• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PC performance thread

JimPanzer

After adding a second GTX 970 to my system I can run this game at 2880x1620 downsampled to 1080p with everything maxed, HABO+ at a locked 60 fps. Considering I only wanted to have 1440p with locked 60fps I think this was a success :)

Ojli

Neo Member
Just took a quick glance through the thread, but only really saw discussion about nVidia hardware. Any tips for crossfire 290X? Hoping to set everything to the max, along with down-sampling. Running on a 1080P monitor.

I'm playing with a single 290X maxed out with no fps loss at 1080p60fps. I think you'll be fine.

hodgy100

I'm playing with a r9-290 at 2560 X 1440 pretty much a solid 60fps everything very high apart from post processing and lighting.

This isn't performance related, but how the hell do I do a short toss of a throwable item with the mouse and keyboard? When I hold the right mouse button it will show the shorter arc of the throw and then if I hold the left mouse button it will change to a larger arc. I figured if I just tapped the LMB while aiming it would do the short throw but no, it changes to the large arc and ruins my throw. Am I missing something?

UrbanRats

Did they say anything about fixing the horrid framerate in the emblem building section? Or is there already a fix for it? I kind of like the emblem i came up with in the limited time i had, before i couldn't take the 3 fps anymore, but still...

MNC

The emblem creator drops to 44fps :(

Anyway, I find there's still some sharp jaggies even though I have everything maxed out. Any quick and easy AA solutions I can use? Nvidia control panel?

I have a GTX970.

Dec

This isn't performance related, but how the hell do I do a short toss of a throwable item with the mouse and keyboard? When I hold the right mouse button it will show the shorter arc of the throw and then if I hold the left mouse button it will change to a larger arc. I figured if I just tapped the LMB while aiming it would do the short throw but no, it changes to the large arc and ruins my throw. Am I missing something?

I have done it accidentally but I couldn't tell you how.

If I had to guess it would be: select grenade > hold lmb, throw on release of lmb. No touching rmb at all.

MNC

Oh wow apparently I can downsample games with this video card, that's pretty cool. Nvidia recommended something like that

Parsnip

New beta patch is available.

Beta 1.004 release / ベータ 1.004 リリース
Beta 1.004 has been released.

Changelist:

- Emblem Customization performance issues fixed
Fixed problem where game would drastically slow down when creating custom emblems.

- Tentative fix to address crash bugs during Chapter 1.
Tentatively fixed crashes that would occur on systems that had certain video codecs installed.

Releasing beta patches is something more devs should do. Give access to those that need it most and get some very valuable testing on a ton of systems before releasing it to the masses.

So i had a read through and this thread and i changed the "Ambiant Occlusion" option in the Nvidia control panel to "Quality" as recommended.

Is there anything i need to change in the games settings to compliment that?

Tovarisc

The emblem creator drops to 44fps :(

44? Lucky you! I get like 1-4 FPS with 980Ti in emblem editor if I have any of words enabled :D

So i had a read through and this thread and i changed the "Ambiant Occlusion" option in the Nvidia control panel to "Quality" as recommended.

Disable AO in the game options.

Par Score

Make sure you switch Off Ambient Inclusion in game, and you're golden.

FaintDeftone

I'm not too far into it, but the performance has been pretty great on my single 970 with everything maxed in 1080p. Seems to stay around the 60fps range.

Specs:

i7 4790k
16GB RAM
Geforce GTX 970 4(ish)GB
Running on 7200rpm WD Black platter drive

Hopefully that won't change as I progress but so far the port seems pretty good.

Just had Snake get stuck moving forwards when I went to hold up a guy, of all the places for it to happen :/

That's a really shitty bug to have in a stealth game!

Would be cool if GFE worked for me on this game but for whatever reason the optimize option isn't coming up. It's apparently unable to retrieve all current settings or whatever and from looking around others have had the same problem over the years. Not like I need it but meh, it's annoying.

Hey guys, is there a way to upload PS4 safe date for Ground Zeroes so that I can access the stuff on my PC version of Phantom Pain? Or do I need to get the PC version of GZ and beat that?

Hey guys, is there a way to upload PS4 safe date for Ground Zeroes so that I can access the stuff on my PC version of Phantom Pain? Or do I need to get the PC version of GZ and beat that?

Saves are not cross compatible between PC and the consoles. You don't need to play GZ to get the benefit (just download a 100% save), but you do need to own the game to upload that PC save data so it will sync with TPP.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can't wait until we figure out how to turn off AA and inject a custom solution.

The in-game AA is atrocious.

Well here's step one. Looking forward to the dictionary building more so we can work on FPS fixes.

This currently will allow for "extra high" Ground Zeroes style settings as well.

FXAA ON Extra High
mgsvtpp_2015_09_03_17_01_59_60_by_aloooo81-d989c54.png

FXAA OFF Extra High
mgsvtpp_2015_09_03_17_00_23_59_by_aloooo81-d989c5j.png

Gonna work on injecting SMAA later.

Check out the Xentax forums for some details on the unpacker.

I injected SMAA and FXAA through SweetFx separately, and coverage isn't great.

Off
mgsvtpp_exe_dx11_20150904_165605_by_aloooo81-d98c8xm.jpg

SMAA On
mgsvtpp_exe_dx11_20150904_165604_by_aloooo81-d98c8ya.jpg

Built in FXAA On
mgsvtpp_exe_dx11_20150904_171517_by_aloooo81-d98can7.jpg

IMO; people should make a post on the steam forums regarding the necessity to have toggleable AA as a separate option from other effects. I am pretty sure that was DRASTICALLY made clear in the run-up to the games release....

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
IMO; people should make a post on the steam forums regarding the necessity to have toggleable AA as a separate option from other effects. I am pretty sure that was DRASTICALLY made clear in the run-up to the games release....

What's frustrating is how simple it is to do. It's a binary toggle. 0 or 1. Just open the file, change it to 0 on Extra High, you're golden.

Fwiw tho, the in game FXAA implementation seems sizably better than what we can inject with Sfx.

Edit: Adding a default in-game FXAA implementation example to my above post.

Edit 2: Huh. Actually looking at it more I think SweetFx SMAA does look better than default FXAA. It would probably look a lot better with some downsampling.

Damn, I wish the coverage was a bit better.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wait, how did you get SweetFX to work with this game? I can't, no matter what build I try. Running on Windows 10 by the way.

Use Sfx 1.5.1, not Reshade. They hook in differently, and Sfx 1.5.1, using the 64bit dxgi.dll DX11 injector works perfectly. ReShade hooks in a new way that gets detected by the game and doesn't work.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like something with the 1.01 update messed some things up for me. It was perfect before. Now the shows are creeping along and I'm getting a good deal of hitching.

Finally started playing today! Based Friday afternoon. ^_^

i5 4670K @ stock 3.4GHz
Gigabyte G1 970
8GB RAM
SSD
Win 8.1 x64
1080p TV

Everything maxed out except Motion Blur OFF (I always disable MB in games). HBAO+ forced via NV Control Panel.
Locked 60fps and looks amazing. LOVE IT.
Currently on the first mission in Afghanistan, playing ONLINE and there are no iDroid issues. Yay?

Also, can't run MSI AB, game crashes on startup. :/
Tried DSR a bit (1440p), but it drops to ~45-ish with above settings. No time to fiddle (seewhatididthere.gif) with the settings now.
Anyone willing to share settings for a locked 60fps on a 1440p -> 1080p DSR with GTX 970, I'd appreciate it. Also, is DSR worth sacrificing "Extra High" all across the board?

jorimt

Use Sfx 1.5.1, not Reshade. They hook in differently, and Sfx 1.5.1, using the 64bit dxgi.dll DX11 injector works perfectly. ReShade hooks in a new way that gets detected by the game and doesn't work.

Okay, thanks. Will try that out.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Performance has been great on my 770 so far but I got mad stuttering while emerging from the caves in the Honey Bee mission. Strange because the base was cleared at that point and I just went back to get collectibles.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My fps drop something incredible whenever I'm caught in specific, thick particle effects. It happens rarely, but when it does happen boy does the framerate crawl. Best example I can give is Quiet's movement. If she runs past me, kicking up dust, the framerate drops really low.

SoundLad

With an OC'd 780ti I'm able to get a stable 60 @ 2560x1440 DSR in case anyone's wondering. In game AO disabled and using nvidia's HBAO+ instead and effects and post processing on "High".

Done the first 6 missions and a good handful of side-ops so far for reference. Perhaps later on performance may degrade but at this point in time I'm very happy.

My fps drop something incredible whenever I'm caught in specific, thick particle effects. It happens rarely, but when it does happen boy does the framerate crawl. Best example I can give is Quiet's movement. If she runs past me, kicking up dust, the framerate drops really low.

As mentioned before, that is the effects setting, which on extra high uses a shit ton of overlapping alpha (that is also shadowed and shaded!). It is pretty crazy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As mentioned before, that is the effects setting, which on extra high uses a shit ton of overlapping alpha (that is also shadowed and shaded!). It is pretty crazy.

Thought it might be the alphas. Crazy how many they seem to apply. Not the first game to go hard with alphas in a weirdly contextual situation, and it always strikes me as a kinda brute force and totally inefficient method to generate an effect.

fastmower

Does anybody have an idea why I cant enable DSR on my nvidia control panel? When I click the drop down, its just empty of settings. I tried reinstalling the drivers already.

Windows 10 x64
EVGA 970

Thought it might be the alphas. Crazy how many they seem to apply. Not the first game to go hard with alphas in a weirdly contextual situation, and it always strikes me as a kinda brute force and totally inefficient method to generate an effect.

It is. Espeically when one considers the fact that a physicalized volumetric fluid like in batman AK is even cheaper. Christ.

Angry Fork

I get stuttering during the pre-rendered cutscenes. Ingame cutscenes and gameplay is fine and 60fps. Anybody have this issue or know how to fix it?

Top Bottom