. Nexy is streaming the whole thing right now. There are 3 teams in matchmaking currently.

http://www.justin.tv/nexy

GhaleonEB said:

I can't believe I didn't suspect anything. I guess that was because I completely forgot you got to play at Bungie.

Can you describe your experiences on Windward?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GhaleonEB said:

So at this point I believe I'm the only one at HaloGAF that hasn't been kidnapped by Bungie to play ODST. :(

Kibbles

GhaleonEB said:
:lol Awesome. EazyB was there too? Lucky bastards.

enzo_gt said:
How the hell can you enable instant respawns like that?! I must know.
It's a modded gametype. Play with some guys that play a lot of MLG , I'm sure at least one of them has it. It really changes the dynamics of Bungie's spawning system when you play it out of the dome (or so I've heard *clears throat*).

MNC

Oh shit, the covenant cruiser jumping in the intro is the one that's jumping inside the city in Halo 2 :lol I never knew! You can even see the In Amber Clad.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
squidhands said:
It's a modded gametype. Play with some guys that play a lot of MLG , I'm sure at least one of them has it. It really changes the dynamics of Bungie's spawning system when you play it out of the dome (or so I've heard *clears throat*).

If its modded, won't I get banned?

enzo_gt said:
So at this point I believe I'm the only one at HaloGAF that hasn't been kidnapped by Bungie to play ODST. :(

You're not alone. The closest I've been to a Bungie event was by playing the Bungie vs. The World playlist. Even then I didn't even play against Bungie.

Kibbles said:
Time to move to Seattle then eh?

I've been thinking about it a lot lately since I'll be moving out pretty soon.

Not because of Bungie, but because my trip to Seattle in 2006 really made me want to live there.

Nutter

People need to hop on and play Team Flag. Quitters are not making it fun right now.

And about people being kidnapped. how about being kidnapped and then being fed Pizza.
Pizza and Firefight was awesome.

t4ng0

Nutter said:
People need to hop on and play Team Flag. Quitters are not making it fun right now.

And about people being kidnapped. how about being kidnapped and then being fed Pizza.
I'll jump on for some Flag

MNC said:
Oh shit, the covenant cruiser jumping in the intro is the one that's jumping inside the city in Halo 2 :lol I never knew! You can even see the In Amber Clad.

Wow you didn't know that. They explained that long time ago. :lol

The sad thing is, the city has been redesigned and doesn't resemble the New Mombasa from Halo 2. Also, the city was utterly destroyed by Truth ship and the slip-space rupture, but yet a lot of the city in ODST is immaculate. Talk about continuity. Heh.

GhaleonEB

Kibbles said:
:lol Awesome. EazyB was there too? Lucky bastards.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17467194&postcount=6143

EazyB said:
Who's that handsome devil Miller is blocking? http://twitpic.com/giz5u
:p
Nutter said:
It was good to see you again.

Gonna check out the new articles/interviews and then I'll update the OP.

Louis Wu

Whoa. Just checked out G4's site, watched some of the new vids they posted tonight... beware. There are TONS of spoilers visible in the footage. I'd be pissed right now if I hadn't already played this.

BEWARE ABOUT WATCHING THESE. (Exceptions are the multiplayer-only vids.)

Walshicus

Digital-Hero said:
Wow you didn't know that. They explained that long time ago. :lol

The sad thing is, the city has been redesigned and doesn't resemble the New Mombasa from Halo 2. Also, the city was utterly destroyed by Truth ship and the slip-space rupture, but yet a lot of the city in ODST is immaculate. Talk about continuity. Heh.
To be fair, in Halo 2 you mostly explored the old quarter. And you never actually saw Mombasa being destroyed - just the bright flash and a lot of wind.

Sir Fragula said:
To be fair, in Halo 2 you mostly explored the old quarter. And you never actually saw Mombasa being destroyed - just the bright flash and a lot of wind.

Really? The city is devasted in my opinion which is why you see pieces of the Space Tether all over the Savanah in Halo 3 "Tsavo Highway".

Slipspace Rupture in the City Center

Obviously, it's just a game but the continuity is a little messed up here.

Walshicus

Digital-Hero said:
Really? The city is devasted in my opinion which is why you see pieces of the Space Tether all over the Savanah in Halo 3 "Tsavo Highway".

Slipspace Rupture in the City Center

Obviously, it's just a game but the continuity is a little messed up here.
Yeah, but the space elevator is hundreds of kilometres high, so when the base fell of course it'd be stretched.

And again the last thing we see of New Mombasa [before ODST] is a bright white light and buses being thrown about. We don't see a crater afterward or the ruins. Halo 2 may have implied that all was destroyed, but we now know that to not be the case. Not a ret-con as such, but an elaboration on what was previously an unknown.

Edit: :lol
Some guy I banned on Bungie.net is trying to claim that when he wrote "n*ga" he actually meant the North American Grappling Association. And now I'm being told I'm restricting his free speech. A laugh a day! :lol

EazyB

Banned
Hmm, Flag or Beatles...

Nutter said:
Sure there are things you want to see for your self.. key word SEE. It is a sight to behold though :p
And sometimes you just wanna drive the warthog past such spectacles.

Sibylus

Banned
In all likelihood the rupture devastated a section of the city, but it wasn't capable of excavating the portal (that began after the Covenant invaded for a second time).

Sir Fragula said:
Yeah, but the space elevator is hundreds of kilometres high, so when the base fell of course it'd be stretched.

And again the last thing we see of New Mombasa [before ODST] is a bright white light and buses being thrown about. We don't see a crater afterward or the ruins. Halo 2 may have implied that all was destroyed, but we now know that to not be the case. Not a ret-con as such, but an elaboration on what was previously an unknown.
I as well felt that the custscene implied that the city was destroyed when the ship made a slipspace jump. Good thing the cutscene didn't show the aftermath. :p Apparently the city wasn't completely destroyed. I'm glad for it because otherwise we wouldn't be getting ODST.:D

Ghal: Can you give us your impressions of Windward? Is it is fun as it looks?

Sir Fragula said:

You do see the ruins beyond the Ark crater in Halo 3 and there isn't much standing.

Bungie can do whatever they want with the lore, noticing continuity is just a personal idiosyncrasy of mine. Thanks for replying.

Dax01 said:
I as well felt that the custscene implied that the city was destroyed when the ship made a slipspace jump. Good thing the cutscene didn't show the aftermath. :p

I guess I'm not alone.

Kibbles

Digital-Hero said:
You do see the ruins beyond the Ark crater in Halo 3 and there isn't much standing.
Yeah, but that is after all the events in ODST. Things could go down in ODST that explain the ruins you see in Halo 3.

Frenck

Banned
Didn't the Covenant start digging the Ark crater at some point around the time Halo 3's opening level took place?

That would explain the ruins.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Ghal: Can you give us your impressions of Windward? Is it is fun as it looks?
Very fun. You spawn with a sniper rifle, which in the maps I played (we didn't play on all of them - just the ones Bungie/G4 have talked about) was unique.

From spawn room you can go left or right, out into an open area. Or, head downstairs out the center. (The level wraps around the outside.) Along the edges of those two sides are where Covenant get dropped off, and that's where a Banshee or two is prowling. (There's a missile pod and rockets available to take them out with.)

It's a challenging map, partly because there's three ways into the central spawn room. This means you can be on one side of the map and have guys get dropped off, and when you're trying to fall back you have Covenant flowing through the central rooms, so you're cut off. The sniper is good for keeping the heavy Brute rounds at bay a bit, but in every game I played on it we got over run, even in the spawn room - too many ways in.

It was more challenging than the other maps I played on, partly because you could get over run and there's no really safe areas. Even the spawn room, with three ways in, is tough to defend from. Very fun, very challenging map.

Kibbles said:
Yeah, but that is after all the events in ODST. Things could go down in ODST that explain the ruins you see in Halo 3.

The time period from which the Chief came back to Earth from High Charity was not long. If you notice at the end of Halo 2 when Lord Hood says, "Master Chief can you tell me what you are doing on that ship?" The battle around the defense platforms was still happening. Unless Master Chief was on Truth's ship for weeks when it plummeted to earth, there really isn't much to explain away the time difference. The ODST's are probably still in the City as the Chief is going through the events of Halo 3.

I'm nerding out here, forgive me.

Sibylus

Banned
Several weeks to dig around with their Scarabs and ships and whatnot sounds like plenty to get the job done. If I'm not mistaken, Chief spent a few days around Delta Halo and High Charity, and the rest of the time on the Forerunner ship.

Striker

Orbital is so awful. I mean, really. Why must there be grenades starts and radar? Without those two, this would be so much better, or at least not a chore to play. :\

Top Bottom