• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

AKB49 ch189

Nothing ever goes off without a hitch.

Akagi ch256

So he basically conquered Hell, lol.

Aho Girl ch55

Being Sayaka is suffering.

Netsuzou Trap ch.v1 Extra

Choosing the right bra is important after all.

Peephole ch82

A new arc? What's the point without her around?

Hero Union BBS ch20

Well, anyone can be a hero I suppose.

Are they only on 189 for AKB49? =O

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki spoilers - hopefully this isn't going where I'm guessing it is.

- Erina is fearful of her father
- Meanwhile, Soma & Megumi head to Eishi's stall
- Eishi prepares 9 course meals by himself and is called the "White Knight of the Dining Table" (Foodgasm shot of Eishi in full Knight's Armor)
- Soma gets fired up by Eishi's skill (obviously)
- Soma & Megumi decide to check out Erina's restaurant
- Megumi talks about how that day they experienced something on some new level or something

Basically I'm concerned at the possibility this heads into "Soma rescues Erina" nonsense or even that he tries, which would piss me the fuck off.

Shokugeki spoilers - hopefully this isn't going where I'm guessing it is.

- Erina is fearful of her father
- Meanwhile, Soma & Megumi head to Eishi's stall
- Eishi prepares 9 course meals by himself and is called the "White Knight of the Dining Table" (Foodgasm shot of Eishi in full Knight's Armor)
- Soma gets fired up by Eishi's skill (obviously)
- Soma & Megumi decide to check out Erina's restaurant
- Megumi talks about how that day they experienced something on some new level or something

Basically I'm concerned at the possibility this heads into "Soma rescues Erina" nonsense or even that he tries, which would piss me the fuck off.

indeed... Erina is seen as some endgame battle with Soma

after hyping her up it would be stupid to have her be saved by Soma since with such a thing it may change the whole current (she is in another rank) story... Soma is stupid enough to challenge him
hopefully the Dad leaves before they arrive

Arabesque

indeed... Erina is seen as some endgame battle with Soma

after hyping her up it would be stupid to have her be saved by Soma since with such a thing it may change the whole current (she is in another rank) story... Soma is stupid enough to challenge him
hopefully the Dad leaves before they arrive

From Megumi's final line, it seems like they do meet the father and taste his cooking, actually. So it's very likely they will meet him.

As from Erina being on a higher rank/level, that sort of got downplayed now that we had seen the capabilities of the first years and having Hayama's sense of smell compared with her tasting being so precise. Just like other aspects of her character, other characters now occupy that role. She's not exactly an endgame opponent for Soma to defeat at this point any longer, as much as another tough opponent Soma will have to go up against in order to improve himself.

I doubt the story will turn into a "Soma rescues Erina" deal, so much as Soma helps Erina deal with her daddy issues and helps her take a step forward from being so terrified of him. But we will see what happens.

From Megumi's final line, it seems like they do meet the father and taste his cooking, actually. So it's very likely they will meet him.

As from Erina being on a higher rank/level, that sort of got downplayed now that we had seen the capabilities of the first years and having Hayama's sense of smell compared with her tasting being so precise. Just like other aspects of her character, other characters now occupy that role. She's not exactly an endgame opponent for Soma to defeat at this point any longer, as much as another tough opponent Soma will have to go up against in order to improve himself.

I doubt the story will turn into a "Soma rescues Erina" deal, so much as Soma helps Erina deal with her daddy issues and helps her take a step forward from being so terrified of him. But we will see what happens.

I agree that Erina has her work cut out for her due to all these new player being introduced to us

but I believe we will likely get a growing arc for her were she approves on her skills....maybe her Father telling looking down on her cooking may make her try and advance her cooking to a whole other level (maybe even turn to a more dark side)

I just hope Soma doesn't save her and surpasses her yet

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I don't want any of that to happen though because it sounds dumb and stereotypical white knight to the rescue shit.

Arabesque

I agree that Erina has her work cut out for her due to all these new player being introduced to us

but I believe we will likely get a growing arc for her were she approves on her skills....maybe her Father telling looking down on her cooking may make her try and advance her cooking to a whole other level (maybe even turn to a more dark side)

I just hope Soma doesn't save her and surpasses her yet

I don't know about Soma saving her, but I know one thing is for certain.

Soma isn't just surpassing Erina, he's surpassing everyone else at the end of the series. His goal is to defeat his father, anything else will mean he can't fulfill his dream.

I don't doubt there is an arc to help Erina move on and we get her becoming ... more than what she is currently. What hurt Erina the most is that we hadn't been focusing on her at all since the start of the series. Compared to the rest of the cast, she hadn't been doing much. We had been starting to see different aspects of her character for a while now, and her interactions with Soma are still fun to read. But she needs to get more to compete with the rest of the cast now. I hope this is the start of it.

In story, I think her father might be a negative influence on her world view in regards to how she approaches cooking, so maybe she's going to end up being more of a hardass about Soma coming from a dinner now? Or it will end up leading to her becoming something distance and colder to everyone around her until she's shown the error of her way.

Edit:

I don't want any of that to happen though because it sounds dumb and stereotypical white knight to the rescue shit.

I don't think it'll be a typical white knight rescue story (that was what it looked like with Megumi vs. Shinomiya, until it turned out to be the opposite of that) so I'm hopeful.

Then again, we did get introduced to a character who is nicknamed the White Knight of the Dining Table so maybe it will be this time?

I still have faith in the writer to not make that straight forward.

I mean Soma is already challenge people who are ranked higher then Erina
I am hoping the Author introduced Erina's father so that she too will rise up the ladder before Soma becomes too OP

Is this an FBI document or the manga thread?

Yuricam 18

This is good, never seen anyone take on a Yandere like that, as expected of the Master

Edit: Ok I am going to tally up the Soma popularity contest votes soon. I'll give any stragglers 30 minutes.

PK Gaming

Netsuzou Trap Volume 1 Extra

6F0Sk5A.png

Heh, I think i'd be all over this kinda of manga as well.

LOL.

Mahou Shoujo of the End 29

Yeah. Sure. Okay. I'll go with this. Makes about as much as sense as literally everything else in this series so why not.

I don't understand why Kodansha won't release Billy Bat here. It's Urasawa and the subject matter prints money. Inuyashiki volume one was really great. Afternoon's answer to Tokyo Ghoul. So metaphorical and emotional.

MANGAGAF SHOKUGEKI NO SOMA OFFICIAL POPULARITY POLL UNSURPRISING RESULTS

10 - SUBARU MIMASAKA AKA "STALKER-KUN" - 6 POINTS

Reasons people picked him -

Most entertaining character
Fuck Takumi
Interesting cooking style

8/9 - GIN DOJIMA - 11 POINTS

ABS
Voiced by Koyasu
Magical Cabbage

8/9 - RINDO KOBOYASHI AKA "CAT-SENPAI" - 11 POINTS

Reasons people picked her -

First impressions are a big deal
I liked her the second I saw her design
PLAYFUL OLDER NEE-SAN

7 - MITO IKUMI AKA "MEAT" - 12 POINTS

Meat
Breasts
Ahoge

5/6 - AKIRA HAYAMA AKA "SPICE GUY" - 13 POINTS

Spice
I want to grind my penis full of squid smelling dick cheese against his nose
Because he won

5/6 - NAKIRI ERINA - 13 POINTS

To make others mad
God's Tongue
MAZUI

4 - HISAKO ARATO - 23 POINTS

Killed the shit out of that turtle
Because Aqua never shuts up about her
Has the power to steal yandere affection

3 - TADOKORO MEGUMI - 30 POINTS

Sweet as can be
Tries her best
Who doesn't like Tadokoro?

2 - ALICE NAKIRI - 31 POINTS

best girl
Best Girl
BEST GIRL

1 (duh) - YUKIHIRA SOMA - 36 points

Well, he is the main character
Beat it Tadokoro, you dreck. Switch places with me, dumbass!
Will one day grow up to look like his father

Others -

11. Hinako Inui AKA Tadokoro's biggest fan - 5 points
12. Satoshi Isshiki AKA Naked Apron Senpai - 4 points
13. - Kurokiba Ryou AKA Dark Soma - 3 points
14/15/16. Isami Aldini/Takumi Aldini/Yuki Yoshino (Polar Star, animal girl)
17/18/1920. Nakiri Leonora (Alice's Mother)/Yukihira Joichiro (Soma's Father)/Nakiri Senzaemon (Erina's Grandfather)/Nao Sadatsuka(Erina/Hisako's Stalker) - 2 points
20/21/22/23/24/25 - Ryoko Sakaki(Polar Star, big breasts)/Nene Kinokuni(The Sixth Seat)/Ibusaki Shun(Polar Star, long hair)/Jun Shimoi (Hayama's mentor)/Terunori Kuga (Yu-Gi-Oh) - 1 point

For comparison, here is the official poll -

1. Soma
2. Erina
3. Takumi
4. Tadokoro
5. Hisako
6. Alice
7. Shinomiya
8. Hayama
9. Mito
10. Isshiki

So that was interesting. I actually expected more votes, but this has got to be the most popular series here. The only thing that could stand up would be either One Piece which has more characters so it would be a pain to do or Prison School.

If I've learned anything from official character popularity polls for manga it's that Japan has the absolute worst fucking taste.

I want to grind my penis full of squid smelling dick cheese against his nose

FUCK, come on, I was drinking something.

Soma is definitely worth the popularity though. I believe it is legitimately good and avoids so many tropes and cliches in modern manga.

Also if you did a Prison School poll I foresee tumultuous times for this board as the Hana faction declares open warfare on all who oppose us. Them. All who oppose them. Ahem. I'd also have to unfortunately go with younger, shaved head delinquent Risa as best girl.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I like how we all pretend the idea of a prison school poll isn't just a smoke screen to determine who has bad taste in fictional 2d women.

Prison School 150-158

Why did I wait so long to read this masterpiece? Mari is going full lesbian on Kate while Kiyoshi keeps "keh heh heh"ing to himself in his cell. And that fork scene. Wow. I'm forever gonna think of a penis whenever I see Andre now. Speaking of Andre... I don't even know where to begin. The dudes fucking insane

And prison school popularity poll? Mari obviously best girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom