• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty S2 |OT| Wubba Lubba Dub Dub - Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamlet

Fun episode but not their best. Always going to be hard coming after one of the funniest episodes in Rick and Morty. Still next weeks episode looks really good though going by that promo.

Zubz

Banned
This is definitely the closest the show has come to a weak episode, IMO, but it was still good. I was really glad to see Birdperson return, too; he was probably my favorite of S1's side-characters.

Also, it's weird thinking that the season's half over. It's definitely been a great one!

Hamlet

IMTOzIj.png

Squanchy!

Zubz

Banned
IMTOzIj.png

Squanchy!

Huh; I missed him the first time around!
Not the fact that Rick was holding a different Morty in that one picture, though. I mean, I already thought the "Earth C-137's Morty was the Evil Morty and our Morty's from a different universe entirely" theory was all-but canon, but that definitely helped.

I wonder why the 3 of them were in a band together?

DarkKyo

Episode was decent. For some reason it feels like the first episode to really jump the shark, so to speak. And that's saying a lot lol

Trouble

Banned
It was inevitable that this week would be a letdown after last week's episode. Not bad, it had its moments, but Total Rickall has set the bar so goddamned high.

TCKaos

Not the fact that Rick was holding a different Morty in that one picture, though. I mean, I already thought the "Earth C-137's Morty was the Evil Morty and our Morty's from a different universe entirely" theory was all-but canon, but that definitely helped.

Wait, what? You're going to have to explain this one to me.

DarkKyo

I think I know what bothers me so much about this episode in particular...

Okay, so the show is pretty wacky and they constantly break the fourth wall and the science fiction concepts are often completely unrealistic. I don't have a problem with any of that stuff because we're lead to believe that Rick's technology and super science makes anything in the show possible. The show also goes to great lengths to show you the heavy-handed emotional side of things. The often grim results of science experiments gone wrong, dark themes like the correlation between intelligence and sadness, and coping with the powerlessness of mortality in the face of the hard truth. It's a very fine balance and when it works, it's awesome! It's what makes the show stand out. In "Rick Potion No. 9" the ending is only made so powerful because we can see the toll that Rick's bastardized and lazy science has taken on the entire human race in a particular universe. However, that feeling is only made possible when it's shown that the universe(well, universes at this point) that Rick and Morty live in is actually a pretty normal, realistic place where crazy events involving aliens and interdimensional characters are mostly localized to Rick as they show up in the wake of Rick's often reckless experiments and immature ventures. The premise for most episodes often involve a conflict that is either brought upon by an experiment gone awry, stumbled upon while on a crazy adventure, or is tracked to earth by/on Rick himself. The biggest problem with this episode is that these massive head aliens came to Earth with seemingly no provocation or purpose besides instant, easy conflict. Rick knows about them, sure, but there was no explanation linking them to Rick or his actions. Add to that the fact that the entire planet has to deal with something so bizarre. Rick feels like a bystander in this episode that just chooses to get involved because he's bored. The heads coming to Earth randomly flips the idea that this world is a normal place like our Earth that, from time to time, has to deal with Rick's super science shenanigans. Now the world in the show is more so a place where anything can happen even without Rick around.

So it was an okay episode, but it messed with the formula a bit and felt a little unsatisfying due to that. It almost takes away from what the show has been going for so far a little bit. Makes everything feel a little cheaper and a little more random. Another thing I worry about is that I think Rick and Morty might soon start to suffer from the complex that some shows have of the titular characters having such a big role in saving the world over and over again but avoiding celebrity status(having the world in the show not remember that those crazy guys who are saving the world just saved the world sometime last year).

HariKari

The biggest problem with this episode is that these massive head aliens came to Earth with seemingly no provocation or purpose besides instant, easy conflict. Rick knows about them, sure, but there was no explanation linking them to Rick or his actions. Add to that the fact that the entire planet has to deal with something so bizarre. Rick feels like a bystander in this episode that just chooses to get involved because he's bored. The heads coming to Earth randomly flips the idea that this world is a normal place like our Earth that, from time to time, has to deal with Rick's super science shenanigans. Now the world in the show is more so a place where anything can happen even without Rick around.

Great take. It felt lazy, and it felt off. I think this pretty much nails why. They should stick to smaller, more contained adventures. Once you bring the earth and everybody else into the picture constantly, it doesn't work.

Mariolee

Eh, didn't like that episode. I loved the A plot with the heads and the return of Birdperson. However, the B plot made me roll my eyes more than once. It's a topic that's been retreaded multiple times over more mature animated shows as well as other forms of media where we have the religious be crazy and cultish and of course completely unreasonable and the only reasonable ones are the irreligious. I get that I really shouldn't criticize comedy for simplifying things for laughs, but with a show as intelligent as Rick and Morty I thought they would rise above that. I actually thought they were going to subvert it, especially with how quick Principal Vagina switched to his new head worship but it pretty much played exactly how I'd expect it to go which is in contrast to how the A plot had so much variety and hilarious twists (I especially loved what they did with Ice-T being an alien as well as being voiced apparently by Dan Harmon. Incredible.) It just felt really uninspired and actually surprised me that it was here since I'm so used to this show subverting these kinds of tropes.

The biggest problem with this episode is that these massive head aliens came to Earth with seemingly no provocation or purpose besides instant, easy conflict. Rick knows about them, sure, but there was no explanation linking them to Rick or his actions. Add to that the fact that the entire planet has to deal with something so bizarre. Rick feels like a bystander in this episode that just chooses to get involved because he's bored. The heads coming to Earth randomly flips the idea that this world is a normal place like our Earth that, from time to time, has to deal with Rick's super science shenanigans. Now the world in the show is more so a place where anything can happen even without Rick around.

That didn't bother me as much as it did you as I love a fun creative sci-fi romp no matter how it starts but the best episodes are definitely the ones where it's Rick's or one of the family members' actions that trigger it as it holds more weight and we care about the stakes more. I did like the bit of good side we saw in Rick with Birdperson's pictures however which was a great bit of humanity to add to Rick.

Lijik

Eh, didn't like that episode. I loved the A plot with the heads and the return of Birdperson. However, the B plot made me roll my eyes more than once. It's a topic that's been retreaded multiple times over more mature animated shows as well as other forms of media where we have the religious be crazy and cultish and of course completely unreasonable and the only reasonable ones are the irreligious. I get that I really shouldn't criticize comedy for simplifying things for laughs, but with a show as intelligent as Rick and Morty I thought they would rise above that. I actually thought they were going to subvert it, especially with how quick Principal Vagina switched to his new head worship but it pretty much played exactly how I'd expect it to go which is in contrast to how the A plot had so much variety and hilarious twists (I especially loved what they did with Ice-T being an alien as well as being voiced apparently by Dan Harmon. Incredible.) It just felt really uninspired and actually surprised me that it was here since I'm so used to this show subverting these kinds of tropes.

I enjoyed the episode more than you did, but I definitely felt like the b-plot fell pretty flat. Felt like the whole thing was built around the joke of people misinterpreting the giant heads during the climax instead of actually exploring its themes.

Korgill

I think I know what bothers me so much about this episode in particular...

Okay, so the show is pretty wacky and they constantly break the fourth wall and the science fiction concepts are often completely unrealistic. I don't have a problem with any of that stuff because we're lead to believe that Rick's technology and super science makes anything in the show possible. The show also goes to great lengths to show you the heavy-handed emotional side of things. The often grim results of science experiments gone wrong, dark themes like the correlation between intelligence and sadness, and coping with the powerlessness of mortality in the face of the hard truth. It's a very fine balance and when it works, it's awesome! It's what makes the show stand out. In "Rick Potion No. 9" the ending is only made so powerful because we can see the toll that Rick's bastardized and lazy science has taken on the entire human race in a particular universe. However, that feeling is only made possible when it's shown that the universe(well, universes at this point) that Rick and Morty live in is actually a pretty normal, realistic place where crazy events involving aliens and interdimensional characters are mostly localized to Rick as they show up in the wake of Rick's often reckless experiments and immature ventures. The premise for most episodes often involve a conflict that is either brought upon by an experiment gone awry, stumbled upon while on a crazy adventure, or is tracked to earth by/on Rick himself. The biggest problem with this episode is that these massive head aliens came to Earth with seemingly no provocation or purpose besides instant, easy conflict. Rick knows about them, sure, but there was no explanation linking them to Rick or his actions. Add to that the fact that the entire planet has to deal with something so bizarre. Rick feels like a bystander in this episode that just chooses to get involved because he's bored. The heads coming to Earth randomly flips the idea that this world is a normal place like our Earth that, from time to time, has to deal with Rick's super science shenanigans. Now the world in the show is more so a place where anything can happen even without Rick around.

Well, with all of Rick`s history with interplanetary species, it stands to reason that the Earth would be known universe wide. By this point he doesn't need direct contact for them to want to come to Earth. He basically has sold the earth as a planet with no defense except for Rick, and with lots of anything they would want. Food, targets, resources, junk, whatever.

FoneBone

I think that might be my least favorite episode of the show to date, honestly. It still had its moments, but it just felt off both conceptually (for the reasons others have described above) and in terms of characterizations (particularly Summer).

Permanently A

This picture is fucking important.

If I remember correctly, Rick wasn't around for Morty's birth and a good chunk of the Smith family's life, which is why Beth is so scared of losing her dad again. So this Morty must be Rick's original Morty, the one that possibly ended up being Evil Morty. Birdperson glossing over it also makes me suspicious of this.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

I like the fact Morty was asking Birdman about this and Birdman just ignored him and kept guilt tripping him.

I also thought the B story was pretty good. As someone else said it was predictable. However Beth and Jerry reaction to the cult was funny nonetheless. Summer seemed out of character though but it made sense based on the story since of course if a principal became the pope his first rules would be obedience from children.

Hinchy

I concur with the thoughts in this thread that that was the least good episode of Rick and Morty ever. But it was inevitable that there'd be a bit of a letdown after they've hit it out of the park four times in a row this season. And it was still pretty funny. And I liked seeing Bird Person again. So, cool.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This episode was ok. I think it had a lot of potential, and some of the jokes didn't work as well as they could have. The songs were dope.

I like the concept of turning religion on its head for the B plot, but it didn't work that well (it was alright with some funny moments). I'm not sure what angle they could have approached the topic from to make it better.

Ehh... Anatomy Park?

What, that episode was great. Exploding giant naked man? Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom