• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan’s G7 host city under fire for 'obscene and sexist' mascot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently most of the reaction they've received has been positive, so it's difficult to figure out how big of a deal this actually is.

patapuf

This doesn't look obscene or afwul but seein the divers it doesn't look like it's a good mascot either. The boyfriend backstory is also wierd.

MilkyJoe

sexy.jpg

Fury451

Banned
she's also not as bad as some stuff as i've seen in OTHER anime!!!!!

It really isn't though, sarcasm aside. Doesn't mean it's a good mascot either, especially for this event.

This doesn't look obscene or afwul but seein the divers it doesn't look like it's a good mascot either. The boyfriend backstory is also wierd.

Yeah, I didn't notice that part at first. Such a weirdly specific and arbitrary thing to include. I can see why that in particular would raise eyebrows.

Opiate

Seems no more sexualised than what you can see in pop videos these days.

That's not really a ringing endorsement then, is it? For instance, it's fine if you're a 34 year old who is still in to sugar gum pop music. I don't think it's something that should be ostracized and condemned in all situations.

But what if you have family or flatmates who are having someone important over? Let's say your flatmate is having his boss over for dinner. I don't think it's unreasonable at all for him to say, "Do you think you could take your posters of Britney Spears in a schoolgirl outfit down for a while? I'm cool with you being a manchild most of the time, but I'd appreciate some maturity in this particular situation."

Stet

Banned
I have nothing wrong with this. It's like hiding your underage figure models because a girl is coming ov...your mom is coming over.

Apparently most of the reaction they've received has been positive, so it's difficult to figure out how big of a deal this actually is.

170 people, mostly female divers
have signed a petition. Not sure how that stacks up to the positive response (or even what the proportion of ama who don't like it is to those who do or don't care), but I do feel like if this character is meant to represent the ama divers in some form they should have some say in the design. I can totally get that a group of mostly older women aren't particularly thrilled about being represented to foreign folks by a sprightly teen youth whose desire for a boyfriend is somehow noteworthy.

i wonder if the same ruckus would exist if the mascot was male...

Probably a different kind of ruckus. Ama are all female, I think, so a male mascot would make less sense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it would either be a cute anime girl or a stupid fucking bear with a clam on its head representing the town/prefecture. As far as stereotypical anime girls go, I'd say she is fairly restrained and the reaction sounds overblown. Obscene - really?

have signed a petition. Not sure how that stacks up to the positive response (or even what the proportion of ama who don't like it is to those who do or don't care), but I do feel like if this character is meant to represent the ama divers in some form they should have some say in the design. I can totally get that a group of mostly older women aren't particularly thrilled about being represented to foreign folks by a sprightly teen youth whose desire for a boyfriend is somehow noteworthy.

Sure, I won't disagree with any of that. Better info on the total amount of responses would have been a nice addition to the article, that's all.

patapuf

it would either be a cute anime girl or a stupid fucking bear with a clam on its head representing the town/prefecture. As far as stereotypical anime girls go, I'd say she is fairly restrained and the reaction sounds overblown. Obscene - really?

As the poster above pointed out: traditional, older women might not think that a 17 year old looking for her boyfriend in a strangely impractical diving suit (if that's what it's supposed to be) is a good representation of themselves.

While the character itself isn't really obscene the strong negative reaction (even if it's by a minority) to it seem pretty understanbable to me.

Probably a different kind of ruckus. Ama are all female, I think, so a male mascot would make less sense.

It would be interesting to know what the majority of the drivers think about it. Based on wiki there are like 1000 divers.

And the very first picture on wiki shows a woman in that outfit of the mascot character.

DarkKyo

Considering the naysayers live and work in Japan I'd bet you're mistaken there.

I'd wager that western nerds perusing the internet has seen more weird shit from Japan than the protesters there who are shocked by this, but who knows.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Yeah, it's clearly sexist. And that comment about "PC Muckrackers" earlier on was pretty sexist too. Sure, it's pretty tame by Vita standars, but that's a very low bar when looking for a mascot to represent real women. These ladies are 100% in the right to demand a change.

marrec

Banned
Yeah, it's clearly sexist. And that comment about "PC Muckrackers" earlier on was pretty sexist too. Sure, it's pretty tame by Vita standars, but that's a very low bar when looking for a mascot to represent real women. These ladies are 100% in the right to demand a change.

The Animated Japanese women on my Vita game are MUCH more sexy than this prude.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
she's also not as bad as some stuff as i've seen in OTHER anime!!!!!

This isn't an anime character. It's a mascot for the city. How did anyone think that would be a good idea? LMAO.

This is the mascot for the city/prefecture that I lived in. Huge difference.
100man%20san.jpg

GorillaJu

At least then she'll look like she's ready to dive for some clams.

Traditionally, ama divers do it topless, so if you look at it from that perspective, she's actually overdressed for the occasion!

The dumbest thing here is the "looking for a boyfriend" part. Like what kind of ridiculous characterization is that.

Sure, I won't disagree with any of that. Better info on the total amount of responses would have been a nice addition to the article, that's all.

It would be interesting to know what the majority of the drivers think about it. Based on wiki there are like 1000 divers.

And the very first picture on wiki shows a woman in that outfit of the mascot character.

Hm, wonder how much work it would take to poll all/most ama. It would make for a more interesting followup article for sure.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I'd wager that western nerds perusing the internet has seen more weird shit from Japan than the protesters there who are shocked by this, but who knows.
Yeah, western anime nerds are going to have a pretty warped perspective. I mean, it's not a schoolgirl being raped by tentacles so what's the problem?

Yeah, western anime nerds are going to have a pretty warped perspective. I mean, it's not a schoolgirl being raped by tentacles so what's the problem?

I hope you and some other guys are more toxic than all the imaginary anime fans you guys are talking about.

Walpurgis

Banned

LOL

But really, that mascot really isn't bad compared to stuff I've seen on Japanese shows for children and families. Just google Nami and Robin from One Piece (probably nsfw). So it's more like her breasts aren't obscenely large and she's actually wearing clothes. What's the problem? Of course, the mascot is unrepresentative of the actual divers so I can understand their offense. I'm just surprised by their reaction because they live in Japan. They've certainly seen worse than I have.

Stet

Banned

I would imagine they're more upset that people are being mean to a clumsy girl who just wants a boyfriend, fictional or not.

Amachan (live action Japanese drama) was an okay series for the first few episodes. I want to give it another shot, though the 140ish (fake edit: 156!!) episodes, even at 15 mins a piece, is a pretty overwhelming concept.

So she wants to become an ama and then she becomes an idol instead?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Man, you guys really like showing your insecurity by constantly making fun of anime fans, huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom